Author Topic: Neo WUFTD Discussion Thread - Mark 3 (Open! Anyone can join!)  (Read 34022 times)

Kakyoin

• The truth is all that matters.
  • Nothing more, nothing less.
Neo Waking Up From The Dream (Neo WUFTD)

***Roleplay is currently OPEN and anyone can join! Please see this post for more information if interested.***

Neo WUFTD is the second season of Waking Up From The Dream, a Touhou Project forum roleplay. This is the discussion thread for it. Any concerns or questions can be asked here, GMs are watching (and hopefully other participants too)!

Previous thread - DO NOT NECRO PLEASE!

VERY IMPORTANT: What kind of roleplay is this?
This is not a 'Quest' roleplay.
This is not a roleplay that throws a lot of plot at you and expects you to answer a little bit before spoonfeeding you a whole bunch more, then offering another tiny window of response.
This is a roleplay where you by and large get to call all the shots (within reason). The more you put in, the more everyone else can get out of it.
This is a roleplay that prides itself on detail and interaction between participants both in and out of the roleplay.

In this roleplay, characters will be thrown into situations that are not heavily defined with loads of background, and have few guidelines. This is a roleplay best suited for those who want a roleplay experience that lets them use their imaginations and express themselves through creativity, painting a grand, intricate picture of plot, interactivity and character development as they go. If you prefer fast, short-answer roleplays, this is probably not the roleplay for you, but feel free to check out the story thread (see below for link) and see for yourself how long and detailed posts are in general. This roleplay may very well take up more time than others typically do, but we hope that writing for and reading it are worth your time. It is highly encouraged to prioritize character interaction (dialogue) in this roleplay.

As for post length, this is along the lines of the question little kids ask their parents: "How many pieces of broccoli do I have to eat?" The answer is "as much as you think you can." We like to see at least decent quality posts, and if you want to write a lot or a little, it doesn't matter, we just hope you enjoy putting reasonable amounts of time and effort into it. Just because everyone else writes small/huge posts does not mean you should feel like you have to, do it only if you want to. After all, this roleplay is for YOU.

NOTE: If you are interested in joining, please do not hesitate to contact us! Contact information is listed below.

Roleplay GMs
Nemo Ma
Kakyoin Retired

Roleplay Starting Situation (in a nutshell)
Gensokyo has been destroyed, and its inhabitants are now forced into the real world. No longer provided energy from Gensokyo, they must rely on the inhabitants of the real world for mana to fuel their powers and their very lives. However, not everyone accepts them so easily...some desire to figure out what they truly are, or discover the secret behind their very existence...

Roleplay Rules
1. No godmodding. This is a roleplay that relies on character interaction and sharing the spotlight to enjoy.
2. Adult content IS allowed in this roleplay. However, absolutely no adult content is allowed to be posted on MotK. You must host the adult content of your post(s) elsewhere and link to it in your forum posts with it clearly marked as NSFW or 18+ or Adult Content (something that easily indicates to any readers that it is adult content). If you do not follow this rule, you are at risk of being banned from MotK, no exceptions.

How to Join this Roleplay
NOTE: Joining chance is relative to registration status (see this thread topic for registration status).

1. Applying
Regardless of whether or not registration is closed or open, anyone can apply. It is recommended that you first contact the GM before applying, but this is optional. Applying requires posting in THIS thread the following information filled out by you:

Character Name:
Character Age:
Touhou/OC Partner Choices (by priority):
1) [Top priority partner]
2) [Top priority partner]
3) [Lower priority partner]
4) [Lower priority partner]
5) [Lower priority partner]

Consult this document to check for Touhou partner availability to see if a Touhou is taken already or not.

You must have at least 1 partner, and you may have up to 5 partners. You may have original character partners as well, but this will require further GM consulting, and your team may have no more than half original characters as partners, rounded down. Chances are good that you can get every single partner you list, as long as you check for availability ahead of time. Participants strike a balance at 2-3 partners on average, but depending on how much you think you can handle comfortably, it is your choice.

2. Character Profile
If and once your application is approved by the GM, then you may create a Character Profile for your character in this roleplay. See below for more information on how to do that. Character Profiles should also be posted in THIS thread unless stated otherwise.

3. Once your Character Profile is approved, make sure to consult with the GM about when and how to join up in-story with your character, and how to obtain your character's partners.

We have the following expectations of participants:
1. Post once a month at least, 1-2 paragraphs at minimum.
2. Don't keep to yourself all the time in-story, interact with others at least every so often. No person or team is an island.
3. Watch for MotK PMs! This is the primary method of contact between participants and the GM.
4. If you are using other participants' characters extensively in your own posts, and you are writing the parts that have those characters in them, you must at least obtain their approval of the post before publishing it.

Important links for those interested
---  Current Story thread (ongoing; contains ALL posts for the RP.)
---  Original Signup/Discussion Thread
---  Story Summary (for those who want a hopefully brief summary of what has happened in the roleplay so far, story-wise; will be updated as posts are added to the story.)
---  Condensed Timeline (for those who want a cross-check detailed summary of the entire story, essentially what has happened in each post thus far; will be updated as posts are added to the story.)
---  Character Profile information (contains a Character profile template, which is the most up-to-date profile template for creating and describing your OC. Also see attached for the Profile Template. More information on Character Profiles here. Character profiles are to be posted in THIS THREAD until told otherwise.)
---  Teams List (for those who wish to see which Touhou characters are partnered with whom, and to see which Touhou characters are available for choosing)
---  New Signups List (Shows all new signups for Neo WUFTD, in addition to any conflicts in partner choices)
---  Information on expected post length and a brief plot summarization up to escaping the virtual Gensokyo
---  Nemo Ma's Season 2 Description of Terms (Wondering why the RAI "Graveyard" base is called "Graveyard", and more? Check here!)
---  Information about Mana, Mana Links and Group Posting
---  Links to Waking Up From The Dream entries on TVTropes (not required, but they're fun!)
---  Season 1 archives (Waking Up From The Dream posts, not as crucial for Season 2)
---  Information about the first round of new participants joining after Neo WUFTD began:

Important contact information (How to contact GMs)
---  Saniwa Shrine (A chat room for discussing Neo WUFTD; the original meeting place for participants in the first WUFTD)
---  WUFTD IRC channel: Join the channel #wuftd on irc.ppirc.net if interested.

Note to ALL participants: Please check this very thread for announcements and new information about the RP, thank you.
I recommend turning Notify on (upper-right corner of this page, should be a button "Notify") so as to be notified (nifty name, huh?) when there is a new post in this thread, and I encourage all to do the same for other WUFTD-related threads such as the Story Thread. It may send email reminders, so keep that in mind.

Active teams:

Nemo Ma
OC: Amarillo Viridian
Partners: Lily White, Lily Black, Daiyousei, Lunachild, Star Sapphire, Sunny Milk (yes, all the fairies)

Kakyoin
OC: Ken Shojiki
Partners: Mayalissa "Mayli" Ayume (another OC), Patchouli Knowledge, Eirin Yagokoro, Parsee Mizuhashi, Seiga Kaku

Newer participants and their (currently planned) teams:

Yog/Nemo
OC: Ashley Fisher
Partners: Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Flandre Scarlet

GuardianTempest
OC: Neil John Parilla
Partners: Toyosatomimi no Miko, Rikako Asakura

Amra
OC: Mao "Xuezheng" Xue Zhen (Mao = last name, Xue Zhen or Xuezheng = first name)
Partners: Yamame Kurodani, Hina Kagiyama, Minoriko Aki, Byakuren Hijiri

Crow
OC: Danao Madarang
Partners: Suika Ibuki, Suwako Moriya, Letty Whiterock

Orphea
OC: Aiko Shiratori
Partners: Sara, Kaguya Houraisan, Mugetsu

Natten
OC: Narr?n Alda Sam
Partners: Nazrin, Shou Toramaru

YJ
OC: Azrul Kyoki
Partners: Mima

Sonae
OC: Nikolas "Niko" Reinhart
Partners: Koishi Komeiji, Yuuka Kazami

Grimarg/Duke
OC: Andreas "Andy" Jaeger
Partners: Keine Kamishirasawa

IO
OC: Zachary "Zach" Hayami
Partners: Rin Kaenbyou, Aya Shameimaru, Tenshi Hinanawi, Fujiwara no Mokou

Forte
OC: Forte Blackadder
Partners: Sakuya Izayoi

Ran-Rii
OC: Owen Sterne
Partners: Remilia Scarlet

Raikaria
OC: David Farr
Partners: Elis, Elly, Kurumi
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:09:33 AM by Kakyoin »

Former GM of the Neo Waking Up From The Dream Forum RP.

Inside this cold heart is a dream, that's locked in a box that I keep buried a hundred miles deep, deep in my soul in a place that's surrounded by aeons of silence...

Kakyoin

Another drop.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 02:06:48 AM »
I will start this thread off by stating that KuribohLv9 has dropped, so Mamizou Futatsuiwa is now available again.

I'm also considering grabbing Ran Yakumo instead of someone else on my final team...hmm...

Inside this cold heart is a dream, that's locked in a box that I keep buried a hundred miles deep, deep in my soul in a place that's surrounded by aeons of silence...

Nemo★Ma

• Have Faith.
  • And keep it.
    • NMforce
Re: Neo WUFTD Discussion Thread - Mark 3 (Registration: Closed)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »
After some talking with some players, I want to clarify something.
For people that are not posting because they don't know what will happen in the story, don't do that.
For example: as of now, most of the new players are gathering at the door of Tourist Helpers, the timestamp is 10 p.m. Now, most people don't, and shouldn't know what's going on. since The explanation will happen at the timestamp around 1030pm. But that don't mean people come to Ken or me personally and ask what the explanation would be so they can write their part.

just post whatever you want.
This is an RP, Role Play - You just do it like what you'll do in real life - Will you know what will happen in the next few hours/days in your real life? Of course not (well, at least not everything).
So next time if you have doubts, just post. I will change things around so there will be no logic/story holes. They are not your concern, go with the flow.

and Yes, we do have plans, (and it leads all the way to Episode VIII), but as long as you don't kill off your character or any Touhous (you shouldn't anyway), or not asspulling something to defeat the boss characters (which I trust none of us will do), nothing big will get in or conflict with our plan. As for the smaller stuff, like who would be where at what time doing what, are always flexible. (flexible before they got put in posts, anyways.)

tl;dr
Not posting because you don't know what's happening is NOT a valid reason. I encourage you to discover new split routes and story elements yourself.

Break anything that stands between you and them!

Kakyoin

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:49:12 AM »
just post whatever you want.
This is an RP, Role Play - You just do it like what you'll do in real life - Will you know what will happen in the next few hours/days in your real life? Of course not (well, at least not everything).
So next time if you have doubts, just post. I will change things around so there will be no logic/story holes. They are not your concern, go with the flow.

tl;dr
Not posting because you don't know what's happening is NOT a valid reason. I encourage you to discover new split routes and story elements yourself.

Well said.

I recently had to remove a participant from this roleplay. The issues mostly stemmed from a lack of posting due to not knowing what to do/not having things clarified, and not attempting to help the roleplay along. Please do not be afraid to ask for clarification or help if you need it, but also please mind that Nemo Ma and I are both busy with our own agendas. Use your creativity, team up with other participants, and open up some new possibilities! This more open-ended roleplay is meant for that kind of thing; the more effort each participant puts into making this exciting, the more everyone gets out of it. Be creative! Everyone in this roleplay has the chance to write amazing posts and get involved. This we prioritize highly.

Speaking of that, there was a concern that specific characters/teams (mine being one of them) are hogging most of the spotlight. The reason for this is because there was so little activity or creativity that a few participants had to spice it up themselves and take it upon their own hands to cause something exciting to happen. By no means are the more focused characters/teams more important or receiving special treatment, they are just more integrated into the story due to a need to keep the roleplay exciting and fresh. This also brings up the same point: the more effort each participant puts into making this exciting, the more everyone gets out of it. YOU make the roleplay what it is, the GMs can only do so much to set the stage. I have no doubt that everyone in here is capable of keeping this ball rolling, making the roleplay one to remember for a while. Keep it up!

Now, all that said...

I am about to advance the plot up to about 10:30pm on Day 3 with my next post, which will open up an opportunity for everyone waiting there to post and soon acquire their Touhou partners!

Notes
Jana and Trance are no longer participating, but their teams will be kept whole (except for Patchouli Knowledge, whom I have special plans for...)

Kakyoin

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Jana, Trance and Vant have quit, which means the following partners are now available:

Koakuma
Meira
VIVIT
Kanako Yasaka
Hong Meiling
Komachi Onozuka

Patchouli Knowledge has been taken by me, so she's off limits.  ;)

After Nemo Ma posts again, I will post and the plot will advance. No more waiting, the time is finally upon us!

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 02:02:32 AM »
Application here ~

Your character Name: Forte Blackadder
Character Age: 22
Touhou Choices (by priority):
1) Izayoi Sakuya

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 06:29:38 AM »
My profile

Name: Forte Blackadder

Visual Description
   Height: 180 cm
   Hair color/style: Black
   Eye color: Black
   Clothing: Suit/classic high class
   Accessories: Glasses
   Weight: 70 kg

Personality
   General: Open-minded, lazy, adventurous (if the travel isn't much of a hassle), perverted, self-centered, air-headed
   Likes: beautiful girls, long sleeves, all kind of food, sleeping, music, mysterious things, comedy
   Dislikes: bad food

History/Background: An idle high class guy, his parents are big bosses of an unknown organisation that grant him an allowance of 50,000 dollars a month. He is extremely enduring, and fast to recover from all kind of wound. However, his strength is that of an avarage person only. Since birth he was provided the best education available, yet due to his laziness and "strange mind", he didn't grow to an ideal inteligent gentleman. People describes him as "cunning and funny", but never "a guy you would like an advice from". At the age of 18, he started to be attracted to the opposite gender, however though he adored and flirted lots of ladies, he never went farther than a kiss on the cheek. Also, the thought of marriage frightens him.
He spends his life leisurely at his luxurious room (life-time rented) in a 5 stars hotel, yet to know about the problematic comers from Gensokyo...

Fighting Style: Basic Muay Thai, but prefer to run when the other party is angry (because of him), looking dangerous or simply unbeatable.

Goals/Objectives/Ambitions: A happy peaceful life.

Fun Facts:
He loves the Moon and can cast everything aside to be able to look at a beautiful Moon all night.
He can drink tons of beer like a boss but will get intoxicated if take a drop of wine (any kind).
He can flirt with many ladies at once, but when it comes to "serious love" he gets all shy and confused.

Additional Information/Background/History (mostly empty now, added to later)

Relationships (mostly empty now, added to later)

Kakyoin

Plot Advancement! Posting Opportunities NOW!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 05:56:58 AM »
Shamelessly copypasted from my most recent post. HAI GAIZ THERE'S STUFF TO DO NAO

It's finally happened!

Everyone standing outside Tourist Helpers has been shown the near-death of Patchouli Knowledge (who Ken now has a pact with) and the blood pact has been revealed as a method for creating a pact with a partner. By the way, Amra's character and Mabel were the ones that ran up to feel Patchouli, IO's character had the camera, and Crow, Marokuu, Grimarg, YJ and Aiko's characters asked questions of Amarillo, for reference.

Ken's team, Amarillo's team and everyone formerly waiting outside Tourist Helpers, including Mabel, will now make haste for the RAI Graveyard base. There are now two posting opportunities (3 windows for posts, time-wise) for those who were waiting outside Tourist Helpers:

1. Window 1 - Something miraculous unfolded before the eyes of many: A woman was saved through something supernatural, and Xuezheng and Mabel had the chance to actually make sure it was real. While on the way to the underground tunnel, feel free to speak to anyone about what was just witnessed and ask questions, because surely this was not just a bunch of magic tricks...

2. Window 2 & 3 - Since the tunnel access point is a short distance from the back of Tourist Helpers, reaching it is a cinch. However, to get to the RAI Graveyard base, everyone will take an underground passageway (see the fourth timestamp about the Underground Path, and feel free to ask GMs about the hidden tunnel if requiring clarification). Each team will ride MINECART, an automated large cart system that responds to mana. Each cart can only fit up to 6-7 people, which means that parts of Ken's and Amarillo's teams will need to be split up amongst everyone else.

Clarification: The carts will be far enough apart to not allow talking between them due to their method of summoning (mana-based), meaning you may only talk with those in your cart during the ride.

For the sake of speeding things up, I have planned out who will be in each cart (in order of cart-taking):

Cart 1:
Amarillo
Lily White
Mayli Ayume
Ashley Fisher (Yog/Nemo)
Andreas "Andy" Jaeger (Grimarg/Duke)
Narr?n Alda Sam (Natten)

Cart 2:
Daiyousei
Star Sapphire
Yuyuko Saigyouji
Azrul Kyoki (YJ)
Mao "Xuezheng" Xue Zhen (Amra)
Mabel
Charles "Chuck" Harker (Reisen-tanith)

Cart 3:
Sunny Milk
Fujiwara no Mokou
Kaguya Houraisan
Aiko Shiratori (Orphea)
Kristian Johansson (Marokuu)
Zachary "Zach" Hayami (IO)

Cart 4:
Luna Child
Ken Shojiki
Patchouli Knowledge
Hatate Himekaidou [unconscious]
Danao Madarang (Crow)
Neil John Parilla (GuardianTempest)

If there are issues with these pairings, or if you desire to be placed on a different cart for the sake of conversation, please let either Nemo Ma or myself know.

There is opportunity for conversation here. For the sake of clarity, there are two windows for posting during the MINECART ride (~30 minutes from the back of Tourist Helpers to the Saniwa Shrine, then extra to extend to the RAI Graveyard base). The first window is the first 15 minutes, the second window is the remaining 15 minutes. This will allow others in the same cart to respond or pick up where the first poster left off. You may use any of Amarillo's and Ken's characters (and if in Cart 3, also Mabel) for the sake of conversation. PLEASE indicate in your post(s) which window (first or second half) you are posting in when posting for the MINECART ride!

Feel free to team up with others to write group posts as well, or plan out the two halves with others. You may post as many times as you wish (more or less than 3 is fine). Happy posting!

Edit: See this post for more clarification about these three windows of posting opportunity.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:29:10 PM by Kakyoin »

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 07:22:57 AM »
Wait, so by Window 1, have we all begun to run?

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

Kakyoin

Clarification for posting opportunities
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 10:17:04 PM »
Wait, so by Window 1, have we all begun to run?

Let me explain all of this in greater detail.

Firstly: for all sakes and purposes, when I refer to a "window" I am referring to a time period in which a post may be made chronologically. Each window is listed in chronological order. A post during these windows does not need to cover an entire window time-wise, and if the post is lengthy (you be the judge) it should not span multiple windows IF you wish to give others a chance to pick up where you left off during a particular window. You may include any characters present (see below for availability) in these posts, but please run your posts by any participants that control those characters to make sure they are okay with how you portrayed them, before publishing your posts.

Window 1: Those who were involved in and witnessed Patchouli's near-death scene and pact are now evacuating Tourist Helpers to avoid being caught by RAI soldiers. To do this, they will be walking from the rear entrance of Tourist Helpers to the nearby underground tunnel entrance behind Tourist Helpers. The entrance is hidden and leads below ground, the first person who posts up to this location gets to define how it is hidden and what opens the underground entrance. Save entry into the tunnel for the next window, if possible. This is a shorter window due to close proximity to the destination, but there is certainly time for interaction.

Window 1 starts at the following location and (approximate) time: 10:28 PM - Day 3 - Kamisuiwa, Japan - Tourist Helpers (Outside Rear Entrance)
Window 1 ends at the following location and (approximate) time: 10:35 PM - Day 3 - Kamisuiwa, Japan - Underground Tunnel Entrance

Window 2: The short time after arriving at/in the secret underground tunnel entrance (~2 minutes), and the first half (~15 minutes) of the magical cart transportation system ride. Carts run along tracks/rails similar to that of a light rail and produce no exhaust and very little noise. To start up a cart, someone with mana must demonstrate magical ability in front of it. After one cart sets off, another cart may be summoned and activated using the same techniques. The carts will be far enough away such that only ranged communication (phones) is possible, talking verbally out loud will not reach adjacent carts. There is enough lighting to see, and the lighting only turns on when a cart is running.

Window 2 starts at the following location and (approximate) time: 10:35 PM - Day 3 - Kamisuiwa, Japan - Underground Tunnel Entrance
Window 2 ends at the following location and (approximate) time: 10:52 PM - Day 3 - Kamisuiwa, Japan - Underground Tunnel

Window 3: The second half (~15 minutes) of the magical cart transportation system ride. Same description from Window 2 applies here. The ride was split into two windows to allow for more structured interaction between participants. Upon arriving at the destination, each cart's inhabitants will exit the cart and climb up the stairs to reach the hidden entrance in the Saniwa Shrine, which is located on the other side of Kamisuiwa compared to Tourist Helpers.

Window 3 starts at the following location and (approximate) time: 10:52 PM - Day 3 - Kamisuiwa, Japan - Underground Tunnel
Window 3 ends at the following location and (approximate) time: 11:07 PM - Day 3 - Kamisuiwa, Japan - Saniwa Shrine (Underground Tunnel Entrance)

The RAI Graveyard base, which is located not far outside the Kamisuiwa city limits, is their next goal. The underground tunnel to go from Saniwa Shrine to the RAI Graveyard base is currently not operational, so they will proceed on foot (it's not too far away from the Saniwa Shrine).

Each window has the following people available for interaction:

Window 1:
-Kakyoin's Team (Ken Shojiki, Mayli Ayume, Fujiwara no Mokou, Kaguya Houraisan, Yuyuko Saigyouji, Patchouli Knowledge, unconscious!Hatate Himekaidou)
-Nemo Ma's team (Amarillo Viridian, Lily White, unconsciousandcurrentlyinvisible!Lily Black, Daiyousei, Sunny Milk, Luna Child, Star Sapphire)
-Mabel (mysterious woman Xuezheng found outside near Tourist Helpers before the Patchouli pact incident; she appears partially-clothed for being outside so late but does not show signs of suspicious activity)
-Ashley Fisher (Yog/Nemo), Andreas "Andy" Jaeger (Duke/Grimarg), Narr?n Alda Sam (Natten), Azrul Kyoki (YJ), Mao "Xuezheng" Xue Zhen (Amra), Charles "Chuck" Harker (Reisen-tanith), Aiko Shiratori (Orphea), Kristian Johansson (Marokuu), Zachary "Zach" Hayami (IO), Danao Madarang (Crow), Neil John Parilla (GuardianTempest)

Window 2:
See this post for cart arrangements. Your OC can interact with anyone in the cart he or she is in.

Window 3:
See this post for cart arrangements. Your OC can interact with anyone in the cart he or she is in.

Note that there are more windows of opportunity for posting beyond these three, but to prevent an overload I have not included details for more quite yet. Let's get these taken care of, then we'll move on! :D

Any additional questions or concerns, please voice them in this thread. Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:43:56 PM by Kakyoin »

Kakyoin

Several Approvals
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 11:09:28 PM »
My profile
Your application and character profile are approved by Nemo Ma and myself. Here are instructions for your first post, which takes place in the beginning of the "first window" (see this post for more details):

Forte will be wandering at night near the rear entrance of Tourist Helpers, hoping to see something exciting happen before retiring to his hotel. He will see Yuyuko, who is walking a bit ahead of the larger group behind her, and be drawn to her. However, when he is seen, Amarillo will question who he is. He will not want to get heavily involved with such a large group and will try to get away, but Mokou will prevent him from running off. Since they cannot risk having their group snitched on or revealed by anyone, they will take Forte with them.

The rest of your post and future posts will follow the general guidelines given by GMs (see the previous link for more immediate details, more to come later). Forte will ride in either cart 1, 3 or 4, your choice. Please let me know which one you would like him to ride in so I can update the listings, thanks in advance.

Can I has Letty plox
Okay you didn't actually ask that here, but I'm lazy. Yes, you may have Letty. I have added it to your official signup and teams entry. It will be up to you to figure out how to encounter and make a pact with Letty inside the virtual world (which is coming up soon after these three posting windows).

Kakyoin

Mana Link Sharing - A Provider/Partner Interaction Idea
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »
I've been throwing an idea for character interaction around for some time. There will be plenty of opportunities to have mana providers interact with their mana partners throughout the story. However, I want to introduce another more unique, personal opportunity for mana providers to grow closer to their partners. It has to be something that participants will be rewarded for doing but not punished for not doing. I'd love feedback on this idea, if anyone has any (including Nemo Ma).

What is my idea? Why, something similar to Diving, of course. I shall dub it "Mana Link Sharing" or MLS for now. I believe there was a similar mechanic in Season 1 (WUFTD), and now I want to bring something similar to it to Season 2 (Neo WUFTD).

What is Diving?
First a bit of background. As indicated by the link above, Diving is unique to the Ar tonelico game series. In this game series, there are human protagonists and his allies called Vanguards, and not-entirely-human females called Reyvateils. Reyvateils aid the Vanguards through the use of Song Magic (think of them as your typical Black Mage or Squishy Wizard in RPGs that sits in the back of the party, charges up and uses powerful spells) during battles. In return, Reyvateils are guarded by these (generally) physically tougher Vanguards during combat to help preserve the Reyvateils' concentration and improve battle situations. Defending a Reyvateil is extremely high priority for Vanguards during battle for more than just victory reasons.

Now with some background, onto Dives. Diving is the process in which a Vanguard enters the mind of a Reyvateil using special Dive machines and technology, usually with the intention of helping her overcome her troubles and negative feelings. Inside of every Reyvateil (barring a few exceptions) is a world with multiple levels called a Cosmosphere. Each level of her Cosmosphere has a special environment with specific themes that is influenced by and reflects her feelings, as well as past and recent real-life experiences. Two examples follow.

1. The innocent, happy-go-lucky Reyvateil Saki in Ar tonelico Qoga: her Level 1 Cosmosphere (Slightly NSFW, contains stripping/lingerie scenes) is lush and colorful, then becomes a magical picture book in Level 2 with a tree house among other more childish, gentle locations.
2. The self-deprecating, troubled Reyvateil Finnel in Ar tonelico Qoga: In a sharp contrast to Saki, her Level 1 Cosmosphere contains bloody thumbtacks, a cage, chains and shackles, and her dark world is overseen by a giant scary eye. Her Level 2 Cosmosphere improves, but she is still feeling imprisoned and unable to make her world truly be her own.

There is another type of Cosmosphere traversal: A story. In this mode, instead of a situation similar to those two examples described right above this (the "problem solving" Dives), a story is told and everyone will play different parts in the story. An example follows.

1. The Reyvateil Shurelia in Ar tonelico Melody of Elemia: Her Cosmosphere Levels are parts of a story that unfold, with each character (including Shurelia herself) playing specific roles in it as it unfolds. Here is her Cosmosphere Level 1.

Each Level of a Cosmosphere may contain completely different, similar or in-between settings, characters and personalities compared to previous Levels. Generally speaking, each Level, which typically revolves around one or more major issues on the Reyvateil's mind, is "complete" when the Vanguard Diving in succeeds in aiding her enough for her to get over or move on from the issue(s) at hand, thus causing a Paradigm Shift which unlocks the next Level. Once a Paradigm Shift happens, the Reyvateil will feel more validated, justified and overall more relieved in reality and is ready to show the Vanguard more of what she hides in future Levels. In the case of the "story" type Dive, the Dive is "complete" when enough plot is covered, and no Paradigm Shift occurs, but the next Level will be unlocked.

What does it all mean? It means that if a Reyvateil trusts her Vanguard partner enough and allows him to Dive into her often enough, she becomes stronger, acquiring more powerful Song Magic. However, Reyvateils that allow this will eventually show 100% of their true thoughts to the Vanguard; she will be able to hide nothing from the Vanguard. Diving is risky, but the rewards usually outweigh the risks. It is a good way to strengthen and deepen the bond between Vanguard and Reyvateil.

Okay, I read everything so far and that's cool, but how is Diving relevant to Mana Link Sharing?
Obviously Touhous are not Reyvateils, and current and soon-to-be mana providers (except for maybe Ken and Amarillo at this point) are not powerful enough to serve as Vanguards. Additionally, some Touhous such as Yuuka or Eirin are more than capable of defending themselves and even others (even with mana link limits), and do not necessarily require extreme guarding or attentive care to maintain stability. Furthermore, there cannot be assumed to be any machinery around to allow for Diving or something similar. Thus, those particular trends from Ar tonelico do not carry over.

However, I think some trends are still very obvious if carried over to Neo WUFTD. Circumstance-wise, mana providers are similar to Vanguards, and mana partners are similar to Reyvateils. Touhous cannot be Dived into without pulling strange machines out of nowhere (which I will not allow), but they share a bond between themselves and their mana provider. They are also able to occasionally feel the strength, presence and feelings of not only their mana provider, but also other mana partners attached to said provider.

That's nice, but why do you think we need it?
Why do I want MLS? Two main reasons, and they both pertain to participant delight and comfort:
1. Because it gives more power to every single participant. It will not be required and not be punishing to participants that ignore it, but rewarding in some way for those who do go forward with it. It is both satisfying and exciting to do such a thing. It's interesting as long as you make it interesting!
2. It lets people have much more freedom in how they treat and approach their partners. Sure, there are plenty of opportunities as the story unfolds for interaction and reaction to events that unfold, but MLS allows each participant to have an additional option, one that lets them control how they become more familiar and comfortable with his or her partner(s).

However, it isn't without its drawbacks:
1. We cannot let those who participate in MLS (or those who do it more often than other participants) have a superior edge in the roleplay compared to those who don't.
2. How to reasonably "reward" those who do it? It's hard to think of a way to do so right now where we currently are in-story, as a lot of things haven't unfolded.

All right. So what's your plan on how it is done in Neo WUFTD?
I envision the system working similar to what follows:

-Each participant will have "downtime" opportunities (e.g., when sleep time normally happens) periodically as the roleplay as it unfolds. Whether or not these opportunities will be specifically granted by GMs or are up to the player, or a mix of those two options, is pending.
-During a moment of downtime, such as a peaceful moment of rest, a dream, or a moment of recovery from something that happened in the story, partners will begin to share memories. When in this Shared Memory state, they will become involved in a "problem solving" or "story" type of situation (how crazy/scary/funny/etc. it gets is up to the participant writing the scene), or anything else or in-between.
-The entire situation, the environment, how the situation plays out and the outcome of said situation is completely up to the participant writing the scene. This means there are absolutely NO limits as to what the content can be (however, if you employ 18+ or any content that is otherwise non-worksafe, you are required to host that on a different site and link to it from MotK, and you MUST mark it as 18+ or NSFW). The scene may contain other characters, even those that are not present in the team the partners are on and those that are not even in reality at the time. Lots of symbolism may be involved. Be creative!
    --The situations are not real but instead occur in the minds of those involved. However, feelings and thoughts may carry over to the real world (no physical objects may be brought out of Shared Memory moments), as well as remembrance of these situations, in the minds of those involved.
-After the situation ends, the two will drift back into consciousness. Their state upon waking up is up to the participant writing the situation out. All of those who were involved in the Shared Memory situation may or may not remember what happened in the situation, this is up to the player.
    --Only those who are on the same "team" as the two who triggered the situation are eligible for remembering it; all other characters involved will not experience it at all, as they are just personas in the partner's mind that act, look and think however the character who started the Shared Memory moment sees them as.
-Depending on outcomes, the mana provider may grow closer to his or her partners, most usually the one(s) directly involved. To this extent, each participant will edit their Character Profile page (remember that thing you wrote? There were some parts towards the end we were saving for later, such as Relationships, which is where this would go!) and keep track of how close their mana provider OC is to each of his or her partners. For the sake of simplicity, each moment of closeness awarded to partners shall be a unit of 1 (example: Ken and Mayli currently have 0 score, but he has a Shared Memory moment with her and they got to know each other better, so Mayli will have a score of 0->1 afterwards on Ken's profile).
-Expanded Shared Memory moments (two or more pairs of partners on different "teams" have a Shared Memory moment): Undecided at the moment, not sure if I want this to be possible. My current idea is to have that only viable for those who have closer team relationships and have both attained a certain score with at least one partner.

Right now, none of this is final. But, I would love some feedback on it if anyone has any. :)

Interesting. How else and how often will it affect those who do it?
In other words, how will players be rewarded for doing this in-story? Aside from self-satisfaction and the freedom to do whatever you want, basically...I don't know. Honestly, I have no idea how to balance that right now. I'll have to think on it. But, I would care for some suggestions if anyone has any. :D

Thus concludes my idea for the time being.

Kakyoin

Several Drops and Team Changes
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 05:54:40 AM »
The following participants have dropped:

Sonae - dishonorably removed for continuous problematic behavior and difficulty as a participant.
Reisen-tanith - removed for inactivity.
Erebus - removal approved by Erebus himself.

All of their teams will be retconned, and their partners will be made available for others. This means the following become available:

Yuuka Kazami
Koishi Komeiji
Mystia Lorelei
Reisen Udongein Inaba (possibly, more details below)
Luize
Shinki
Yumeko
Yuki
Mai

In other news, IdiotsOpposite will be acquiring Fujiwara no Mokou from my team, and I will acquire both Yuyuko Saigyouji (in place of Youmu Konpaku) and then Reisen Udongein Inaba and/or Nitori Kawashiro (depending on what Nemo Ma says/needs).

That said, I hope to have another post out soon so we can continue this! :D

Nemo★Ma

• Have Faith.
  • And keep it.
    • NMforce
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »
> Sonae - dishonorably removed for continuous problematic behavior and difficulty as a participant.

Note as of now I don't accept this as a valid reason, especially seeing what have happened during this period.

For the time being, I'll manage Sonae's team as we are putting her status on hold.

Kakyoin

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
> Sonae - dishonorably removed for continuous problematic behavior and difficulty as a participant.

Note as of now I don't accept this as a valid reason, especially seeing what have happened during this period.

For the time being, I'll manage Sonae's team as we are putting her status on hold.

After some GM deliberation today, Sonae may remain in the roleplay. However, only on the condition that she does not talk to me at all. Nemo Ma has agreed to manage Sonae's presence in the roleplay entirely. If this condition holds, then she may continue to participate with no problems. I will not tolerate any exceptions.

Kakyoin

An explanation and an apology.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 11:53:34 PM »
It has been brought to my attention that several MotK staff members were concerned about my "sudden" decision to remove Sonae from the Neo WUFTD roleplay. I feel that this needs some explanation.

Here is what this is all about:
Sonae - dishonorably removed for continuous problematic behavior and difficulty as a participant.
Now then. Firstly, let me say that I am sorry. I am apologizing for my blatantly biased, non-GM behavior earlier when I stated that Sonae was removed from the roleplay. The reasons for me doing so were not exclusively personal, but they were heavily so, and none of the problematic material was shown in the roleplay threads (this is why it seemed sudden). I will not go into details, but the reasons were very extreme and personal, and the situations between her and I were emotionally out of control. As much as I want to go into detail about the months of problems, I don't believe explaining my reasons for losing my cool will bring anything good to both Sonae and myself. I have spoken to Nemo Ma about this on multiple occasions; as the other GM, she has accepted my apology, and she understands how and why this happened as well as believing it to not be entirely unreasonable for me to react as I did given what happened.

That said, until I have softened up and forgotten about what has happened between us, I will not be interacting with Sonae through any mediums for any reasons, not even for roleplay matters (Nemo Ma has agreed to take full responsibility for managing Sonae in the roleplay for now). I have decided to place this fence between us for my own good and hers. If for some reason Nemo Ma leaves the roleplay or decides to "unmanage" Sonae before I am over what happened between us, either I will request that she leave the roleplay, or I will step down and quit the roleplay entirely (yes, it means that much to me).

That said, Sonae is still a participant in the roleplay, and her team is still whole and has not been retconned. I will make record and post changes to indicate this when I find time to.

I feel that this situation needed a bit more light shed on it, and I apologize for my very inappropriate behavior. I will see to it that something like this doesn't happen again, if I have anything to say about it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:19:13 AM by Kakyoin »

Nemo★Ma

• Have Faith.
  • And keep it.
    • NMforce
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »
In case people don't receive it yet:
I send a PM regarding the September process (not like there are that much, Kiai you guys!! Osu! More Progress! RAWR!! Nipah~☆)

The future plans are "spoiled" by Sizuru upon GA-09's approval, you should know what to do.

and no, no field trips for Sizuru and Lucia or GA-09 to Kamisuiwa, they will be always Side Canon Immigrant. Since they all have seriously broken abilities for this setting.

Kakyoin

Oh boy, an update!
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 04:57:01 AM »
Okay, it's clear that there's a lull in the roleplay. We have analyzed this and believe the following to be likely causes:

1. School just started for a lot of people, and they're now suddenly busy.
2. Personal reasons for participants getting demotivated, bored or otherwise uninspired to participate. Getting sick, etc. Perfectly reasonable, really.
3. My idea to have people interact on the MINECART carts sucked. Okay, maybe it didn't suck but it slowed things down too much.

That said, we are going to advance the plot once more. This time we will be skipping entirely over the MINECART ride from Tourist Helpers to the Saniwa Shrine, as well as the trip on foot from the Saniwa Shrine to the RAI Graveyard base. The next post will come from me, and it will take place just as Amarillo's and Ken's teams reach the Virtualization lab room in the RAI Graveyard base with the new recruits.

This means imminent exploration of the virtual Gensokyo world, which means YAY PARTNERS! Soon?.

Now I should probably get to work writing that post, huh...

Nemo★Ma

• Have Faith.
  • And keep it.
    • NMforce
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 05:36:20 AM »
Something a little extra:
Even though we decided to advance the plot, (read: we'll assume all of the OCs really are dull and get nothing to say) and fast forward to our next plot point, you can still go back on timestamp to write your interactions on the MINECART if suddenly, you know, like, you got some inspiration. Just remember to timestamp them correctly.
though at this rate most of the players really don't get anything to say on MINECART, or are(aren't) they?

Kakyoin

Now OPEN for anyone to join!
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 07:23:44 AM »
We have opened this roleplay for anyone who wants to jump into the story and join!

You may be wondering to yourself: "Kakyoin, why? Don't you have enough players already/Neo WUFTD is already a work in progress/how come it isn't dead yet?" :V

All right, let me get straight to the point and address questions for those interested in joining, or why this is happening at all in the first place.

Why are we looking for new roleplayers?
Simply put, it's a combination of factors. After some recent concern and GM deliberation, Nemo Ma and I decided to open it up for anyone else who wants to join. Why? Reasons follow:

1. Another chance to let those interested know what they're in for when they sign up.
The first time we reopened the roleplay for people to sign up, we didn't do a good enough job letting people know what it is they're getting themselves into. This is not a Quest roleplay. It is not a roleplay where the GMs do a lot of heavy plot lifting and context-providing and leave a few moments for participants to act out their roles before moving on. This is a roleplay where participants have a lot of freedom to control what happens in between crucial plot points. Most of the time, we will tell you situations and let you know that your character(s) must go from point A to point B, and...that's it. This sort of roleplay is worth as much to you and everyone else involved, as the time you want to put into it. If you prefer more detailed roleplaying with an emphasis on freedom in writing, flexing your creativity and taking control of character interaction and development, this is a roleplay for you. It might take more time/effort, but we hope that the experience is worth it.

We did not make the previous points clear the first time we reopened the roleplay. This time we are. We want those interested to know what they're potentially going to get themselves into. We're serious about this: this roleplay has a timeline that summarizes each post based on timestamps and locations, a constantly updated list of teams and signups, and we send monthly newsletter-style PMs here on MotK to keep you up-to-date. We want this to be thrilling and exciting, but we can only do it if everyone is eager to paint beautiful pictures with their posts. We don't want this to be an assignment, we want it to be a fun but detailed and organized experience. But we also want to try to make it a good match for those interested in it.

2. There won't be another good time for players to jump in for a while.
Currently, all new Season 2 participants are on the verge of having their OCs acquire their Touhou partners in a virtual world that mimics Gensokyo (the real Gensokyo has been destroyed). There won't be another such opportunity in-story for those joining the protagonists' cause in a considerable amount of time! This is the best chance for those interested to jump in and immediately join the cause with their OCs, picking up Touhou partners right away and learning what it all means. This means that if you are interested in joining this roleplay, you don't have to know much about what's already happened!

3. Current player roster is falling off/stagnating.
No, we are NOT doing this because Neo WUFTD is a failure or is struggling because it's a bad roleplay (and yes, I've heard from some critics, but no names will be given). The roleplay is very well-maintained and the GMs are very responsive to questions and adaptive to concerns or problems. And no, we are NOT saying that any of the current participants are performing poorly. We reopened this roleplay for others to join once before, but as indicated by reason 1 above, we likely weren't clear on what they were getting themselves into, so they could have been poorly matched up among other things. So what went wrong?

The biggest issue is that we've had quite a few players drop. Why is that? All of the Season 1 players (who roleplayed this same concept 2-3 years ago) not named Nemo Ma have retired, and this is because the roleplay changed compared to what it was before, and so they couldn't have fun with the old gang like they did back in the day. As for the others who have joined in Season 2, perhaps we just had a stroke of bad luck and they all got busy with school projects and other more important things, but we have had a big handful of newer participants quit as well.

The next biggest issue is a seeming lack of current participant spirit. As it stands now we are worried about sticking with the current roster (what's left of it) until the next opportunity for others to join the roleplay, which isn't for quite some time in-story. This does not exclude GMs either: if we were slacking off the situation would be completely our fault. But Nemo Ma and Kakyoin (myself) have tried to be particularly active in making sure things stay fresh and participants are enjoying the roleplay, as well as participating often themselves. We just can't do it all ourselves (Ken and Nemo's Bizarre Adventure, anyone?), or rather, we COULD, but that wouldn't be fun for anyone but the two of us.

All right, now that the explanation is out of the way...

What's Neo WUFTD all about? (and why it's awesome!)
Now I know what's on EVERYBODY'S mind right now...

"Wat's a Neo WUFTD, Kakyoin?"  :V

Well, sir or ma'am, simply put it's a roleplay that revolves around Gensokyo having been destroyed in the past by a nasty organization led by Dr. Robotnik called RAI, and all of Gensokyo's inhabitants spilling out into the real world. Unfortunately, it's like throwing a human into space except less extreme: those who lived in Gensokyo used to receive energy from the world itself to fuel their powers and lives, but without it they die off very quickly. To prevent these untimely deaths, they have been forced to rely on mana, which is achieved in one of two ways: get captured by RAI and be painfully experimented on for reasons only they know, or live more freely with humans that somehow have the ability to produce mana that fuels their lives. Currently quite a few of the Touhou characters have been living in a virtual Gensokyo for years (yes, it's like The Matrix), wasting away their lives for RAI's sake (hint: these are the ones YOU get to save!). However, RAI is actively trying to hunt down and capture those who have managed to escape back to reality.

"But Kakyoin, where does my character come in?"  :V

You'll find out...Soon?. We have plans, don't worry.

Now for some important additional information about the roleplay (in other words, this is the stuff that draws you in and makes you think that Neo WUFTD is cool):

1. Post Content > Length
If it wasn't already clear based on the previous block, Neo WUFTD is for people with creative minds who love to paint a picture and weave an interesting story when they roleplay. Make your contributions as long or short as you want (at least a paragraph a month is the minimum we ask for), we don't mind either way. We just want to make it a quality experience for everyone. Look at this post in the story. The post is clean and well-written. It focuses more on character dialogue and interaction than describing the scenery. In Neo WUFTD, we want to focus on character interaction and development. You can even have your character(s) interact with characters that aren't even yours! Still, that post is really long. What kind of obsessed loser has the time to write such long--wait, that's my own post...   (it also only concerns my own characters and no one else's, and I tend to get carried away when I have full control over the situation. DON'T JUDGE ME!)

Anyway, the point is...your posts don't have to be that large, they can be smaller like this one. They can be anything in-between, as long as they're at least roughly a paragraph long. It's about quality of content over quantity, but if you want both, by all means go for it!   That's what I do...

2. Everyone can (and should) interact with everyone!
No one is an island. We want players to interact with each other using their characters in-story. Some posts for example:
OC to OC interaction: this one's good, and this.
OC to Touhou interaction: Pretty much everything else. But if you want some examples: here and here.
Heck, there's even some Touhou to Touhou interaction!

The point is, we want people to interact with each other often enough (not too much), not just between their OC(s) and Touhou partners but also with other participants' OC(s) and Touhou partners. Which leads to the next point...

3. YOU control character development
Okay, we all know that Touhou has a canon side and a fanon side. Yuyuko Saigyouji, for example: Canon Yuyuko had a terrifyingly unfortunate, tragic life while she was alive, then became much more whimsical as a ghost but retained her innocence and hidden cunning. Fanon Yuyuko loves teasing/abusing Youmu and eats anything not nailed down. Why am I mentioning this? To point out that Yuyuko already has "predefined" personalities. But in Neo WUFTD, there is no more Gensokyo. Gensokyo is GONE. It got DESTROYED. And now to even stay alive, Touhou characters need energy from human partners. Everything is totally different in reality. They'll meet new people, they'll make new friends, they'll experience new things...and they'll develop personalities to reflect that. In Neo WUFTD, YOU pick all your Touhou partners, YOU control how all of your characters develop and behave, regardless of how they may be canonically or fanonically portrayed. It's all in your hands, for the most part. It's definitely more open and flexible than many of the other roleplays here. Which makes the next point a shoo-in.

4. Be FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
This roleplay prides itself on not having many constraints. If you have to get from point A to point B, you do it how you want to. We can adjust and adapt to pretty much whatever you want to do. Just let us know beforehand if it's something wild or drastic, please. Chances are good we'll allow it, though. :)

OMG!!! KAKYOIN IT SOUNDS SOOOOO COOL! I WANNA JOIN! WAT DO?!
AKA TL;DR IF YOU WANT TO JOIN HERE'S HOW

So you're interested in joining Neo WUFTD, great! What now?

0. Read the part marked "VERY IMPORTANT" in the first post in this thread and make sure you know what to expect.
1. Read the part marked "How to Join this Roleplay" in the first post in this thread for more information on how to apply to join the roleplay.
2. Read the part about participant expectations in the first post in this thread just below the part in step 1 (not step 0, step 1).
3. Feel free to ask us questions you may have about the roleplay, in this thread. We will answer them swiftly. You can also check out the "Important contact information" part in the first post in this thread to see how else to contact myself or Nemo Ma.
4. Optionally, turn on Notify for this thread (upper-right corner of this page, should be a button "Notify") so as to be notified (quite the appropriate name, huh?) when there is a new post in this thread. It may send email reminders or whatever, something like that, but at least you'll be notified when there's activity here like if we have more information for you.
5. If you're THAT interested in it and you really have your heart set on joining (chances are pretty much 100% that you'll be accepted if you apply now), check out the story thread to see what kind of content to expect and/or consider getting a head start on creating your character using this post as a guideline. Character profiles will need to be posted after you go through part 1 in the application process. I like how I make Neo WUFTD sound like it's a special elitist club to help students look good for getting into college, or something...

That's it! You don't need to know anything in advance (no prerequisites other than your genuine interest in a roleplay like this). No need to brush up on what's already happened so far in the roleplay or whatever, we're not going to quiz you. Thank you in advance for your interest!

(I spent over an hour on this one post to try to get peoples' attention, dammit. Where's my money, Nemo?!)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:47:11 AM by Kakyoin »

Ran-Rii

• Regular at Patchouli's Library
  • In Patchouli's Library, reading books
Re: Neo WUFTD Discussion Thread - Mark 3 (Open! Anyone can join!)
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »
-Consider post deleted, I did not read hard enough while I was inquiring...-
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:03:27 AM by Ran-Rii »

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »
ITS NOT MY FAULT I AM RUSHING FOR EVERYTHING
is it?
PROBABLY IS IM SORRY DON'T HIT ME

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

Ran-Rii

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
Okay okay pick me pick me I always wanted to join an LP, but with the short answers they give I was not to sure whether I was doing it right.
So here's an application... I hope I filled up the application right...

Partner:
1. Remilia Scarlet [Last time I checked, available and no strings attached, I believe there is no further plot connection but if there is, consider this choice void.]
2. Sanae Kochiya [If the first choice is available, the second is void.]

[I only wanna manage 1... 2 might be too tough, considering schools gonna be back full force by January.]

My OC.
Name: Owen Sterne

Visual Description
-Height: 187.39 CM
-Hair color/style: Black-Brown, with uncut sideburns and spiky, short hair.

-Eye color: Deep Purple

-Clothing: Black Jacket, Purple Tank Top and Camouflage Pants. If casual, same, but with rugged, worn-out jeans instead.

-Accessories: A waist pouch that contains a Swiss Army Knife, a MK-32 pistol stored in the pockets of his Jacket, and a Necklace and a Bracelet.

-Other: A severed left arm, a prosthetic and mechanical left arm, a deep scar in his right palm. Medium build, NOT muscular.

-Personality
   General
   Believes that only the strongest survive, and actively refrains from making acquaintances as he fears that he has to kill them someday. Also, very silent, and does not talk unless necessary, and in a no-nonsense way.

Appreciates people who display clear independence and survival instinct, and also has ability to fend for themselves. Though, he does envy those who are able to act based on their emotions instead of logic. Also, chivalrous duelists, and those who really know what honor and dignity is worth.

Dislikes
   Hates on people who are whiny and dependent, and are incapable of anything. Also hates people who act rashly on emotion and the people who fake bravery.

History/Background: Owen Sterne is a member of a family of famous contract killers. They work part-time for the Singapore Military as assassins to eliminate important threats to society, and he has been raised in a world where he views all lives to be useless and merely tools. However, he himself is haunted by a memory of him having to kill a young girl in order to silence everyone at the scene of his killing of a Terrorist member, as the government would silence him regardless of whether he kills a "proper" person or not, as long as he is caught doing the act. He is on payroll of the Singapore Military's Sabotage and Espionage division, and also a contract killer that acts as long as there is a reward. However, ever since that incident that haunted him since 9 years ago, he is unable to let go of that memory, and refuses contracts that are inhumane as he deems. He used to have a comrade in a sabotage squad that he used to be in, and on one of his missions, he was the only member of his team to return and had his arm shot when he had to bail when the mission failed. Since then, he lost his best friend and comrade, and understood the true meaning of the sanctity of life - It is worth nothing. He resides in an apartment, and has spent most of his childhood in private education and also learning to use knives to kill. When his grandmother died, who was a gentle person, and did not know about the killing and the training he received in the first place, she gave a necklace she cherished to him. That was his last memory of the only person that treated him as a normal person. He also has a bracelet from young when his mother gave him during the first few months of birth before she died due to an infection and complication during the surgery done when he was born. His father is also a trained assassin, and treats him very coldly, and as if he were using him as a tool.

Fighting Style: He fights with a custom made Swiss Army Knife by his father, with the knife blade having ornate carvings on it. He specialises in swift kills, going for the neck of an enemy and tries to keep fights, if any, to as short as possible. He does not favour the use of his firearm, as it was the very firearm he killed the young girl who witnessed what he did during that specific mission with. He also tries to aim for the artery and tries to give his enemy a quick, painless death. He fights with his Swiss Army Knife with a backhand grip, and is able to fight competently with blade-wielding opponents. If the opponent uses a firearm, he will favour ambush tactics.

Ability: Sheer Effort and training from young. Impeccable mastery of the Knife renders him able to swing at high speeds, however, only at human capacity. He does not like fights, and the most favourable option will always be to stay away from trouble.

Goals/Objectives/Ambitions: He wishes to be a strong person, as he believes that humanity is weak because of all the angst and qualms that people have when they do something. He abides to chivalry [as much as he can be for someone that strikes from the shadows], and is also unorthodox when need be.

Theme Song (Optional):
The Price of Freedom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJ91H4mraU [When he is in a sentimental talk]
The World's Enemy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T7FlxbO50Y [When he gets into a fight he cannot get out of... his family blood takes over, and his ruthless side shows.]

Fun Facts (Optional): He keeps his Firearm in pieces, and only assembles it when he needs it. His Swiss army knife is carved with the words "Silence". He mastered a technique with his blade called the Swallow Reverse, where he dashes at an enemy and feints into a backhand slash. He only uses the blade of the knife when he is sure he can attack the neck, or he will use the blunt edge of the knife. His unkempt sideburns make him look like a wolf.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 02:52:57 PM by Ran-Rii »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 06:35:26 PM »
Posting Character list for Confirmation:

Character Name: David Farr
Character Age: 19
1) Elly
2) Kurumi
3) Elis
4) None
5) None

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Kakyoin

@YJ, Ran-Rii
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »
ITS NOT MY FAULT I AM RUSHING FOR EVERYTHING
is it?
PROBABLY IS IM SORRY DON'T HIT ME
No it's not your fault, haha. Calm down, we know people get busy/have unfortunate things happen, it's all good. ;)

Okay okay pick me pick me I always wanted to join an LP, but with the short answers they give I was not to sure whether I was doing it right.

Partner:
1. Remilia Scarlet [Last time I checked, available and no strings attached, I believe there is no further plot connection but if there is, consider this choice void.]

[I only wanna manage 1... 2 might be too tough, considering schools gonna be back full force by January.]

My OC.

This is what we were looking for at first. We're glad to see that you're excited enough to make a character profile already though! :D

Anyway, Remilia Scarlet is available with no strings attached, so I will enter your signup info with her as Owen's destined partner and not Sanae, meaning Owen will have only Remilia as his one partner.

As for the character profile:

Visual Description

Fun Facts (Optional): He keeps his Firearm in pieces, and only assembles it when he needs it. His Swiss army knife is carved with the words "Silence". He mastered a technique with his blade called the Swallow Reverse, where he dashes at an enemy and feints into a backhand slash. He only uses the blade of the knife when he is sure he can attack the neck, or he will use the blunt edge of the knife. His unkempt sideburns make him look like a wolf.

I like the interesting backstory and it looks great, but note that you must be responsible with your OC. Remember that Remilia will need to have roughly equal focus in the story, Owen cannot do all the work while she watches. Also, we are hesitant to allow a character with a gun in this, but seeing as he keeps it disassembled it's fine for now. Just make sure not to portray him as being overly powerful compared to someone like Remilia, that's all. Verdict: approved with warnings given.

Another thing I'd like to see in your character profile is how Owen got to Japan, since you are joining right now and the story is currently taking place in Japan. It's not necessary, but it would be weird to not mention it, which would leave a hole in his backstory.

Lastly, make sure that you read this roleplay's expectations and you understand what to expect in this roleplay in the first post in this thread. This is just me being careful, I want to make sure that people are well-matched for this roleplay. If you are all in then great! :D

Kakyoin

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
Drat, it seems like someone added an application while I was already responding. Double posting to make it obvious that I'm responding to one particular person.

Posting Character list for Confirmation:

Character Name: David Farr
Character Age: 19
1) Elly
2) Kurumi
3) Elis
4) None
5) None

"Application" accepted! Your character will be entered into our records. The next step is to fill out a character profile for David. :D

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
Here's one I prepared earlier! [While thinking about characters :V]

Picture: [I have 0 art skills so you'll have to make do with Create.swf and then change it according to the desc.]

Name: David Farr

Visual Description
   Height: 5?8?, or 172 CM
   Hair color/style: Medium-length dark brown hair with no particular style done to it, it?s left natural, which results in two curves in his hairline at the front of his head, one down, one up, almost like a slightly split ying-yang.
   Eye color: Hazel
   Clothing: David prefers loose clothing, and as such, often wears plain t-shirts, occasionally with some pattern on them, preferring shades of blue, or black, and tracksuit trousers, since they are loose-fitting. This is his standard attire even in the cold. His shoes are standard black shoes.

When it?s particularly hot he?ll put on a cream-colored cap to shade himself.
   Accessories: David almost always carries something to keep his hands occupied when he?s not doing anything else, as he can?t stay still. Usually this is a pen. He also usually bas a backpack when he goes out, usually with a pencil case and paper in, as well as things such as his wallet.
   Other: David has a large scar down each side of his left arm, the inside scar being a lot more noticeable.

Personality
   General: David almost always feels more open and comfortable around females than males, due to his lack of interest in things such as sport, and bullying in his past. He can be quite quiet and slow to embrace people, but once the shell is broken he?s pretty talkative and friendly.

David is pretty laid back in general, and has a very long temper, and will usually only show dislike for someone with the occasional jab at them when the chance arises. He?s perfectly happy to just ignore people he doesn?t like.

When David sets his mind on something he is as stubborn as an old donkey about it, and it is very hard to dissuade him. This can make him seem argumentative when his opinion disagrees with someone, but in reality it?s just him being stubborn.

David feels more at home in colder conditions, and hates hot weather and especially humid conditions when it is hot with moisture in the air.

David highly dislikes immature people, if there is one way to make him ignore you, it?s to act like a little kid around him.

He personally doesn?t swear, and will occasionally berate someone who excessively swears, but usually doesn?t care about other?s language.

Due to lack of social experience when he was younger, he can sometimes be a little awkward in some situations, especially when he is around a lot of new people at once.

To those he who don?t know him, he is reserved, serious, and somewhat hard to approach, albeit, civil. To those that do know him he?s a laid back cheery guy.

Likes: Relaxing, colder weather, loose clothing, outsmarting others who have done him wrong
   Dislikes: Sport, hot/humid weather, immaturity, heights

History/Background:
David has had a pretty normal life in general. He was somewhat gifted in school, and the exact opposite in sport, which lead to him being someone segregated from the fellow male children, and even bullied by some of his male peers, leading to him finding himself more at home with females. This is compounded by his father working abroad, and having a sister, so he had very little male influence when growing up.

When he was 10 years old, in an accident, he tripped over a small spillage on some stairs, and, in the resulting fall doubled his left hand back to his elbow, breaking both bones clean in half, requiring an operation and a year in cast, putting his physical ability even further back, and his interest in sport and physical activity even lower. The required operations left his two massive scars on his arm.

Over time, as the people he was around grew older, and he met new people, the bullying stopped, and, ever so slowly, he has begun to open up more. However, he still has a thick shell even today from his past experiences.

Fighting Style: David prefers to be as far away from combat as possible. If forced to fight, he focuses on evasion and defense, until the enemy tries out, when he?ll generally try and use as little force as he can, such as tripping someone over. He isn?t above fighting dirty. While his own stamina isn?t high, just evading doesn?t tire him out very quickly. If outmatched, he is pretty fast in a straight line, although he can?t keep up his top speeds for very long.

That said, he is a big fan of indirect combat and revenge against those who wrong him, and likes to set people against each other if he feels they can be, and have wronged him before. As he puts it ?If you have two common enemies with a reason to dislike each other, just point them at each other and you win.?

However, if he is snaps, he will discard his usual rational style, and will fight almost in a berserk fashion. However, due to his low physical ability, this is not a very successful way of him fighting at all.

David has no knowledge of how to use weaponry, or any martial arts. About his extent of knowing how to use a weapon is ?insert pointy end into enemy? or ?smash people with heavy end?.

Goals/Objectives/Ambitions: David?s main goal is to stay happy, and drift through life at his pace, taking what comes his way, as he sees it, riding the rollercoaster that life is. He?s pretty aimless, and easily satisfied with even the minimums of life, he doesn?t want to be a big name with a massive house and more than he needs, he knows what makes him happy, and is happy with that. He is rational about his expectations.

Theme Song: (optional) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oSMuTvDHCM

Fun Facts: (optional): David has a pretty large appetite, and isn?t fussy about food at all, except mushrooms.

David has a fear of heights. When above second-story height, he will purposely avoid windows to he can?t look down. Looking down from 3 floors up or higher will usually fill him with a severe sense of vertigo, which gets worse the higher up he is.

Additional Information/Background/History: None Yet

Relationships: None Yet
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:24:43 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Ran-Rii

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 11:39:46 PM »
How he got to Japan? Consider that done...
*Check character profile again...*

Ran-Rii

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »

Partner:

My OC.

Visual Description

-Clothing: Black Jacket, Purple Tank Top and Camouflage Pants. If casual, same, but with rugged, worn-out jeans instead.

-Accessories: A waist pouch that contains a Swiss Army Knife, a MK-32 pistol stored in the pockets of his Jacket, and a Necklace and a Bracelet.

-Other: A severed left arm, a prosthetic and mechanical left arm, a deep scar in his right palm. Medium build, NOT muscular.

-Personality
   General
   Believes that only the strongest survive, and actively refrains from making acquaintances as he fears that he has to kill them someday. Also, very silent, and does not talk unless necessary, and in a no-nonsense way.

Appreciates people who display clear independence and survival instinct, and also has ability to fend for themselves. Though, he does envy those who are able to act based on their emotions instead of logic. Also, chivalrous duelists, and those who really know what honor and dignity is worth.

Dislikes
   Hates on people who are whiny and dependent, and are incapable of anything. Also hates people who act rashly on emotion and the people who fake bravery.

History/Background: Owen Sterne is a member of a family of famous contract killers. They work part-time for the Singapore Military as assassins to eliminate important threats to society, and he has been raised in a world where he views all lives to be useless and merely tools. However, he himself is haunted by a memory of him having to kill a young girl in order to silence everyone at the scene of his killing of a Terrorist member, as the government would silence him regardless of whether he kills a "proper" person or not, as long as he is caught doing the act. He is on payroll of the Singapore Military's Sabotage and Espionage division, and also a contract killer that acts as long as there is a reward. However, ever since that incident that haunted him since 9 years ago, he is unable to let go of that memory, and refuses contracts that are inhumane as he deems. He used to have a comrade in a sabotage squad that he used to be in, and on one of his missions, he was the only member of his team to return and had his arm shot when he had to bail when the mission failed. Since then, he lost his best friend and comrade, and understood the true meaning of the sanctity of life - It is worth nothing. He resides in an apartment, and has spent most of his childhood in private education and also learning to use knives to kill. When his grandmother died, who was a gentle person, and did not know about the killing and the training he received in the first place, she gave a necklace she cherished to him. That was his last memory of the only person that treated him as a normal person. He also has a bracelet from young when his mother gave him during the first few months of birth before she died due to an infection and complication during the surgery done when he was born. His father is also a trained assassin, and treats him very coldly, and as if he were using him as a tool.

Very recently, he received  a text message from the government, sending him on a mission to collect intelligence about a place in Japan dubbed "Virtual Gensokyo". As such, he departed for Japan to (supposedly)rendezvous with his commanding officer... However, little did he know that this was a ploy to kill him in an "accident during the mission", and no officer is really there... He continues on his supposed mission, however...

Fighting Style: He fights with a custom made Swiss Army Knife by his father, with the knife blade having ornate carvings on yit. He specialises in swift kills, going for the neck of an enemy and tries to keep fights, if any, to as short as possible. He does not favour the use of his firearm, as it was the very firearm he killed the young girl who witnessed what he did during that specific mission with. He also tries to aim for the artery and tries to give his enemy a quick, painless death. He fights with his Swiss Army Knife with a backhand grip, and is able to fight competently with blade-wielding opponents. If the opponent uses a firearm, he will favour ambush tactics.

Ability: Sheer Effort and training from young. Impeccable mastery of the Knife renders him able to swing at high speeds, however, only at human capacity. He does not like fights, and the most favourable option will always be to stay away from trouble.

Goals/Objectives/Ambitions: He wishes to be a strong person, as he believes that humanity is weak because of all the angst and qualms that people have when they do something. He abides to chivalry [as much as he can be for someone that strikes from the shadows], and is also unorthodox when need be.

Theme Song (Optional):
The Price of Freedom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOJ91H4mraU [When he is in a sentimental talk]
The World's Enemy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T7FlxbO50Y [When he gets into a fight he cannot get out of... his family blood takes over, and his ruthless side shows.]

Fun Facts (Optional): He keeps his Firearm in pieces, and only assembles it when he needs it. His reluctance to use his firearm makes him consider hinself weak. His Swiss army knife is carved with the words "Silence". He mastered a technique with his blade called the Swallow Reverse, where he dashes at an enemy and feints into a backhand slash. He only uses the blade of the knife when he is sure he can attack the neck, or he will use the blunt edge of the knife. His unkempt sideburns make him look like a wolf.

Kakyoin

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 01:36:29 AM »
Here's one I prepared earlier! [While thinking about characters :V]

Name: David Farr

Fun Facts: (optional): David has a pretty large appetite, and isn?t fussy about food at all, except mushrooms.

David has a fear of heights. When above second-story height, he will purposely avoid windows to he can?t look down. Looking down from 3 floors up or higher will usually fill him with a severe sense of vertigo, which gets worse the higher up he is.

Additional Information/Background/History: None Yet

Relationships: None Yet
I see nothing problematic in this character profile, it looks good to me. Approved as far as I can see.

@Ran-Rii, you added the following to Owen's character profile:
Very recently, he received a text message from the government, sending him on a mission to collect intelligence about a place in Japan dubbed "Virtual Gensokyo". As such, he departed for Japan to (supposedly)rendezvous with his commanding officer... However, little did he know that this was a ploy to kill him in an "accident during the mission", and no officer is really there... He continues on his supposed mission, however...
We would much prefer it if Owen was to travel to Japan for reasons not related to RAI or the Virtual Gensokyo experiment, so we can come up with a reason of our own to pull in Owen and all the others joining up now, at the same time for the same reason. If you provide a reason, this severely limits our ability to easily tie in new OCs into the story (otherwise, if everyone comes up with their own reasons it becomes a huge mess to tie together without some sort of asspull plot device). This is not your fault, we just weren't specific enough. Please change it so other reasons have led him to Japan, thanks in advance. :D