Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47624 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #810 on: January 25, 2013, 06:17:44 AM »
>Give her a pat on the shoulder. "Good on ya, girl."
>"So if I find my way back in in an hour or two's time, I might still find you here?"

>You give Kyouko a pat on the shoulder. Her ears twitch in time with her innocent smile.
>"You... might?" She regards you curiously. "But what would you be back here for so quickly? Was there something else you needed to ask Sumiko-san? I'm sure she wouldn't be bothered by answering a few more questions for you now, honest!"

« Reply #811 on: January 25, 2013, 06:34:18 AM »
>"I bet she wouldn't. But I'd be coming back to see you."

« Reply #812 on: January 25, 2013, 06:48:39 AM »
>"I bet she wouldn't. But I'd be coming back to see you."

>"Me?" Kyouko brings a finger around to point at her face, then frowns uncertainly. "Um... what for?"

« Reply #813 on: January 25, 2013, 06:52:18 AM »
>"Well, because I thought we could go out for a drink or something, once you were done here. Maybe a bite to eat."

« Reply #814 on: January 25, 2013, 07:05:53 AM »
>"Well, because I thought we could go out for a drink or something, once you were done here. Maybe a bite to eat."

>"Oh!" She seems a little unsure of how to take that for a moment, but the bright-eyed yamabiko's smile never strays too far from the surface. "That could be nice! And I'm sure you have more stories, right?"

« Reply #815 on: January 25, 2013, 07:51:19 AM »
>Grin. "Oh yeah. And I haven't even told you about my mentor in the Seekers yet. She's a fair heap of stories rolled into one, that one."

« Reply #816 on: January 25, 2013, 08:01:13 AM »
>Grin. "Oh yeah. And I haven't even told you about my mentor in the Seekers yet. She's a fair heap of stories rolled into one, that one."

>"Ooooo...!!" You can almost literally see Kyouko's eyes twinkle, wide and earnest.

« Reply #817 on: January 25, 2013, 09:03:32 AM »
>Chuckle.
>"Well all right, then, Kyouko, I'll go see if I can find a room for myself that won't cost an ear and a tail, then meet you back here?"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:46:58 AM by Sourfang, Seeker of Winter »

« Reply #818 on: January 25, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »
>Chuckle.
>"Well all right, then, Kyouko, I'll go see if I can find a room for myself that won't cost an ear and a tail, then meet you back here?"

>"Sure!" she says.

« Reply #819 on: January 25, 2013, 10:46:50 AM »
>Then let us be off to investigate these hotels that Kyouko told us of, their prices, specifically. And note the opening times of that pawn shop, as well.
>And leave a modest donation in the offeratory box on the way out. Sumiko was helpful, after all.

« Reply #820 on: January 26, 2013, 02:09:05 AM »
>Then let us be off to investigate these hotels that Kyouko told us of, their prices, specifically. And note the opening times of that pawn shop, as well.
>And leave a modest donation in the offeratory box on the way out. Sumiko was helpful, after all.

>You extract a few more details from Kyouko regarding where the two inns she mentioned can be found; they aren't really as helpful or coherent as you'd like, but they'll hopefully be sufficient. Then you make a detour towards the offertory box and leave a modest donation of 10 guilders. At least you think that's a reasonable sum for the amount of time Sumiko spent with you - you don't really have much experience with this sort of thing. Then you finally take your leave of the shrine and head back toward the city center for the third time today.

>In the end, Kyouko's directions prove somewhat less helpful than you'd hoped, leaving you to flag down a passerby or two when a particular street fails to show up at the appointed time. This isn't very much of an inconvenience in the end, though you can already imagine the earnest girl's frown if you informed her of such.

>The Marble Falcon is a fairly classy-looking place, though smaller than you'd expected; it is built into a adjoined row of commercial buildings in a similar style to the Seeker's Guildhall and is actually no more than 10 minutes away from it, as well. The avian sculpture above its entrance is striking and dignified, if somewhat weathered - you think it's actually quite old. True to its namesake, it is almost certainly carved from marble. The interior of the establishment is less striking, but the polished hardwood and stonework accents nonetheless bespeak quality. The lobby is a small, cloistered space, scarcely more than an intersection of quiet hallways with just room enough for a reception desk against the far wall. Inquiring with the sharply-dressed woman behind it, you find their rates are... not as bad as as a place with marble sculpture might try to get away with. But still bad enough. The cheapest room they have on offer is 80 guilders a night. Unlike the Guild lodgings, this does come with a complementary breakfast at the adjoining cafe, though this is small consolation.

>You move on to your next task: finding the operating hours of the Rabbit's Attic. This proves challenging for two reasons. Firstly, because finding the Rabbit's Attic at all presents surprising difficulties. After sweeping up the length of the street and down again for long enough to suspect Kyouko made a mistake about this as well, your eye catches upon a curiously innocuous door tucked around the corner of a sheltered alleyway; it is scarcely visible at all except from a particular angle, but the sign above it clearly reads 'The Rabbit's Attic' - in surprisingly artistic calligraphy, no less. Unfortunately, being next to the door helps you not at all in determining when it might be open for business. The door itself is closed and locked, you can find nothing at all resembling hours posted outside, and the only window into the establishment is completely obscured by the back side of a shelving unit and a hat rack laden so full of polka dot scarves that it could pass for the gaudiest species of tree you have ever encountered. The closest thing to actual information is provided by a small placard handing from the middle of the door, which reads: "On investigations. Will return. -K"
>While this notice is distinctly unenlightening, no alternate sources of information readily present themselves and the shop's hours aren't a high enough priority for you to start canvassing the neighbours just yet; you continue on to your next destination.

>The trip to the Owl's Roost is a long one, and feels even longer at this point after all the traipsing around the city you've done already. Kyouko's directions are accurate enough for the bulk of the journey and supplementing them with pointers from a few locals once you reach the neighbourhood finds you at the doorstep of the inn with little difficulty. 'Rustic' is perhaps not an altogether poor choice of descriptor for the place, but you might personally have opted for 'sketchy' instead. Well, perhaps that's a little unfair, but the curiously dim lighting in the tavern which the main entrance practically opens upon isn't helping matters. The building itself is more spacious than the Marble Falcon and fully detached, though of chiefly wooden rather than stone construction. The neighbourhood is quieter than towards the city's center, though the establishment itself brims with chatter and perhaps even a few shades of boisterous carousing.
>The tavern area is furnished with solid-looking wooden tables and benches, functional if modest, and is surprisingly full. The clientele range from a nondescript human couple quietly working through a soup and sandwich to a trio of scowling fairies arguing vigorously over who has dibs on what corner of their basket of fries to an indeterminate red-haired youkai halfway through an oversized pitcher of beer all on her lonesome. There's even an oni in the rear corner - a rather dour-faced and taciturn sort, currently engaged in a game of cards with a rabbit half her size and quite possibly losing, if you had to guess from her expression. Somehow the decor and layout here remind you a little of the Harvest's Bounty, if it were run by someone without either Minoriko's abiding warmth or fastidious domesticity. The food still smells pretty good, though.
>The reception desk seems almost an afterthought, tucked away from the bustle of the eatery, though the row of windows you saw from the outside implies a fairly reasonable lodging capacity. Inquiring after rates, you find them reasonably cheaper than the Marble Falcon at 62 guilders a night.

« Reply #821 on: January 26, 2013, 02:53:45 AM »
Well, I did expect them to be more expensive, but a little confirmation is always nice.

>Are we on what might be considered the edge of town, or simply a shadier district, where all manner of matching chicanery takes place?
>How much time has passed since we embarked upon your lodging quest?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #822 on: January 26, 2013, 02:56:20 AM »
Yeah, we can get a deposit back as long as we don't burn the place down. Screw all these shysters >=|

>What do the meal costs look to be in the Owl's Roost?

« Reply #823 on: January 26, 2013, 03:25:21 AM »
>Are we on what might be considered the edge of town, or simply a shadier district, where all manner of matching chicanery takes place?
>How much time has passed since we embarked upon your lodging quest?

>You would not be surprised if it were both. You are certainly nearing the northern edge of the city and the decrease in architectural density was growing obvious for the last mile or so. Things look a bit poorer in this area, too - perhaps not by many cities' standards, but certainly compared to the grandiosity of some of Val Razua's more central areas. That being said, it isn't obviously a hive of crime and villainy either; perhaps just a touch less wholesome.
>Between the various stops and time wasted following slightly inaccurate directions, you'd say that at least an hour and a half has passed now.

>What do the meal costs look to be in the Owl's Roost?

>The meals here appear to be fairly reasonably priced and a sight better than the cafe you ate at earlier today. You could pick up a pretty hearty meal for 5 or 6 guilders.

« Reply #824 on: January 26, 2013, 03:41:36 AM »
I suggest we hold off on eating for now, in the event our date with Kyouko takes the shape of a meal variety. But it's always good to price things out.

>Presumably our flower still has not bloomed, nor shows any sign of it?

« Reply #825 on: January 26, 2013, 03:46:04 AM »
>Presumably our flower still has not bloomed, nor shows any sign of it?

>It seems more or less unchanged from how it was when you left the shrine.

« Reply #826 on: January 26, 2013, 05:23:09 AM »
>Are we hungry enough to go for a quick bite before making our way back towards the shrine?

« Reply #827 on: January 26, 2013, 05:35:11 AM »
>Are we hungry enough to go for a quick bite before making our way back towards the shrine?

>You're hungry enough that a little food wouldn't go astray, but you could manage without it for a little while longer as well.

« Reply #828 on: January 26, 2013, 06:09:44 AM »
>Well, we're getting a nice glimpse of the big city, not a bad way to spend one's first day in town. Even if we are still short one cure.
>Did we happen to pass any alchemists along the way, or notice any in the vicinity?

« Reply #829 on: January 26, 2013, 06:19:48 AM »
>Well, we're getting a nice glimpse of the big city, not a bad way to spend one's first day in town. Even if we are still short one cure.
>Did we happen to pass any alchemists along the way, or notice any in the vicinity?

>While your travels around the city have not been arranged as you would ideally have liked on a first visit, and you have often been too preoccupied to fully appreciate them, at least some of the day has managed to be pleasant and interesting.
>You noticed one or two establishments of that nature back further south, though neither caught your eye in particular and neither is especially close to your current location.

« Reply #830 on: January 26, 2013, 06:41:52 AM »
>If either one are in the same general direction as Kyouko and her shrine, then let us meander thataways.
>If they are not, then let's just mosey on back towards the shrine.
>Place might be a good place for interesting deals, but unless something catches our ear about 'blights' or 'cures' or some combination of the two, then we shouldn't leave Kyouko waiting. Assuming she did wait, but she seems about as honest as an oni. If she said she'd be there, it seems a very safe bet her cute little face is still there.

« Reply #831 on: January 26, 2013, 07:59:02 AM »
>If either one are in the same general direction as Kyouko and her shrine, then let us meander thataways.
>If they are not, then let's just mosey on back towards the shrine.
>Place might be a good place for interesting deals, but unless something catches our ear about 'blights' or 'cures' or some combination of the two, then we shouldn't leave Kyouko waiting. Assuming she did wait, but she seems about as honest as an oni. If she said she'd be there, it seems a very safe bet her cute little face is still there.

>They are in the same general direction insofar as they are southwest of you and the shrine is southwest of you, but approximately a third of the city is also currently southwest of you. Visiting the alchemists would not require a large detour, but a detour nonetheless and you've already taken longer than planned, so you elect for the direct route.
>The trip back is still a fairly long one, and the hunger you left unsatisfied has grown more noticeable by the time you near the shrine once more. And honestly, after all this walking, you'd really like to just be able to sit down somewhere for a while; your stamina really feels like it's flagging here.
>While there was plenty of chatter in the Owl's Roost, none of what caught your ear sounded particularly relevant to you.

>Approaching the gate of Nanashizumi Shrine, there is no immediate sign of the yamabiko miko along the cobblestone path; she hasn't spent the whole two and a half hours sweeping, at least.

« Reply #832 on: January 26, 2013, 08:01:16 AM »
>Make a guess at the time.
>Enter and find our date.... Not a date, where did that come from? Well, maybe you could call it that...
>Find Kyouko.

« Reply #833 on: January 26, 2013, 09:59:35 AM »
>Make a guess at the time.
>Enter and find our date.... Not a date, where did that come from? Well, maybe you could call it that...
>Find Kyouko.

>You believe it's something like 10:30 or 11:00 in the evening by now.
>Attempting to brush aside the curious thought that you have asked this woman out on a date, you approach the shrine building. Your walk along the path is quiet and solitary, but before you can quite reach the front doors, they slide open and an enthusiastic greeting rings out.
>"Welcome to Nanashizu-" Kyouko blinks, then smiles brightly. "Oh, hi Nazrin!"

« Reply #834 on: January 26, 2013, 10:12:46 AM »
>Give her a jaunty wave. "Didn't keep you waiting, did I?"

« Reply #835 on: January 26, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »
>Give her a jaunty wave. "Didn't keep you waiting, did I?"

>"A little!" she says. "But that's okay!"

« Reply #836 on: January 26, 2013, 10:44:32 AM »
>"Visiting those inns, I have learned that being a visitor to this city isn't really a good idea unless you're rich, or have a job. 'least if you want to stay for any length of time and not pitch up in a park somewhere."

« Reply #837 on: January 26, 2013, 10:51:52 AM »
>"Visiting those inns, I have learned that being a visitor to this city isn't really a good idea unless you're rich, or have a job. 'least if you want to stay for any length of time and not pitch up in a park somewhere."

>"You're really not supposed to sleep in the parks," she cautions in a hushed tone. "You could get into a lot of trouble!"

« Reply #838 on: January 26, 2013, 11:52:02 AM »
>Chuckle. "Well, I'm not planning on it. I'm just saying I can sort of see the unprepared traveler thinking hard about it."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #839 on: January 26, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »
>"Though maybe at the edge of town, if I can't get some money coming in..."