Author Topic: New forums!  (Read 77389 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
New forums!
« on: April 21, 2009, 05:42:14 AM »
TSO has finally implemented the promised migration, so here we are. You'll need to re-reg your nick, since these forums are completely new.

If you hadn't finished archiving important threads on the old forums, don't worry - they'll be viewable again soon enough for you to go back and pick up anything you missed.

EDIT: Old forum archive!
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity
Re: New forums!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 06:00:03 AM »
well I'm glad i guess ^_^ i can take my normal name "Kojiro" instead of "Kojiros" now hahah. I heard that a new plan was gonna be implemented but i didn't know it was now. PRetty cool ^_^
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

Volt

• Patchy's personal Mech~
  • Dreaming of life-- After the war!~
    • VOLTFEST fan club~
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 06:02:20 AM »
It looks like you can change your public name on this one now, like I can sign in as VOLTFEST and change my name to appear as VOLT.
 8)
And now for the generic signature text.

Kerigis

• *Gnaws Donut*
  • Bow down before the true administrator!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 06:02:29 AM »
Thumbs up for the new forum.
Great job, guys! >w<b

Powerup punchin'!

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 06:08:20 AM »
I'm going to miss my PM archive.

:(
There was something here once. Wonder what...

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 06:09:27 AM »
So uh...I'm not complaining, but some parts of this are going to be changed and prettied up, right? White text box is augh.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 06:11:45 AM »
Good stuff guys.

Drake

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 06:37:18 AM »
So, is the old.shrinemaiden archive just going to stay there, or am I going to have to archive some shit?

I already have Touhou Accomps 4+5, some danmakufu stuff and such.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 06:41:22 AM »
I would archive stuff to be safe.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 06:43:29 AM »
Is there any easy way to archive something outside of copy/pasting it into a word document? Because I'm sure there's some things I want to save.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Kojiremi

• Crimson Asuratic
  • Touhou, Disgaea, Neptunia. Holy Trinity
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 06:45:32 AM »
Well i just wanted to say the place looks great ^_^ The white text box for posting is a little bright on the eyes but i'll adjust. (I'ma patchy. sitting in the dark reading/on the computer hehe)
Well i just wanted to ask if we can get our RP thread transferred over too? its about how Gensokyo crumbled and was destroyed but some outsiders who frequesnt there was able to salvage and save some of the residents there and bring them to the outside world where they hope to use "Memories" to restore Gensokyo. Its getting really good right now ^_^ And i was wonderin if we can have it transferred over?
If you dont' want to or can't its okay but i thought i'd ask at least

We have 2 threads: one for the actual story and one for discussion
http://old.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=2119.180
http://old.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=2121.90
Well thanks again for everything ^_^  seriously.
I read that thread "Guys, Shrinemaiden sucks now" and wasn't liking a lot that was said and the arguin back and forth wasn't really worth all the time on it....some people are just imposing i suppose ya know?
I tried messaging TSO and SHS but it failed and said it was blocked so i came here to post it
HOpe that's alright to do and request.
Thanks guys hehe ^_^
See the patterns, feel the patterns, become one with the patterns, avoid the patterns
In order to live through the patterns, you must understand the patterns for everything else there is MASTER SPARK.

Contempt

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 06:48:37 AM »
Yes I like the new forum, especially the addition of "The Outside World" thread.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 06:56:47 AM »
Ahhhhh.... this is cool and disappointing at the same time.

I have to repost all the fanwork I ever done?

Can't you guys just migrate the root of the forums or something?

(I mean, just when I already recently cleaned up the threads and what's not...)

(should have just registered as AF instead. how do I change displayed username?)
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

FallenAngelV

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 07:06:52 AM »
Thirteenth.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 07:07:35 AM »
(should have just registered as AF instead. how do I change displayed username?)

I'll tell you if you source me on the full image of your avatar. >_>

Kojiro: It is VERY unlikely anything remotely related to the "waifu" series of topics will be migrated. We only planned on migrating important stickies, which is done outside of Danmakufu because I don't know shit about what goes on in there and someone already made an FAQ topic.

V: Get back to work, slacker.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 07:08:06 AM »
I just hope people who posted guides in Touhou guide section from old forum will save their work. Also the Danmaku-fu tutorials.

Edit:

Kilgamayan:  Source of ze avatar.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:11:28 AM by Helepolis »

LiteYear

• Touhou Fangame Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 07:13:14 AM »
If I may ask, what's new?  Just some new features?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 07:15:47 AM »
SMF 1.x is end of lifed, we were hitting the limitations of it, plus SMF 2.0 has native PostgreSQL support which is so much faster and more reliable than MySQL could ever hope to be.  I had to do some really really hacky things to get everything to work on the old setup, and it was just creaking and barely moving along, and basically just straining under its own weight.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 07:18:16 AM »
I hope the option to change to a bright theme will be added ASAP. This dark one hurts my eyes.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 07:20:09 AM »
SMF 1.x is end of lifed, we were hitting the limitations of it, plus SMF 2.0 has native PostgreSQL support which is so much faster and more reliable than MySQL could ever hope to be.  I had to do some really really hacky things to get everything to work on the old setup, and it was just creaking and barely moving along, and basically just straining under its own weight.

Well, glad to hear things are working smoother for you now.

Sorry about my grousing in that topic -- hopefully this Rebirth will make things smoother both in the code and on the other side of the screens, if you get my drift.

Hopefully I won't turn my Navi Emblem into a giant bull's-eye again this time. X_X
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 07:29:30 AM »
I think this is definitely faster, and with that, I suppose I have to approve it.

Here is a best quality edition for my avatar pic Kilga

[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Contempt

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 07:32:08 AM »
Quick question, what qualifies post to be put in every thing else and not be moved to Cirnos class room? Also what people have the power to alter things in that thread?

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 07:36:48 AM »
Yeah, consider we now have a "serious discussion place" the everything else becomes more random, so cirno's math class forums have become strangely out of place.

Unless by everything else, you mean to include youtube video threads and all that.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 07:40:49 AM »
Here's the distinction, Everything Else is a chill offtopic place for nonserious discussion, like bitch on the internet/post your fridge threads, etc.  The Outside World forum is a place for serious and meaningful discussion on real world topics, like say a real anime discussion thread, or a current events thing, etc.  And Cirno's Math Class is the retarded be idiots forum ran by idiots.

Here's the catch, if something in Everything Else seems just garbage, don't be surprised if it winds up in the Cirno's room where it can get picked apart.  This is intentional, as we do not want to condone "spam" and harbor it, so if something seems too stupid it'll get moved somewhere where no laws exist.  Janitors and mods have the power to do so, and just like before Idiot Maidens only have power within Cirno's room, so they can only destroy you if you end up in there.

Oh and we made the delete thread open so that people can be embarrased by the shit that gets posted and deemed too terrible to even mock.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:44:01 AM by TheStupidOne »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 07:48:01 AM »
What's the conditions for Private Messaging now? Mutual Buddies is a given, are the rest blocked by default?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 07:54:57 AM »
Kojiro: It is VERY unlikely anything remotely related to the "waifu" series of topics will be migrated. We only planned on migrating important stickies, which is done outside of Danmakufu because I don't know shit about what goes on in there and someone already made an FAQ topic.
It is no longer a waifu thread anymore but more like a RPG thread without the creepy previous stuff. Or is that still no reason for trying to ask for migration?

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 07:56:10 AM »
Here's the distinction, Everything Else is a chill offtopic place for nonserious discussion, like bitch on the internet/post your fridge threads, etc.  The Outside World forum is a place for serious and meaningful discussion on real world topics, like say a real anime discussion thread, or a current events thing, etc.  And Cirno's Math Class is the retarded be idiots forum ran by idiots.

Here's the catch, if something in Everything Else seems just garbage, don't be surprised if it winds up in the Cirno's room where it can get picked apart.  This is intentional, as we do not want to condone "spam" and harbor it, so if something seems too stupid it'll get moved somewhere where no laws exist.  Janitors and mods have the power to do so, and just like before Idiot Maidens only have power within Cirno's room, so they can only destroy you if you end up in there.

Oh and we made the delete thread open so that people can be embarrased by the shit that gets posted and deemed too terrible to even mock.

On this, does that mean there will be a new selection of Idiot maidens?

Also, the last bit, you did that to hurt me didn't you?

Also, apparently I can't PM you.

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 08:01:05 AM »
Congratulations to the admin and everyone else who've worked hard on this.

Hopefully a fresh start will allow you to create the better forum you had envisaged. I try to refrain from giving suggestions, being new, but I think now is as timely as ever as it's a fresh new slate and I'm sure everyone wants to work had to make it the best forum it could be. I've had some experience of foruming, moderating, and being an administrator myself, so here's my humble 2 cents -

1) If you don't like trolls and spam, crack down on them. Hire trustworthy people to handle the task if need be.
2) You realize that if you create forums for troll and spam posts, like the old Idiot Central (I think there are new versions of that on this forum...) you are thus tolerating and fostering such behaviour. Even if the purpose of these forums is to isolate them in one place, the behaviour will inadvertently spread to other public parts of the forum.
3) In relation to number 2, if you must have such forums, then make sure such behaviour is isolated there. Crack down on trolling and spamming in other parts of the board.
4) Impose warning levels on people who violate the rules.
5) Need a standard on posts? People like idle banter and jokes. I believe that should be fine. However, disrespectful and pointless posts shouldn't be allowed. Arguments should be backed up with reason. If one disagrees with something, one should give a legitimate explanation as to why. Posting things like 'your idea's terrible, go away' is discouraging, useless, and doesn't offer constructive feedback. And, off course, spamming and trolling, that goes without saying.
6) Off topicness should only be tolerated up to an extent. Tell people to go start a new thread if a topic becomes completely derailed by an off-topic conversation.
7) Careful with which threads you sticky. The old forum had many threads stickied, some weren't even all that important. They take up a lot of space on the front page and reflect badly on the moderating team. So only sticky rules, guides, and topics that are sufficiently important.
8 ) Sharing of NSFW material over public sections of the forum reflects badly on the forum as a whole. I know some members here prefer freedom to share such material. However, all the same, it brings down the forum's standards whether you like it or not. Share it privately over PMs and whatnot, or, if need be, create a hidden forum for it that requires special member access. Just keep it out of the public areas.

End of rant. I apologize for the rant but I think it's better to prevent than fix. Good luck with the new forum. I wish you all the best.

Anyhow, I see there's still animosity against our fanfiction RPGs. That's fine. If it's all right with everyone, I'll manually transfer everything onto a new thread here (and keep the use of the 'w' word to an absolute minimum). Is that all right? 

EDIT: If yes, where should I post the new threads? Fanworks section as before? Or back to UGW as it was before they were moved?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:15:59 AM by Mind-The-Gap »

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »
2) You realize that if you create forums for troll and spam posts, like the old Idiot Central (I think there are new versions of that on this forum...) you are thus tolerating and fostering such behaviour. Even if the purpose of these forums is to isolate them in one place, the behaviour will inadvertently spread to other public parts of the forum.
No, it will not, and if it does, it will be handled. I dare use Bemanistyle as an example. It's a rhythm game forum that is actually looked at and utilized by actual companies like Andamiro, Pentavision, and Konami, so it's pretty legitimate as far as forums go. However, we have a place there called Forum Boredom where lots of ridiculous nonsense takes place. When Forum Boredom leaks (which has happened), harsh punishment is dealt to the users. There is a mutual understanding that is made between places like Cirno's Classroom and the rest of the forum, and if anyone wants to break that, we can and will ensure that they will be taken care of and will no longer have the privilege of posting on these forums. Period.

As for the rest of your post, we know how to run a forum. Don't lecture us.

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 09:18:29 AM »
No, it will not, and if it does, it will be handled. I dare use Bemanistyle as an example. It's a rhythm game forum that is actually looked at and utilized by actual companies like Andamiro, Pentavision, and Konami, so it's pretty legitimate as far as forums go. However, we have a place there called Forum Boredom where lots of ridiculous nonsense takes place. When Forum Boredom leaks (which has happened), harsh punishment is dealt to the users. There is a mutual understanding that is made between places like Cirno's Classroom and the rest of the forum, and if anyone wants to break that, we can and will ensure that they will be taken care of and will no longer have the privilege of posting on these forums. Period.

As for the rest of your post, we know how to run a forum. Don't lecture us.

Calm down, point (3) of my suggestions said the exact same thing.

And I'm not lecturing, just giving humble suggestions. I'm new here. I wouldn't dare lecture people here. The last forum had an entire thread lamenting how terrible things were so I thought it'd be best to give ideas on how to prevent that happening here.

If I may be so bold, it's that sort of closed attitude towards the thoughts and opinions of others that can prove detrimental to the community. It's not like I enjoy writing suggestions. They take time and careful thought and people do it because they care about this community. I know lots of people gripe and moan but sometimes some people stop to give constructive feedback. Don't let the griping and moaning drown out the good constructive criticism. We all need it to develop further and overcome previous flaws, after all.