Author Topic: My Hero Academia: Two Heroes  (Read 11608 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
My Hero Academia: Two Heroes
« on: October 07, 2018, 01:21:15 AM »
Anybody see the Hero Academia movie? My favorite local theater was supposed to have a few showings last week but they've been adding more and more throughout this week because they all keep consistently selling out.

I liked it a lot. It's still an anime filler movie, there's a fair amount of summarizing, nothing that happened in it will probably ever be referenced again, and a lot of the plot revolves around new characters we've never heard of, but it's fun and reasonably smart in a way I've come to except from MHA.

The plot touches on some themes that I think are super interesting and almost wish had been a larger focus (specifically the idea that people without quirks aren't necessarily pitiful or tragic, they're disadvantaged but still capable of as much as anyone else). I saw it a second time this week though and thought it felt a lot more thematically complete, it's subtle but satisfying.

Also not enough Froppy so 2/10 nobody should see it kero kero. :D
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Drake

Re: My Hero Academia: Two Heroes
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 03:55:34 AM »
melissa a bes

Definitely a bit disappointed with the amount of flashbacks, summaries, need to throw in every classmate, introduce them all, give them some basic amount of "haha this is their character everyone let's go through all the beats" fanservice, etc. Plenty of people in the theater seemed to love that, but like damn I've been watching anime since forever I can see what you're doing guys. The way the movie was introduced it seemed like it was going to be more limited in active cast and structured around those few, but it's a movie for a popular shounen series so I really shouldn't have expected anything else.

One of the main reasons I watched it was for the film-tier-effort animation, and in that respect I'm pretty happy with the production levels from Bones but damn if that final sequence wasn't an exhausting onslaught that they probably could've paced out better. I also noticed they seemed to be way more forgiving of shots that would totally obliterate otherwise regular humans here, but I can't really fault them much for rule of cool

still fun i liked it

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 05:42:11 AM »
One of the main reasons I watched it was for the film-tier-effort animation, and in that respect I'm pretty happy with the production levels from Bones but damn if that final sequence wasn't an exhausting onslaught that they probably could've paced out better. I also noticed they seemed to be way more forgiving of shots that would totally obliterate otherwise regular humans here, but I can't really fault them much for rule of cool

Yeah, I have a buddy who just got back the theater and texted me to complain that when
Spoiler:
All Might blew up that helicopter none of the villains died despite the huge fiery explosion
but like, there's a certain point where you just have to accept that there's anime logic at work and go with it. If you're going to have a problem with that then I feel like you kind of have to have a problem with basically every single thing that happens in the last twenty minutes not killing Melissa and all of the less sturdy UA kids. Suspension of disbelief can't be infinite, but when really cool shit is happening and you're watching a series that you know has flexible rules then I think it's fair to stretch it pretty far.

Drake

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 06:16:33 AM »
Spoiler:
Yeah he just took it out and internally I was like "well they're dead now"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 06:18:41 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:46:41 PM »
To be fair,
Spoiler:
If anyone can just blow up a helicopter and not murder anyone inside of it, it's All Might.

I went to see this movie with two real good homies, and we had a blast. I agree it's a typical anime movie, which means it's full of stuff that we'll probably never hear of again. And yeah, too much flashbacks, but it's necessary for people who just walked into the theatre so I put up with it. I admit, I was amused by the fact that
Spoiler:
everyone showed up for no goddamn reason. Especially Shiro and Sato and the other C-teamers, where they didn't even bother to start to explain why they were there. Shame that Mineta got to be one of the people do to things, rather than Sato or someone else cool.

That said, I actually kinda liked Wolfram. He didn't seem like an overwhelming global threat you usually see in spin off movies, he was low tier enough to fit in without being a previously known quantity. I mean, afterwards there will be the problem of "Why don't they ever talk about this?", but that aside it all feels like slides in more or less neatly.
Spoiler:
I assume that because Deku never contacts Melissa about suit building, she was disgraced by association and more or less fell off the map.
That said, what really made the movie fun for me was
Spoiler:
the last minute revelation that All for One dipped his fingers into this just to make All Might's life miserable.
When that dropped, pretty much the whole theatre when "Oh shit!". Including me and my two homies. And I admit I grinned like a dope when that leitmotif played. Also, I really appreciate (Season 4 spoiler)
Spoiler:
That they hinted ahead of time that quirk enhancing drugs are a thing. That'll be a fun thing for people who don't read the manga to chew on.

Also, I need yalls to back me up. David Shields is totally Dr. Cossack. The moment I saw him, I was like, "Holy shit, it's Dr Cossack!"

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 10:33:47 PM »
I mean, afterwards there will be the problem of "Why don't they ever talk about this?", but that aside it all feels like slides in more or less neatly.
Spoiler:
I assume that because Deku never contacts Melissa about suit building, she was disgraced by association and more or less fell off the map.

I just assumed
Spoiler:
they pinned it all on Wolfram and Dave just basically got away with it. But I guess it doesn't help that Wolfram and associates survived...