Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)  (Read 45463 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2011, 08:34:58 AM »
>Take a moment to try and calm ourselves. Ichirin was different, but you're NOT gonna appear like this to Rinosuke, Nazrin!
>"No, don't.... don't apologize, I...." Sniff. "How can I make it up to you?"

« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2011, 08:50:20 AM »
>Take a moment to try and calm ourselves. Ichirin was different, but you're NOT gonna appear like this to Rinosuke, Nazrin!
>"No, don't.... don't apologize, I...." Sniff. "How can I make it up to you?"

>You pull yourself back together, resolving not to let yourself look this way to anyone else.
>He gives a gentle smile. "By forgiving me my foolishness." And with that, he walks over to where the broken jacinth tiger rests on the ground and puts his hands together in a pose that reminds you of a meditative seal. He speaks a single word: "A'havra."
>The statuette flies back together, looking every bit as unbroken as it did when you stepped into the room.

« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »
>Blink. Blink.
>"How'd you DO that?"

« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2011, 09:05:34 AM »
>Blink. Blink.
>"How'd you DO that?"

>"Oh, I'm afraid I didn't do anything," he says, smiling slightly, "though I imagine it would be quite a convenient ability to possess. But no, that display rests purely within the figure's own power. I merely spoke a command word."
>He bends down and picks up the statuette then sets it back on the table where it rested a few moments ago.
>"I feel I should also inform you that it was no act of clumsiness on your part that sent it to the ground. It is..." He frowns a little. "I suppose one might call it a curse, in some senses. The tiger has a tendency to move itself while one's eyes are averted, in an effort to cause unwitting passersby to topple it."

« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2011, 09:07:38 AM »
>Blink again.
>Burst out laughing.

« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2011, 09:10:56 AM »
>Blink again.
>Burst out laughing.

>You blink, and then burst out laughing, quickly dispelling the atmosphere that had filled the room mere moments before. Rinnosuke gives you an almost sheepish look.
>"I do hope you'll forgive my insensitivity," he says.

« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2011, 09:17:07 AM »
>Laugh, then wipe a tear away. Give Rino a grin.
>"Forgive me for popping off like I did, and we'll call it even."
>"But I gotta ask, where'd you find a thing like that? Statue with... curse, like that, there's gotta be a story there."

« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2011, 09:24:31 AM »
>Laugh, then wipe a tear away. Give Rino a grin.
>"Forgive me for popping off like I did, and we'll call it even."
>"But I gotta ask, where'd you find a thing like that? Statue with... curse, like that, there's gotta be a story there."

>You laugh and then give Rinnosuke a grin. Man, that feels better.
>"Very well," he says, returning a much fainter version of your expression.
>He nods. "As odd as it may seem, this behavior is by design, in fact. It was created by an obscure sect of Rhashavalan monks as a way to test people's honesty and sense of duty. What would a passerby do when they realized they had shattered such an obviously valuable object, even if by accident? Would they offer to reimburse the owner? Would they ignore it and quickly withdraw? Would they deny involvement if confronted? It is an intriguing item, though I'm not certain how much it was ever used in practice."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2011, 09:36:06 AM »
>"It doesn't take to following people, does it?"

« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2011, 09:38:11 AM »
>"What kind of order would make something like that?"
>What do we know about Rasheval?

« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2011, 09:49:26 AM »
>"It doesn't take to following people, does it?"

>"I don't believe it's capable of moving very far from its original position," he says. "At least I've never seen it do so."

>"What kind of order would make something like that?"
>What do we know about Rasheval?

>"A very peculiar one, no doubt. Little is known about them now, I think"
>Quite little, honestly. You know it is a significant and very old kingdom to the far west, but travel between it and the central nations is quite limited; the only available routes cut through deep parts of the Wild Lands, which is a quite sufficient impediment to trade relations. What few goods manage to make their way from there are often worth a very substantial amount.

« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2011, 09:56:50 AM »
>"You ever been out that way, boss?"

« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2011, 09:57:39 AM »
>"You ever been out that way, boss?"

>"Not for a great many years," he replies.

« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »
>"Tell me a little about it. Ynever know, I may end up there myself, one day, once this affair is over. Like to know what it's like."

« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2011, 10:46:15 AM »
>"Tell me a little about it. Ynever know, I may end up there myself, one day, once this affair is over. Like to know what it's like."

>He pauses to consider a moment before answering. "Rhashaval is a land of ancient and unbroken tradition, and it wears this history on every stone. When there, one sometimes gets the sense that people go about their business as though there were simply carrying out their role in a larger tapestry, as things have always been and always will be. Take that as you will. It is a deeply spiritual land, though, and the some of its temples are masterworks of architecture. In many ways, they surpass even Val Razua, though their styles are quite distinct. In Val Razua, architecture exists to celebrate art and glorify the wealth and magnanimity of its patrons. In Rhashaval, it sometimes feel more like an act of reverence, a completion of what was ordained should exist. Though it would be remiss of me to imply that the line of Emperors were above self-glorification. If Rhashaval is a land that reveres tradition, then theirs is the most ancient of all, or so they would like you to believe. Still, it is an exotic land of exotic foods and art and culture that can rarely if ever be found on this side of the world. It is also very hot," he adds, in a slightly less generous tone.

« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2011, 11:55:13 AM »
>Note to self: Pack a fan. And Letty.
>"A place that holds its past in such high regard could have a lot of use for a Seeker, finding one or two bits of history that might have got lost along the way."
>"So that tricksy little statue. That the only little treasure you got from there?"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:14:20 PM by Old Man Sour »

« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »
>Note to self: Pack a fan. And Letty.
>"A place that holds its past in such high regard could have a lot of use for a Seeker, finding one or two bits of history that might have got lost along the way."
>"So that tricksy little statue. That the only little treasure you got from there?"

>Good luck convincing a Yuki-onna to travel to a land without snowfall!
>"Less so than perhaps you might think," he replies, "but I'm sure a resourceful Seeker could still find work for themselves."
>"I've picked up a few items here and there over the years," he says.

« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
>Oh, I'm sure we can convince her.... And if not, get duct tape and a car.
>Bet you have...
>Travel time between here and there's gotta be beyond our alloted time, and even if Val Razua is the center of magic and knowledge and all that jazz, even that's at least a week away. Or is it?
>"You wouldn't be acquainted with any captains with fast ships, by any chance, wouldja?"

« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2011, 01:37:21 AM »
>Oh, I'm sure we can convince her.... And if not, get duct tape and a car.
>Bet you have...
>Travel time between here and there's gotta be beyond our alloted time, and even if Val Razua is the center of magic and knowledge and all that jazz, even that's at least a week away. Or is it?
>"You wouldn't be acquainted with any captains with fast ships, by any chance, wouldja?"

>Acquiring a car might actually prove more difficult than the problem you are attempting to solve by using one
>You swear he leaves more unsaid than he ever actually says...
>Rhashaval is substantially further away than Val Razua, and a significant portion of the journey must be done overland. Even without the hazards along the way, you imagine it would take several weeks for certain.
>"I have been acquainted with a few captains in my time," he says, "and one might perhaps term some of their ships fast, though I fear I cannot give you the answer you're hoping for. You are thinking about passage to Val Razua, yes?"

« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2011, 02:13:23 AM »
>Nod. "One thing I've been told over and over about this blight of mine is that it's exotic and strange. It's possible that a cure simply doesn't exist on this island. A place like Val Razua would seem a decent place to look for answers about anything 'exotic'. Trouble is, I don't think I have the time to take the normal boat to get there. I know I've said two weeks, but really, that was Minoriko being optimistic. I may have as little as a week- Less now. If I do have to leave the island, find a cure in Val Razua, or somewhere else, then I need to get there as fast as possible."
>Other than Val Razua and Rasheval, what other major sources of civilization do we know of beyond this island?

« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2011, 03:49:19 AM »
>Nod. "One thing I've been told over and over about this blight of mine is that it's exotic and strange. It's possible that a cure simply doesn't exist on this island. A place like Val Razua would seem a decent place to look for answers about anything 'exotic'. Trouble is, I don't think I have the time to take the normal boat to get there. I know I've said two weeks, but really, that was Minoriko being optimistic. I may have as little as a week- Less now. If I do have to leave the island, find a cure in Val Razua, or somewhere else, then I need to get there as fast as possible."

>Rinnosuke nods. "I understand, of course. Unfortunately, even if I were to call in a contact, you might well already be to Val Razua through traditional means by the time they could arrive. Some of them can be rather... difficult to track down."

>Other than Val Razua and Rasheval, what other major sources of civilization do we know of beyond this island?

>Aside from Val Razua, two other major nations occupy the central islands of Gensokyo: The Hanashibara Federated Republic, and the Empire of Higan.
>Hanashibara is both the largest and most populous of the three, spanning a substantial portion of the land south of Val Razua, as well as smaller island chains alongside it. It is the homeland of the kappa, and famous for its technological innovations. Unfortunately, it shares most of its western border with the Wild Lands and is the only one of the three nations exposed in this way. Despite this, you hear it's actually quite a pleasant place, even if it lacks the wealth and ostentation of Val Razua.
>Beyond the southern border of Hanashibara lies the Empire of Higan. Despite the name, they are actually the smallest of the three nations - you have the impression this was not always the case - but the discipline of their soldiers is renowned and affords them considerable influence. Its capital lies on a famously impregnable fortress-island off the southern edge of the mainland; naturally inaccessible by air, it is connected to the rest of Gensokyo by a massive bridge spanning the sky between the capital and the mainland, still considered one of the greatest feats of civil engineering in the world. Higan has something of a reputation for firm and unyielding governance, alternately regarded as commendable or regrettable depending on who you ask. You have a vague sense that there is some antagonism between Higan and Val Razua; while Braston is largely autonomous in a day-to-day sense, it still maintains some colonial ties with Val Razua and you've more than once heard people speak of Higan in unpleasant tones. That being said, it's certainly nothing approaching the level of open hostilities as far as you're aware.
>You know Higan and Hanashibara are closely allied, but despite this you've never heard people talk about the latter with the same sense of tension as the former; the details of politics in general isn't something you're honestly very well informed on.
>Besides these three, far to the north of Val Razua lies the isolated island nation of Meijima. You don't know a great deal about it, although you've heard that the entire island sometimes drifts off charted airship routes, becoming inaccessible for decades at a time. On the international stage, they tend to keep to their own affairs, though are open to visitors, as far as you know.
>You suppose that the Tengu lands could also count, but their territory is closed to outsiders and they play little role in international politics. About the most contact anyone has with them is a rare visit from a merchant vessel trading rarities from their homeland. Or the occasional pirate.

« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2011, 04:14:17 AM »
>Pirates?
>Do the oni have a 'homeland', like the kappa and the tengu do?
>Chuckle. "Had to ask. I might check out the port anywhere, just to see what's there."
>Glance around, then grin. "Got anything else lying around here that's gonna jump out at me?"

« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2011, 04:38:46 AM »
>Pirates?
>Do the oni have a 'homeland', like the kappa and the tengu do?
>Chuckle. "Had to ask. I might check out the port anywhere, just to see what's there."
>Glance around, then grin. "Got anything else lying around here that's gonna jump out at me?"

>While not generally a major problem, pirates do sometimes prey on shipping between the major nations and outlying areas. Of these, the tengu tend to be the most notable. Tengu are superlative pilots, and their ships are faster and more maneuverable than those used by other races. Which means they tend not to get caught. You imagine it probably helps that they seem to consider themselves above everyone else, too....
>You aren't entirely sure, now that you stop to think of it. As far as you know, Braston is actually home to the largest oni population in Gensokyo, though they clearly didn't originate from here given the town's relatively recent settlement. Certainly, there is no 'oni nation' that you know of. For that matter, Hanashibara isn't really a 'kappa nation', though kappa are common within it; you're fairly sure that humans are still more numerous than any other race.
>Rinnosuke nods. "A sensible idea. I have confidence in your investigative abilities."
>He returns a faint smile. "I do not believe so, no."

« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2011, 04:53:17 AM »
>Does that pirate activity extend to passenger ships between here and, well, anywhere else, as far as we know? That'd be the last thing we need.

« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2011, 04:59:20 AM »
>Does that pirate activity extend to passenger ships between here and, well, anywhere else, as far as we know? That'd be the last thing we need.

>Passenger ships don't generally have much worth risking stealing compared to merchant vessels or freighters carrying large amounts of hiirokane or orichalcum, and pirates aren't in the habit of holding crews ransom. Besides, if they tried it then they probably would get caught. In truth, while piracy exists, it is far from rampant and not something that is usually even worried about when traveling from point A to B.

« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2011, 05:27:41 AM »
>Bid farewell to Rinosuke, then go have another look at the job posting board for contact info on the embroiderer and the tavern with the missing wine.
>Make a guess at the time. Head to Yuugi's if we think it's time to rendevous with her.
>If we still have the time, swing by the messanger service in town. Minoriko might know about that old book, let's send her a letter asking.

« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2011, 06:13:38 AM »
>Bid farewell to Rinosuke, then go have another look at the job posting board for contact info on the embroiderer and the tavern with the missing wine.
>Make a guess at the time. Head to Yuugi's if we think it's time to rendevous with her.
>If we still have the time, swing by the messanger service in town. Minoriko might know about that old book, let's send her a letter asking.

>You again bid farewell to Rinnosuke, and this time manage to make it outside his office without knocking anything over. You return to the job board and note the relevant contact addresses, then head outside.
>Yuugi did say afternoonish, and it's pretty much on the cusp of afternoon now. You decide that's good enough and go check in with her.

>The north of the city has a very different character at this time of day. There are still plenty of oni about, to be sure, but they are more industrious than carousing, and the streets also bustle with humans. Mining may be an oni domain, but it and the industries that support it employ a substantial part of the city's population. For the moment, the quarter is free of drunken revels and sudden fistfights and the need for cautious hasty travel; it's almost like another city entirely.
>The lack of smoke and smells of forging coming from Yuugi's draws a slight frown as you approach. Hopefully she didn't mean the other edge of afternoon? You take another look at the sun and then decide to step inside just the same.
>As you had feared, the smithy is unoccupied and its forge cold. It's amazing how much less oppressive the room feels without that thing belching heat into the tiny space. Otherwise, it looks quite similar to how it did yesterday, aside from a slight rearranging of some of its contents. And, more notably, a leather scabbard resting on one of the workbenches. There appears to be a small note next to it.

« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2011, 06:25:57 AM »
>Read the note.
>Keep a sharp ear open for Yuugi, in case she's lurking about somewheres.
>Do we still get the same treasure sense we did yesterday?

« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2011, 06:53:36 AM »
>Read the note.

>You walk over to the workbench and take a look at the note. It is only a few words long, written in a coarse scrawl:
>"Had business to take care of. Left this here for you. Go kick ass. -Yuugi"

>Keep a sharp ear open for Yuugi, in case she's lurking about somewheres.
>Do we still get the same treasure sense we did yesterday?

>There isn't really anywhere to lurk about in this smithy, certain not when you're as towering a figure as Yuugi is. You hear nothing.
>It feels more or less unchanged, as best you can remember.

« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2011, 06:56:34 AM »
>Any indication of a price involved here?
>Pick up the sheathe.
>Take a closer look at the weapons in plain sight around here, see how their quality matches up with what we saw back at the shop.