Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)  (Read 42791 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2013, 07:49:18 PM »
>Grin. "You named your bonsai?"
>Apply bittercress to table.

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2013, 12:35:14 AM »
>Grin. "You named your bonsai?"
>Apply bittercress to table.

>"I did! I think it's happier with a name!"
>You deposit your bittercress next to the taciturn Koki-san. If he is grateful for the company, he gives no sign of it.
>"Wait, did you say you wanted tea or not?" Kyouko asks as you hear the metallic clinking of the kettle swing in her hands.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2013, 12:44:49 AM »
>Shrug. "I wouldn't say no to a good cup. It'll help clear our heads after the drinking we did, that's for sure. Wouldn't want to impose too much though, so only go for it if you want to."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2013, 01:15:06 AM »
>Shrug. "I wouldn't say no to a good cup. It'll help clear our heads after the drinking we did, that's for sure. Wouldn't want to impose too much though, so only go for it if you want to."

>"Sure!"
>You hear Kyouko fill the kettle with water, then stoke the stove and set the back kettle upon it. Then she reappears beside you and thrusts a small round rice cake at you before you can fully turn around.
>"Here, have some mochi!" You note one in her other hand with a large bite missing.

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2013, 07:37:48 AM »
>Don't say no to free mochi too often, neithers.
>"Thanks."
>Accept and nom.

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2013, 07:50:32 AM »
>Don't say no to free mochi too often, neithers.
>"Thanks."
>Accept and nom.

>You accept the proferred mochi and munch into it. It's a little dry, actually, and you're still pretty stuffed from dinner, but your sweet tooth doesn't find too much to complain about nonetheless. Kyouko noms another big bite out of hers, then turns and heads back to the kitchen.
>"Oh!" She stops mid-stride, ears flipping upward. "You need someplace to sleep!"

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2013, 08:32:53 AM »
>Nod, then glance around.
>"All I really need is a place to stretch out or curl up, is all."

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2013, 08:57:48 AM »
>Nod, then glance around.
>"All I really need is a place to stretch out or curl up, is all."

>Kyouko shakes her head vehemently. "Nononono, that would just be mean. Mean!" she repeats. "I'll find you something!"
>And with that she dashes into one of the adjoining rooms, leaving the door half-ajar behind her - a bedroom, by the looks of it, and not a very large one. You hear another door slide open and the sounds of frenzied rummaging accompanied by meandering commentary.
>"Something... something... wrong something... Ah, there we- ooops, no, you're a towel, silly." The yamabiko starts to giggle. Then there is a dull thud. Kyouko yelps, but almost immediately resumes her laughter. "Oh, hello there! I wondered where you'd gone and hid yourself."

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2013, 09:44:18 AM »
>"That's not really necessary."
>... is what we want to say, but saying it would more than likely do very little to dissuade her efforts.
>So instead, merely crane our neck to see what fell on her head. If we can.

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2013, 10:04:40 AM »
>"That's not really necessary."
>... is what we want to say, but saying it would more than likely do very little to dissuade her efforts.
>So instead, merely crane our neck to see what fell on her head. If we can.

>You decide to save your breath and not protest, instead poking your head around to see what just fell on your energetic and still somewhat tipsy host.
>Said host is standing before a small but packed-looking closet and strewn at her feet are pillows and sheets and blankets - and a bright yellow towel - as well as assorted other knickknacks. A large watermelon-colored candle still rolling across the floor is the most likely source of the noise, you think, but what she seems most taken with at the moment is a large red sombrero in her hands, its rim stitched with some kind of sun motif. She is presently engaged in an attempt to poke proper volume back into its rather flattened form.

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2013, 10:45:10 AM »
>Well, one doesn't invite oneself into a girl's room when she's poking at things to get them properly shaped. Not on the first night one knows that girl, anyway.
>If she asks, on the other hand...
>"Need a hand in there?"

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »
>Well, one doesn't invite oneself into a girl's room when she's poking at things to get them properly shaped. Not on the first night one knows that girl, anyway.
>If she asks, on the other hand...
>"Need a hand in there?"

>You ponder the propriety of wandering into another girl's bedroom for a moment, but then decide to ask whether the girl in question could actually use some help with her rummaging.
>"I'm good!" she chirps, then turns to towards you, sombrero extended. "Isn't this thing neat? Just watch!"
>And with that she gives one of the sun motifs a flick with her finger and then another. There is a pause. She frowns, then starts flicking several other points along the voluminous hat's brim. You can see her brow slowly furrow.

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »
>What is the history and area of origin of the sombraro, and do we know why poking one would provoke a response from the hat itself, rather than the being upon whose head it rests?

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:40 AM »
>You're not actually sure where they're from - some kind of highly regional ethnic thing, you think. You once saw an even more flamboyant and oversized one pass through Rinnosuke's collection at one point, but never asked too many questions about it. And you have no idea what at all Kyouko's trying to accomplish by poking it.

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
>"Something.... not working?"

« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
>"Something.... not working?"

>"Not working...." she repeats mournfully, still prodding the jumbo head covering. Then you hear a faint shimmering; the suns light up and Kyouko's face along with them. Then there is a squeezing sound and in the space of no more than a second, the hat spins and twists and contorts itself in something resembling a brightly colored bread roll, yet even smaller; you could probably fit two in the palm of your hand.
>Kyouko beams at you. "Neat, isn't it?"

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2013, 12:36:10 PM »
>Some form of enchantment?
>"Where'd you come by that?"

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2013, 12:54:41 PM »
>Some form of enchantment?
>"Where'd you come by that?"

>Well, it certainly didn't coil itself into this compact a form by mechanical means.
>"I picked it up at a traveling market a few years back," she says. "From some oni with a fake mustache. It's a bit large to actually wear very often, but I thought it was nifty! It's kinda easy to lose when it's this small though," she adds in a quieter tone.

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2013, 01:03:09 PM »
>But nothing we could detect on our own, presumably.
>An oni with a fake moustache? Laugh at the thought.

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2013, 01:16:20 PM »
>But nothing we could detect on our own, presumably.
>An oni with a fake moustache? Laugh at the thought.

>Well, you don't think it's a particularly powerful enchantment, though you assume you could detect it just fine if you dowsed for it. Though it's possible that it is latent, and only gives off an aura of any kind during its... transformation.
>You can't help but laugh at the idea of an oni with a fake mustache peddling miniature giant hats. What in the world kind of market was this, anyway?

>"Oh! I've got you some blankets," Kyouko says, lifting a substantial-looking woolen one off the floor as if to demonstrate the sincerity of her claims. She fidgets. "I... don't actually have a spare futon or anything for you, sorry. I don't usually have guests. But if we pile enough blankets on the floor," she adds hopefully, "it should be almost as good as one, right?"

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2013, 02:32:57 PM »
>Is it notably cold in here, and did we get the feeling it will be a cold night?

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »
>Is it notably cold in here, and did we get the feeling it will be a cold night?

>It's been a surprisingly cool night for the season, but still not truly cold, and Kyouko's apartment is a fairly reasonable temperature; you don't anticipate any unusual need for insulation.

« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »
>"I think we can get by just fine. I really don't need much, after all. "

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »
>"I think we can get by just fine. I really don't need much, after all. "

>"Well... as long as you're comfy," she says, looking up at you with a trace of sheepish hesitation on her face. "It's no good if you're not comfy. This is a no un-comfy zone, right here!" She gestures decisively with her sombrero roll.

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2013, 04:03:08 PM »
>Chuckle. "I hear ya loud and clear."

« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2013, 02:33:21 AM »
>Chuckle. "I hear ya loud and clear."

>She nods. "Right!"
>And with that, she pokes the sombrero roll back into the closet, leans down and picks up the largest blanket, and then carries it back out to the main room where she stands examining her furniture critically.
>"Going to have to move a few things around," she says.
>Tucking the blanket awkwardly beneath one arm, she starts to slowly push the table aside.

« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2013, 06:18:21 AM »
>Grab the other end and pitch in. We pull our own weight.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2013, 06:22:50 AM »
>If it seems plausible for the two of us, suggest lifting it up. No need to scuff of the floor.

« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2013, 07:03:55 AM »
>Grab the other end and pitch in. We pull our own weight.
>If it seems plausible for the two of us, suggest lifting it up. No need to scuff of the floor.

>Not content to let your host labor alone on your behalf, you move around to the other end of the table and suggest the two of you lift it instead.
>"Oh! Oh, that works, too."
>Kyouko deposits the blanket on top of the table, then crouches a little to get a grip on her side. You do likewise and the pair of you carefully shift it against the left wall of the room, freeing up enough open space on the other side for you to stretch out upon. Even if you will still be vaguely in the way of Kyouko's bedroom door.

>The yamabiko regards the newly created space and lets out a contented sigh. "Right!" Then she grabs the blanket and spreads it out across the floor, fussing just a little to get the corners neat and straight, then darts back into her bedroom.

« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2013, 08:13:37 AM »
>Didn't she have the kettle on? Is it boiling yet?
>"'nother blanket and a spare pillow, and I'm good for the night."