Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47583 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #840 on: January 27, 2013, 03:05:32 AM »
>Chuckle. "Well, I'm not planning on it. I'm just saying I can sort of see the unprepared traveler thinking hard about it."

>"That wouldn't be good," she says, shaking her head. "Some of the Houses take their parks very seriously."

>"Though maybe at the edge of town, if I can't get some money coming in..."

>Kyouko frowns. "Really? I thought Seekers always had lots of money...."

« Reply #841 on: January 27, 2013, 03:17:51 AM »
>"Most of us do fairly well, but there's a lot of Seekers that wouldn't be able to make it here. I think I'll be okay, for now. If I had to stay here for a while, that'd be a different tale."

« Reply #842 on: January 27, 2013, 03:24:39 AM »
>"Most of us do fairly well, but there's a lot of Seekers that wouldn't be able to make it here. I think I'll be okay, for now. If I had to stay here for a while, that'd be a different tale."

>"Oh." Kyouko somehow does not look entirely convinced and for a moment even throws you a concerned glance, poorly concealed, but then nods anyway. "That's better, then."

« Reply #843 on: January 27, 2013, 04:15:51 AM »
>"Although, on the other hand, if everything here costs twice as much or more than it does back home, stands to reason that work would pay twice as much as well." Pause. "Well, hopefully."

« Reply #844 on: January 27, 2013, 04:18:37 AM »
>"Although, on the other hand, if everything here costs twice as much or more than it does back home, stands to reason that work would pay twice as much as well." Pause. "Well, hopefully."

>"Um... maybe?" she adds hopefully. "I've never been to Braston before."

« Reply #845 on: January 27, 2013, 04:41:17 AM »
>I'm taking her home with me!
>Does Braston have anything in the area of tourist attractions, or features in general, that someone like Kyouko might find interesting?

« Reply #846 on: January 27, 2013, 05:05:45 AM »
>I'm taking her home with me!
>Does Braston have anything in the area of tourist attractions, or features in general, that someone like Kyouko might find interesting?

>"Kyaaaaa!~"
>You don't know Kyouko well enough to really gauge what she finds interesting, but Braston isn't really known as a tourist destination. Mining and refining are the principle industries, and while the place manages to not be too dirty for these endeavors, it's not particularly picturesque either. Though having the largest congregation of oni in the world does give it a uniquely diverse bar scene to crawl, if one is into that sort of thing. And is willing to tolerate the oni that come along with it. Otherwise it's a fine enough city, but pales by comparison in most respects to the one you're in right now.

« Reply #847 on: January 27, 2013, 05:42:23 AM »
>"But for now, where do you go to get a decent bite, or a drink, around here that doesn't cost a bunch?"

« Reply #848 on: January 27, 2013, 05:45:07 AM »
>"But for now, where do you go to get a decent bite, or a drink, around here that doesn't cost a bunch?"

>"Where do I go?" she asks, pointing at herself.

« Reply #849 on: January 27, 2013, 06:04:15 AM »
>"Heh. I suppose it's 'we' for tonight."

« Reply #850 on: January 27, 2013, 06:06:08 AM »
>"Heh. I suppose it's 'we' for tonight."

>Kyouko assumes a thoughtful expression. "Hmmm... well, what sort of food do you like?"

« Reply #851 on: January 27, 2013, 06:18:04 AM »
>Give her a brief run down of our tastes.
>Trying to keep them affordable tastes, of course.

« Reply #852 on: January 27, 2013, 07:54:24 AM »
>Give her a brief run down of our tastes.
>Trying to keep them affordable tastes, of course.

>You're not really a picky eater, all things told, nor a big one. You have a distinct fondness for cheese in its many and delicious forms, and think of raw veggies as a pretty decent snack. You tend not to favor especially heavy meals or the thoroughly deep-fried food many oni seem to like, but sandwiches and stir fry are nice and you've enjoyed pasta on occasion and can generally graze on most things someone puts in front of you. You list off a couple things you could feel in the mood for tonight.
>After living on an apprentice's stipend for as long as you have, affordable tastes are practically all you know.

>Kyouko takes in your outline of food preferences with a series of attentive nods then muses vocally. "Well... there's a pretty nice ramen and grill not too far from here. It's pretty cheap, I think!" she adds.

« Reply #853 on: January 27, 2013, 09:01:23 AM »
>Ah, ramen. A time-honored classic. And frequently accompanied by good sake, too. The affordableness is very nice, as well.
>"Sounds perfect."

« Reply #854 on: January 27, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »
>Ah, ramen. A time-honored classic. And frequently accompanied by good sake, too. The affordableness is very nice, as well.
>"Sounds perfect."

>You decide that this is a perfectly suitable destination and information Kyouko of the same.
>The yamabiko beams. "Great! Follow me!"
>With barely a moment's pause, she starts off down the path away from the shrine, then freezes mid-stride; her sandal clad foot hangs awkwardly in the air for a beat.
>"Oh, I should go change! I'll be quick!" And then she turns and scurries off in the opposite direction.

« Reply #855 on: January 27, 2013, 09:38:43 AM »
>Pity. She pulls off the miko clothes well.
>Ah, well. Let us give her a moment.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #856 on: January 27, 2013, 11:31:56 AM »
So, are we pursuing Kyouko for serious, or just foolin' around? And if it's the latter, what degree of foolin' around?

I'm fine either way.

Edit: A point has come to me: Weren't we also chasing after Miyuki?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:50:22 PM by Purvosan »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #857 on: January 27, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »
I think we're mostly playing the 'Mouse-About-Town'. Probably until we actually find the right one or something. Have to keep options open after all.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #858 on: January 27, 2013, 05:41:10 PM »
Miyuki would be nice. But she also isn't here at present. And let us not forget Marisa, either. Nazrisa has too nice a ring to it not to pursue.

I think we're mostly playing the 'Mouse-About-Town'. Probably until we actually find the right one or something. Have to keep options open after all.

Mostly this. But I'm also operating under the assumption that the Harem End is perfectly possible. Ergo, I'm trying to at least lay the seeds of it while we have a worthwhile 'target' in our crosshairs.
And at present, and it pains me to say this, I beleive laying seeds should really be all we're doing, at least until we're cured. Hideous black veins tend to be a turn off, and might frighten our quarry. And that would be bad.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #859 on: January 27, 2013, 10:46:47 PM »
That does make me wonder...

>How are multi-partner relationships viewed, to our knowledge?

« Reply #860 on: January 28, 2013, 06:12:55 AM »
>Pity. She pulls off the miko clothes well.
>Ah, well. Let us give her a moment.

>Feeling just a little sad to see Kyouko doff her present outfit, you watch her disappear into the shrine building. You hear footsteps beating a rapid retreat to the left wing of the building, their noise soon replaced by Kyouko humming to herself; it seems she doesn't do anything quietly. True to her word though, she is quick, and scarcely any time has passed at all before she rushes merrily out through the doors of the shrine once more.
>In place of her shrine maiden outfit, she is now wearing a light-weight dress coat in dusky rose, fastened along the side with green floral ties. A short white skirt extends just a few inches below the hem, light and breezy and trimmed in black.
>She smiles at you. "Let's go!"

>How are multi-partner relationships viewed, to our knowledge?

>They are not the norm in society at-large, but neither are they unheard of. To some degree, this depends on the racial culture in question. Oni tend to be very flexible in their relationships so long as each participant is informed and in agreement about where they stand and all promises given are kept in good faith; casual flings are not seen as infidelity, so long as they're not concealed from long-term partners or in violation of some given vow. Tengu, on the other hand, partner for life - and that is a long time indeed for such a long-lived race. Or at least this is what you've heard; very few people have any regular contact with the tengu aside from the scattered merchant vessel, which tend to keep to themselves even while in town. Kappa... you're honestly not sure - there weren't many of those around Estval either and their curious blend of capriciousness and fanatical devotion makes it hard for you to guess where they'd stand on the issue. Many beast youkai retain some of the mating instincts of the animals from which they ascended, which might be either strictly monogamous or highly promiscuous, though society can amend this to greater or lesser degrees depending on the individual. And with youkai less easily classified, it can be hard to make a blanket statement about where their instincts lie.
>Given that civilized society has been a blend of such diverse natures for so long now, it has also gained a certain, if perhaps lesser, diversity in social norms. By that token, relationships beyond monogamous two-person couplings are not viewed as wholely the domain of specific kinds of youkai, though they may be most common there. Some people do hold more conservative views about what should define a proper relationship, of course, but the same could be said for a great many things.

« Reply #861 on: January 28, 2013, 06:35:24 AM »
>Nod and tuck in alongside her, and march off.

« Reply #862 on: January 28, 2013, 07:28:30 AM »
>Nod and tuck in alongside her, and march off.

>You nod and then follow alongside Kyouko as she moves briskly down the cobblestone path and then into the city beyond.

>It is a fairly brief walk, as she had implied, and a surprisingly pleasant one despite your hunger and fatigue; the company does something to amend this, you have no doubt. This is... not really how you had expected to be spending the evening, but you find yourself oddly taken with the spirited girl. The enthusiasm behind her smile is deep and genuine and... well, ordinarily you think you might have written her off as naive and feckless. And she is, really. But yet.... You stifle a small grimace. Are you growing soft? Or is this just a side-effect of the whole dying thing? You glance at the bittercress still carried in your arms - you think one corner of your eye never leaves it - but there is still no change. Should you start to let go of this hope as well, or is it still lurking just beyond the horizon? It's been a very long day....
>You find yourself slightly reticent beneath the starry night sky. Fortunately Kyouko seems content to carry a large part of the conversation, talking a bit more about her experiences at the shrine and the various other odd jobs she's worked, with only a little prompting from you here and there. And what a great many there are! You are actually forced to wonder whether bottomless energy is part of the yamabiko package, since it seems to you this might be required to voluntarily work six or seven jobs in the span of one week and yet never give the slightest impression of being fatigued by them. And she seems to have an impressive lack of difficulty finding new ones, too - maybe there really is a trick to that smile of hers...

>"This is the place!" she announces as you approach a long low building with a colorful blue awning. The choice of architecture and decor is distinct from much of the city, favoring burnished wood and soft lights behind paper shades, though there is still a subtle sense of class to the place - merely a different kind of class. The smell of ramen, spice, and sizzling meat fills the air within and without, and it is scrumptious.
>"Where'd you like to sit?" Kyouko asks with a grin.

« Reply #863 on: January 28, 2013, 08:41:09 AM »
>Glance around for an unoccupied corner seat or booth.

« Reply #864 on: January 28, 2013, 09:05:27 AM »
>Glance around for an unoccupied corner seat or booth.

>You quickly survey the restaurant's available seating. It is only lightly occupied at the moment, perhaps because of the hour or perhaps not, and there are in fact two corner booths unoccupied - one by the front near a large window, and one in a dimmer-lit rear corner.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #865 on: January 28, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
>Let's have the one by the window.
>"What do you recommend here?"

« Reply #866 on: January 29, 2013, 04:42:27 AM »
>Let's have the one by the window.
>"What do you recommend here?"

>You elect for the window booth and the two of you go and seat yourself comfortably. Or at least reasonably so; the benches are coarse-grained wood in a rustic style - pleasant enough looking, but a little unyielding to the rear. Kyouko plops down on her side, then wiggles into a more comfy position, resting her elbows on the table and leaning forward with a grin.
>"What do I recommend...." she muses. "Well, I like their honey pork ramen! And the spring vegetable ramen is good, too! I don't know if they have any cheese flavored ramen...." she adds in a regretful tone. "Oh, maybe something from the grill?"

« Reply #867 on: January 29, 2013, 07:32:17 AM »
>"Honey pork sounds good. Though I do like grilled meat, too...."

« Reply #868 on: January 29, 2013, 07:43:45 AM »
>"Honey pork sounds good. Though I do like grilled meat, too...."

>"I like the ramen more myself," she says, "but either is good!"

« Reply #869 on: January 29, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »
>Are we hungry enough for both?