Author Topic: General No-Gimmick Challenges!  (Read 2535 times)

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
General No-Gimmick Challenges!
« on: October 25, 2013, 01:25:06 AM »
Essentially, challenges that forbid you from using the game gimmicks.

General Rules:
  • All ties will be broken by score.
  • Multiple submissions allowed.
  • A submission is void if the game gimmick is activated.
  • The only prize to these challenges is self-satisfaction.
  • Addition of challenges is allowed, but in its own post by user.
  • Have fun!

I'll be ordering these by game (and I won't have PC-98, EoSD, photography, or fighting games, but you can add them in your own posts):

PCB:

No, you cannot let the Cherry Border timeout. Press X immediately.

Survival: Go as far as you can on one continue! Winner is the one who has the highest % Completion. Ties broken by score.
Format: Name, Shot Type, Completion %, Score, [insert link to replay here].

Scoring: Score run! Winner is the one with the highest score.
Format: Name, Shot Type, Score, Graze, # of Point Boxes collected, [replay]

IN:

Survival: Only Unfocused or Focused.
Format: Name, Character, Focused/Unfocused, % Completion, # of Time Orbs, # of Point Boxes, [replay]

MoF:

Survival: Only use the Life Box and Starting lives! No score lives. If you use a score life, your submission is void.
Format: Name, Shot Type, % Completion, Score, Lives Left, [replay]

SA:

Survival: Go as far as you can without filling up the Communication Gauge! Ties broken by score.
Format: Name, Shot Type, % Completion, Score, Graze, [replay]

UFO:

Survival: Go as far as you can without summoning a UFO! Ties broken by score. Only up to 2 Small UFOs can be collected.
Format: Name, Shot Type, % Completion, Score, # of UFOs collected, [replay]

TD:

Survival: Go as far as you can without pressing C! Any intentional Spirit World entering using C is not permitted, although death trances are allowed. Ties broken by score.
Format: Name, Character, % Completion, Score, Approximate % of Spirit Gauge Filled, [replay]

DDC:

Survival: Go as far as you can without picking up Auto-Collect fragments! The number of fragments spawned must be counted. Bomb/end of stage Auto-Collects are the only Auto-Collect fragments you can have.
Format: Name, Shot Type, % Completion, Score, Number of Life Fragments, Number of Bomb Fragments, Number of Times Bombed

I'll edit this post to include the other games when I have the time....
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:45:00 AM by bigyihsuan »
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Re: General No-Gimmick Challenges!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 02:51:52 AM »
Hmm. Interesting concept, but I think you need work on some aspects, for example:
PCB - I know this is based on completion but what if both players 1cc the game? Maybe you should rank by lives and bombs remaining.
IN - I don't know that gathering time orbs is a "gimmick", you should revise this - or simply change to focus OR no focus only.
MoF - I do not understand! :< Do you mean only die 2 or less times? Or not to get an extra life through score?

LepLep

• BIG
  • cat
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:13:47 AM »
L3PiK, ReimuB, 100%, 546,141,140. Replay  (Lunatic difficulty; not sure if you're going to categorize this by difficulty modes so I am going to just leave this here for now.)

Overall a pretty sloppy run, didn't even use the safespots during Youmu's spellcard in Stage 6, my head was up in the clouds~
Had a border end before some boss dialogue, forgot to end it in time... it shouldn't affect survivability though. :3

Also one question~
Are the life pieces from Nitori and Sanae considered 'score lives'?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:59:41 AM by L3PiK »

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 07:08:50 PM »
Also one question~
Are the life pieces from Nitori and Sanae considered 'score lives'?

No, they don't. Life Box lives or the ones given to you at the start aren't score lives. Only the ones you get from score (10 million, 20 million, 40 million, 80 million, and 150 million) are score lives.

Hmm. Interesting concept, but I think you need work on some aspects, for example:
PCB - I know this is based on completion but what if both players 1cc the game? Maybe you should rank by lives and bombs remaining.
IN - I don't know that gathering time orbs is a "gimmick", you should revise this - or simply change to focus OR no focus only.
MoF - I do not understand! :< Do you mean only die 2 or less times? Or not to get an extra life through score?

PCB: Yes, I'll change the rules for that.
IN: I consider the Time Orbs to be a gimmick combined with the Human/Youkai Gauge. Time Orb collection requirements depend on the Gauge.
MoF: Look at the previous quote. You cannot die using a score life, otherwise your submission is void.

Also, new rule: Have the game abbreviation after your entry. It helps.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 08:11:34 PM »
No, they don't. Life Box lives or the ones given to you at the start aren't score lives. Only the ones you get from score (10 million, 20 million, 40 million, 80 million, and 150 million) are score lives.
You only get lives at 20, 40, 80 and 150 million.  If there was a 10 million point life the game would be so much easier.

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »
(UFO/Normal):
Lily, SanaeB, 6, 170976860, no ufo summons, replay

I guess I'll submit this. The plan was not to bomb as well, but having to avoid ufo tokens in stage 3 got me in a sticky situation, which forced me to bomb. I didn't clear, gamed over to Byakuren's last spellcard.

Regarding "score lives": does it mean we can have a maximum of 4 deaths? What do you mean by "use" a life?

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 09:01:02 PM »
You only get lives at 20, 40, 80 and 150 million.  If there was a 10 million point life the game would be so much easier.

Oh, my bad.  :derp:

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 09:20:33 PM »
Regarding "score lives": does it mean we can have a maximum of 4 deaths? What do you mean by "use" a life?

I think he meant you only have 4 extra lives, but something like you can only die twice before Nitori, and three times before Sanae, otherwise you "use" the score lives

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »
I usually don't visit challenge threads yet, but here are some thoughts for this one.

PCB:

No, you cannot let the Cherry Border timeout. Press X immediately.

Instead of a free hit for a limited time you get an instant bomb. Same gimmick, different effect.

IN:

Survival: Only Unfocused or Focused.

Essentially just a solo character run. Having clocked enough hours with them, I can say that the gimmick is very much still there.

MoF:

Survival: Only use the Life Box and Starting lives! No score lives. If you use a score life, your submission is void.

Pretty much a low/no-miss run. Which is what this game's gimmick is all about.

SA:

Survival: Go as far as you can without filling up the Communication Gauge! Ties broken by score.

Low-graze challenge, with no-PoC thrown in.

UFO:

Survival: Go as far as you can without summoning a UFO! Ties broken by score. Only up to 2 Small UFOs can be collected.

You can collect more than 2 tokens without summoning a UFO.

TD:

Survival: Go as far as you can without getting a full Spirit Gauge! Any intentional Spirit World entering is not permitted. Ties broken by score.

You start with enough spirit to enter trance upon death, which is still technically a gimmick usage. So it's a no-miss with additional conditions.

Really, there are few games where excluding the gimmick completely is possible, so the idea as it's worded now may not be the best one. But changing things to just "gimmick avoidance" might be more interesting. Like low-cherry/fewest borders for PCB, lowest faith for MoF, things like that.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 09:47:47 PM »
(PCB/Lunatic) Mino, MarisaA, 100 %, 986,115,230, Replay

Also did it no bombs. 5 deaths in total. 20 captures. Would have hit 1bil if I hadn't of died to Yuyuko's opener.  :fail:

I'll try to put together a No Bomb No UFO Lunatic run for the UFO challenge, since I don't really want to submit runs I've done long ago in the past. But if I fail, I'll settle for just no UFOs.

Also. For Ten Desires. I think that no manual trance would be a better option. It still means that the player can go into trance mode upon death. But given that the game gives you little lives, it's not optimal to suicide for a trance.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:50:46 PM by Minogame »

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 03:38:48 AM »
Also. For Ten Desires. I think that no manual trance would be a better option. It still means that the player can go into trance mode upon death. But given that the game gives you little lives, it's not optimal to suicide for a trance.

Yeah, I'll change it.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »
Lyv, Reimu, C, 241,105,390, 100%, replay (TD, normal)

Did it no-bombs too, for more fun.
Replay indicates "-1.0%" as slowdown, although the game didn't seem odd at any point.

Lyv, ReimuA, C, 445,538,280, 6, replay (MoF, normal)

2-miss run. I'll get that no-miss one day.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:03:03 PM by Reiko »

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 06:58:37 PM »
Chirpy13 - Marisa Solo - Unfocused - C - 105869 Time Orbs - 1496 Point Items - Replay

Easy mode, 1 miss on Keine, a couple safety bombs on Reimu because the yin yangs scare me, failed two last spells.  Could have been 2.5b maybe?  I either did okay or really badly since I'm not sure how this game is ranked.  Oh well.   Yolo 420 graze it smoke Kags every day.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:00:56 PM by ♥♥♥東方Hugger♥♥♥ »

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 01:32:12 AM »
(TD/Lunatic) Mino, Reimu, 100% Completion, 354,398,790, [replay]

Here's a No Bomb No Trance Lunatic entry for you! :3

I died 6 times (which is the max amount of lives you get in LNBNT), so it's not too impressive. But considering I'm severely rusty at this game, I satisfied for now.

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 01:57:43 AM »
(UFO/Normal):
Lily - ReimuA - C - 208,509,480 - no ufo summons - replay

Ok I cleared. First bomb used at Ichirin's last spell. It walled me, I had no choice.
I literally walked into a bullet at stage 4 Nue and lost a life. (two if you count the drop)
Shou was pretty bad, Byakuren was pretty bad.
At least I got revenge.