Author Topic: JoJo's Bizarre Grail War - A Fate/Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 211467 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
JoJo's Bizarre Grail War - A Fate/Z-Machine Adventure
« on: July 20, 2017, 12:25:49 AM »
Grail Wars how do they work?

Let's find out together, shall we? I've been playing with the idea for years now, and yalls finally got me to do it. SO! I am going to run an RP set in the Type MOON's Fate setting. (Okay, it's really the whole kit and kaboodle, but you know what I mean.) That means, Grail war time. You'll control a single magician, and have a Servant, run into other servants, and so forth and so on. Stuff will happen, it'll be cool.

As a warning, while I am doing my best to stay relatively true to Fate, the fact of the matter is shit goes all over the place into alternate universes and questionable degrees of canon and stuff that just don't got no translation. And I certainly do not have all-consuming knowledge of the Nasu's. So let's keep things like this: Fate Stay/Night happened. What we learned there can be generally thought to be true, even if ICly you don't know about it (whether you do or don't, we'll see). Past that, we'll see. Maybe there was Hollow Ataraxia, maybe there wasn't. But really, what I am warning you is not to expect weird magic things from, say, Fate/ Grand Order to apply here, because I don't know them. So, let's assume the DnD standard of "The GM is always right" and maybe I'll say some mea culpas while it happens.  Also, don't expect any "mana transfers". If you get a love interest, yall gotta be legit.

As well, I am planning to take more initiative than usual in making scenes and stuff, sometimes pushing things further before the next choice comes up. As well, dead ends do exist. Should you get one, we'll have an ending and then rewind a little bit, and hopefully yalls will be more thoughtful. Contrariwise, this means you may get into tactically difficult situations that require some real strategies or someone gets killed. Someone not you getting killed may or may not dead end you, it depends. ALSO: Veterans of Nasu VNs may be well aware that the best answer is to do the stupid heroic thing even when it's clearly the dumbest possible thing.  This can sometimes work here, but don't expect it to work all the time or often. I prize cleverness over throwing yourself at an overwhelmingly powerful foe to "protect" your vastly more powerful waifu.

ANYWAYS! With that done, let's get started. We'll worry about whens and wheres and whys later. For now, let's establish the character.

>You have been a magus for much of your 25 years now. You've lived in a secret world that exists along side the everyday mundane life that most people know. You've grown up poor, but happy. Your parents did their best for you, provided you a sound education, and introduced you to the world of the mystical. You don't know anything about the rest of your family, they would simply tell you that a magus is better off not knowing about these kinds of things. You trusted them, not worrying too much about the notions of aunts, uncles, or cousins and continued your life. Secretly, you suspect that something bad may have happened to them, but you have not been able to bring yourself to ask.
>You did well in school, though your life as a magus cut well into time that might have been spent building up an impressive college application. Part of two worlds, you sometimes found it difficult to blend into society, but you had your friends and your socializing. Eventually you went to a local college, obtaining a degree that ultimately wouldn't be worth much in the current global state. Your grades were good, but not amazing. Magecraft requires devotion, and the secrets of the arcane appealed so much more to you. You hear there are special academies for magi, but these were never for you. Your life is too mundane, too removed for such things. Now you eke out a living on your own, balancing a seemingly mundane life with research into things most people would never know.
>But what sort of person are you? Each kind of person has their own advantages, disadvantages, and affects on your magic. Are you:
>>A: Athletic and active. You find it hard to stay still for long periods of time, you want to be outside moving and running and having a ball. You have some modest skill in several sports, and some small infamy for your exploits in local games. You like to work out and balance your studies and work with copious physical activity. You are fit and trim, a good runner and a decent brawler when it comes to that. You even know a little karate (but not too much, martial arts and magecraft are hard to share for long). Your job is making food deliveries by scooter and bike, and your prompt service more often than not gets you adequate tips.
>>B. Studious and overly focused. You're a couch potato, happiest diving into video games or books or the internet. You have amassed a wide range of knowledge on a variety of topics, and can annoy the hell out of others with your surprising knowledge. You didn't just do well in school, you did great! Coincidentally, you are kind of on the heavy side and build for comfort, as they say. You work a desk jockey for a local firm, and have a fairly reasonable amount of money and not too much physical stress in your work day. You have a bit more time to devote to your magic thanks to your nature as a homebody, but your social life suffers. Well, IRL. Online, you have many friends.
>>C. Passionate and unfettered. You live by your own code, and damn society's rules. Not too hard, you're not an awful person, but who does speeding or cursing in public really hurt? You live as you wish and do your best to refine yourself under your own ideals. When society's line up with that, great! When they do not, tough shit. You got in trouble in school for insubordination many times, and wore it as a badge of honor. You aren't so hard-headed that you can't take advice or just backlash against a thing because it's popular. You like what you like, and you take the wisdom of others through the focus of your own wisdom. Passionate and expressive, you threw yourself into art naturally, and into music in particular. You play gigs at a local clubs and parties, making unreliable money. Living by your own rules has won you fame from those who respect you for your honesty, and scorn from those who think you're full of shit, contrarian for no reason, or too dumb to acknowledge the wisdom of others. You know in your heart your critics are wrong, but they help you refine yourself too. Your physical activity is about average.
>>D: Serene and disciplined: You regulate your diet strictly, you approach your activities with calm grace. You never overindulge, you do your best never to speak out of place, and never let your immediate feelings get the best of you. Your teachers praised you as a wonderful kid, your childhood peers thought your were weird, and most people think you aren't really all that much fun. But few mess with you, because you had more than enough disciple to learn judo and well as your magecraft. You honestly don't do a whole lot for fun, but when you do you take it in measured doses so as to enjoy it to its fullest. Your approach to life has lead you to take up cooking as your profession; what better way to control what you eat? Being a chef can have lousy hours sometimes, but you are paid well and respected for your work. Your sense of discipline allows you to spend much of your free time perfecting your magecraft and keeping up with your judo, and your stamina and endurance are terrific, even if your agility and strength are somewhat average. Your social life is terribe, and sometimes you feel very stressed.

Select what you think is best, I'll tally them tomorrow and we'll go from there. As well, feel free to suggest other things to go with the character type you pick, and any questions you have!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:24:01 AM by Purji Costavis »

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
Re: The Grail War - A Z-Machine Fate Adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:29:13 AM »
give 'em the
>>D
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Monarda

• Tactician that has a soft spot for cuteness.
  • Art by Amibazh
Re: The Grail War - A Fate/Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:36:44 AM »
Sneaky Purvis ! You are too good !

Agreed, they shall know the:

>>D.

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
  • For all of my life... A stranger I remain.
Re: The Grail War - A Z-Machine Fate Adventure
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 12:37:15 AM »
//> For the first time, catches the beginning of a new game from Pur-
//> *It's Fate Stay/Night related*
//> Knew I had to watch the thing long ago :fail:
ALL HAIL PROPOSALING-SAMA. SURPRISE FOR HIM.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:52:08 AM »
I'm honestly more on the

>>B

-list.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 12:57:57 AM »
>D

I wavered around on C, but we can make everyone love us in post, probably.

Von Stein

• Just some insane airhead.
  • What's this newfangled stuff?
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 01:06:42 AM »
I'm gonna toss in a

>>C

See?
Can't think of a good signature.
More lilies maybe?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 01:29:23 AM »
> A! This is where a picture of Arthur Fonzarelli would go if I knew that wouldn't immediately get my vote discounted.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 01:35:41 PM »
Alright, I am jumping in on this after repeated prodding at home.

Its's just gotta be B. That's the law. It is known.

★[tumblr]☆[picarto]☆[deviantart]★

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »
Oh hey, long time no see Mao, welcome back !

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »
I SEE YOU DRACO YOU BETTER PLAY IN THIS ONE
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
Fine, Fine :P

>B. Being the mageiest mage seems like a definite advantage and the archetype feels more unique in context. Besides, I cannot resist the possibility of Literal Internet Wizardry.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 04:03:11 PM »
> Compromise vote B

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »
> If I can't have A then I slightly prefer B to D. Futaba here we come!
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 04:21:44 PM »
Please no Anzu mode.

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »
Sakura, not Anzu.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 04:33:11 PM »
Still, please no Anzu.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 06:06:58 PM »
>YOU ARE LILY HUMBOLDT, OF CALUMET CITY, COOK COUNTY ILLINOIS. As far as you know, you're the only magus of Calumet City,  you don't think there are any others. There's certainly some in Chicago, but not here. Probably. If they are, they're laying low. Really, it never hurts to leave the question open, complacency never does anyone any good. Not that you get to complain about being complacent; you're perfectly happy to go for days without leaving your apartment. Really, there's no need. You have everything you need right here. Sure grocery trips have to happen, but seriously...
>Sadly, you are forced to venture from your comfortable lair on most days working for Intellitect Solutions LTD, which you are pretty sure is just a front for some sort of obscure financial crime under the guise of offering records filing services. But it pays well and you get a lot of time to yourself, which you're all to happy to put to use online or in the latest game you got your hands on.
>However, you aren't all play. You study hard on your magecraft, doing your best to advance your understanding and seek ultimate knowledge, like any true magus. Your knowledge of related topics is considerable, you are well versed in history, have some knowledge of the arcane fringe history much of the world is unaware of, and a treasure trove of magical minutia. You know about many of the great magus families, you know about the Mage's Association in England, and just how weak its tendrils are here, you know about the Grail Wars in Fuyuki, at least in general. You certainly don't know the details, but no one save the people who were there do.
>You also have your connections to the occult underground in this region. Lacking an official organization like the Mage's Association, some magi choose to come together in neutral grounds to meet and discuss and socialize among their own, bargaining and trading services and materials. While nothing compared to the power or prestige of the Mage's Association, the occult underground offers some aid and a sense of belonging to any magi that seeks it. A complex web of acceptable actions and honor have arisen from this grassroots network, and you are wise enough to observe them lest you get ostracized or worse.
>Your magic is like that of many magicians, assembled from an eclectic grab-bag of "whatever works". Runes, Onmyoudo, Alchemy, Arcane Numerology, whatever works. Lacking any grand magical tradition of its own, this can be called the American way. As of yet, you have not really solidified on what can be considered your style, but you have a grab-bag of spells you know well.
>Lately, you have been troubled. There's something in the air, something making the occult underground easy. From what you've been able to gather online (a fiendishly difficult task of separating the real stuff from the Alex Joneses of the world), it isn't just here as well. Something's up. Something's up, and you think you know what it is. For the past week, you've been having dreams. Visions of assembling a very particular circle, you can see it when you close your eyes and think about it. Every little detail. You dream of saying the words, invoking a great spirit to come to you. You know the words in your heart; even though you've never heard or read them outside of your dreams. Your research has turned up little in the way of details, but in your heart, you know what is happening. Another Grail War is brewing, and something has chosen you. You know exactly what this means, seven masters will fight for supremacy with the aid of seven heroic spirits. The one that succeeds, by whatever means they will, shall be allowed to draw upon the power of the holy grail to grant a wish.
>This shouldn't be possible. You aren't anywhere near the battleground, you have no connection to it whatsoever. It's completely baffling.
>Do you undergo the ritual, or do you ignore it?

>_
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:50:39 AM by Purji Costavis »

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 06:19:45 PM »
> Fortune favors the bold! Do it.

Chaore

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 06:28:20 PM »
>The real question we have to ask ourselves, is will the grail let us drink Dr. Pepper out of it, and if so will we survive the endeavor.
>The clear answer is no.
>But god damnit, we have to try.

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 06:35:45 PM »
Oh right

> What do we look like?
> How much do we see/speak to our family?

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 06:39:35 PM »
>What are some of that 'grab-bag of spells we know well'?

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 06:46:59 PM »
> And why does it include Invisibility?

Tashi

• Charming Devil!
  • For all of my life... A stranger I remain.
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 06:59:31 PM »
//Okay, I don't know a single thing of FS/N, but I will try to give this a shot too. Whatever God wants!

Oh right

> What do we look like?

> Special attention to our figure, of course!
ALL HAIL PROPOSALING-SAMA. SURPRISE FOR HIM.

Chaore

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 07:04:40 PM »
We'll run you a quick primer when it's needed then, dw. I imagine what's relevant will come up once we summon our punch ghos- I mean, Servant, yes. But in short: Currently we have a very valuable condition/rash that allows us to join a war for the holy grail, which is the holy motherfucking grail, but there is a 98% chance we die because that's the grail war.

We don't actually have a way out, if we don't use it, someone else will likely take our hand (and or life) to use it.

>What is our best spell and why is it protection from arrows motherfucker, I saw runes in there, you can't stop me IF I CAN'T PUNCH GHANDI I'M GOING TO ABUSE THE SHIT OUT OF THAT.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 07:55:26 PM »
>Remember to recover snacks before anything.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 08:03:10 PM »
>The real question we have to ask ourselves, is will the grail let us drink Dr. Pepper out of it, and if so will we survive the endeavor.
>The clear answer is no.
>But god damnit, we have to try.

>You can't imagine it would like that, but who cares what it thinks? You'll have to remember to have some onhand.

> What do we look like?

>You are a smaller and somewhat heavier woman. You like to tell yourself you're attractively chubby, not everyone agrees. You have back-length brown hair which you tend to keep in a ponytail when you want to look professional. You have glasses for your nearsightedness. Your fashion sense is questionable; ranging from "very cheap" to "you meme-loving fuck". You don't usually wear the latter, it's embarrassing and you regret having them. But not so much you throw them out.
>You see them less and less these days. They live in Gary, Indiana, but lately they have been home less and less. They're also a pain to contact, because they absolutely refuse to get involved with the internet, seeing it as too removed from their art. In fact, they won't even use phones. Phones. Which have been around longer than they've been alive. Seriously. This is complicated by the fact that they have taken to travelling since you've grown up, so all you can count on is the odd post card.

>Your magic tends to work best around earth based-spells, then water based. You can make others work, but with increasing effort for diminishing returns.
>Spells you know well:
>Wall: Based in Kabbalic Imagery, you inscribe particular Hebrew letters on a stone, and toss it in front of you. It will gather surrounding earth into a wall that lasts for a few seconds. Even if it is composed of nothing but loose dirt, this wall can absorb powerful impacts with ease. With stronger rock and such, you would trust it to absorb gunfire. If you could find a way to extend the duration, you could probably create several of these. This spell comes easily to you, and does not greatly tax your mana.
>Freeze: By tossing a talisman inscribed with particular spiritual edicts into a body of water, you can freeze it. A bathtub's worth of water will freeze solid, while larger bodies of water will freeze over top to varying thicknesses. They will then melt naturally. You don't know the exact parameters, but you can freeze a pond well enough to walk on it safely. If you use it on a body of water that is too large, it simply creates a thin sheet that floats away and melts quickly. This is not terribly difficult, but it does draw strongly on your reserves of mana.
>Elemental Conjuration: You can summon quantities of earth and water; a few gallons of each at once. This tends to drain your mana heavily, as you are not actually making it out of nothing, but rather drawing minute amounts of various places over a radius. This implies that if you are too far from the earth or from water, it would not work. The conjured stuff appears in front of you, you can direct where within a couple feet. You struggle with these spells, more than you feel you should. Being near a body of water only makes it slightly easier to summon water.
>Halt: A single-target Germanic curse, this causes the target's feet to stick to the earth, with respect to their momentum. A person at rest will be unable to take a step, while a person running will stumble and perhaps fall. Their feet must be touching the ground for it to work, and the victim must be within sight. Magi can try to resist this, but it may interfere with their concentration otherwise. It can last up to 20 seconds. This spell comes easily to you, but requires some concentration to use, and do not draw too much mana.
>Blind: A variant of the Gandr curse; this in particular attacks the liquids inside the target's eyes, distorting or shutting down their eyesight. It's hard to measure how reliable it will be, but it tends to last a good half minute. Like with Halt, a skilled magi may try to resist this attack, and the target must be within line of sight.  This spell is not the easiest, but you are good at it. It can be taxing on your mana, though. A sufficiently powerful magician can create physical effects with this much like Gandr, but you can't seem to get the hang of it.
>Crash: A spell of your own design, merging sacred numerology with what little air magecraft you can control. By touching a computer and focusing for a few moments, you can cause it to experience a crash. It does not work on analogue objects. Some sufficiently advanced systems have shown an ability to resist and simply slow down briefly, you aren't sure what the criteria of that are, but you think it is probably either part quality or program quality. Maybe both. This consumes a lot of mana, and requires a lot of focus.
>Staunch: A spell of Persian origin, this allows you to seal open wounds. It does not stop the pain or heal them, but the blood will stop flowing out. You've never tested it on serious wounds, but you imagine it should be possible with the proper mana commitment.
>Forbidden Zone: You are not sure of this spell's origins, but it shapes earth to be less smooth and more hostile. This can manifest spikes of rock from the dirt, open difficult to traverse holes, or more. The more time you spend with the spell, the greater the effect. It can cover a small patch of ground, but more time results in a larger range. However, nothing compels anyone to fall prey to introduced hazards, and they can be dodged normally. This spell feels easier than it should be for you.

> And why does it include Invisibility?

>I cannot trust you people with that.

//Okay, I don't know a single thing of FS/N, but I will try to give this a shot too. Whatever God wants!

> Special attention to our figure, of course!

>I was trying to be circumspect but you reasonably thicc among that pudge.

>Remember to recover snacks before anything.

>You have a supply of junk food as well as real food.

>_

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
>Ponder ways to become waifu-tier hot.

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 08:16:01 PM »
>How quickly can we inscribe the proper letters to use our Wall spell? Is this something that can reasonably be done on the fly, or does it realistically need to be prepared in advance?
>Likewise with the Freeze talisman?
>Are in control of precisely what sorts of hazards are created by Forbidden Zone and their location? Or does it just make terrain in the general area more hostile in an unpredictable fashion?

>Do we know what kind of materials we'll need to complete the Grail ritual? And if so, how many of these do we have easily at hand?

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 08:23:43 PM »
>Ponder ways to become waifu-tier hot.

> Nonsense, we already are!

> When are we next required to go into work?