Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47630 times)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #660 on: January 17, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »
>How much time do we have anyhow?
>"Hm, maybe she's having a hard time waking up the old girl?"
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #661 on: January 17, 2013, 07:49:51 PM »
>How much time do we have anyhow?
>"Hm, maybe she's having a hard time waking up the old girl?"

>That largely depends on you. You haven't made any formal arrangements to meet anyone at any particular time, and if you were merely referring to dropping in on some alchemist to have your potion made, you actually aren't sure what schedules any of them keep. It's late enough in the evening already that you imagine some are closed, but others may maintain considerably later hours.
>"Maybe!" Kyouko says. "But I don't... I don't really understand most of this spiritual stuff she does. Sumiko's a nice person, but she's really private; I don't get to see any of the rites that aren't open to the public."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #662 on: January 17, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »
>Well, we can jump that hurdle when we come to it.
>"You'd probably have to be a full, official member of the temple staff to know that stuff. You're just a part-timer right now, aren't you Kyouko?"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #663 on: January 17, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
>Well, we can jump that hurdle when we come to it.
>"You'd probably have to be a full, official member of the temple staff to know that stuff. You're just a part-timer right now, aren't you Kyouko?"

>She nods. "Just a part-timer right now. Well, sorta. I'm not really a miko; I just help out. There are a few people like me, but there's barely any real mikos here now besides Sumiko; not a lot of people come to this shrine anymore."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #664 on: January 17, 2013, 08:11:15 PM »
>"Damn shame too, it's a pretty nice place really."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #665 on: January 17, 2013, 08:31:24 PM »
>"Damn shame too, it's a pretty nice place really."

>"It is!" she replies with enthusiasm, even for her. "But the god enshrined here hasn't had many worshipers for generations now. We mostly get a few people from the neighbourhood, a couple old faithfuls, a curious traveler or two, or the occasional group of schoolkids on a field trip.... Everyone else goes to one of the larger shrines. It's a little sad, but Sumiko still takes her duties very seriously!" There is a sort of child-like reverence in Kyouko's eyes as she says this. She pauses a moment, her head drooping sideways a little. "Hmmm... why did you come to us, anyway?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #666 on: January 17, 2013, 08:32:17 PM »
>This one was the closest one to where we were at the time, right?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #667 on: January 17, 2013, 09:18:39 PM »
>"I met an onmyouji a few days ago who told me that a Shintoist might be able to tell me more about this sword than she could. I was in the vicinity, so I figured it was as good a time as any to see if she was telling the truth about that."

« Reply #668 on: January 17, 2013, 10:44:48 PM »
>This one was the closest one to where we were at the time, right?

>In truth, you do not know this for sure, but it was the only one you had noticed during your various limited expeditions through the city.

>"I met an onmyouji a few days ago who told me that a Shintoist might be able to tell me more about this sword than she could. I was in the vicinity, so I figured it was as good a time as any to see if she was telling the truth about that."

>"I met an onmyouji once!" Kyouko chirps. "I watched her put on a puppet show for some children with her shikigami. It was really neat! And I hope Sumiko can help you," she continues. "She knows all kinds of old religion stuff that other people have forgotten. She's really serious about that sort of thing."

« Reply #669 on: January 18, 2013, 03:49:54 AM »
>From our own limited experience in the field, is it uncommon to find youkai around temples at all? Let alone working at one.

« Reply #670 on: January 18, 2013, 04:12:39 AM »
>From our own limited experience in the field, is it uncommon to find youkai around temples at all? Let alone working at one.

>Practitioners of the spiritual arts tend to be overwhelmingly human. You're sure this is at least in part because many of these arts grew out of rituals designed to ward off and seal youkai, back in ancient times when humans were widely preyed upon by them. Obviously the social reality of the present day is very different, but the brands of mysticism they still employ are nonetheless difficult or impossible for many youkai to wield - something about 'spiritual purity' which you've never really understood. And youkai retain their vulnerability to them as well; although you've been fortune to never be on the receiving end of one, you know that certain talismans could inflict more true harm upon you than the razor edge of a sword, despite being harmless when applied against a human.
>That being said, it is not altogether uncommon for youkai to work in the service of religious orders in other capacities; most of the daily affairs of a shrine or temple do not require channelling the mystic, after all, and youkai can still find value in the meditative practices and charitable service that religion can provide. And you have even heard of a rare few wielding spiritualist magic themselves, though never met any yourself. Of course, you haven't exactly visited a whole lot of shrines in your lifetime, either.

« Reply #671 on: January 18, 2013, 04:17:45 AM »
>Nod. "I could tell. The serious part, I mean."
>"What about you, Kyouko, what brought you to this place?"

« Reply #672 on: January 18, 2013, 04:23:19 AM »
>Nod. "I could tell. The serious part, I mean."
>"What about you, Kyouko, what brought you to this place?"

>Kyouko nods several times in response.
>"Well, they looked like they needed another hand here," she says, "so I asked if I could help!"

« Reply #673 on: January 18, 2013, 04:44:35 AM »
>Chuckle. "Good reason, that."
>"But don't you ever find it... weird here, sometimes? Uncomfortable? I mean, you're a youkai, too. There's a reason you don't find too many of us in places like this. At least in my experience."

« Reply #674 on: January 18, 2013, 04:58:14 AM »
>Chuckle. "Good reason, that."
>"But don't you ever find it... weird here, sometimes? Uncomfortable? I mean, you're a youkai, too. There's a reason you don't find too many of us in places like this. At least in my experience."

>Kyouko's ears flatten slightly. "Weird? Why would I find it weird?"

« Reply #675 on: January 18, 2013, 05:02:46 AM »
>"Well, the spiritual powers of places like this. The mystic forces that run through here. The divine energy, that sort of thing."

« Reply #676 on: January 18, 2013, 05:21:11 AM »
>"Well, the spiritual powers of places like this. The mystic forces that run through here. The divine energy, that sort of thing."

>"What about it?" The slightly puzzled look in her eyes suggests she has completely missed your meaning.

« Reply #677 on: January 18, 2013, 05:28:39 AM »
>"I... take it you haven't felt anything like that?"

« Reply #678 on: January 18, 2013, 06:04:10 AM »
>"I... take it you haven't felt anything like that?"

>"Felt anything like that?" she asks, then frowns a little. "I told you that I'm not really a shrine maiden." She holds out the arms of her costume and gives them a little shake. "But they said that I should still look the part, and these clothes are actually more comfy than they look! But I can't really sense the kinds of stuff that Sumiko can. When you brought Kumokirimaru in, it just seemed like an ordinary snazzy sword to me instead of a sacred snazzy sword." She pauses a moment, then calls out "Kumokirimaru!" once more, smiling merrily.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:18:07 AM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #679 on: January 18, 2013, 06:15:57 AM »
>She doesn't frown for very long, does she.
>Is it our imagination, or does she have a tendancy to repeat words or phrases other people day?

« Reply #680 on: January 18, 2013, 06:46:02 AM »
>She doesn't frown for very long, does she.
>Is it our imagination, or does she have a tendancy to repeat words or phrases other people day?

>She does seem to have a very ready smile; you're not certain whether this is mere guilelessness or something more like resilience.
>You have noticed a bit of a tendency in that direction; at the very least, she seems to like hearing the sound of your sword's name. Now that you think of it, she did something similar with your own name when first you met; not that this seemed to keep her from forgetting it.

« Reply #681 on: January 18, 2013, 06:56:11 AM »
>Hmm. From what we know of shinto-styled magics, would we be able to detect Sumiko's... whatever it is she's doing if we were to employ our dousing rods?
>Not that we would, as Kyouko probably wouldn't approve of 'spying' on the older woman. Assuming she IS older than Kyouko, but it's easy to assume.

« Reply #682 on: January 18, 2013, 07:43:25 AM »
>Hmm. From what we know of shinto-styled magics, would we be able to detect Sumiko's... whatever it is she's doing if we were to employ our dousing rods?
>Not that we would, as Kyouko probably wouldn't approve of 'spying' on the older woman. Assuming she IS older than Kyouko, but it's easy to assume.

>That would depend on exactly what she was doing - there aren't really blanket rules when it comes to spirituality. Even if you might not be able to sense the undercurrent of spiritual force at work, you might still be able to detect its effect on the tangible world.
>You have no idea whether Sumiko is older than Kyouko or not, and you think there's a significant chance that she actually isn't. While the relative 'maturity' of them is fairly clear, youkai often mature very differently than humans; it is fully possible that Kyouko has lived a considerable number of years longer than it seems.

« Reply #683 on: January 18, 2013, 07:50:10 AM »
>Chuckle.
>"Fancy name for a sword, isn't it."

« Reply #684 on: January 18, 2013, 08:19:28 AM »
>Chuckle.
>"Fancy name for a sword, isn't it."

>The youkai's head bobs up and down. "I like it! It's fun to say. Kumokirimaru!"

« Reply #685 on: January 18, 2013, 08:37:23 AM »
>Laugh. "I can safely say, I've never seen anyone get excited over the name of a sword because it's fun to say."

« Reply #686 on: January 18, 2013, 08:42:48 AM »
>Laugh. "I can safely say, I've never seen anyone get excited over the name of a sword because it's fun to say."

>Her ears droop just a little. "Is that... a bad thing?"

« Reply #687 on: January 18, 2013, 08:46:46 AM »
>"Hardly." Give the girl a smile. "Just one more nice thing I've found since I left Braston."

« Reply #688 on: January 18, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
>"Hardly." Give the girl a smile. "Just one more nice thing I've found since I left Braston."

>"Nice thing?" she asks, then points towards herself. The look on her face is vaguely puzzled. "Me?"

« Reply #689 on: January 18, 2013, 09:53:15 AM »
>Curious. One would think she doesn't get told that often.
>Affirm her questions with a nod.