Author Topic: ZUN's interview from Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red about Touhou Game Design  (Read 6505 times)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
I had some free time this past week at work, so I decided to translate this piece that I had been curious of for a while now. At the end of the book "Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red", which is basically the companion book for Shoot The Bullet, ZUN gives an interview about his gaming past and present, about Touhou in general, and about PoFV.

Here it is.

The translation might not be perfect, although if a part sounds weird, there's a good chance that's what ZUN actually said. I liked reading about his ideas on game design and in making PoFV as well as some of the other games that inspired him.

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
That's pretty awesome, N-Forza. I remember seeing a section of BAiJR being about his thoughts on game design, but it wasn't translated, and I eventually forgot about it... but I'm glad I read it, now. There's seom good stuff in there. :V

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Drake

--So when creating a unique world for a game, it's fundamentally impossible to create something like Touhou with more than one person?

That's my opinion. In games where there are many people working on it, even in a best-case scenario, only a few people are working on the game design. As the game nears completion, several of these people are moved to other roles to help. It's definitely the hardest phase of making a game. For my latest game, "Phantasmagoria of Flower View", while I had to ask a few people for help, I was the only one working on it, and while making it, almost no one else joined in. I think it was best for the game. For "Phantasmagoria of Flower View", the theme I made was "Enjoyable while playing and after playing". Usually, you may think "Playing is fun", and it's exciting to do so, but if playing is all there is, then it's unexpectedly not fun. Music that is enjoyable, an enjoyable world, setting, and characters, and the entire atmosphere. If everything doesn't have that feel-good quality, then it feels bad. That is, if you only investigate how it feels to play the game, you won't see anything else.

yaaaay

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Thanks for translating that. It was a very interesting read.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
Quote from: ZUN
In "Darius Gaiden" too, even though it seems like the most attention was given to what genre it was because it was popular, I think that the world inside it was very good too. The fact is, I was influenced by "Darius Gaiden" when I made the Touhou games.

In "Darius Gaiden", there would be boss battles as long as 2/3rds of the stage, and the bosses would have personalities. Another characteristic is that the game would be organized solely to keep things exciting during the middle. Until then, when talking about games, people would only say things like "Stage 3 was fun, Stage 4 was...", but in "Darius Gaiden", there was Octopus, and Greatthing, and people could call bosses by name when they talked about the game. It meant that these game symbols were becoming something else. This "change" of turning symbols into characters made its way into Touhou too. So, the first point of influence is making the games to heavily favor boss battles, the second is the shooting aspect, with the "Spellcard" danmaku attack system, and the third is the result of making bosses no more than mere game symbols obsolete.

Holy shit. So Darius Gaiden influenced ZUN's focus on boss battles / making the characters more then mere 'game symbols'. If it were possible, I now love that game even more.

Thanks for the translation.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
N-Forza, thank you. I cannot wait to read this. How do you find the time to live, with all the gratis stuff like this that you do?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Well, like I said, I had a lot of free time this week since they were doing and going over midterms, and since they filter out SA at this school, I figured I'd do something constructive, and I didn't feel like trying to translate Cir-Milk yet.

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
ZUN interview about games and alike are always downright inspiring, especially for a one-man developer >w< Translation very much appreciated!

I was kind of hoping for a kind of answer from the "fundamentally impossible to create something like Touhou with more than one person" question. Maybe I missed his point between the lines.

I'm assume he's not drunk during the interview while I read this game design interview... but knowing him, I guess it's unlikely :V

Holy shit. So Darius Gaiden influenced ZUN's focus on boss battles / making the characters more then mere 'game symbols'. If it were possible, I now love that game even more.
* Lloyd Dunamis shares same sentiments x3
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
The more interviews I read about ZUN, the more I love him.  Thanks for the translation.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Hieda no Aya

• I see you remodeled.
Hehehe, I noticed the bits of this going up all week and was watching eagerly. Thanks for your work!

Every time ZUN talks about his creation philosophy, I can't help admiring him more. I don't know if I'd be able to keep my ideals so clear in his position. And it always taps right into things I love about Touhou myself.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
I disagree with his views on game design and the input of a solitary developer, but that's a personal thing, plus, I really can't argue with results. Seriously, he could make himself into a millionare in a week flat if he decided to sell in Europe and America.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
I disagree with his views on game design and the input of a solitary developer, but that's a personal thing, plus, I really can't argue with results. Seriously, he could make himself into a millionare in a week flat if he decided to sell in Europe and America.

But why? Yeah, he would be rich, but the game won't be HIS game anymore, but the company's and the shareholders. I understand him completely.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
But why? Yeah, he would be rich, but the game won't be HIS game anymore, but the company's and the shareholders. I understand him completely.

I should point out that anyone buying his games is already a shareholder. Regardless, he can still be a one-person company, just multinational. Sure, he'd have to cut deals with European and American distribution companies and translators, but he wouldn't be losing anything he doesn't want to.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
As one gains experience, being able to adjust to a game's genre or parts of its system is unmistakably engaging, and I think that games without that spark are missing the point. ... The way I see it, however you decide to establish a world, you need to decide on the the design of the created world. During the establishment of a game, particularly when making characters for the so-called world creation, people make the mistake of saying "This won't have any effect on the game", but even among these people there are those who say "Because this character is in the game, I hate it." This claim is proof enough that even characters can influence a game.

I'd say this more or less hits the nail in the head with regards to the Touhou fandom, among other games. In another thread here, someone said, "If you're playing the game for the character, you're doing it wrong." I'd disagree. The game is more than the mechanics. It's more than the music. If all people were interested in was the mechanics, shmups and bullet hell games would consist solely of white dots on a black background. Because a developer puts time into creating a world and a cast of characters with backstories, personalities and interpersonal relationships, the game is a lot more fun and engaging.

As far as the question of "it's fundamentally impossible to create something like Touhou with more than one person" is concerned, I admit I've never designed a game, but I think there's some truth to this. In other creative endeavors, such as a novel, for example, or a television show, there's a tendency for the plot to meander and branch needlessly, for inconsistencies to arise, when there's more than one writer. Of course, other pairs of eyes reading over what that single writer has done is essential to making a finished product of quality, but the actual writing should be a singular endeavor to maintain focus, and consistency of plot and feel.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Verloren

• Servant for Life~
  • Touhou Sweets~
While I disagree that the gameplay mechanics could be as achieved by multipule people, it's the characters that I agree with him on.

They all have to have the same heart and style behind them. That's what makes it so we, the fans, only find maybe two out of all the characters that we don't like. They all are wonderfully made in very similar ways.

Either way, I now know what tools I should become proficient with~

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
I am right behind you there Tengukami. I often said around forums/chat that music alone isn't making one character complete. It is the danmaku, the appearance, the dialogue, the character background (PMiSS/BAiJR/charinfo) the music that completes one character's appearance in Gensokyo or wherever.

"I love this character" people often use just to like one character. But WHAT do you actually like about the char. More like, what do you know about the char.

Everytime I read the touhou wikia translated stuff ( not the fun facts generally ) I learn more. And that kind of keeps facinating me.