~Beyond the Border~ > Akyu's Arcade
Pokemon Sword and Shield
<< < (3/10) > >>
Raikaria:

--- Quote from: Reddyne on March 01, 2019, 03:59:23 PM ---The only devil's advocate argument I can come up with in support of random battles is that non-random ones have a passive, static approach to them. You reach a new area and squat, waiting for a list of mons to show up. It's always only a matter of time and maybe weaving around other pokeys before you reach a target. There's a lack of tension and surprise, plus you don't have any input on when/where that rare pokey shows up. Then again, that goes with random battles too. I'm OK with random battles because it's what I've come to expect after 20+ years with these games, but there should be some kind of modifiers so that it's easier to hunt down the rarer ones, especially once you've caught/fought enough common pokeys. Or just give the player some modicum of control over which pokemon show up. Bait, sneaking, grass density, something.

--- End quote ---

Meanwhile I'm happy about random encounters because:

1: It's a hallmark of the genre

2: I do Nuzlocke challenges and those kiiinda don't work when you can pick and choose what you run into.

3: You can turn them off. It's called Repels.
Jq1790:
Counterpoint to the third there: You still dont get the VISIBLE encounters though.

I think it would be cool to have it be a toggleable option so people who like one can do it that way, while people who don't can do it the other and then everyone's happy.

I might be making it sound simpler than it is to do that though and there are probably problems I'm not thinking of with such a thing but hey.  It's all moot anyway since it's gonna be what it's gonna be regardless, I suppose.
Raikaria:

--- Quote from: Jq1790 on March 01, 2019, 10:11:30 PM ---I think it would be cool to have it be a toggleable option so people who like one can do it that way, while people who don't can do it the other and then everyone's happy.

--- End quote ---

I would not object to the 'Bravely Default' style either.

Especially if you can turn encounter rate UP for when you want to grind ect.

Specifically I'm not against more control and options. What I don't like is changing things that have been staples for 20 years and forceing that upon everyone. Zubats pestering you in caves are simply iconic to Pokemon, ya'know? Everyone should experience that, even new players.

Options is how you make everyone happy.
commandercool:
Overworld encounters in Let's Go were, as much as this sounds like an exaggeration, fucking magical. Not being constantly bothered by Zubats was nice, but the real reason it was so good was just how alive it made the world feel. I've been imagining what a real Mt Moon would look like since I played Pokemon Blue, and Let's Go sort of gave me a plausible version of that. It's so much more fun to walk through a cave that feels like an ecosystem and not an RPG dungeon. And man, the fact that the overworld models showed up shiny if the Pokemon is shiny is so cool.  The effect wasn't perfect of course, it was a little crowded and arguably made for passive gameplay sometimes, but I still loved it and am bummed to go back to the old way.

If the reasoning behind getting rid of it is that it just isn't practical to have walkaround models animated for so many Pokemon then fine, but if it's just for nostaaaaalgiaaaa and to cater to the piss kids who review bombed Let's Go then that's pretty disappointing.

Raikaria:

--- Quote from: commandercool on March 02, 2019, 04:57:53 AM ---but if it's just for nostaaaaalgiaaaa

--- End quote ---

On the topic of that...

Can we please not do what Gen 6/7 did and literally shove Kanto down our throats and have blatant Kanto favoritism [More Megas from Kanto than anywhere else, Alolan Formes being Kanto only...]? We just had our second Gen 1 remakes.

Frankly; Genwunners are a small part of the fanbase that spans 20 years. Appeasing just the idiots who can't see past 151 and bash everything else while ignoring the exact same problems with Gen 1 [EG: Bashing Gen 5 for 'inanimates r stoopid' or Trubbish when Gen 1 has Magnemite; Voltorb Muk; ect, and lazy designs like 'It's just Three Digletts'], which is a small amount of the people from the first 2 years of the franchise, is a little silly.

I mean, not saying 'Have no Kanto stuff'. Just give it fair representation and don't shaft the other 6 Generations [Or even Gen 8!] just to give it more limelight.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version