Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)  (Read 46473 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)
« Reply #810 on: October 06, 2015, 04:27:20 AM »
>"And yes, it is alright. It'll give me a chance to get all the rest I can get. I will need it."

« Reply #811 on: October 06, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »
>"And yes, it is alright. It'll give me a chance to get all the rest I can get. I will need it."

>You accept the ticket as Kyouko nods. "Right!" Then she looks out at the waiting vessel, placid and colorful, and grins.
>"I've never taken the ferry before. I'm sure it'll be fun! Uh, not to make light of any of this," she adds sheepishly. "...sorry."

« Reply #812 on: October 07, 2015, 01:47:29 AM »
>"Don't worry about it."
>"In fact, I think we oughta clear something up while it's come up. You're an energetic girl, Kyouko, and I like that about you. Don't feel like you need to try not to be that while we're making this trip. It's a quest, not a funeral march. A little enthusiasm can go a long way sometimes."

« Reply #813 on: October 07, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
>"Don't worry about it."
>"In fact, I think we oughta clear something up while it's come up. You're an energetic girl, Kyouko, and I like that about you. Don't feel like you need to try not to be that while we're making this trip. It's a quest, not a funeral march. A little enthusiasm can go a long way sometimes."

>A tentative smile tugs at her face. "It's a quest, not a funeral march. Right!"
>And with that she bounds over to the ferry attendant and brandishes her ticket with a grin. "Here you go!"

« Reply #814 on: October 08, 2015, 02:40:14 AM »
>Well we can't match her energy, we can match her course. Do likewise.

« Reply #815 on: October 22, 2015, 06:12:22 AM »
>Well we can't match her energy, we can match her course. Do likewise.

>Trailing lethargically behind Kyouko, you hand in your own ticket and ascend the gangway after her.
>?I'm going to take a look around!? she says as you step onto the ferry and is almost halfway across the deck before you can even finish replying.

>While your energetic companion explores her new surroundings, you head straight for your cabin and dump your pack onto the floor with a weary sigh. You've hardly been up yet today, and already the bed looks tempting. You swear someone's been loading your pack down with rocks; just how much of this stuff do you even need for the rest of the trip, anyway? You collapse heavily on the edge of your berth and peer out the window. What a useless, grey, and blurry day it is. At least you don't have to go anywhere or do anything for another 28 hours or so; maybe you can squeeze a few days worth of rest into one and actually have enough energy to make it back to Yuuka's.

>Time passes. You don't really have much to occupy your attention, but the idea of milling around with your fellow travellers holds even less appeal. Your room, at least, is peaceful, private, and quiet ? well, mostly. Your ears are still in better shape than your eyes, and every now and again you can hear Kyouko's excitable voice floating to you from one end of the ferry and then the other. Is she stopping to strike up a conversation with every single person on the boat? Well, that's fine, you guess. You even find yourself smiling a little. This isn't a funeral march, after all. ...at least not for her.
>Eventually, you hear the rumble of the engines spinning up as your ship begins its departure. For want of anything else to do, you stare out the window and watch the city drift by, but the longer you struggle with your dying eyesight, the more frustrated you become, and eventually just yank the curtain closed again. Somewhere overhead, Kyouko seems to be vigorously debating her favorite variety of orange.

>At some point, you may have nodded off ? the malaise in your mind makes little distinction between waking and sleep ? but the pang in your stomach grows more insistent the longer you ignore it. You've actually eaten very little lately, and haven't really wanted to eat any more than that, to be honest, but it seems your body isn't quite ready to subsist on mist just yet. With a leaden sigh, you hoist yourself off the berth and step outside your little sanctuary in search of food. Your timing is uncanny.

>?Oh! Hi, Nazrin!? Kyouko waves from the staircase at the end of the hall, and is beside you in just a couple of breaths. ?I was just going to go get something to eat. Do you want to have supper together??
>Strictly speaking, you don't really want to have supper where anyone else can see you, but... well.... Maybe you'll make an exception this once. For her.

>?Great!? Kyouko's face lights up; even her ears seem to mirror her smile. You might have asked just how prehensile those really are, if she hadn't started marching down the hallway almost immediately.
?I hear their alfredo is really, really good, and every time I've walked past the dining room, I've just gotten hungrier and hungrier. How do the cooks handle it, I wonder? I know if I was a cook, it'd take all the willpower I had not to keep stopping to eat my own work.? She giggles.

>The ship's restaurant is a little busy when you arrive, and bright enough with idle chatter to be grating, but you still manage to find an unoccupied table a comfortable distance from your fellow travellers. Kyouko defers to your choice without complaint, though you're sure she'd be just as happy to sit in the middle of the bustle.

>?How are you feeling?? she asks in a more subdued tone.
>Not great, of course. Maybe a little better for your idleness, maybe not. Probably as good as you can expect under the circumstances. Though she can't quite keep the stirrings of concern from her face, she nods, and then the waiter is there to take your orders.

>You reprise last trip's meal, and even then only make it through your sandwich a nibble at a time, though it does satisfy. Kyouko, on the other hand.... Well, the alferdo's a must, and the grilled chicken veloute sounds awfully tasty, and you say the red pepper bisque comes highly recommended? Well, I'll have a bowl of that, too, and some of those little crostini things, and that strawberry cheesecake the woman over there is eating looks delicious, and sure I'll have a glass of sherry! Ooo, lemony!
>?Would almost be worth the trip just to eat here,? she says as she puckers her lips at the astringent aftertaste. ?I've never really been on a cruise before, so I ought to try and enjoy it to the fullest, don't you think? Waiter, another glass of sherry!?
>And so the meal passes, pleasant food and pleasant company. Though half-blind and weary to your soul, for just a moment you could almost forget what lies ahead and find something in the now worth enjoying. It's... not a bad feeling.

>?You want to go look at the stars? There's a full moon out, and the clouds were all gone last time I was on deck.? She swirls the last of the sherry in her glass, watching the lights dance upon its surface.

>There's a dozen reasons to say no. The crowds, the exhaustion, the fact that you need every bit of rest you can get if you're going to survive the next few days. It's not like you haven't seen stars before; they haven't moved in an awfully long time, after all.
>And yet, you say none of these things. At first, you're not even sure why. You can't blame the alcohol this time ? Kyouko's the only one who's been drinking. You can't even blame the blight, and the way it's left your mind addled and foggy ? not if you're honest with yourself. In truth, the reason is as simple as it is sentimental.

>You said yes because you didn't want to leave.

>And so Kyouko deposits her glass beside the stack of empty dishes, the two of you settle your bill, and then she leads you up to the furthest tip of the observation deck, nearly to the end of the bow. The scent of fresh spray tickles your nose as the ferry churns the river before it. Along either side, forested hills drift gently by. The night air is cool, but there is a peaceful cheer on Kyouko's face as she gazes up at the sky.

>?They're so pretty, aren't they? Out here, away from all the lights of the city.?
>You don't have the heart to tell her that you can't see them anymore. Even the full moon is just a vague suggestion of light now. But, of all the people you've met on this journey, if this is the one with whom you spend your last peaceful evening... well, you suppose that's not so bad. Before you even realize what you're doing, your fingers have crept along the railing to brush against hers. You hesitate, and then she places her hand on top of yours and holds it gently, delicate fingers slipping in between your own. You swallow.

>?Yeah. Yeah, they are.?

>The light of the next day is already fading when you hear the first gentle knock upon your door, though in truth, you've already been awake for a while ? just not quite awake enough to leave the comfort of your bed. But the engines have slowed nearly to a crawl now, and you know you must be close to your destination. You take a deep breath and steel yourself. It's time to go get that flower and put an end to this.

« Reply #816 on: October 22, 2015, 07:38:30 AM »
>Let's head back up on deck.
>How much longer has our hair grown since we started this whole sleigh ride?

« Reply #817 on: October 22, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
>Let's head back up on deck.

>You grab your pack, get dressed, and head for the deck. You... actually feel improved, the weariness in your body less total. You can do this. You will do this.
>Kyouko meets you on deck, a smile on her face as always.
>"We're here!" she says, stating the obvious. "It's a little more quiet than I thought it'd be."

>How much longer has our hair grown since we started this whole sleigh ride?

>Not very much. It's only been about two weeks, after all.

« Reply #818 on: October 22, 2015, 07:58:11 AM »
>Do we have time for breakfast before docking?
>Does this boat offer breakfast before docking?

« Reply #819 on: October 22, 2015, 08:02:35 AM »
>Do we have time for breakfast before docking?
>Does this boat offer breakfast before docking?

>You're already docked. Also, it's just about sunset, so there isn't likely to be breakfast for anyone at this point. It's still possible some establishment in town would be able to serve you something that could pass for breakfast, though.

« Reply #820 on: October 22, 2015, 08:55:37 AM »
>Well, then.
>"This place is a lot more low-key than the big city."

« Reply #821 on: October 22, 2015, 09:16:03 AM »
>Well, then.
>"This place is a lot more low-key than the big city."

>"A lot more low-key." She takes a sharp breath of air and looks out upon the town. "It's kind of quaint, though, with all the houses nestled in the hillside. And everyone has a riverfront view. Well, almost."

« Reply #822 on: October 22, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »
>"Have you ever been to a place like this before?"

« Reply #823 on: October 22, 2015, 09:56:04 AM »
>"Have you ever been to a place like this before?"

>"I haven't done a lot of traveling," she says. "I really do mean to someday. But the village by my mountain is even smaller, if that's what you mean."

« Reply #824 on: October 22, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »
>"That is one of the bigger upsides of being a Seeker, is the journeys. I'm sure that someone like me could find jobs enough to keep me in a place like Val Razua through my life, but that wouldn't be as interesting as hitting the road." Quickly, "Not that Val R's boring, of course, but.. Well you know what I mean."

« Reply #825 on: October 22, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »
>"That is one of the bigger upsides of being a Seeker, is the journeys. I'm sure that someone like me could find jobs enough to keep me in a place like Val Razua through my life, but that wouldn't be as interesting as hitting the road." Quickly, "Not that Val R's boring, of course, but.. Well you know what I mean."

>She grins. "A true explorer."

« Reply #826 on: October 22, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »
>Grin wryly. "Well, not for a while once this is over. After I get home, I'm taking a vacation."

« Reply #827 on: October 22, 2015, 11:01:37 AM »
>Grin wryly. "Well, not for a while once this is over. After I get home, I'm taking a vacation."

>"A well-earned vacation, I think!" She grins. "Well, shall we get started?"

« Reply #828 on: October 22, 2015, 11:07:01 AM »
>Presumably we have discussed the route we'll be taking with her to get where we're going, yes?
>If not, we can do so after we disembark.
>So, disembark.

« Reply #829 on: October 22, 2015, 11:41:22 AM »
>Presumably we have discussed the route we'll be taking with her to get where we're going, yes?
>If not, we can do so after we disembark.
>So, disembark.

>You've discussed it briefly and showed her your maps, though in truth most of the trip could be summed up by 'lots and lots of trees and hills' and apparently she was born somewhere not so dissimilar to that. She may not have your navigational skills, but she's assured you she can keep pace with you.
>You descend the gangway with Kyouko and disembark, feeling better than you have for several days. Maybe you'll pull this off, after all.

« Reply #830 on: October 22, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
>We're pretty well rested, so we probably don't need to spend the night here in town, do we?

« Reply #831 on: October 22, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
>We're pretty well rested, so we probably don't need to spend the night here in town, do we?

>You've barely been awake an hour now, and you got plenty of sleep on the ferry. Any delay like that seems counterproductive.

« Reply #832 on: October 22, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
>So we can just hit the road right away?
>If so, then do just that.

« Reply #833 on: October 26, 2015, 08:23:35 AM »
>So we can just hit the road right away?
>If so, then do just that.

>Feeling energized and in no mood to delay, the two of you set forth from Isir's Cross immediately. You'll need to stop for food before too long, but you can do that after putting a few miles between you and the ferry. With purpose in your stride and Kyouko trailing just behind, you cross the bridge, make it past the fort, and are firmly into the woods before the sun is fully down.

>You're making pretty good time, all things considered ? not as fast as your first expedition into the woods, but better than the return trip. It's enough to spark an ember of hope, even if your failing eyesight is causing more trouble than you'd like to admit. Fortunately, most of the truly important landmarks are still too large for even that damnable haze to obscure them.

>Kyouko keeps pace with you easily, and seems to be genuinely enjoying the hike; she bends to look at flowers, smiles at the flutter of birds, and bursts into a spirited rendition of a passing thrush with a carefree smile on her face.
>?It's been a long time since I've been away from the city,? she says, taking a deep breath of the mossy air. ?It's nice out here. Reminds me a little of my old home, actually. And it's nice not to have to hold back, sometimes.?
>It's slightly unnerving at first, hearing her speaking words to you one moment, then echoing fragments of birdsong the next, but it's with such carefree earnestness that you can't really bring yourself to object. She's already come a very long way on very little notice. If she can manage to find some happiness in this emergency expedition, well... so much the better, you suppose.

>Your path across the Grau is more pedestrian this time. Even if you were in good enough shape to pull off that trick with the grappling hook (which, frankly, you're probably not), you're certainly not about to ask Kyouko to replicate it. Fortunately, it seems the trail comes to a natural ford when one doesn't leave it behind to chase after fairies. You carefully tread the rocks that bridge the banks and Kyouko follows lightly after you, giggling when an errant spray from the river splashes an ankle.

>You stop for a light snack about an hour later, nibbling at some of your rations while Kyouko tosses back at least three times as much of her own ? though a quick glance inside her pack suggests she's provisioned herself quite amply.
>As you nurse a strip of jerky, you find your thoughts drifting back to Kagerou; though the most direct route doesn't pass by her house, you're not so far away from it it right now. After all this time, she probably thinks you're dead, doesn't she? Well, she's only half wrong. But despite that somber thought, you find the traces of a wry grin creeping onto your face. She still owes you a room and a meal, doesn't she? A meal might be a dangerous thing to owe with Kyouko's in tow. You'd never assume someone so slight would have such a big appetite; she must burn it all off again with that boundless enthusiasm of hers.

>The last leg of the trip before the underwater passage is slower without Kagerou to lead the way, but a river is a hard thing to miss when your hearing still works. It's just... slower. But that's okay; you're slower, too.
>Actually, that's not really okay at all, but it's the reality you're stuck with, and there's no point in pretending otherwise.

>Eventually, you emerge onto the river again and follow it eastward. You're definitely in the general vicinity of the passage now, but as the minutes pass without sighting that distinctive quartz formation, you start to grow concerned.  Are you not yet at the right part of the river, or are you too blind now to spot it?

« Reply #834 on: November 11, 2015, 02:31:49 AM »
Apologies for the long and unexpected delay, folks. The family had a couple of medical issues that took my time and attention away from this site, culminating in me developing a migraine from which I'm only now mostly recovered from.

>We can douse for quartz, yes?

« Reply #835 on: November 11, 2015, 04:40:24 AM »
>We can douse for quartz, yes?

>You can. And while quartz is one of the most abundant minerals around, such a large formation should still be easy to discern from this range. Well, under ordinary circumstances, anyway.

« Reply #836 on: November 11, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »
>Assuming our extra senses aren't malfunctioning as much as our more mundane ones are, let us pause and see if we can scan for that formation.

« Reply #837 on: November 11, 2015, 11:26:51 PM »
>Assuming our extra senses aren't malfunctioning as much as our more mundane ones are, let us pause and see if we can scan for that formation.

>Dowsing is precise, exacting work that calls for intense focus and keen perception. A few weeks ago, you would have rated yourself very highly in those areas. These days, you consider things to be going pretty well if you can simply walk in a straight line for an hour or two without falling over. But maybe you can still dowse for that quartz more easily than you can spot it with your eyes; it would certainly be hard for your dowsing to be much worse. You already know the general direction, which helps, and you know what it is you're looking for, which helps even more. If all the resonances around you blend into static, that's okay - they don't matter. Tune them out. You can still do that, right? Kyouko watches silently as you slowly sweep your rods across the far bank of the river, straining to discern that single, clear note from an entire wall of rock.
>...a little under half a mile eastward. Probably. No, definitely. You were already going in the right direction, it seems - you just emerged onto the river further up than you expected.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:35:05 PM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #838 on: November 12, 2015, 12:49:23 AM »
>Mutter, "That could've been worse."
>Wait a sec, had we mentioned our dousing power to Kyouko before?

« Reply #839 on: November 12, 2015, 01:12:15 AM »
>Mutter, "That could've been worse."
>Wait a sec, had we mentioned our dousing power to Kyouko before?

>"Are you alright?" she asks with an expression of concern.
>It's come up in brief. It's not an altogether unique skill, even if you'd considered yourself a cut above most. You doubt you're the first dowser she's heard of.