Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47578 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #780 on: January 23, 2013, 05:41:42 AM »
>Was that the name of those echoing mountain spirits?
>Are there any mountains around town that we noticed?

>You... think it may be?
>The city is located in a very shallow valley so there are some gentle hills around the outskirts, but nothing you would remotely term a mountain.

« Reply #781 on: January 23, 2013, 05:46:06 AM »
>"Yamabiko.... The echoing spirit?"

« Reply #782 on: January 23, 2013, 05:48:02 AM »
>"Yamabiko.... The echoing spirit?"

>She nods. "That's right!"

« Reply #783 on: January 23, 2013, 06:42:15 AM »
>"That'd do it, all right. But wouldn't that mean you were born in a mountainous area? How'd you end up in Val Razua?"

« Reply #784 on: January 23, 2013, 07:19:18 AM »
>"That'd do it, all right. But wouldn't that mean you were born in a mountainous area? How'd you end up in Val Razua?"

>"I wanted to be somewhere more lively!" she says cheerfully. "Back home was getting really quiet, and it's always bustling here in the city! There's always new people to meet, new places to go, new foods to eat... I like it here! And," she adds in a slightly awed tone, leaning towards you as if she were about to share some kind of secret, "there are even people here who will pay you to repeat the things they say. It's great!"

« Reply #785 on: January 23, 2013, 07:57:07 AM »
>Smile a little smile.
>"Yeah. I can relate."

« Reply #786 on: January 23, 2013, 08:01:21 AM »
>Smile a little smile.
>"Yeah. I can relate."

>You smile slightly.
>"So your home was quiet, too?" she asks.

« Reply #787 on: January 23, 2013, 08:10:17 AM »
>"Easthaven was, yeah. Real quiet little village. I still call it home, I still have my roots there. I'm not the sort of person to forget where she came from, not the least reason being what happened the last time I was there. But it was too small for me to live there."
>"Braston was a bit different. No one could ever call that place quiet, not with all the oni that live there. But this city, this was where I wanted to be almost from the minute I heard about it." Chuckles a humorless chuckle. "It's ironic. I dream about coming here for years, and I find myself wanting to leave as soon as this job I've got is done."

« Reply #788 on: January 23, 2013, 08:17:43 AM »
>"Easthaven was, yeah. Real quiet little village. I still call it home, I still have my roots there. I'm not the sort of person to forget where she came from, not the least reason being what happened the last time I was there. But it was too small for me to live there."
>"Braston was a bit different. No one could ever call that place quiet, not with all the oni that live there. But this city, this was where I wanted to be almost from the minute I heard about it." Chuckles a humorless chuckle. "It's ironic. I dream about coming here for years, and I find myself wanting to leave as soon as this job I've got is done."

>Kyouko frowns. "Why's that? Do you really dislike it here or something?"

« Reply #789 on: January 23, 2013, 08:28:48 AM »
>Shake head. "Not unless you count the price of lodging, but that's more on my own somewhat thin wallet."
>"That spider youkai I mentioned before. And her giant spider friends. I had to leave before I saw that situation resolved. There was a plan in place to handle it- I sent one of the key parts of that plan back to Easthaven myself- but I don't know what happened."
>Walk apart a few paces and continue, "I hate leaving problems unsolved as it is. But this was my home. I have absolute confidence in Marisa- the witch I sent back to help handle things- and the plan we hatched was a good one. But I just don't know how everything turned out. And it's been... hard, with that uncertainty hanging over me."

« Reply #790 on: January 23, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »
>Shake head. "Not unless you count the price of lodging, but that's more on my own somewhat thin wallet."

>"It is kinda expensive here...." Kyouko concurs.

>"That spider youkai I mentioned before. And her giant spider friends. I had to leave before I saw that situation resolved. There was a plan in place to handle it- I sent one of the key parts of that plan back to Easthaven myself- but I don't know what happened."

>"A plan?" she asks. "What kind of plan?"

>Walk apart a few paces and continue, "I hate leaving problems unsolved as it is. But this was my home. I have absolute confidence in Marisa- the witch I sent back to help handle things- and the plan we hatched was a good one. But I just don't know how everything turned out. And it's been... hard, with that uncertainty hanging over me."

>Kyouko gives you an encouraging smile. "Awwwww... I'm sure things worked out fine! ...whatever they were."

« Reply #791 on: January 24, 2013, 03:54:40 AM »
>Give her an appreciative nod. "I'd like to think so. But I know I'll sleep a lot better once I get back home and see for myself."
>"Speaking of sleep, what's a decent place for someone to find an affordable bed here in town?"

« Reply #792 on: January 24, 2013, 04:43:05 AM »
>Give her an appreciative nod. "I'd like to think so. But I know I'll sleep a lot better once I get back home and see for myself."
>"Speaking of sleep, what's a decent place for someone to find an affordable bed here in town?"

>Kyouko nods twice. "It's always good to see for yourself."
>"An affordable bed..." She taps on her cheek with a finger. "Well... I think the Marble Falcon's a nice place! Or maybe the Owl's Roost?"

« Reply #793 on: January 24, 2013, 04:51:23 AM »
>Assuming we have not passed by either of those two, ask Kyouko about them.

« Reply #794 on: January 24, 2013, 06:31:06 AM »
>Assuming we have not passed by either of those two, ask Kyouko about them.

>You have not noticed either of these establishments on your wanderings through the city, so you ask Kyouko for more details.

>"The Marble Falcon is up towards the city center, more or less in the middle of... um.... well, a street," she supplies helpfully. "I don't remember what it's called now - the one with Pestrasi's and that pawn shop with all the really kooky things in it - the, um... the Rabbit's Attic, yeah! I've never actually been inside, but I've heard good things! There's a biiiiig marble falcon over the door." She spreads her arms for emphasis. "At least I think it's marble. You'd think it'd be marble too, wouldn't you?" She doesn't pause for an answer.
>"The Owl's Roost is a bit more... rustic, I guess? It's waaaay up on the north side of town, past all the big buildings and almost all the way out of the city. But it's a cozy place. It's usually a bit dark inside, but they have good soup and breadsticks!" Important considerations in one's lodgings, no doubt.

« Reply #795 on: January 24, 2013, 07:15:53 AM »
>Gotta love a good bowl of soup.
>Make a note about the pawn shop. Never know what you can find in a pawn shop.
>"I do enjoy a good bowl of soup. Don't suppose you'd know off the top of your head what the rates are in either place?'

« Reply #796 on: January 24, 2013, 07:29:07 AM »
>Gotta love a good bowl of soup.
>Make a note about the pawn shop. Never know what you can find in a pawn shop.
>"I do enjoy a good bowl of soup. Don't suppose you'd know off the top of your head what the rates are in either place?'

>At the risk of sounding redundant, a good bowl of soup can be good.
>While the existence of said pawn shop piques your curiosity, it is also true that you know nothing specific about where it is even located either; 'towards the city center' could encompass an area half the size of Braston.
>"In neither place!" she responds cheerfully, then gives a little sheepish frown. "I... haven't actually stayed in an inn here in a long time; I don't know how much they cost. But I hear these are affordable!"
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:48:11 AM by DracoOmega »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #797 on: January 24, 2013, 11:13:25 AM »
>"How long would it take to look into both? That pawn shop sounds interesting, but I could use a good soup, too. Are they on the way to each other?"

« Reply #798 on: January 25, 2013, 12:01:49 AM »
>"How long would it take to look into both? That pawn shop sounds interesting, but I could use a good soup, too. Are they on the way to each other?"

>Kyouko's brow furrows. "Well.... sort of? They're both up northish, but the Marble Falcon's.... that way," she points vaguely northward, "and the Owl's Roost is more... that way?" She rotates her arm a quarter-circle to the left. "I think? The Falcon is about a half an hour walk from here, if you're not rushing too fast. But the Owl's Roost is a whole lot further that than. At least an hour? Hour and a half?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #799 on: January 25, 2013, 01:09:23 AM »
>"Is the soup worth an hour's walk?"

« Reply #800 on: January 25, 2013, 01:17:16 AM »
>"Is the soup worth an hour's walk?"

>Kyouko ponders this in silence for a moment, then beams at you. "If you really, really like good soup!"

« Reply #801 on: January 25, 2013, 02:53:48 AM »
Assuming the plant blooms tonight, we do have a bit of time to kill yet. I suggest checking out at least the closer one.
Though I'm starting to wonder about this plant. It might take sunlight to flower.

>"I think I might go check it out, then, before it gets a lot later than it is. Gotta pitch up somewhere, after all."

« Reply #802 on: January 25, 2013, 02:56:09 AM »
>"I think I might go check it out, then, before it gets a lot later than it is. Gotta pitch up somewhere, after all."

>"Gotta pitch up somewhere!" she agrees.

« Reply #803 on: January 25, 2013, 03:12:37 AM »
>"How much longer is your shift here?"

« Reply #804 on: January 25, 2013, 03:23:06 AM »
>"How much longer is your shift here?"

>"My shift?" She gives you a slightly puzzled look for a moment, then gazes up at the night sky. "Hmmm... maybe another hour or two? I don't really have a fixed schedule here; I just try to help out a little when I get the chance!"

« Reply #805 on: January 25, 2013, 04:35:03 AM »
>Cute though she is, that's a long time to hang around here waiting for her to finish sweeping up.
>"And I bet they appreciate.... Wait, do you get paid for pitching in like you do?"

« Reply #806 on: January 25, 2013, 04:56:42 AM »
>Cute though she is, that's a long time to hang around here waiting for her to finish sweeping up.
>"And I bet they appreciate.... Wait, do you get paid for pitching in like you do?"

>You're inclined to assume her duties extend to more than just this, because there's certainly not a couple more hours worth of work to be done here, at least as best you can tell.
>"A little!" she says. "Sometimes! There isn't a lot of money to spare for me," she adds in a more somber tone.

« Reply #807 on: January 25, 2013, 04:58:54 AM »
>"I can respect that. But what about your other odd jobs?"

« Reply #808 on: January 25, 2013, 05:00:08 AM »
>"I can respect that. But what about your other odd jobs?"

>"Some of them do!" she replies. "I get by okay."

« Reply #809 on: January 25, 2013, 06:02:41 AM »
>Give her a pat on the shoulder. "Good on ya, girl."
>"So if I find my way back in in an hour or two's time, I might still find you here?"