Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47584 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #870 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:52 AM »
>Are we hungry enough for both?

>That really depends on the portion size, and a quick glance around the restaurant suggests the servings are pretty ample. You'd probably be fine with just one of them.

« Reply #871 on: January 29, 2013, 08:56:53 AM »
>We haven't consumed any alcohol since we got poisoned, have we?

« Reply #872 on: January 29, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »
>We haven't consumed any alcohol since we got poisoned, have we?

>If by poisoned you mean diseased, then no, you have not. The last time you had any alcohol was at the celebration party for you becoming a full Seeker. Man, that feels like an age ago now....

« Reply #873 on: January 29, 2013, 09:12:17 AM »
>Poisoned, diseased, blighted, corrupted, infected, we're still licked if we can't fix it.
>"They do serve sake here, too, right?"

« Reply #874 on: January 29, 2013, 09:16:23 AM »
>Poisoned, diseased, blighted, corrupted, infected, we're still licked if we can't fix it.
>"They do serve sake here, too, right?"

>It does seem likely that fastidiousness of nomenclature will not save you.
>"They do serve sake here!" she replies. "I don't think it's as good as the food, but it's not bad."

« Reply #875 on: January 29, 2013, 09:30:43 AM »
>"More's the better. I'm not big on drinking, but today I could use a cup or two of hot sake."

« Reply #876 on: January 29, 2013, 09:43:49 AM »
>"More's the better. I'm not big on drinking, but today I could use a cup or two of hot sake."

>Kyouko bobs her head twice. "Maybe I will, too."

« Reply #877 on: January 29, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
>A drunk yamabiko. More to the point, a drunk Kyouko. Our ears might not survive.
>"Do you have sake very often?"

« Reply #878 on: January 29, 2013, 10:11:24 AM »
>A drunk yamabiko. More to the point, a drunk Kyouko. Our ears might not survive.
>"Do you have sake very often?"

>You don't know what kind of drunk Kyouko makes, but as loud as she is sober, you find yourself already bracing.
>"Sometimes!" she says. "Not that often, I suppose."

« Reply #879 on: January 29, 2013, 10:16:53 AM »
>On the other hand, she might be one of those drunks that can't go thirty seconds without hugging someone. Hmmm... All in all the better option, though our shoulders and/or back might complain come the morning.
>Ah, well, we'll worry about that when the need arises. Now, where's that waitress?

« Reply #880 on: January 29, 2013, 11:05:56 AM »
>On the other hand, she might be one of those drunks that can't go thirty seconds without hugging someone. Hmmm... All in all the better option, though our shoulders and/or back might complain come the morning.
>Ah, well, we'll worry about that when the need arises. Now, where's that waitress?

>As you ponder other possibilities from a drunken Kyouko, a dark-haired woman in a navy blue kosode approaches your table with an expression of cordial hospitality.
>"What can I get for you this evening?" she asks.
>"I'll have a double serving of honey pork ramen," Kyouko says, "And a small bottle of... hmmm... what kind of sake goes well with that?"
>"The Nakazashi Junmai is quite popular," the waitress adds smoothly.
>Kyouko grins. "The Nakazashi Junmai it is!"
>The waitress nods, then with her first customer seemingly satisfied, turns her gaze toward you.

« Reply #881 on: January 29, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »
>"I'll have what she's having. Though just a single serving for me."

« Reply #882 on: January 29, 2013, 11:19:49 AM »
>"I'll have what she's having. Though just a single serving for me."

>"Does that include the sake as well?" the waitress asks.

« Reply #883 on: January 29, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »
>If we are familiar enough to have a particular favourite type, then ask for that.
>If we do not, "Definately."

« Reply #884 on: January 29, 2013, 11:35:54 AM »
>If we are familiar enough to have a particular favourite type, then ask for that.
>If we do not, "Definately."

>You aren't a big drinker and much of what you have had is local fare from back home - which if it can be gotten at all in Val Razua is almost certainly more expensive than the regular stuff. You opt to go with Kyouko's choice.
>The waitress nods politely, then turns and departs. Kyouko leans in towards you and grins.
>"So... those stories you promised?"

« Reply #885 on: January 29, 2013, 11:39:37 AM »
>Lean back and temple our fingers.
>"Yesss.... Where to begin....?"

« Reply #886 on: January 30, 2013, 03:27:01 AM »
>Lean back and temple our fingers.
>"Yesss.... Where to begin....?"

>You lean back and ponder what sort of story you should start with. And of course there are a lot of things you could recount, if you wished to - your time as an apprentice, misadventures you personally experienced with Marisa or those that have become attributed to her by legend, or perhaps even a couple of the other jobs you've completed since you got your badge.
>"Wherever you like!" Kyouko replies. "I'm listening!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #887 on: January 30, 2013, 03:31:27 AM »
>Let's begin at the beginning of our apprenticeship. It will help build appreciation of other subtle details.

« Reply #888 on: January 30, 2013, 09:19:52 AM »
>Let's begin at the beginning of our apprenticeship. It will help build appreciation of other subtle details.

>You decide to start your tale at the beginning, or at least the beginning of your time with the Seekers. You mention the entrance screening, adjusting to apprentice housing and city life in general, the staggering culinary ineptitude of some of your peers, and the kinds of things apprentices are generally expected to be able to do. Much of it wouldn't strike you as especially worth listening to except as reference material for aspiring Seekers, but Kyouko seems genuinely interested and you find even yourself getting into the tale by its telling after a while; the appreciative audience probably helps with that. Kyouko regularly prompts for more details and lets her curiosity about apprentice life and Seeker education run freely. And you are glad of it, frankly - it saves you the trouble of having to figure out what to say.

>Partway through your recounting of the time-honored trial of the disappearing house keys, the waitress returns with a large tray laden with two great steaming bowls of ramen and a pair of narrow ceramic flasks with matching sake cups. Kyouko eyes her meal with a salivating stare and you actually find yourself having restrain a similar one; the aroma which wafts across your nose as the waitress deposits your meal is mouthwatering and does not set false expectations. The broth has a light sweetness and the meat is very fresh and tender, and the volume of noodles is ample indeed.
>Your companion digs in almost immediately, hungrily slurping her noodles with a fervor that nearly skirts the edge of polite behavior though without ever quite going over, and even manages to still keep her eyes on you nearly the whole time you are speaking. Though to be perfectly fair, your own meal makes an engaging distraction of itself. Still, you continue your storytelling between mouthfuls and Kyouko somehow manages to find the breath to ask questions.
>You pour yourself a cup of the hot sake and take a careful sip. There is a sharp, dry taste to it, perhaps a little strong for your palate, but not entirely unpleasant. Though the bottle you ordered is not large, you're still unsure if you'll be inclined to make your way through all of it tonight, particularly given the volume of your meal. Kyouko, on the other hand, exhibits no such reservations, downing her first cup with little hesitation and refilling it when she hits the bottom. And then nearly spraying it across the table when you hit the punchline of a very unfortunate incident involving an inebriated reindeer and a mislabeled potion of levitation. Thankfully, she manages to clamp her mouth closed in time, though a chorus of snorted giggles still follows.

>Time passes with surprising contentment as you take in the warm meal and warm drink in warm company. Kyouko reaches the bottom of her bowl well before you do; almost presciently, the waitress is back at your table with a second. You have to stifle just a little skepticism as the yamabiko sets upon another helping, glancing down at the still-considerable remains of your own. As delicious as this is, there's no doubt in your mind that you'll be fully sated by the time you're done - you practically already are, though the succulent strips of meat still resting in the broth are a little hard to say no to. A second bowl, however, would be completely out of the question. Raising a dubious eyebrow at the cheerful girl, you snag another piece of pork with your chopsticks and figure out what to mention next.
>Fortunately your audience remains easy to please. As expected, Marisa turns out to be quite a hit, particularly when you indulge in some of the more grandiose rumors about the impetuous Seeker which she has never quite denied. Normally you'd be more cynical about how much mind should be paid to such things - you've partnered with Marisa, after all, and you've seen in person that she's not infallible - but somehow you find yourself playing to your audience and smiling inwardly when you draw laughter from the bright-eyed girl. While your own sake consumption has been temperate enough to only distantly feel its brush against your consciousness, as the meal goes on, you notice a mild but definite flush creep across Kyouko's face, even despite the volume of food she's consumed and still consuming; giggles seem to come more readily and with less discretion, and the sharpness of her teal eyes grows faintly dreamy.

>"Do you ever miss traveling with her?" Kyouko asks.

« Reply #889 on: January 30, 2013, 09:47:51 AM »
>"Yes and no."
>*slurp*
>"Being out on my own is a statement that I can make it on my own. That I didn't need her looking over my shoulder any more. I'm the kind of girl that needs to be able to take care of herself."
>*swig*
>"But that mage was a lot of fun. More than that, she's a friend. A good friend, one of the best I've ever had. She'd have my back in a heartbeat, and there's been a couple times when I sure wish she'dve been there."

« Reply #890 on: January 30, 2013, 09:55:11 AM »
>"Yes and no."
>*slurp*
>"Being out on my own is a statement that I can make it on my own. That I didn't need her looking over my shoulder any more. I'm the kind of girl that needs to be able to take care of herself."
>*swig*
>"But that mage was a lot of fun. More than that, she's a friend. A good friend, one of the best I've ever had. She'd have my back in a heartbeat, and there's been a couple times when I sure wish she'dve been there."

>Between noodles and sake, you give Kyouko both sides of the truth of the matter. She nods along as you assert your independence, then grins almost indulgently as you mention the times you wish Marisa was closer at hand.
>"Awww... you do miss her," she says. "But I have faith in you, Nazrin! ...whatever it is that needs having faith about," she finishes with a slightly puzzled look.

« Reply #891 on: January 30, 2013, 10:32:13 AM »
>Chuckle. "I suppose a little faith here and there never hurts. Thanks."

« Reply #892 on: January 30, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »
>Chuckle. "I suppose a little faith here and there never hurts. Thanks."

>"It never hurts!" she declares brightly. "And you're welcome!"
>She slurps up another mouthful of noodles.

« Reply #893 on: January 30, 2013, 10:37:46 AM »
>So far as we know, does Marisa ever get out this way much?

« Reply #894 on: January 30, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »
>So far as we know, does Marisa ever get out this way much?

>You think she may have originally been from this area, actually, but she doesn't talk about it much and you don't think she spends much time here these days either. But you (along with most of the rest of the guild) also don't really know her comings and goings all that well.

« Reply #895 on: January 30, 2013, 10:45:55 AM »
>"I get the feeling you and her would get along well if your paths ever crossed."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:49:16 AM by Sourfang, Seeker of Winter »

« Reply #896 on: January 30, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »
>How hard has that sake been hitting us?
>"I get the feeling you and her would get along well if your paths ever crossed."

>Not very hard given your mild consumption of it, but you can still feel a slight hint of its effects upon you.
>"We might!" Kyouko says. "She sounds fun!" Then she giggles quietly.

« Reply #897 on: January 30, 2013, 10:52:41 AM »
>"Oh, she is at that."
>Assuming we still have a story or two left over about Marisa, either from our own time or her vaunted reputation, let us regale Kyouko with it, she likes Marisa stories.

« Reply #898 on: January 30, 2013, 11:23:16 AM »
>"Oh, she is at that."
>Assuming we still have a story or two left over about Marisa, either from our own time or her vaunted reputation, let us regale Kyouko with it, she likes Marisa stories.

>"She is at that!" Kyouko declares with a confident and knowing nod of the head, then takes another swig of sake.

>Certainly you can find another story or two if you're willing to draw upon the wealth of hearsay that has followed in the starry magician's wake. After debating for a moment if this might make the girl look too bad, you start in upon the time she accidentally sent a master spark through the front door of the wrong house.
>It was... well, she probably meant well - she usually does, after all - but there was a very unfortunate mixup in information, no doubt compounded by Marisa not waiting long enough to confirm all the details. And it would probably have been alright if not for the fact that a house frequently encounters structural problems when parts of its front wall are missing. In the end, no one was injured, her contract was miraculously fulfilled, and she inadvertently saved someone's life by the time the whole affair was done, though many people (yourself included) suspect she could have done so without the collateral real estate damage. But you suppose it makes the tale more dramatic; Kyouko certain seems to enjoy it, though ever now and again she seems to lose track of the sequence of events. Well, you guess they were a little bit tangled....

>"And it all worked out in the end," she says with a lazy smile, then frowns slightly. "Except for that house, I suppose. Was it a nice house?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #899 on: January 30, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
>Was it a nice house?
>"Well, it worked out except for the people whose house was destroyed."