Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47584 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #750 on: January 22, 2013, 12:56:35 AM »
>"Well, then I may have some travelling to do in the days to come. After I take care of my business here in town, of course. I am a professional, after all."

>Sumiko nods. "Of course."
>"A professional!" Kyouko chirps merrily.

« Reply #751 on: January 22, 2013, 01:26:38 AM »
>About how much time has passed since we arrived at the shrine?
>What is traditional to leave as an offering at shrines such as this?

« Reply #752 on: January 22, 2013, 01:32:55 AM »
>About how much time has passed since we arrived at the shrine?
>What is traditional to leave as an offering at shrines such as this?

>You would estimate the better part of an hour has passed now.
>Monetary donations are common, you believe, and you passed an offertory box back by the entrance to the shrine building; you aren't really sure what passes for a reasonable contribution, though.

« Reply #753 on: January 22, 2013, 03:49:20 AM »
I'm guessing that no one else has anything to ask Sumiko here, barring any objections, I'm gonna try and swing a date with Kyouko here, assuming she's off work here.

>Bow slightly to the genuine miko. "Well, thank you again for your help, miko-sama. And if I have any further questions on the matter, may I call upon this shrine again?"

« Reply #754 on: January 22, 2013, 05:32:54 AM »
>Bow slightly to the genuine miko. "Well, thank you again for your help, miko-sama. And if I have any further questions on the matter, may I call upon this shrine again?"

>Sumiko nods gravely. "It is our duty to serve."
>"It is!" says Kyouko.

« Reply #755 on: January 22, 2013, 05:34:06 AM »
>"Now then, Kyouko. As I recall, I was about to tell you about the spot of trouble I had getting out of Braston, wasn't I?"

« Reply #756 on: January 22, 2013, 05:41:28 AM »
>"Now then, Kyouko. As I recall, I was about to tell you about the spot of trouble I had getting out of Braston, wasn't I?"

>"Oh!" The green-haired girl's eyes perk up. "Oh, yes! You were!"
>Sumiko eyes you with that same grave placidity you've come to expect from her; it's a little hard to tell if she's somehow disapproving or simply observing.

« Reply #757 on: January 22, 2013, 05:51:53 AM »
>"Are you still on the clock?"

« Reply #758 on: January 22, 2013, 06:02:27 AM »
>"Are you still on the clock?"

>Kyouko frowns slightly. "The clock?"

« Reply #759 on: January 22, 2013, 06:03:29 AM »
>"Never heard that one before?"

« Reply #760 on: January 22, 2013, 06:41:38 AM »
>"Never heard that one before?"

>"That one?" she asks. You get the impression you've somehow lost her a little.
>"I believe she is asking if your duties here are complete for the time," Sumiko helpfully adds.
>You see a spark of recognition flash behind Kyouko's sea green eyes. "Oh!" And then it gives way to another frown. She glances back at Sumiko. "I'm... I'm afraid they're not - not really. I've only been here an hour or two now. But I can still listen while I sweep!"

« Reply #761 on: January 22, 2013, 07:00:27 AM »
>Nod a thanks to Sumiko.
>Ask of the miko, "Is that acceptable to you? I'd hate to get in the way of her work."

« Reply #762 on: January 22, 2013, 07:10:21 AM »
>Nod a thanks to Sumiko.
>Ask of the miko, "Is that acceptable to you? I'd hate to get in the way of her work."

>You give a nod of thanks to Sumiko, then ask if it's alright for you to impose upon Kyouko's shift.
>"It is fine," she says calmly.
>"Yay!"

« Reply #763 on: January 22, 2013, 07:46:33 AM »
>Fold ears slightly down in anticipation of her yelling, return them to normal after.
>Then let us regale our young, cute youkai friend with our epic tale of finding a missing permit.

« Reply #764 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:03 PM »
>Fold ears slightly down in anticipation of her yelling, return them to normal after.
>Then let us regale our young, cute youkai friend with our epic tale of finding a missing permit.

>You brace yourself for Kyouko's enthusiastic reply, but find yourself growing stragely accustomed to her volume already. Then you accompany the junior shrine maiden as she returns to her duties, and make good on your promise to explain the story of the missing export permit.

>This tale is less entertaining than your last, unfortunately, at least by your own estimation. It has a less satisfying conclusion - you never did find out who was responsible - a comparative paucity of humerous episodes, and a complete lack of anything that can be spun into an epic battle. Nonetheless you do your best to make it more engaging than a plain recounting of the bare facts, and Kyouko is frankly a very easy audience. The degree of sympathy she emotes on behalf of spoiling fruit is almost comically disproportionate to their status as food, but at least she seems satisfied that the stakes are important; it helps you in skirting around the issue of why it was so urgent you leave Braston immediately, as opposed to waiting a few days for the ferry. The interlude with Chisato's pet mouse ends up a particular favorite of hers and you are forced to deploy your poker face again at Kyouko's saccharine intimations about your own take on the issue. And she's probably wrong, in any case.
>"I wonder why somebody would do that..." she comments as you finish up with the Maiden's newly signed certificate and nighttime departure. "It seems like a lot of work to keep them all from leaving with some fruit."

« Reply #765 on: January 23, 2013, 01:24:56 AM »
>"Believe me, I wish I could tell you. I hate leaving a problem unsolved. Okay, the problem WAS solved, but not knowing who pulled it off sets my tail hair on end."

« Reply #766 on: January 23, 2013, 01:48:39 AM »
>"Believe me, I wish I could tell you. I hate leaving a problem unsolved. Okay, the problem WAS solved, but not knowing who pulled it off sets my tail hair on end."

>Kyouko leans to the side and peers around you, perhaps to ascertain whether your tail hair really is standing on end. Which it isn't - not that you have very much to speak of in the first place.
>"Yeah...." she says as she leans back upright again. "Well, maybe Louise will have found the culprit herself by the time you go back home!"

« Reply #767 on: January 23, 2013, 02:06:07 AM »
>"Maybe. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't mind another crack at tracking down whoever pulled this off, but that's just my professional pride talking."
>Presumably our flower still has shown no sign of flowering?

« Reply #768 on: January 23, 2013, 03:02:44 AM »
>"Maybe. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't mind another crack at tracking down whoever pulled this off, but that's just my professional pride talking."
>Presumably our flower still has shown no sign of flowering?

>"Professional pride!" she says with a contented smile. "Maybe she'll even hire you to help out with the investigation, when you get back?"
>It has not. It may be perhaps a little larger than when you arrived, but still shows no sign of blossoming.

« Reply #769 on: January 23, 2013, 03:14:36 AM »
>Chuckle. "I'd be up for that. Even if I can't find the thief, I might be able to figure out how they pulled it off, show Lousie how to stop it happening again."
>Okay, she DEFINITELY has a thing for repetition.
>Do we know of any youkai, or types of youkai, that do that, an 'echo' youkai, for lack of a better term?

« Reply #770 on: January 23, 2013, 03:33:51 AM »
>Chuckle. "I'd be up for that. Even if I can't find the thief, I might be able to figure out how they pulled it off, show Lousie how to stop it happening again."
>Okay, she DEFINITELY has a thing for repetition.
>Do we know of any youkai, or types of youkai, that do that, an 'echo' youkai, for lack of a better term?

>Kyouko nods. "And that way no one else will have to get stranded like that."
>It does seem to be a proclivity of hers.
>That... rings a faint bell, you think? Old mountain-dwelling spirits that would repeat the words of passing travelers, but you don't believe they've been widespread from a long time. The name escapes you.

« Reply #771 on: January 23, 2013, 03:58:28 AM »
>Do we happen to recall a description of said spirits? And if so, does Kyouko look like she could be of that stock?

« Reply #772 on: January 23, 2013, 04:13:24 AM »
>Do we happen to recall a description of said spirits? And if so, does Kyouko look like she could be of that stock?

>You do not.

« Reply #773 on: January 23, 2013, 04:37:21 AM »
>Let's just hope she isn't sensitive about this habit of hers. For we are curious.
>"Now, do you mind if I ask you something?"

« Reply #774 on: January 23, 2013, 04:46:35 AM »
>Let's just hope she isn't sensitive about this habit of hers. For we are curious.
>"Now, do you mind if I ask you something?"

>You decide to address your curiousity.
>"Nope!" she replies readily.

« Reply #775 on: January 23, 2013, 04:54:13 AM »
>"Have I been imagining it, or have you been repeating words and phrases you've heard here and there?"

« Reply #776 on: January 23, 2013, 05:23:24 AM »
>"Have I been imagining it, or have you been repeating words and phrases you've heard here and there?"

>"Here and there," she replies with a bright smile.

« Reply #777 on: January 23, 2013, 05:29:51 AM »
>Take that as a yes.
>"Why?"

« Reply #778 on: January 23, 2013, 05:31:23 AM »
>Take that as a yes.
>"Why?"

>It does seem she meant it that way.
>"I'm a Yamabiko!" she says cheerfully, as if this was answer enough.

« Reply #779 on: January 23, 2013, 05:34:54 AM »
>Was that the name of those echoing mountain spirits?
>Are there any mountains around town that we noticed?