Author Topic: [Art] Pato's Re-Established Art Office  (Read 23280 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: [Art] Pato's Re-Established Art Office
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2012, 02:43:40 AM »
So have I ever mentioned how much I hate this alleged holiday? Because I do....
This illustration is well-done, agreeing a lot with your post here as well. Good use of shading on the face and neck; could have had a bit more on the rest of the body, but the stylistic differences between the masses and the dissident is still contrasting enough to get the point across.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2012, 05:34:25 AM »
This illustration is well-done, agreeing a lot with your post here as well. Good use of shading on the face and neck; could have had a bit more on the rest of the body, but the stylistic differences between the masses and the dissident is still contrasting enough to get the point across.
Thanks for the mini-critique! I'll keep that in mind for any other rants of hatred I may have to come or just general shading. On a semi-related note, two people posted in my thread before I posted an update! It's amazing~!  :V

With that in mind, let's look at this girl here that goes by the name of Rachael "Ryan" Tantomei. (last name subject to change, because it sounds silly) Now, when I came up with this character, I had previously watched most of, if not all, of the Kara no Kyoukai anime movies. I'll give you three guesses as to who was the inspiration, and the first two guesses don't count. Despite the inspiration point, I had changed her personality so that she acted like a tomboy. Also, she tends to be a bit of a murderer, but don't mind that.

And yeah, I also started and finished FMA Brotherhood recently. Could this possibly be another spark of my so-called inspiration? Alright, you can call me a copycat all you want, but I did some research behind this one so that I at least SOME sort of legitimacy behind this recent design for a pre-existing/borrowed character made by a friend and guildie of mine.

There was one more sketchbook page looking at a character I posted a while back, but I won't link it directly here, because it's kinda spoilers and kinda gruesome. It's on my Photobucket, though.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2012, 05:14:29 AM »
Small update, because I did not use my intersession week very well, other than for helping my mother move into her new house, which I ended up being quite a decent help within. I digress. Here, have a lazy college senior.

N-no, not me. I'm a lazy college FRESHMAN. I'm talking about the "meme." I only call it a meme because I forget the other possible name that will evade anger.

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2012, 02:58:06 AM »
I bet you thought I was all anime-like drawings and all that, didn't you? I decided to do a pencil sketch for a concept I want to do for my most recent project. For those who care to know, the project requires me to make a mixed media work on 15x20 illustration board using three textures and twenty-seven colours: Three different hues and their complementary hues, each of their tints, tones and shades, as well as each complementary set's chroma. Other than the fact that it sounds mind-numbingly difficult to put together, I like it thus far for the creativity boundaries that barely exist.

The face is what annoys me the most. I can't seem to get it right, regardless of how I try.

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »
Despite this coming week being quite hellish as far as what I need to finish and hand in, I seem to have been able to find the time to get this sketched out.

Yeah, this is pretty inspired too, but at least it's mostly reality this time. The other bit is actually from Lost Saga, which has a character from Special Forces, so it's pretty much just copying the copycats, y'know...

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2012, 09:35:55 PM »
So since the college year's end is just around the corner, I've got a small update, but compared to all the other updates, that's normal sized.

Maybe I should get back to actually writing Imperishable Dream sometime soon. I should also think about getting a better (and probably shorter) title for it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:36:13 PM by Patorikku »

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2012, 01:22:02 AM »
Decided to post my current progress on my class project I mentioned earlier. Thus far, I'd say it's only about 32% complete. I did the bare skin with chalk pastels and everything else that's completed(?) with the most unholy medium that is gouache.

I still need to get the hands coloured, which I skipped doing for some reason or another, and the background is probably going to be filled with chromas. I kinda wanna redo the hair, but it's a pain in the ass to use gouache to begin with. I know what I'm doing with the lower body, though, which I'll get to doing tomorrow. Anatomy-wise, I overdid the size of his pecs and under-did the size of the abdomen.

So yeah, all in all, I use more than just pencils and digital. Hurray!

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2012, 01:35:53 AM »
Wow. Chalk pastels are a pain in the ass to use (Well, for me, anyways.), but the skin colors are looking really great there!

I can see what you mean with the hair; it looks a bit flat to me.
Derp Edit: Seeing as he has short hair, I would have probably put in short, individual strokes with the pastels to give it that feel of short-ish hair.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:37:43 AM by Aoshi-shi »
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2012, 08:15:13 PM »
Since graphite and coloured pencils are my main medium, I don't really touch such things as chalk pastels or gouache or acrylic paints, (though to be fair, acrylic is my main wet medium) but I'd say that this work turned out nicely. This was yesterday's work on it...

... wherein I added the clothing colours and actually worked on the hands, and here...

... is today's work and what is probably the finished work. I tried to make the hair appear more three-dimensional by using white and black coloured pencil on the gouache, however the end results may vary. I tried throwing in the chromas of my three complementary pairs together as the background, but that didn't work so well because I quite plainly suck at landscapes and backgrounds. If there's one thing that I will keep to photographic work, it's landscapes. The work still appears kinda rough around the edges, and I might touch it up a bit to fix that, but other than that, I'm relatively pleased with what I have.

I should've posted progress on my projects more often during the year.  I realize that now, since I could've gotten some good critiques on the work. I digress. Semester's almost over, and albeit idiots at the dorm, I'm just about free. Two and a half more weeks of whips being cracked at my back, and I get to relax for at least a few days before I try to snatch up a part-time job for the next year, as well as a business fundamentals course at a campus that's within 5 miles of my home. I'll probably post some sketchbook updates after Easter weekend, or maybe a few of my other projects that I've done over the term.

I should get a blog.

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2012, 01:32:33 AM »

So yeah, I'm a big fan of both Avatar: The Last Airbender, and naturally the sequel, the Legend of Korra, is pretty big on my list. So Ima just leave a sketch of miss main character here.

Oh look at that, I didn't go on for several lines about the sketch. Oh snap.

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2012, 02:32:46 AM »
Sorry I don't have any visual updates to bring around, but I am proud to announce that I have passed at least a majority of my classes. Ten of them, at the very least. I've never failed anything before that's not a practical driving test, (to this day, I still blame the hours right before the test spent on practicing and preparing, which I never do for any other tests) and if I fail the remaining two classes, it's not gonna be too nice for me, but I have a feeling I'll escape failure, if only narrowly so.

Instead of some silly drawings to look at, have some silly music to listen to. I've probably toyed around with this for a few months now, and I'm still not done with it.

So here, listen well. Feedback would be appreciated, and if you have any idea where I can go with it, do tell. I'm having fun with this composing stuff.

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2012, 03:44:50 AM »
Alright, since last update was a little silly, have some actual notes on stuff. To be fair, I know next to nothing on the subject of prosthetics, and therefore anything that I make that connects to the subject should not be taken too literally. This is purely for the sake of fiction work, and if you try and make it into something real, I will find you and fire rainbow lasers into your eyes.

Noidontknowwhatimonaboutlookattheprettysketchesalready!

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
So one thing I've noticed throughout the last little while is that I was absolutely absurdly sucky two/three years ago. I mean it, I look back at those 2:5 head ratio things and I can't help but think, "I want to toss myself through a window right now." Not just because it'd look epic from any other angle, but out of hatred, too. Hindsight and I have a complicated love/hate relationship because of stuff like this: we love to hate one another. What, you think I was actually good back then? I was just developing? Well, lemme just pull something up from the depths of my Photobucket and we'll see just how that is.

Now, contrast. Not compare and contrast, just contrast, because really, there's not enough to compare.

I dunno if it's fair to judge by my current standards, though, because even throughout the past month or two, I've actually managed to become notably better at proportions and such.

Actually, this kinda reminds me that I should get back to the visual novel project, and now I'm thinking I should redo all the poses, and possibly the CG, too.

[HJD]Red_Herring

• Having a bad case of life, can't help it.
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »
It has been a long time since I left a reply at your thread. About what you said about yourself 2-3  years ago, I could not pass up the opportunity  of leaving few worlds. I feel the exactly same way as you do; whenever I manage to find some old drawings that I did about 3,4 years ago, I feel strong urge of gouge my eyeballs out. Nonetheless, when you think this as a part of getting better at it, it is not so bad. I remember Inoue Takehiko (author of Slam Dunk series and Vagabond) saying making progress in drawing is like whipping yourself as hard as you can or something like that. I find those words to be very true.  Also when you have some free time on you, try to look up the artist who goes by the pen-name of Ishikei; you will realize Darwin's theory of revolution can hold itself true and right even in the area of manga-drawing! So, in short, there is nothing to be ashamed of your past drawing. In addition, you seem to have the drive to get better at it. So, keep it up and make your hands busy as always.

ps. Just came to my mind, about Ishikei, be prepared to face a lot of NSFW materials. It is strongly advisable to make that search during the private hours.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:41:41 PM by [HJD]Red_Herring »

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2012, 02:33:53 AM »
Most of what you've mentioned is actually how I usually feel about my work, especially the whole Darwinism angle. Honestly, I think my work is evolution on overdrive, since my style evolves so rapidly and makes itself more detailed and accurate by the month, it seems. I guess this drive you've mentioned that I don't tend to believe in myself has been a big part of this, so I'll keep at it and keep pushing forward as you've recommended!

In other news, I'm horrible at updating.  :V  At the moment, because I ended up staying at my father's house longer than I had originally expected, I have nothing recent scanned. Most of it, I'd rather not have scanned anyway. I have done a variety of work over the few days, such as helping my father put down wood flooring, composing some fun, kinda-jazzy moosic, and rethinking my plans for the next year or so, such as going into the Winter/Spring 2013 semester classes for Game Development at George Brown rather than taking the year off.

So yeah, as a half-apology for not updating, have plenty of half-finished half-moosics that have a lot more than half of my effort poured into each one of them! Or at least most of them.

ruikomatsu

• Let's fire it up.
  • Would you like some tea?
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »

So yeah, I'm a big fan of both Avatar: The Last Airbender, and naturally the sequel, the Legend of Korra, is pretty big on my list. So Ima just leave a sketch of miss main character here.

Oh look at that, I didn't go on for several lines about the sketch. Oh snap.

All my love for Korra
The DotS thread is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaad ; w ;

Pixiv     |     My Other Deviantart     |     Tumblr     |    MyAnimeList

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2012, 04:00:40 AM »
You know, I just thought of something, and I can't be the only one who thought this: Lighten Korra's skin a tad, let her hair at the back down depending on your choice of game, and Miko-icize her outfit, and you might just recognize a bit of someone else we all know and donate to.

Right, moving down the line, I decided to actually update on time because that's a good thing to do. First off, remember that snake guy that I listed as a minor character? Of course you don't, but I thought I'd check first. Soren Slange is from a danish line of assassins that were modified into beastmen somewhere down the line. Probably voluntarily, too. I dunno if it's what his parents taught him or if he's just plain insane on his own, but Soren is nuts. He enjoys kicking ass in a way you probably shouldn't enjoy kicking ass, and claims that killing is its own reward.

So if you couldn't guess yet, he's kind of an antagonist and The Dragon to The Big Bad.

Also, mini-comic done in my "I only did this for the lulz" fashion, as I do everything.

"The morning is evil."

[HJD]Red_Herring

• Having a bad case of life, can't help it.
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2012, 04:32:45 AM »
I guess you are busy nowadays as I can see some works done in haste. It is good thing that you are quite prolific, but on same time, it is good once in a while to put everything you have in a single drawing. I know that would be exhaustive, but hey, they say the results are sweeter when the waiting gets longer. Still, I do enjoy seeing your work! Keep those hands busy.

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2012, 06:02:59 PM »
Put everything I have into a single drawing, huh? Jeez, I actually forget the last time I legitimately did that, albeit perhaps a project or two in college and some of my life drawing stuff. Shame I don't have those life drawings on me, because I'd definitely post those if I d-- Oh hang on they're nude models, I'm not allowed to do that. In that case, what I'll try to do over the next few weeks is the following, to try and get my hand back in shape: I've noticed that I don't colour a lot of my work, which is definitely something I should do. I've also noticed that I haven't touched the Visual Novel project since about the start of my second semester. That's why I'm going to attempt to draw both a character pose for the VN project as well as draw and colour a character of my own. That way, I might be able to actually finish the VN project and stop being a slacker about it, and at the same time I can give some colour detail on my own creations for both my own and for any interested persons'... interest. Yeah. I'm not gonna post them daily, because people are going to get tired of seeing my thread at the top of the list daily. (if they're not tired of its bi-weekly revival already) I'll shoot for weekly or every five days.

But for now, a small update on the guy I like to call "A shameless self-insert."

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
This plan is working out better than I expected. Here, have three pics right now. I'll toss in a fourth after I edit it a bit.

A tad light, I admit. I should've edited the contrast a bit. I also have a problem with Reimu and fitting the entire page. :V

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2012, 01:39:22 AM »
Gahhh, both of your Reimus are absolutely adorable~
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2012, 09:26:37 PM »
Gahhh, both of your Reimus are absolutely adorable~
Well, I do try to keep my Reimus cute when I can...  :blush:

Alright, so I got together the work I got done in the last four days. The coloured works of my own characters? I've only got one actually coloured, and I still wanna fix it up a tad before I say it's actually good. But hey, I'm posting it anyway because I said I would at some point.

And here we have some more cut-ins. Personally, I dunno if I like the Hourais...

And as an added bonus, the work on the second page of OC nonsense!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:54:29 AM by Patorikku »

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2012, 01:21:22 AM »
Bwaugh... Got a job at the local KFC as a cook, and my manager has been working me back-to-back closing shifts. This wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't nocturnal and did most of my work at night time like the scrub I am. So yeah, I've gone and thrown myself completely off-schedule from that. Crappiest reason to toss myself off schedule ever, really.

So what I'm gonna leave is yet another MIDI. And a link to my Mediafire in case I haven't done that already, so all those who care can download swiftly and listen to all my silly little compositions.

Here's the particular song, and-- Oh wait how the hell do I even get a link to the rest aw hell.

Alright, scratch that jazz, but have fun with that other MIDI. I should note that I rather like Daisuke Ishiwatari and base myself off him a lot, (if I can) so be prepared for that. I guess.

Okay, with that out of the way, more coloured stuff.

It's come to my attention that I should put names under the actual characters for those who are interested. I guess I'll do that with the final draft.

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2012, 03:34:14 AM »
I should stop being lazy.  :|

Alright, so I tossed together a bunch of sketchbook stuff that has either material I'm actually gonna use in my work, or is just for the hell of it. Actually, I think I'm using it all, albeit Patty in Noel Vermillion's uniform. Definitely not using that.

I know I didn't mention it on the page, but for those that care, the Eye of the Philosopher only really activates as a compensation for eyesight in people who have SPOILERS due to the SPOILERS SPOILERS. There are probably variations of it somewhere in-universe, but I felt I needed to justify all the glowy-eye nonsense I was doing with Rachel and Patty.

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2012, 03:16:28 AM »
Alright, I know I'm super-late on this update, but I didn't really get much done that seemed worth uploading. Nothing, that is, until now!

School-related plans: I am now 99.9% certain that I want to apply for the Game Development program at George Brown College in Toronto, the same college that I went to this last year, and while I'm not sure if I'll need it, (since I was in a course that has links to Game Development) I am preparing a portfolio of work for it, which includes 3 traditional and 2 digital works as well as an idle and action pose for a character from a commercial game. While I'm not particularly sure about any Touhou game counting, I am certain that Blazblue counts, which is why I drew Noel Vermillion in her new Chrono Phantasma gear in two separate poses that (mostly) match the criteria of the last part. As for the traditional and digital, I think I have enough in stock, but in case I'm not satisfied with what I have, I want to ask you guys for possible digital works that I should send in, mainly because you are my main audience and I think you should see something you want in here at some point. A coloured character, some quick sprite animation, just name it and I'll see if I can pull it off.

And now it's time for the show~!

So yeah, if you're a Noel Vermillion player or a big enough fan, you can probably name the move Noel's pulling off in the second image. For those of you who never got a chance to play Calamity Trigger, I just re-drew her character select pose as best as I could with her new outfit. On the note of her outfit, am I the only one in love with it without thinking of her as showing off too much skin? Might be the whole me being quite fabulous thing, but...

Yeah moving on.

More concept art-type stuff! Because you definitely haven't had enough of that!

Merp

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2012, 05:23:05 AM »
Alright, I know I'm super-late on this update, but I didn't really get much done that seemed worth uploading. Nothing, that is, until now!

School-related plans: I am now 99.9% certain that I want to apply for the Game Development program at George Brown College in Toronto, the same college that I went to this last year, and while I'm not sure if I'll need it, (since I was in a course that has links to Game Development) I am preparing a portfolio of work for it, which includes 3 traditional and 2 digital works as well as an idle and action pose for a character from a commercial game. While I'm not particularly sure about any Touhou game counting, I am certain that Blazblue counts, which is why I drew Noel Vermillion in her new Chrono Phantasma gear in two separate poses that (mostly) match the criteria of the last part. As for the traditional and digital, I think I have enough in stock, but in case I'm not satisfied with what I have, I want to ask you guys for possible digital works that I should send in, mainly because you are my main audience and I think you should see something you want in here at some point. A coloured character, some quick sprite animation, just name it and I'll see if I can pull it off.

And now it's time for the show~!

Oh man you went to George Brown :v do you know any1 from the design program named Kirill Popov or Paul Lapkin? also DYNAMICS

So yeah, if you're a Noel Vermillion player or a big enough fan, you can probably name the move Noel's pulling off in the second image. For those of you who never got a chance to play Calamity Trigger, I just re-drew her character select pose as best as I could with her new outfit. On the note of her outfit, am I the only one in love with it without thinking of her as showing off too much skin? Might be the whole me being quite fabulous thing, but...

Yeah moving on.

More concept art-type stuff! Because you definitely haven't had enough of that!
Assemblage of egregious drama queens

Pixiv  Deviantart  Livestream  Art Thread

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2012, 05:46:35 AM »
Oh man you went to George Brown :v do you know any1 from the design program named Kirill Popov or Paul Lapkin? also DYNAMICS

Actually, I was in the Art and Design Foundation program, which was a 1-year thing that opens up to the Graphic Design and Game Development programs. While it's totally possible that I was in the same building as them, I barely interacted with the people in my own program, let alone those outside of it. I take the usual anti-social quality and turn it up to eleven in the real world. It's a mix of the terminal shy and the lone wolf syndrome. I should probably see a doctor about those...

Merp

« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2012, 05:49:55 AM »
Just wondering because i probably bumped into you at some point hoho
Assemblage of egregious drama queens

Pixiv  Deviantart  Livestream  Art Thread

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2012, 05:33:33 AM »
Oh jeez, why have I not updated? I am quite the bad thread holder.  :blush:

I dunno if I stood out much at the School of Design, but if you saw a teenager who wore a suit vest over top of a striped dark-grey shirt with rolled-up sleeves or just a cool blazer-jacket type thing, that would've been me. I wore a cool cap-like black hat during the wintertime. Come to think of it, I HAD to stand out. Everyone else just wore tee-shirts and affordable clothing all the time, and here I am wearing my fanciest clothes like a prep! :V  Also, I was a loudmouth of insane proportions at times, so if you did encounter me, you probably kept your distance for your own safety.

ALRIGHT, now for some actual content, because if you did meander into this thread, you'll at least want to see some cute little thumbnails or links to nice music bits or something!

So you've seen all these little concept sketches and all that fun stuff about "Oh hey it's some original characters for some original story" from me. If you haven't already guessed, I'm pretty serious about this series, despite never getting written or legit drawn work out in the open for the last year or so. I probably could be on chapter 16 or up if I actually worked on the writing... So now what I've done with that fun stuff is put it together in a more structured format in a book actually focused on fleshing out how the characters look, some of their physical statistics, and stuff that'd make them into half-decent fighting game characters if I was even half the game programmer I needed to be for that sort of deal. If you couldn't make heads or tails of the stuff I posted before, then hopefully this'll make more sense. HOPEFULLY.

So yeah, you saw that attempt at a landscape there. Pretty mediocre, right? That's what happens when you free-hand straight ledges, but I digress, since this is just a segway. While I was in the Art and Design Foundation program, I did some photography work and found that while my portraits were pretty mediocre, my landscapes seemed to please me greatly. I mean, I'm not saying they're good or amazing or anything like that, because I can't have an ego for the life of me, but considering I didn't like photography before that course, I was rather pleased by my ability to take landscape photos. I'm not gonna post them here since this thread is more of a drawing/digital/moosic sort of thread, but I will have them uploaded on my Photobucket so that people actually interested can take a look.

I also would post some more music as an apology for being this bloody late, but the only new thing I have is my own little remix of EMIYA and some completely incomplete work. It's not that good of an EMIYA remix, because if I tried to make something out of gold like that, it'd just be bronze by the end of it, but I might upload it later just because I myself enjoyed toying with things and stuff to make a silly remix that probably steered a bit too far off course.

By the way, from you musical types that have composed plenty of tracks before, you probably know what makes a rhythm track work well, so is it alright if I ask that you share your knowledge in the ways of the drum beats?

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2012, 02:27:40 AM »
Alright, like I said last update, I was probably going to end up uploading my silly little remix of EMIYA. I did that, AND figured out how to link multiple items on Mediafire. I didn't figure it out before because I am a derp. So yeah, here's the link to the musicstuffs that you may or may not have been waiting for.

With that out of the way, I've also got some more recent work, one of which I shall be attempting to complete for my portfolio for getting back into college this January. I'm a pretty big fan of the Persona series, (particularly Persona 3) and naturally draw inspiration from it in the same way as I do everything else that I like. So what I shall show right now is the lineart and where I'm pretty much at now.

I seem to have developed a liking for tartan-patterned pants.

And lastly, some more "I got bored and decided to just play around with stuff" stuff.