Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47622 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #570 on: January 11, 2013, 04:43:11 AM »
>About how long would it take us to get back there?

>Maybe half an hour? Perhaps a little more.

« Reply #571 on: January 11, 2013, 04:52:00 AM »
>We still have some time to kill.
>"May as well do that now, then, while it's on my mind." Give the rabbit a once over. "'less you got another deal to float my way first?"

« Reply #572 on: January 11, 2013, 05:38:07 AM »
>We still have some time to kill.
>"May as well do that now, then, while it's on my mind." Give the rabbit a once over. "'less you got another deal to float my way first?"

>"Weeeeelllll..." Chitsuki answers your look with a once over of her own, then smirks impishly. "That depends on what you're in the market for. Need a good engine? Want the one ya already have to get a good goin' over? I can deck the inside and outside of whatever you're flyin' or sailin' on and more beside - resonators, couplers, radiators, rotors big and small, set your gear to purrin' like it ain't in a decade." She pauses a beat. "Or if you've got somethin' else you wanna show off, I'm always in the market for good hardware."

« Reply #573 on: January 11, 2013, 06:12:12 AM »
>Salesmen.
>Wryly, "You've said that a time or two before, haven't you."

« Reply #574 on: January 11, 2013, 06:20:46 AM »
>Salesmen.
>Wryly, "You've said that a time or two before, haven't you."

>She grins. "Does it make a difference?"

« Reply #575 on: January 11, 2013, 06:37:42 AM »
>Did the Maiden's crew happen to mention if their repairs would be hard to complete once they made landfall?

« Reply #576 on: January 11, 2013, 06:47:15 AM »
>Did the Maiden's crew happen to mention if their repairs would be hard to complete once they made landfall?

>Ishi griped about them more than once, frequently with some volume and enthusiasm. From what you gathered, the repairs the Maiden will require are not exactly difficult, but will consume a fair bit of time and effort nonetheless - particularly so given the supplies and equipment the pirates absconded with for their own vessel.

« Reply #577 on: January 11, 2013, 06:48:40 AM »
>Did we get the impression that she had a handle on things in terms of resupply and whatnot, or did it seem like she was up a creak with a cracked paddle?

« Reply #578 on: January 11, 2013, 07:29:42 AM »
>Did we get the impression that she had a handle on things in terms of resupply and whatnot, or did it seem like she was up a creak with a cracked paddle?

>While nobody was happy about the additional expense the repairs would incur, you didn't get the impression that this would sink them - figuratively or otherwise. Moreover, you suspect Ishi is very particular about her suppliers, given the aspersions which she freely hurled upon various designs of engines that were not her own; you have no idea whether Chitsuki's wares would hold up to her exacting standards, and rather suspect they might not.

« Reply #579 on: January 11, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »
>"Call it a testament to experience, mark in your favor, I would say."
>Or overconfidence, but she got that part away from us, so, give the devil her due.
>"But I'm afraid the only thing I'm riding is my own two feet, at least until my wallet gets a lot thicker than it is now. But if I happen to stumble across some more parts while I'm in town, I've got one more place to take them now than I did before I started."

« Reply #580 on: January 12, 2013, 04:56:36 AM »
>"Call it a testament to experience, mark in your favor, I would say."
>Or overconfidence, but she got that part away from us, so, give the devil her due.
>"But I'm afraid the only thing I'm riding is my own two feet, at least until my wallet gets a lot thicker than it is now. But if I happen to stumble across some more parts while I'm in town, I've got one more place to take them now than I did before I started."

>If anything, the rabbit's grin only deepens at this; there is a cocksure gleam in her eye.
>While she exudes confidence, it's hard to say it's overconfidence when she seems to be doing pretty well for herself.
>"Fab," she says, then reaches into her pocket and produces a small card which she extends in your direction with a tiny flourish. "Look me up whenever ya feel like."

« Reply #581 on: January 12, 2013, 05:33:12 AM »
>Examine card. And accept.

« Reply #582 on: January 12, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »
>Examine card. And accept.

>You take a look at the card. The design is minimalist but jaunty, with bold angular letters. It reads:

Chitsuki Ukizaki
Certified Airship and Heavy Equipment Dealer
Quality parts at affordable prices
Wide selection - Hard to find models - We accept trade-ins
106 Aster Row

« Reply #583 on: January 12, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
>Well that's that somewhat unexpected bit of business taken care of. Profit's profit, even if you can't tell if the other guy got one over on you or not
>Off to the church. See if someone there can tell us about our blade.

« Reply #584 on: January 13, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
>Well that's that somewhat unexpected bit of business taken care of. Profit's profit, even if you can't tell if the other guy got one over on you or not
>Off to the church. See if someone there can tell us about our blade.

>Feeling at least partially satisfied with your business transaction, you decide to return to the shrine you spotted earlier and investigate closer. Keeping a firm grip on the bushy plant in your hand, you bid farewell to Chitsuki and make for the door.
>"By the by," she calls out before you've gotten more than a few feet down the hall. "Glad to see ya didn't work that tail a' yours all the way to the bone. You got a danged cute one."
>She gives you a brazen wink, then turns and bounds up the stairs before you can quite articulate a reply.

>The rest of the trip is marked by fewer unexpected occurances. As the light of the sun wanes, a multitude of smaller ones rise to answer it. Ornamented street lanterns cast flickering shadows upon the stone walkways and the doorways of shops are framed by the warm glow of oil lamps or softly glowing stones while others have fallen dark entirely. Back home, this is probably when the racous strains of carousing oni would start to filter from the north, but here you hear no such thing. Still, the city is not quiet; traffic is lessened from the heat of the day, but there is no shortage of people still moving to and fro as they go about their affairs.
>Your return to the vacinity of the river passes more quickly than your first time, perhaps because you have now commited the route to memory or perhaps because the pressures of time feel slightly lessened with the bittercress firmly in your hand. Though there is still no sign of it blooming and the growth of even its leaves has slowed considerably - this does not stop it threatening to spill over the edge of the planter, but at least its roots to not seem poised to burst it apart.

>By the time you catch sight of the torii again it is firmly dusk, though a pair of lanterns illuminating the shrine entrance keep it from being too hard to spot. The shrine grounds are rather small for what they are, giving almost the impression of being hemmed in by the city surrounding them. Still, effort has obviously been made to give a sense of quiet serenity within the space allowed. Running beneath and beyond the torii is a cobblestone path, flecked with moss and flanked by a pair of tiny brooks that flow languidly along either side. Beyond those lie dense copses of tall, slender trees, the thickness of their foliage sheltering the shrine from the city beyond it and obscuring just how near upon the grounds it presses. Weathered stone lanterns line the path at sparse intervals, the flickering light within them not quite enough to illiuminate the whole walkway to someone with human vision, though it is perfectly adequate to your own. At the far end you can see a modest sized building constructed in a traditional Shinto style, its roof tiled in subdued earth tones.

>A woman garbed in white and red is standing partway along the path, humming contentedly as she sweeps the walkway with a bamboo broom. She is currently back-on to you. No one else is visible.

« Reply #585 on: January 13, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
>Do we know of any protocols forbidding the entrance to temples while armed?

« Reply #586 on: January 13, 2013, 09:05:54 PM »
>Do we know of any protocols forbidding the entrance to temples while armed?

>You don't think there are universal rules regarding that, but you also haven't visited very many.

« Reply #587 on: January 13, 2013, 09:10:23 PM »
>Maybe we should look into taking a job or two for a temple here and there, once we're fixed. A bit of good karma to help deal with the next poisonous youkai we end up locking horns with.
>But first things first. Let's see what kind of services are offered here, see if we can get some information. Approach the sweeping miko.

« Reply #588 on: January 13, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »
>Maybe we should look into taking a job or two for a temple here and there, once we're fixed. A bit of good karma to help deal with the next poisonous youkai we end up locking horns with.
>But first things first. Let's see what kind of services are offered here, see if we can get some information. Approach the sweeping miko.

>You consider adopting a particularly pragmatic approach to spirituality as you approach the merrily humming miko - perhaps a bit too merrily, in fact, as she doesn't seem to take any notice of you as you walk up behind her, though her floppy brown ears perk up every now and again at an accented note. She is sweeping the path with some enthusiasm.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #589 on: January 13, 2013, 09:24:49 PM »
>Wonder if she'll get spooked then, since the girl's clearly distracted.
>"Yo."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #590 on: January 13, 2013, 10:45:17 PM »
>Wonder if she'll get spooked then, since the girl's clearly distracted.
>"Yo."

>Figuring that you're liable to spook the poor miko, you call out a simple "Yo."
>To the contrary, the miko spins smoothly around on her feet and answers you with a broadly beaming smile and enthusiasm. "Yooo!!"
>I- Is that... Kyouko? From back at the Academy? She continues sweeping idly while she beams at you, the tips of her ears twitching merrily.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #591 on: January 13, 2013, 10:48:20 PM »
>Let's make an expression that's a mixture of surprise and happiness. "Kyouko? That you? Man, this is a surprise!"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #592 on: January 13, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »
>Let's make an expression that's a mixture of surprise and happiness. "Kyouko? That you? Man, this is a surprise!"

>"This is a surprise!" she answers. "We don't get many visitors this time of day. And yes, it's me!" Her ears flutter again; for a moment you find yourself drawing an odd comparison with tiny wings. "Welcome to Nanashizumi Shrine, um.... ah..." Her smile wavers and her brow creases in concentration, but then after a few moments searching, returns with redoubled brightness. "I forgot your name!"

« Reply #593 on: January 13, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
>My, but she's perky. And kinda cute, too.
>Smile. Whoa, that's infectious. "It's Nazrin."
>"So you... serve here? Is that the right term for a shrine maiden?"

« Reply #594 on: January 13, 2013, 11:32:29 PM »
>My, but she's perky. And kinda cute, too.
>Smile. Whoa, that's infectious. "It's Nazrin."
>"So you... serve here? Is that the right term for a shrine maiden?"

>She is that. You even find yourself returning a (greatly subdued) smile of your own as you tell your name for a second time.
>"Nazrin... Nazrin... Yes, I remember that now!" She smiles.
>"I just help out!" she replies. "The head priestess is getting older, so they needed some more hands to keep the place tidy and greet visitors, and all that. So here I am!"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #595 on: January 13, 2013, 11:35:30 PM »
>Grin slightly. "Been a while, eh?"
>What's the story behind her back in the academy anyways? Did she have to quit for one reason or another?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #596 on: January 13, 2013, 11:44:46 PM »
>Chuckle.
>"Ain't you a helpful sort. So how long you been here?"

« Reply #597 on: January 13, 2013, 11:58:18 PM »
>What's the story behind her back in the academy anyways? Did she have to quit for one reason or another?

>You have no idea how she came to be helping out at the Academy, or even what her real position there is (if any). And you have no reason to suspect she quit simply because you've found her working somewhere else a few hours later in the day.

>Grin slightly. "Been a while, eh?"

>"I'll remember better next time!"

>Chuckle.
>"Ain't you a helpful sort. So how long you been here?"

>"About... 40 minutes?" she replies cheerfully.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #598 on: January 14, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »
>Ah, she was a part-timer there then.
>Chuckle. "I figured as much. Always the sort to lend a hand where it's needed."
>Fistpalm. "Ah, mind pointin' me to the most knowledgeable person that's here right now? I got something that needs looking at, and only someone who knows faith and the like will have the answers."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #599 on: January 14, 2013, 12:34:11 AM »
>Ah, she was a part-timer there then.
>Chuckle. "I figured as much. Always the sort to lend a hand where it's needed."
>Fistpalm. "Ah, mind pointin' me to the most knowledgeable person that's here right now? I got something that needs looking at, and only someone who knows faith and the like will have the answers."

>It seems possible.
>"A hand where it's needed," she answers with a nod.
>"I can do that!" She thrusts a finger toward the shrine building at the end of the cobblestone path. "You want to speak with Sumiko. I just do yard work and clean things and give directions to people. Oh, and count the offerings and cook mochi and fold laundry and feed the fish and one time I even helped sort the good luck charms. But she's a real miko!"