Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)  (Read 47582 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 11)
« Reply #300 on: December 16, 2012, 11:56:55 AM »
What sort of 'format changes'?

« Reply #301 on: December 18, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
What sort of 'format changes'?

Well, I had been thinking about turning it into a vaudeville show and uploading it on youtube. In truth, I have since decided against many of the rough ideas that I'd been mulling over in my head during the intervening period. Ultimately, what I had hoped to achieve by them is streamlining some of the procedural mechanics of the game (ie: time spent doing relatively uninteresting 'busywork') and reducing some of the apparent aimlessness that has made the game drag from time to time, without significantly reducing the amount of player agency involved. Sadly, I think many of the possibilities I had in mind cost too much of the latter in their efforts to achieve the former.

I realize this is a fairly subjective thing, and as the parser it is sometimes difficult to see things from the players' perspectives, but on more than a couple occasions it has appeared that you (by which I mean the playerbase collectively) have struggled with finding a suitable course of action to pursue, even when I had not intended it to be especially difficult to do so. Some of the very essence of this medium is problem-solving and I think a significant portion of its appeal can come from this, but obviously there are limits. Beyond a certain point, time spent unsure of how to proceed (or perhaps more accurately, time spent not proceeding at all, as a consequence of this) can diminish the enjoyment of the experience for both the players and the parser. While I won't deny that it can be satisfying on occasion to see one's players squirm or wander into a carefully laid trap, there is a sort of mutual consent to this - it is, after all, possible for the parser to make any problem infinitely difficult and deny all attempts at solving it. Yet this would hardly be a fun experience for anyone else involved (we shall ignore the case where the parser is just a complete asshat). While there are certain elements of the gameplay that are reminiscent of a contest between the parser and their players, it is ultimately a cooperative thing; I want Nazrin to succeed as much as you guys do, even if I might perhaps hope the road to her success is not quite as bereft of strife and missteps as you might.

And all that is a really long way of saying that I don't want you guys to feel lost for too long or with incessant frequency, and I fear that you have. I'm sure you have more fun when you feel you're making progress towards something (whatever that goal might be) than casting about in futility. And guess what? It's actually a lot more fun to write interesting and significant things happening than yet another townsfolk that doesn't have any useful answers for you. Note that I am not trying to write off the whole cast of the Academy by saying this, since I happen to like some of them and would like to think I did a decent job of making your interactions with them interesting, given what I had to work with; this point is more general than that and undoubtedly applies to many more situations that will continue to occur as Nazrin Quest proceeds.

As I said earlier, it can be difficult for me to judge at what point an investigation is sufficiently mired as to impede everyone's enjoyment, since 'long' doesn't always mean 'annoying'. And it can also sometimes be tricky to tune difficulty, given that things intended to be obvious often turn out not to be (but not in a predictable manner). It's no fun to make things too hard, but it's also no fun if things are too easy. There wouldn't be much of an experience here if the following sort of exchange was possible:

>Obtain cure
>Using your keen murine wits, you perform a thorough investigation of Val Razua and obtain all the information needed to assemble and administer a cure. Though it takes many days of travel and gathering, you finally succeed in your endeavour and the cure you have long-awaited rests placidly within the vial in your hands. Congratulations!

While that may ultimately serve as a summary of future events, the whole affair loses much of its meaning if there's nothing you guys need to puzzle out on your own - in fact, that seems rather worse than getting stuck outright. Basically, what I had been hoping to devise was a way that I could more effectively keep you guys from getting unpleasantly mired without also taking away my ability to get you pleasantly mired - allowing for challenges in genuine need of lateral thinking as well as the kind of fun freeform goal-setting that is one of the very great things about this medium. I do still have one experimental idea that may accomplish these aims with relatively minimal tradeoffs, though obviously any change comes with that sort of thing attached, by definition. I am actually considering giving this a go again in the quite near future, though it may not be until after Christmas (I'm not sure yet). And hopefully things can proceed smoother from that point for all of us - for various minimalist definitions of 'all', of course :P

« Reply #302 on: December 19, 2012, 06:12:58 AM »
I'd be just as content myself to wait a bit longer, considering that I'm still working until Christmas Eve. But that's just me, it's your game, of course.

Let me just see if I read you right there, from that dissertation. Ideally, you'd like to make things a bit more 'streamlined', without sacrificing the experience in general. Still give us the freedom to stumble around, but give us a tool or two help point us in the right direction?

« Reply #303 on: December 19, 2012, 08:11:08 AM »
Let me just see if I read you right there, from that dissertation. Ideally, you'd like to make things a bit more 'streamlined', without sacrificing the experience in general. Still give us the freedom to stumble around, but give us a tool or two help point us in the right direction?

I suppose that is one way of putting it, but only 'streamlined' in the sense of 'less time spent on low-interest mechanical tasks', since quite a few scenes that are technically peripheral in the scheme of things can still be interesting and amusing diversions (for example, the fairy food critics, at least in my own opinion). What I would like to avoid is not necessarily you guys making 'wrong' choices (unless they are abysmally wrong), but rather potential protracted delays that come from feeling as though none of the options you can see are 'right'. Many missteps that cause negative consequences can be dealt with and often redeemed, but miredness is another matter altogether. So long as you mostly feel like you are doing something that is generally interesting, potentially productive, and overall engaging, things are probably okay even if it turns out to backfire in some sense (so long as that doesn't make you overly gun-shy afterward, of course).

So I suppose that basically I just want to keep things feeling lively and engaging, without too much time spent on hedging one's bets because any possible path forward is too hazy or uncertain, yet without steering things too strongly myself.

« Reply #304 on: December 19, 2012, 09:36:12 AM »
Just trying to keep things simple.

I admit, when I first thought 'a change in format' I wondered, 'Does that mean a change from the Z-adventure format?'
DID that thought cross your mind, by any chance?

« Reply #305 on: December 23, 2012, 08:23:48 AM »
I admit, when I first thought 'a change in format' I wondered, 'Does that mean a change from the Z-adventure format?'
DID that thought cross your mind, by any chance?

Yes, though only fairly briefly. Something like a Choose Your Own Adventure format obviously goes a long way to keeping people from getting derailed from the plot (or at least derailed in ways that the author would rather avoid), but is also fairly limiting in terms of players coming up with fun alternatives to situations that the author themselves had not thought of. In fact, that sort of serendipity, where the story takes a curve that even the parser did not expect, can be a very fun part of this medium. For example, in Keine Quest it had never occurred to me that the players would try to take Rumia along with them, yet she ended up being a recurring and fairly adorable element of the finished product, one that I think the story is all the better for having included. I also considered the possibility of a cross between CYOA-style and traditional forum text adventure, where alternatives would be presented at junctures, yet the players would still be free to propose alternatives not on the original list, but ultimately I decided that I didn't want to make too radical a change to a story already so far in progress.

Hawkpath1337

• Winston Churchill was a Boss.
« Reply #306 on: December 23, 2012, 10:29:58 AM »
HEY LOOK A REVIVED THREAD!
>Remind the audience what has happened so far

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #307 on: December 23, 2012, 10:42:10 AM »
HEY LOOK A REVIVED THREAD!
It's in hiatus right now I think.

Hawkpath1337

« Reply #308 on: December 23, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »
It's in hiatus right now I think.
Ze to you, too, ze.

« Reply #309 on: December 24, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »
Both ahead of one schedule and behind another, I am pleased to announce the official resumption of Nazrin Quest! But before I begin, I want to take a moment to cover two procedural issues:

Firstly, with the resumption of this quest comes a new experimental mechanic: Seeker's Insight.

Using her innate and honed cleverness, Nazrin can to attempt to piece information together, read between the lines to catch things you may have missed, or speculate on useful actions within your present situation. Using this ability can produce a hint in the form of an answer to a single question within the bounds of Nazrin's own knowledge and ability at the time. While it cannot offer information that the players do not already know or have immediate access to, it might be able to remind them of useful things they've forgotten, or connections they have failed to draw from information previous presented.

Responses to questions made using this ability will more directly suggest courses of action and their possible effects than ordinary self-questions could, though will still be limited to Nazrin's own knowledge. This means that Seeker's Insight cannot itself reveal the location of hidden objects, clandestine plans of other characters, or plot twists yet to be revealed. It also cannot state for certain what the consequences of your actions will be, though she can give her best guess.

You have a pool of three Insight Points and each question answered will expend one point from this pool. Points are restored only upon accomplishing some significant plot advancement, so make sure to think twice before using them for a problem you could puzzle out yourself.

To use Seeker's Insight, preface any question with that term. For example
>Seeker's Insight: How could we slip into the basement of the library undetected?
>Seeker's Insight: How can we bypass this creature's carapace?
>Seeker's Insight: How can we reach the idol before Chen?

The more specific a question you pose, the more targeted the reply will be. Trying to phrase things in an overly broad manner will result in a more general answer which may not be as useful to you, so be careful about asking excessively wide-reaching questions. For example:
>Seeker's Insight: How can I cure myself?
is unlikely to produce a suggestion that speaks directly towards Nazrin's current issue with finding the garden, as this is just one small logistical facet of a much wider problem. It might, however, suggest in general some entirely alternate avenues you have not explored.

If you ask a question that Nazrin has no way of answering, a point will still be deducted, so be careful not to ask impossible things like:
>Seeker's Insight: Where is the garden?
>Seeker's Insight: What is the purpose of the relic Aya stole?
>Seeker's Insight: How is Yamame adjusting to Easthaven?
I will, however, allow a couple 'penalty-free' attempts in the early stages, as you get used to what is and isn't a valid question. Rarely, if a particular question might result in a hint too critical to the flow of the story to outright reveal, I will elect not to provide an answer to it. This will not count as spending a point.

The second item concerns not a new mechanic so much as a reminder of something already present in the game but fairly infrequently used. Nazrin is quite capable of taking care of mundane business without you guiding every step of the way, and for some particularly uninteresting tasks it is of benefit to both the players and the parser if you allow her to do so. However, I cannot summarize the results of a trivial task unless you give a command that can cover the entire thing at once (which happens fairly rarely).

As an example, let's consider the task of buying groceries. Unless you intend something very specific with your purchasing strategy, or are planning to spend time conversing with a relevant npc that you know to be working there, or perhaps simply feel like giving an impromptu juggling performance for the other shoppers, Nazrin is quite capable of handling the whole affair on her own. A command like
>Find a grocery store and purchase provisions for the road
could result in a summary wherein Nazrin finds a grocery store and purchases provisions for the road. Since nothing about the expedition is interesting, or presents any challenges or notable dialogue opportunities for the players, or reveals any plot-relevant information, you aren't really missing anything by not being there every step of the way.

But if, instead, you approach the grocery shopping task with a series of much smaller posts, like:
>Find a grocery store
>Enter the shop!
>Look around at the produce
>Find a good cabbage
>?Excuse me, miss? How much for this cabbage??
>Produce 2 guilders and give them to the clerk
>?Thank you!?
>Take the bag containing the cabbage and leave the store
the entire affair is made considerably longer; I can only have Nazrin do as much as you have told her to do. If all you have told her to do is ask one question about a cabbage, all she is going to do is ask one question about a cabbage.

Mind you, it is perfectly fine for you to handle this manually if you have some particular purpose for wanting to do so ? I am simply pointing out that some of these things can be sped up considerably if you don't try to take every small step individually. You don't need to worry about missing something important as a consequence of this; if some point of plot interest would happen along the way, I will pause when it happens. Nor do you need to worry about Nazrin making foolish financial decisions while you're not looking; she's quite a shrewd mouse, after all. Player intervention is relevant if you're purchasing interesting objects from a limited budget (such as the outfitters in Braston), but not if you're purchasing mundane things from a budget that is effectively unlimited within the scope of your target item. A similar automation could apply for things like stabling a horse, boarding a ferry to the south, purchasing lodgings and so on. If it's a task you'd just as soon get over with quickly, make sure you phrase in a way that allows me to do this. And if it isn't... well, that's completely up to you.

Note that it is perfectly fine to include general qualifiers regarding how she should go about the task, if you're concerned that the default behavior would be insufficient but still wish to get the task over with quickly. For example:
>Find the cheapest non-sketchy inn available and book lodging there
>Go to the grocery store and purchase enough food for Christmas dinner. Make sure to get a large fresh cabbage!

And now, on to the actual update....

« Reply #310 on: December 24, 2012, 10:23:06 AM »

>Since becoming a full member of the Seeker's Guild, your life has been busy and full of unexpected adventures, much as you had hoped it would be. Unfortunately, not all of them have taken a form you would have wished for.

>Your career got off to a strange start with you tracking down a missing cat for a curious witch named Ellen, then agreeing to furnish the fairies who had nabbed it with two other cats they could keep as pets - cats not already belonging to someone else. On your way back, you got into a scuffle with an ill-tempered oni named Yuzu as you and your friend and junior town watchman Orange tried to keep her from beating another human bloody.

>After this, you tracked down a missing fruit shipment for the Melon Bowl, discovering that it had been hijacked by a self-styled fairy hero named Cirno after she mistook its owner for a villain. In the process, you acquired an unlikely tag-along named Honeysuckle Dewdrop, who had bravely (if inexpertly) intervened to protect Cirno from you after the ice fairy had mistaken you for an aggressor as well. After Honey's desire to be Cirno's sidekick was rebuffed by the stronger fairy, you offered her 'sidekick lessons' in the hope that she might be able to be a tempering force on the overeager swordsman. To that same end (and also as a way of being rid of her), you introduced Cirno to Marisa, with predictable and explosive results. With Honey's hero temporarily scattered to the winds, you then foisted her onto Marisa for further training; the elder Seeker seemed amused by the idea, though offered no promises that she'd go easy on the diminutive fairy.

>Next, and most fatefully, you investigated the disappearance of a large number of cattle in Easthaven, at the behest of Ichirin. This turned out to be the work of monstrous spiders inhabiting the forest north of the village. Fending off repeated attacks from the swift and venomous creatures, you tracked them back to their lair, a network of caves concealed within the northern hills. After cutting a savagely contested path into the depths of these caves, you encountered something different: a fully ascended youkai, furious with you for slaying her kin. You tried to explain your presence and the havoc that the other spiders had been causing to Easthaven, but she could not be swayed from her belief that you had come to eradicate them.

>A desperate battle for survival ensued, resulting in an unplanned dive off a high ledge and a vicious tumble through the frigid rapids below, in pitch darkness. In the end, this may have been what saved you, for your dowsing skills picked up the presence of something ancient and powerful within the river - a finely crafted sword lodged among an outcropping of rocks beneath the water's surface.

>Somehow this sword possessed the ability to slice through the youkai's hardened webbing as through it were string and allowed you to narrowly gain the upper hand against her when she tracked you down once more, though the encounter still left you gouged and bloody. And, as you would discover soon, far worse off than that, for the cloud of black miasma that had engulfed the site of your final confrontation left you infected with an extremely virulent disease and it was only the power of the blade in your hand which sheltered you from succumbing to it on the spot.

>You tried once more to reason with the spider youkai, now seriously wounded, but she was adamant in her distrust and hate of you; she claimed to be the last of her kind, and that the others had long-ago fallen prey to people from the surface, though you have never heard of such a conflict, nor yet has anyone else you've spoken with.

>The youkai escaped when you briefly relinquished your grip on your weapon and were struck by the full force of the disease coursing through your veins. Weakened and suffering from multiple injuries, you slowly made your way back out of the caves before collapsing outside Easthaven, delirious with fever.

>You awoke several days later to a tearful Ichirin who informed you that you were dying. Minoriko, the resident herbalist of the village, had tended you while you were unconscious and recognized the dire symptoms you presented. They were tell-tale markings of something she had encountered many years ago - a blight that afflicted both people and crops alike - and it was one without any cure that she knew of. While she managed to brew a concoction capable of suppressing the worst of your symptoms for a time, she made it clear that you could expect no more than a couple weeks of life before inevitably succumbing to the disease. You refused to accept this. And so you set off to use your remaining time in search of a cure, even where none supposedly existed. You are a Seeker, after all - finding the near impossible is what you do.

>You left the marshaling of Easthaven's defenses in the capable hands of fellow Seeker Lunasa Prismriver and returned to Braston. There you appealed to Marisa to return to those caverns, find and subdue the spider youkai, and then deliver her to Ichirin. Though you had been unable to reach the youkai through her hate and anger, you had faith that if anyone could, it would be Ichirin. Marisa swore that she would do this and departed on the spot.

>Since then, you have been attending to the matter of your cure, though efforts have not gone smoothly. You consulted with every doctor and healer you could find within Braston, and none of them were able to offer an answer to your disease which you considered credible. You tried to contact the archeological expedition stationed there about translating the inscription on your sword, but also met with little success; access to their dig site was restricted, and a letter from chief archaeologist Keine Kamishirasawa suggested that knowledge of that script was so limited that any translation would take considerable time - time you could ill-afford. Eventually, you decided that your best hope for information about a cure lay in Val Razua, the heart of scholarship and knowledge in Gensokyo, far across the Great Expanse to the west.

>To that end, you sought out a speedy ship that could ferry you there swiftly and found one in the Blue Maiden, a transport vessel of unusual design captained by a woman named Murasa. Unfortunately, this was also not without its trials, as they were currently prohibited from leaving port due to having their export license stolen without a trace - a fact the port authority considered dubious, as no sign of this license ever existing could be found in their records. And so you brokered a deal with Murasa: speedy passage to Val Razua in exchange for sorting this issue out for them. Initial negotiations with head of the port authority, one Louise Saint-Claire, proved trying, though you eventually struck upon the idea of investigating old financial ledgers for the date the license was purchased on. Louise agreed to pull the associated records, though promised no haste in doing so.

>Left with some time to kill, you took another brief contract from the Guild, investigating a crate of expensive wines that had vanished from the basement of the Wild Rose. After a brief search, you uncovered the handiwork of a timid mole youkai who had accidentally tunnelled into the Rose's wine cellar and an opportunistic fairy who had later stumbled upon those very same tunnels in search of treasure. While you were too late to retrieve the wine itself, you reported its fate back to the proprietor, collected your fee, and left one very hung-over fairy with the impression that the wine she had drunk had imparted a terrible curse.

>A small bit of good news was delivered later that night, when you were informed that Louise had discovered record of the export license transaction in the old archives and then reissued it on the spot, as well as promising a full internal investigation of how their records had been tampered with in the first place.

>You left Braston almost immediately and spent an interesting if highly unpleasant night amid a spectacular aether storm. As if this wasn't enough, the very next day, the Blue Maiden was ambushed by a trio of pirate vessels led by the infamous Aya Shameimaru, come seeking a relic which Murasa had been transporting in secret.

>Despite some terrifyingly suicidal manoeuvring on Murasa's part and clever use of a grappling harpoon and rocket boosters to hurl one of their pursuers into the side of an island, the other vessels succeeded in tethering the Maiden and boarding her. During your abortive escape, you personally saved one concussed member of the crew from plummeting over the edge of the deck and then joined the struggle to repulse the invaders. Despite a fierce battle in which several of the crew demonstrated surprising abilities and a great deal of grit, you were ultimately overwhelmed and outmanoeuvred.

>Fortunately, casualties were relatively light and Aya proved merciful regarding the health of her captives, ensuring that any serious wounds were carefully tended to. She even extended an offer to the whole of the Maiden's crew and yourself to join her - an offer that was flatly rejected by all hands. She was less generous when it came to the Maiden's cargo, exacting a high price as compensation for her damaged vessel. And, of course, she found the object she was looking for - a small emblazoned rhombus of unknown origin and inscrutable purpose. While you gathered it had been discovered at the archeological dig north of Braston and may have been intended for Lady Scarlet's hands, few other details were forthcoming and you suppose it may remain a mystery at this point.

>Before the pirates departed, Aya offered you the services of an onmyouji in her employ who examined your sword in the hope that she could offer some insight into its power - insight that might help you find a cure. While she ultimately could offer little help herself in such a short window of time, she suggested that the nature of this power was Shinto in origin and that an expert practitioner of that art might offer insight that she could not.

>With the pirates gone, the rest of the trip passed without incident and offered a pleasant respite from the hectic schedule of the previous few days, though you could feel the ticking of the clock as the blighted marks upon your flesh grew larger with each passing day.

>Eventually you arrived in Val Razua and immediately headed for the Grand Academy, figuring that if knowledge of your disease is to be found anywhere, it would be found here. And though it took some time and bouncing back and forth between representatives of no less than three departments, you have finally done so!

>Buried in a very old tome within the rare books archive in the basement of Voile Magisterial Library was a recipe for a concoction designed to treat a disease whose symptoms sound very similar to your own. Though the recipe used many obsolete terms for plants and place names, you were able to translate it into modern parlance with the help of Professor Bosqeuverde of the Alchemy and Herbalism department, a very scattered if knowledgeable woman. Unfortunately, this led to another snag: a key ingredient in this mixture is fresh bittercress blossoms, however the flower blooms only every seven years and is not due for another three.

>However, the professor nonetheless left you with a small ray of hope as she delivered this impossible conundrum - the rumoured existence of a garden deep in the wilderness at the southwestern edge of Val Razuan territory where flowers of all kinds remain perpetually in bloom. While she didn't know if this included bittercress and she also didn't precisely where to find it, it at least gave you something to search for. And search you have.

>Unfortunately, a consultation with the Divinations department offered little assistance; the target region was simply too broad and too far away from the city, and you lacked any sympathetic anchor with which to guide a long-range scry. A trip to the library's map room was also fairly unproductive - the region is mapped only crudely as you venture further from settled lands, and none of the maps indicated an obvious location for the garden to be. However, one spot did catch your eye: a fairy village located on the outskirts of this wilderness. Following up on this, you discovered that Dai, the fairy who helped break a troublesome enchantment upon you earlier that day, was from that very village. You tracked her down again and are currently asking if she can tell you how to reach the garden. While she does not seem to know specifically where it is, she clearly knows of its existence and in fact seems intent on warning you away from it, though you're not about to be deterred just yet.

>"I intend to. Believe me, I'm in no hurry to face another dangerous youkai on her home turf, not after the last time I tried. But like I said, if I come up dry here, then that leaves me with pretty much the one option. So, even if you don't know exactly where this garden is, then giving me an idea would be one more idea than I've got."
>"I realize that she may be dangerous, but trust me when I say, it's important that I find this plant."

>Dai fidgets silently beneath your gaze, a conflicted expression on her face. After a few moment, she opens her mouth to speak, then pauses again.
>"I'm... not sure I could give you directions that would actually be helpful," she says. "There are... I suppose you could call them landmarks - special rocks or trees or other places that some of my sisters have named, but... you won't find them on any map. They're mostly not very important to anyone else," she adds bashfully.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:31:05 AM by DracoOmega »

Hawkpath1337

« Reply #311 on: December 24, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »
>ROCK OUT FOR NO REASON.

« Reply #312 on: December 24, 2012, 12:43:55 PM »
I see being probated has done little to change you.

Troll notwithstanding, I had a question about the Insight mechanic, before we get too far along. Can we use it to determine the value of things? Say, for instance, a large gold bust of Yukari's bust? Or would a general 'How much do we think this could fetch' question suffice?

« Reply #313 on: December 24, 2012, 12:57:11 PM »
Well, that sort of question should be answerable via a conventional inquiry, at least if Nazrin knows enough to estimate its value. You obviously don't need to spend an insight point to canvas Nazrin's own knowledge - you've been doing that all game and I don't intend to stop that. This is intended more for asking "what should I do to accomplish X?"

I suppose now that I think of it, the line may not be clear between which questions are 'free' and which are not. Think of an insight point buying you a 'hint', rather than merely accessing information - even if you choose the form of the hint you receive. So questions like "Have we met this person before?" or "What do we know about conjuration spells?" are free, questions like "Where could we find a good pawn shop?" are also free so long as the answer is straightforward, but something like "How do we convince this guy to buy this gold bust for twice what it's worth?" would cost an insight point, since you are basically asking for advice on how to solve a non-trivial problem. Advice on trivial problems (ones that do not require skill, but merely knowledge that Nazrin possesses and you do not) is also free, such as "How can I register a petition with the Guild?". I hope that doesn't sound too confusing or fuzzy?

« Reply #314 on: December 24, 2012, 01:06:50 PM »
Seems clear enough to me.

Presumably, if we ask a question that would require an Insight point without actually using one, there will be a notification of this in some way? For instance, that "How do we convince this guy to buy this gold bust for twice what it's worth?" question you mentioned.

« Reply #315 on: December 24, 2012, 01:17:37 PM »
Yes, if it's a question that obviously cannot be answered for free, I can suggest that you could get a real answer by spending one, but you'll never need to worry about spending one 'by accident'.

« Reply #316 on: December 24, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »
All right, I think that covers the questions I have, for the moments. If anything else comes up, I will of course ask.
Now, then, back to business, before I pass out completely. Promised myself I'd get at least one in.

>Assuming that a fairy has left some sort of magical imprint or something akin to that on a tree or a rock, would we be able to sense that residue?

« Reply #317 on: December 24, 2012, 02:04:33 PM »
>Assuming that a fairy has left some sort of magical imprint or something akin to that on a tree or a rock, would we be able to sense that residue?

>Dowsing for fairies at all is a dicey business that usually doesn't produce results and certainly you've never encountered one that passively left discernible traces in their wake for any length of time. Now, you suppose it's possible that if they had done something to said tree or rock, you might be able to detect it, but you seriously doubt you can sense the mere fact that they've been there a bunch of times. In that regard, mundane things like footprints would be a lot more useful.

« Reply #318 on: December 24, 2012, 02:25:46 PM »
>Wingprints, maybe? No, let's be serious here.
>"Landmarks are always a good thing." Pause a moment. "Unless this is a personal thing?"

Hawkpath1337

« Reply #319 on: December 24, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »
>Do something Silly, this is not a troll. OKAY!? I GENUINELY WANT SILLIES!
>Other than that, agreeing with Sourfang.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #320 on: December 24, 2012, 02:53:44 PM »
There's a time for funny, and a time for serious. This is not a time for funny. Maybe in another adventure.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #321 on: December 24, 2012, 03:02:57 PM »
Let me give you some advice. If you want to add a joke to a game, then do so in a slashed out command.

>Like this.

That way, it takes the form of a joke, instead of spam. Being part of the peanut gallery is fine, you just need to know how to do it, and how often.

« Reply #322 on: December 24, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »
>Wingprints, maybe? No, let's be serious here.
>"Landmarks are always a good thing." Pause a moment. "Unless this is a personal thing?"

>Dai frowns slightly, though this seems more from puzzlement than inner conflict. "A... personal thing? What do you mean?"

>Do something Silly, this is not a troll. OKAY!? I GENUINELY WANT SILLIES!

>Sadly, now does not seem an appropriate juncture for being silly - not when there is information at stake which your life may very literally depend upon.

« Reply #323 on: December 24, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »
>"Well, you mentioned trees and rocks your sisters named. I don't know an awful lot about fairys, so I didn't know if that sort of thing was important to fey-folk, or something."

« Reply #324 on: December 24, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »
>"Well, you mentioned trees and rocks your sisters named. I don't know an awful lot about fairys, so I didn't know if that sort of thing was important to fey-folk, or something."

>"No, not really," she says. "Just like... maybe a rock with a funny shape or a tree that always had good berries growing near it or an old log that we'd play hide and seek around.... That sort of thing." She fidgets and looks away again.

« Reply #325 on: December 24, 2012, 03:23:14 PM »
>Why is she so nervous talking about this sort of thing.
>Is she looking towards anything in particular?

« Reply #326 on: December 24, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
>Why is she so nervous talking about this sort of thing.
>Is she looking towards anything in particular?

>Well, she seemed outright frightened of Yuka, but this seems like something different. If you had to guess, you might even say she looks a little embarrassed.
>Not as far as you can tell.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #327 on: December 24, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
>We vaguely remember doing that sort of thing too when we were just starting as a Youkai too didn't we?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #328 on: December 24, 2012, 03:47:32 PM »
>We vaguely remember doing that sort of thing too when we were just starting as a Youkai too didn't we?

>You have played hide and seek, yes, among other activities that might be considered the domain of children, though you distanced yourself from much of this as you grew to understand the social implications of these activities;  you chafed at the idea of being seen as a child when you were sharp of mind and physically mature. Fairies are very different creatures than beast youkai, however. Fairies, in fact, don't really seem to grow up at all, at least as far as you're aware; child-like play seems a fixture of fairy behavior, near universally.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #329 on: December 24, 2012, 03:49:58 PM »
>So we know how it is then, eh? Maybe she's a shockingly mature Fairy. it would explain why she's more competent than the usual strain.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!