Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)  (Read 44698 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2011, 06:13:16 AM »
>Examine what they have in the range of rapiers, dirks, shortspears and twinblades.

>There are a range of slender thrusting swords varying in price from 120 for a plain, if functional design, all the way up to 295 for a highly detailed one with an elaborately styled hilt.
>There is also a small collection of larger non-throwing daggers, ranging from 28 for a simple example to 85 for an almost-decorative one with a finely-tooled sheath.
>As a group, the spears are more uniform and less impressive in detailing. Most of them are essentially the same utilitarian design, and around the 65 guilder mark.
>There is nothing here that you would term a twinblade.

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2011, 06:41:33 AM »
>Does our kunai pouch have sufficient space to allow an extra half dozen kunai in addition to the one the Prismrivers recovered for us?

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2011, 06:51:18 AM »
>Does our kunai pouch have sufficient space to allow an extra half dozen kunai in addition to the one the Prismrivers recovered for us?

>You think seven is definitely too many, though you could stow the rest in one of the more easily-accessible pouches of your pack for only slightly slower access.

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2011, 07:25:17 AM »
Now at this point, I'm tempted to pick up at least one set of kunai, maybe one or two more, because our limited number on the spider quest frustrated me to no end. However, again, we only have so much money. But, we also have at least a couple hours before Yuugi said she'd have our sheathe ready. So, here's what I propose.
Now that we have the prices from this place, we see what work is available at the guildhall. See if anything can be done within a couple hours, for a quick buck. Then when we see Yuugi, we get her prices, and then decide what we want. And if there's nothing available, well, we'll see what happens.

>Back to the guildhall to check the job postings.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2011, 08:29:38 AM »
I like that plan.

>How far off is the guildhall? If not too far, go have a look at the billboard.

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2011, 08:59:14 AM »
>How far off is the guildhall? If not too far, go have a look at the billboard.
>Back to the guildhall to check the job postings.

>The guildhall is more or less on the other side of the market district, but you decide that it's as productive a way to pass time as any at the moment. You exit the weapon shop and head back that way.

>As you step inside, Sashiko looks up from shuffling paperwork and shakes her head at you.
>"Nothing's come in for you yet, if that's what you're hoping," she says.

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2011, 09:15:11 AM »
>"I suspected as much. But I'm just here to check the board. Got some time on my hands before I gotta meet someone."
>Check the board.

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2011, 01:38:14 AM »
>"I suspected as much. But I'm just here to check the board. Got some time on my hands before I gotta meet someone."
>Check the board.

>Sashiko nods. "Sure, got it."

>You step into the common area and take a look at the job board. Aside from the usual notices, you see four individual jobs that were posted today:
>A tavern seeking investigation into the theft of a number of expensive vintage wines.
>Someone looking for a dedicated courier to pick up and ensure the secure delivery of an undisclosed object from Welmark to Braston
>An embroiderer requesting someone locate their lost sign.
>A person seeking a copy of an antique book entitled 'Flora of the Far Isles, by Bartholomew Ranford', and willing to pay top price for it.

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2011, 02:49:33 AM »
>How far is it to Welmark from Braston?
>Examine the signs from from the embroiderer and the book-seeker.

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2011, 03:03:32 AM »
>How far is it to Welmark from Braston?
>Examine the signs from from the embroiderer and the book-seeker.

>Welmark is medium-sized town on another island in the Outer Freelands to the southeast of Estval. You've been there before, during your apprenticeship. As you recall it, the ferry there took the better part of a day.
>According to the notice from the embroiderer, the sign that usually hangs outside their storefront has been misplaced. You're not entirely certain how this might happen, but the wording seems to press the point that it was not stolen, and there there will be no need to deal with possible criminals or vandals. Perhaps to allay concerns that this is a frivolous request, they have promised a generous reward if it can be returned in good condition.
>The notice from the book-seeker contains almost no further details than the title of the book that they are looking for, and their willingness to pay a very handsome amount for a copy of it.

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2011, 03:10:33 AM »
>By any chance, would that sign be the one we used to beat the stuffing out of Yuzu?
>Check contact information for the book-seeker.

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2011, 03:15:31 AM »
>By any chance, would that sign be the one we used to beat the stuffing out of Yuzu?
>Check contact information for the book-seeker.

>Not unless the pawn shop you borrowed the sign from was merely a clever front from an embroiderer.
>The notice directs you to an address in the south-central part of Braston.

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2011, 03:44:20 AM »
>"Hey, Sashiko. Is Rinnosuke about?"

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2011, 03:57:57 AM »
>"Hey, Sashiko. Is Rinnosuke about?"

>"Think so!" she calls back from the entryway.
>"Yeah, he's here," another Seeker in the common area says.

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2011, 04:02:35 AM »
>To both or either: "Thanks. Where abouts?"
>Go to the indicated location.

« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2011, 06:19:26 AM »
>To both or either: "Thanks. Where abouts?"
>Go to the indicated location.

>"Probably in his office," the one closer to you offers.
>As is usual when Rinnosuke is about, the door to his office is open. It is a reasonably-sized space, though always manages to seem cluttered from all the objects on display. As befitting the master of a guild of treasure hunters, Rinnosuke maintains an extensive collection of... uh, well... honestly you've seen little rhyme or reason to the items he collects, though they're often quite unusual or unique in some way; it is not at all uncommon for you to have no idea what some of them even are. Moreover, nearly every time you have set foot in this room, something about its contents seems to be different; either he is forever trading his possessions for different ones, or has a large enough stockpile of eclectica in reserve somewhere to always manage to find something to display that you haven't yet seen.

>Glancing around, you see:
>A small geometric sculpture of interlocking cubes cast in gold, silver, and bronze
>A large jade statuette of a monk kneeling in meditation
>A heavy brass key
>What appears to be a small globe of water magically suspended in the air between two brushed metal discs joined by thin rods of the same material. Little wisps of color swirl within the water.
>A two-pronged knife with small slivers of pale blue crystal inlaid along its inner edge, looking almost reminiscent of a tuning fork
>A small pyramid of black marbles resting on a metal stand;
>A scroll case with an elaborately carved relief of a dragon in gold, coiled around its length
>A surprisingly mundane-looking glass decanter, apparently empty
>A red silken scarf trimmed with tiny bells
>A small flute, carved from ivory
>A small silver figurine of a dove in flight
>A heavy metal helmet capped with an ostentatious blue plume
>A brass spyglass resting on a wooden stand
>A dusty white book with an odd design on its cover
>A jacinth tiger
>A short cross-pointed spear with a white tassal. Several ofuda dangle from it.

>The man himself is indeed inside, bent over a small box on top of his desk. He looks up at you as you enter, and gives a slight nod in your direction.
>"Good morning, Nazrin."

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »
>How loudly is our treasure sense pinging right about now?
>"Morning, boss."
>Take a closer look at that dusty book.

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2011, 06:53:09 AM »
>How loudly is our treasure sense pinging right about now?
>"Morning, boss."
>Take a closer look at that dusty book.

>You're definitely getting a variety of odd vibes from the stuff in this room, but that's nothing unusual. More than a handful of them certainly have non-obvious properties, but you couldn't discern what they are, or even which items you're sensing them from, without a closer investigation.
>"I hope you slept well," he says.
>You lean over and take a closer look at the book. It is a thin volume, bound in leather. The design on the cover is complex: roughly circular, with threefold symmetry, it consists of wide sweeps and irregular spiraling arcs that somehow manage to form a cohesive and even pleasing design. It looks largely geometric, but some of its curves are almost suggestive of writing, though you do not recognize the script. In fact, you cannot be certain it actually is a script, and not purely ornamentation.

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2011, 07:21:14 AM »
>"Well enough. Thanks for askin'."
>Take a closer look at that spear.
>"Never ceases to amaze me, the stuff you have."

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2011, 07:35:19 AM »
>"Well enough. Thanks for askin'."
>Take a closer look at that spear.
>"Never ceases to amaze me, the stuff you have."

>He gives a slight nod by way of acknowledgment.
>You take a closer look at the spear. It is not a great deal more than 5 feet in length, and of generally plain construction, though the craftsmanship in it is evident. The spearhead is proportionately long and roughly cross-shaped, with two short blades extending almost at right angles to the main point. A long white tassel hangs from where the spearhead joins the haft, looking rather reminiscent of a mane. The ofuda attached to it strongly suggest some spiritual power within the weapon, though you don't know what that would be.
>"Such curiosities are one of the allures of our profession," he replies.

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2011, 07:43:25 AM »
>"It's one of those curiousities I wanted to ask you about, actually. Not about what we talked about the other night, something else."
>"Have you ever heard of a book called... what was it, 'Flora of the Far Isles?'"

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2011, 07:48:54 AM »
>"It's one of those curiousities I wanted to ask you about, actually. Not about what we talked about the other night, something else."
>"Have you ever heard of a book called... what was it, 'Flora of the Far Isles?'"

>"That is a very old name," Rinnosuke says, then pauses thoughtfully for a moment. "Ah, yes, I do believe so. That was one of the very early naturalist texts written about the Outer Freelands shortly after their discovery, and long before they were actually called that."

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2011, 07:58:54 AM »
>"That's gotta go back... what, a millenia, or so?"
>No wonder it was listed as hard to come by.

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2011, 08:04:36 AM »
>"That's gotta go back... what, a millenia, or so?"
>No wonder it was listed as hard to come by.

>Rinnosuke actually looks a little disappointed. "Not nearly that old, certainly. I'm not especially familiar with the work, but I imagine it is 400 years old at most."
>On the other hand, a book printed last year might be hard to come by if there was only one copy made.

« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2011, 08:21:19 AM »
>"Ah, right. Sorry, had a little trouble with times lately. Kinda got other dates on my mind."
>"So this book...."
>Trail off as we take a closer look at that tuning fork thing.
>"This is interesting. A practical weapon, or does it have some kinda special property?"

« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2011, 08:43:56 AM »
>"Ah, right. Sorry, had a little trouble with times lately. Kinda got other dates on my mind."
>"So this book...."
>Trail off as we take a closer look at that tuning fork thing.
>"This is interesting. A practical weapon, or does it have some kinda special property?"

>"Of course," he replies.
>You start to inquire further on the topic, but find your attention taken by the unusual tuning fork-like dagger.
>"Ah, this?" Rinnosuke looks towards the item in question. "This is a resonance blade. It induces strong, but transient vibrations in certain materials when it strikes them with sufficient force. I would offer to demonstrate, but given your current situation I wouldn't wish to risk disarming you."

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2011, 08:52:06 AM »
>Nod. "Sound concern."
>"So, if you stick someone with it, it makes them... shake?"

« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2011, 08:56:13 AM »
>Nod. "Sound concern."
>"So, if you stick someone with it, it makes them... shake?"

>"It doesn't work on flesh," he replies. "But it has a quite pronounced effect on metal, and also some on wood, glass, and other materials."

« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2011, 08:58:04 AM »
>"Interesting little blade ygot here. I might call it more a tool than a weapon, though, but that ain't exactly a bad thing at all. I can think of a few places where something like this'd come in handy."

« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2011, 08:59:10 AM »
>"Interesting little blade ygot here. I might call it more a tool than a weapon, though, but that ain't exactly a bad thing at all. I can think of a few places where something like this'd come in handy."

>"Indeed."