Author Topic: Ask a Staffer Catch-22: Ask me things! Sakura Rurouni  (Read 85312 times)

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
Re: Ask a Staffer Catch-22: Ask me things!
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »
How much is too much?

Night or day, and why?

What's the craziest outfit you've ever worn, and why were you wearing it?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »
What is the biological difference between a crow and a raven?

« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2011, 03:10:03 PM »
What's your preferred breakfast?

Are the things that got you into Touhou the same ones that got you into Sakura Taisen?

What are your thoughts on fanservice in anime and other works? Is it ever necessary or well-done in your opinion?

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2011, 08:27:02 PM »
You suddenly have the opportunity to be an archaeologist! Where would you want to explore first, and what would you hope to find?
In the case that you do find something, what would you do with it?

Scenario: You are grocery shopping in the middle of winter. In the corner of your eye, you happen to see a worried-looking young parent and his/her obviously sick-looking child stuffing small food items and childrens' medicine in their jackets, unable to afford them. What do you do?

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2011, 06:04:48 AM »
(I deeply resent the notion that I absolutely have to like every character. Just because I understand Yukari doesn't mean I like her any.)

'sallright, I hate Koishi. BV

I hate to find myself in the unpleasant position of defending Columbus on anything, but why does he get denied the 'discovery' of the Americas (which was always there) and Franklin Watson and Crick get to 'discover' the molecular structure of DNA (which was also always there)? I don't get it.

I think it's mostly because we have enough evidence to say that he wasn't the first European (hell, some think that the Chinese may have beat him here) to arrive in the Americas.

What do you think of fighting games, both with and without Ryougi Shiki in their rosters? :3

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2011, 06:10:51 AM »
Kay~
Aww damnit. :P

What US figure do you think is most despicable, living and dead?
Laconic: I dunno.
Regular: There's a whole lot of US figures I despise, but none of them stand out overmuch (and before you ask, I tend to think of Dubya as more stupid than evil). Saint Ronnie is high on that list, though... well, there's definitely one. Theodore Roosevelt. Fuck his Roosevelt Corollary and his domineering bullshit in Latin America. But mostly I hate him because even though some other presidents have done awful things and been appropriately demonized for it (Andrew Jackson), Theodore Roosevelt still gets a free pass from history enthusiasts in the States for being so badass, complete with gushing praises and everything. It's sickening.

What US figure do you think is bestest, living and dead?
Laconic: Myself.
Regular: I really like FDR, but I'm afraid that this is going to have to go to Emperor Norton I. So awesome.

Have you made plans to have sloppy makeouts in front of the Focus on the Family

HQ with a ladyfriend of your choice yet?
Laconic: Once K4U answers my phone calls, it's a date. ^_^v

What US figure gets far too much positive attention, living et al?
Laconic: Theodore Roosevelt and Saint Ronnie.
Regular: See above for Roosevelt, but the right's fanaticism about Ronald Reagan drives me batty. I read his adopted son's column, Michael Reagan's columns, whenever I want to be angry and throw things at the wall.

What US Figure do you think is most unjustly portayed, Dead and yet to be dead?
Laconic: MLK, Jr.
Regular: "Unjustly" doesn't mean wrong in this sense, but it is definitely incomplete. Martin Luther King is portrayed as this great saint of equal rights and respect and peace, and he was all of those. But he was also a labor organizer, an agitator who turned the words of his attackers back on them to expose their hypocrisy, and all other kinds of good stuff that we don't see in the sanitized version of history we hear every Black History Month.

What do you think of the Great Man Theory of history? =D?
Laconic: >:<
Regular: I disdain the exclusive use of that approach, as well as its inherent sexism. That said, there are lots of things to be learned from it regardless. I think it's actually kind of cool to learn about people who show through their actions the strength of individuals to succeed against the tide of the universe by sheer force of personality. But focusing on that theory alone is a really good way to be myopic in your approach to history.

What do you believe was the cause of the Bronze Age Collapse?
Laconic: A mix of various.
Regular: There's never one cause for anything. As I recall, I found natural disasters that led to mass migrations the most credible mix of theories, but that's just me.

Which question, asked so far, have you least wanted to answer?
Regular: In the entire thread so far? Probably what my greatest failure is. In this set of questions? Which US figure is the most despicable, since I get the impression that Roosevelt has a lot of apologists everywhere on the internet, enamoured of his exploits.

:suwakoban:

Any favourite Pixiv artist or work of art you like? Like IzumiNitro / Colonel aki etc ?
Laconic: tag subscriptions:artists
Regular: For artists that are not there and have only recently come to my attention, that would be Dinosaurus Gede and Sherry Lai because oh god great art + history comics = my crack cocaine. And Archlich, because he's Archlich.

Ibara Kasen, is that just another twin-bun girls to please fans in your eyes or an interesting character?
Laconic: Why pick one?
Regular: Her character seems interesting so far! I remember being actually put off by how well her design set off some of my fetishes (particularly bandages, of course), but after reading WaHH chapters, she actually seems like a pretty interesting dudette. Can't wait 'till chapter 6 is scanlated.

You are Shiki Eiki and several MotK members are in front of you for judgement. Judge them.
Regular: Guilty as sin. All of them.
Laconic: Except Lloyd. Moe~

Any instruments you play? Or love to listen to?
Laconic: Not anymore, and most of them.
Regular: I used to play the piano, but have long since dropped the habit (though my hands still remember some of the songs I used to play, which is a little bit weird.) Piano is still a favourite to listen to, however, and... hmm, I can't think of any instruments I actively dislike hearing.

Why do you use Kunrei-shiki?
Laconic: I don't.
Regular: I don't care about the differences between Kunrei-shiki and Hepburn and whatnot. I use a separate system altogether. It is called the "Whatever Looks or Sounds Coolest" system. Which is why it's Aya Syameimaru, Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Sanae Kotiya, Momizi Inubashiri, and Fujiwara no Mokou. There is no consistency other than they all look cooler in my eyes that way.
Also, Hepburn accidentally tends to trigger some weird irrational anger I have against the hard 'ch' sound that you see in, say, Kochiya. I hate the hard 'ch' sound. Hate hate hate. It also makes weekly church services really awkward sometimes.

If you could live your life again, what would you do different?
Laconic: Get away from people who tried to make me feel guilty about things that were not my fault.
Regular: I have an enormous, highly confusing, internally inconsistent guilt complex that surfaces now and again okay, okay, it surfaces pretty often. That said, I can't help but think that even though it's detrimental and has led to so many needless horrors and self-hatred in my life, that it has still helped shaped who I am, warts and all.
Even so, I wouldn't wish this on anyone I loved. If there was some way to avoid this tragic flaw with a repeat of my life, I would do everything in my power to find it.

If you had the chance would you grasp the power to rule the world? Why?
Laconic: Yes.
Regular: It's interesting, because it's so contradictory to my beliefs and hypocritical to my political stances, but I get along really well with the idea of absolute power. For all my love of collectivism and my rejection of excessive personal liberty, too... well, individualists always do just fine in tyrannies, as long as they get to be the tyrants.
But as much as I love the idea, I have the same obection to it as I do the notion that I, being so young and ignorant and hasty and short-sighted, get to claim absolute power over people much smarter, wiser, more benevolent, and more devoted workers than I. It's surreal. Yoko Nakajima's actions as King of Kei in Twelve Kingdoms, though, have made me think of a good middle way: use that power only to protect your people's peace and happiness. Quite a difficult mandate for a mere mortal, but it's a challenge I'd gladly take on.

Dunno if it was asked before, but what special ability you'd like to have?
Laconic: Does immortality count?
Regular: Immortality. And if it doesn't count, then super speed. You don't need strength when you've got the power of inertia!

What non-special ability you'd like to have?
Laconic: Peerless swordmanship.
Regular: I have explained my reasons for the love of swords to Zengar in this thread already~

You said what you don't like about me, so anything good or general impression? ITT everyone is insecure with themselves. :V
Laconic: You have some crazy theories.
Regular: That's a good thing! People who don't have crazy theories are boring. I also like how you reject logic, to be honest. It's not the only way to analyze or learn, after all.

While I like the taste of it in icecreams and other sweets, I actually don't like the strawberry fruit. What do you think? :V
Laconic: That just means more for me.

What should be my next question?
Laconic: "Who are you tsundere for?"

How much is too much?
Laconic: Testing my patience means it's too much.
Regular: I have a lot of patience, and running out of it tends to be a sign that I've been pushed waaaaaaay too far.

Night or day, and why?
Laconic: Night.
Regular: My skewed sleep cycles tend to make me awake at night more often than not. I like the coolness of night better. The day is for exploring, the night is for relaxing.

What's the craziest outfit you've ever worn, and why were you wearing it?
Laconic: Aya cosplay.
Regular: While it's not extravagantly crazy, wearing full Aya cosplay while hopping on the bus to go to an anime convention gets you absolutely hilarious stares from everyone there. Best thing in the world.

What is the biological difference between a crow and a raven?
Regular: In practice-- crows are ravens, but not all ravens are crows. Crows are smaller than most other ravens.
Laconic: Utsuho has bigger boobs.

What's your preferred breakfast?
Laconic: Cereal and fruit.
Regular: Cereal with milk, in point of fact. Cereal is one of only two things that makes milk tolerable, the other being chocolate milk powder. Otherwise, it tastes like slimy water.

Are the things that got you into Touhou the same ones that got you into Sakura Taisen?
Laconic: Yes, mostly.
Regular: Both of them have stacks and stacks of music to their name, and a bunch of good art. But Sakura Taisen's good things are almost all official, whereas in Touhou, good art is on the side of the fandom and good music is split between ZUN's works and fan compositions.

What are your thoughts on fanservice in anime and other works? Is it ever necessary or well-done in your opinion?
Laconic: Not needed.
Regular: I define "fanservice" as sexualization that is completely irrelevant to the story proper, so all of it is by definition unnecessary. If it contributes to the plot, it shouldn't called "fanservice" in the first place-- that usually falls under characterization.

You suddenly have the opportunity to be an archaeologist! Where would you want to explore first, and what would you hope to find? In the case that you do find something, what would you do with it?
Laconic: Hmm, good questions~
Regular: I would pick a random cenote in the Yucat?n, since you can basically grab one at random and find cool stuff down there. All the imperishable things the Maya tossed down as sacrifice to their gods have stayed there, and escaped the looting of the Spanish. I hope to find something gold, since that doesn't rust in water, hopefully something that talked a whole lot about their history. And if I succeeded, I would hand it over to a museum so they could translate it and put it to good use.

Scenario: You are grocery shopping in the middle of winter. In the corner of your eye, you happen to see a worried-looking young parent and his/her obviously sick-looking child stuffing small food items and childrens' medicine in their jackets, unable to afford them. What do you do?
Regular: Follow them through the store, from a distance. If they get caught, then I would run up to them and the person who caught them (probably a rent-a-cop) and promise to pay off everything the parent has taken, then do so. Even if they don't get caught, after they leave the store, I'd catch up to them outside and ask them if they needed help, and if they would allow me to help out, since I know a lot of charities and churches around here that would be more than glad to do just that.

Oh great, ninja post.

'sallright, I hate Koishi. BV
Laconic: Nobody is perfect.

I think it's mostly because we have enough evidence to say that he wasn't the first European (hell, some think that the Chinese may have beat him here) to arrive in the Americas.
Laconic: Fair enough.
Regular: I always did like the less Eurocentric term "encounter", either way.

What do you think of fighting games, both with and without Ryougi Shiki in their rosters? :3
Laconic: Like most other games, they do not hold my interest.
Regular: This is almost certainly because they do not have Ryougi Shiki in their rosters. All fighting games would be several times more awesome with added Ryougi Shiki. MBAC managed to pull it off, though, because they still had someone as sufficiently awesome as V. Akiha on their roster.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2011, 06:47:36 AM »
Jigsaw puzzles: 2D or 3D?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2011, 06:51:00 AM »
Jigsaw puzzles: 2D or 3D?
Laconic: 2D.
Regular: 2D are easier to hang as trophies on my wall. I've seen 3D puzzles in passing, but I've just never done one! BV

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2011, 07:08:17 AM »
Putting aside your dislike of video games, what is your stance on controversially violent video games like Grand Theft Auto?

If you found Kogasa on the side of the road one rainy day, what would the encounter be like? Details, please. :3

On a related note, did anyone ever pick up that straw hat? :ohdear:

Not to oversaturate with questions like these, but what is my worst quality in your opinion?

Who has the best wingz in Touhou?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2011, 07:36:34 AM »
Are the people asking you about themselves instead of yourself getting annoying?

Do you like self-referential humor?

Do you find me annoying?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2011, 08:36:14 AM »
Are you glad I'm not hopping on the "what do you think of me" bandwagon?

What item currently in your possession has the most value to you? (Not monetary value) Why?

If you were given solid proof something terrible could happen to the world if you continued to exist, how would you approach the situation?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2011, 11:23:39 AM »
I also like how you reject logic, to be honest. It's not the only way to analyze or learn, after all.

Well, I actually don't really reject logic that much, I don't reject the "logic of my own", but I reject the "logic of the masses" since sometimes it's really idiotic. The "logic of science" is almost completely incomprehensible to me, so I just say that a fairy did it.

Umm, right, a question.

"Who are you tsundere for?"

:3

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2011, 01:56:46 PM »
Do you think humanity will ever successfully colonize space, or at least launch space mining projects?

« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »
What's your opinion on comic books/graphic novels as a medium?

Fruits and vegetables you'd recommend to someone who's trying to expand their culinary horizons?

Favorite classical composer?

You've mentioned your commitment to pacifism before, but would you use violence to save the life of another if it was necessary?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:08:09 PM by The Aquatic Colossal »

« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »
Is there a reason you became the acolyte of TARC over the other subforums (PSL in particular)?

Who is your favorite journalist and why?

You meet a young woman while abroad, and after talking to her for a while, discover that she had been sold into sexual slavery in her youth. How do you help her escape?

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2011, 03:26:36 PM »
What are your stances on pie and cheesecake?

If it weren't for irony, this statement wouldn't be funny.

You and a close friend are both in the emergency room after being attacked by a serial killer in the alleyway. Luckily, help came before he could finish either of you off, but you are both dangerously low on blood, and the hospital only has enough blood to save one of you. If you had a say in the matter, who would you choose to live?

Wow, I didn't realize how morbid that was until after I typed it.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2011, 08:58:27 PM »
Putting aside your dislike of video games, what is your stance on controversially violent video games like Grand Theft Auto?
Laconic: Oooh, glamorizing violence! My favourite!
Regular: I loathe them, but I'm conflicted. I have so many friends who are gamers and try to convince me that they don't inherently encourage violence on sheer virtue of containing violence. And certainly War and Peace, written by Tolstoy (a comitted pacifist), didn't mean he was loony and warmongering. But there is a lot to be said for desensitization.
On the other hand, there is H.G. Wells' observation that "war games" are better than fighting actual wars, because "tin soldiers don't leave behind tin widows and tin orphans." But I am still not convinced.

If you found Kogasa on the side of the road one rainy day, what would the encounter be like? Details, please. :3
Laconic: Destiny~
Regular: I would ask her if it wouldn't be too much of a problem to share her umbrella, since the weather here is so temperamental and it could get very bad very quickly. Once I got home, I'd invite her in for something to eat, and from there become friends. ^_^

On a related note, did anyone ever pick up that straw hat? :ohdear:
Laconic: Yes.
Regular: It was gone the next day, so I guess it was picked up.

Not to oversaturate with questions like these, but what is my worst quality in your opinion?
Laconic: You have so many it's hard to choose.
Regular: Complete blindness to the emotions and feelings of those around you is pretty high on the list, though. I can hardly think of something more guaranteed to ruin relationships than that.

Who has the best wingz in Touhou?
Laconic: Utsuho.
Regular: Maybe Aya. Speaking of, my aya_wings_chart_updated.png will need a new update with WaHH.

Are the people asking you about themselves instead of yourself getting annoying?
Laconic: Very.
Regular: I'm just hoping it's not against some staff regulations to say what I think about certain peoples here, since it introduces bias. :ohdear:

Do you like self-referential humor?
Laconic: I don't even know what that is, to be honest.

Do you find me annoying?
Laconic: Yes. Sorry. >_>
Regular: That said, I still find your observations interesting, even if I disdain excessive reliance on logic on basic principle.

Are you glad I'm not hopping on the "what do you think of me" bandwagon?
Laconic: Aren't you doing so indirectly?

What item currently in your possession has the most value to you? (Not monetary value) Why?
Laconic: My flash drive.
Regular: It has all of my creative work on it, and a lot of memories with my friends. It would be incredibly painful to lose it, even if I could technically replace the structure of it at low cost.

If you were given solid proof something terrible could happen to the world if you continued to exist, how would you approach the situation?
Laconic: Oh boy.
Regular: "Exist" is iffy. It would be much easier if you had said "live", since I would immediately cease to live on basic principle. But my religious studies courses (both self-initiated and academically mandated) have at the very least made me doubt that death is the end of everything. If my soul went on existing, then even my suicide would not save the world. Before I did anything drastic, I would find any way possible to good and truly cease to exist, soul and all. Putting innocent people in danger for my own selfish desire to live is not even an option worth considering.

Umm, right, a question.

"Who are you tsundere for?"

:3
Laconic: Depends on your sources.
Regular: Most everyone I have met in this community will claim that I am tsundere for them. Believe them if you wish, or don't.
For my part, I don't think I'm tsundere for anyone, but that's not what everyone else seems to think. :S

Do you think humanity will ever successfully colonize space, or at least launch space mining projects?
Laconic: Yes, I do.
Regular: And as with most other major technological advancements we create, it will cause more (different) problems than it solves.

What's your opinion on comic books/graphic novels as a medium?
Laconic: The well-done ones rock my socks off.
Regular: That said, I could never get into traditional comic books here in America-- I just never had much interest. My only American comic book is a copy of the Amazing Spider-Man that I scribbled over when I was five years old. >_> I like manga and graphic novels quite a bit, though. The stories that come out of Japanese media are very different from the superhero stories here that I tried to get into but failed. As with most other forms of media, I prefer historical ones, but I do like some sci-fi and surrealism (and if Fushigi Yuugi is any indication, flowery shoujo stories as well).

Fruits and vegetables you'd recommend to someone who's trying to expand their culinary horizons?
Laconic: Um.
Regular: I can't think of any specific names right now, since I'd like to just recommend the many fruits and vegetables of Mexican cuisine in general. I'll get back to you on this, promise.

Favorite classical composer?
Laconic: Of the classical era? Bach.
Regular: Bofh got me hooked on his compositions. <333333333

You've mentioned your commitment to pacifism before, but would you use violence to save the life of another if it was necessary?
Laconic: Violence? Sure. Killing? If I can, avoid it at all costs.
Regular: Even so, no ideology is worth paying for with the lives of people who have not chosen to live or die by it. If it came down to a "if you don't kill this person, then this person WILL go out and kill ten other people", then the sin of murder has effectively already been committed, and the least I can do is reduce the human cost of that sin. However, I do not doubt that I would loathe myself for it forever. Oh well.

Is there a reason you became the acolyte of TARC over the other subforums (PSL in particular)?
Laconic: The other staffers.
Regular: They love to look down on TARC. So do most of my friends, including most of the people who have posted in this thread. I was sick of having it looked down upon, so when Ammy left, I pledged to become Acolyte of TARC in his place. And PSL already had Sakana.

Who is your favorite journalist and why?
Laconic: Naomi Klein.
Regular. Her exposes on disaster engineering and then profiteering are absolutely spectacular.

I have to cut off here because I absolutely have to catch the bus now, but I'll be back later.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2011, 09:18:04 PM »
Justify your apparent love of magical girls.
Ibn Khaldun and Basil Davidson walk into the thunderdome. Who walks out, and why? Let us not presume undead or immortality as a cause for the ability to walk in.
Do you have a Kill Whitey t-shirt? If so, do you think it would fit me?
The winner of the prior thunderdome question later enters the Thunderdome with Dr Livingston? Who walks out, and why?
You are stuck in on a desert island with the rest of the librarians. Who do you choose to eat, and why?

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2011, 09:23:35 PM »
Are you glad this period of questioning is almost over?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »
Laconic: Yes. Sorry. >_>
Regular: That said, I still find your observations interesting, even if I disdain excessive reliance on logic on basic principle.
Eh, I like civil honesty, so no hard feelings.
I cannot comprehend your disdain for logic, but anything I'd have to say about it to make you understand my view would itself rely on logic, so I don't really see the point in even attempting (not to mention this thread not being the right place, as well as you most likely not being interested in the first place).
Laconic: I don't even know what [self-referential humor] is, to be honest.
This.
Also the problem I described in the paragraph above.
Most importantly though, my questioning post.
Layered.  BV

No new questions, you deserve a break.  :3
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:36:53 PM by Iryan »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2011, 10:13:01 PM »
What are the best and worst parts of being a staffer? Do you ever regret taking the job?

What's your opinion on the current state of the Western Touhou community? Does anything need to change or improve?

What kind of things do you think fanfiction writers should aim to do in order to create good stories?

What's your stance on hentai/pornography; do you find it exploitative or immoral?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:34:33 PM by The Aquatic Colossal »

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2011, 11:29:09 PM »
Land or sea and why?

What is your ideal home like, in as much detail as you are willing to provide?

If someone tried to drop the bomb on you, would you try to catch it, on the off chance that could actually work?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2011, 11:44:50 PM »
You meet a young woman while abroad, and after talking to her for a while, discover that she had been sold into sexual slavery in her youth. How do you help her escape?
Laconic: In a detailed manner.
Regular: In large part, it depends on where I have met her-- "abroad" is a rather broad term, after all. If it is someplace where the police are relatively not corrupt and the rule of law is at least mostly respected, then I would see about getting them involved, particularly if it would lead to the arrest of the criminals who have done this. If it is someplace where the police are in the pocket of those who profit from this, calling on several of the advocacy groups for sex trafficking I know of would be a very good idea. Being away for 24 hours would probably be a red light to her 'owner', as it were, that something has gone wrong. If they are smart, they will get away as soon as these 24 hours are over, so this has to be done fast. I would absolutely refuse to leave the girl's side this entire time; anything else would be an open invitation for things to go wrong without me being able to help her. Recording is therefore crucial, in case everything goes wrong and I end up dead or disappeared. Advocacy groups that specialize in such illicit trade tend to move faster than police do, both corrupt and non-corrupt, so I'm going to have to rely on them to get the word out. This young woman is almost certainly not the only one who's getting hurt, and I have zero intention of letting that continue. If possible, find out everything I can about the specific people I am dealing with; ignorance is never useful, and fortune favours the prepared.
Afterwards, out of the immediate danger, I would find some way to attack the causes of being sold. It's almost always due to economic collapse at home. Offering an alternative to selling themselves or their children is my idea of deterrence. None of this "onscreen heroics, offscreen ignorance" thing for me.

What are your stances on pie and cheesecake?
Laconic: Cheeeeeeeeeesecaaaaaaaaaaake.
Regular: Pie is good too. But cheeeeeeeeeesecaaaaaaaaaaake is so much better.

If it weren't for irony, this statement wouldn't be funny.
Laconic: I hated that song.
Regular: Had to listen to Alanis Morisette in IB English in order to learn what irony wasn't. Never doing that again.

You and a close friend are both in the emergency room after being attacked by a serial killer in the alleyway. Luckily, help came before he could finish either of you off, but you are both dangerously low on blood, and the hospital only has enough blood to save one of you. If you had a say in the matter, who would you choose to live?
Laconic: My friend, of course.
Regular: That said, a hospital that only has enough blood to save one of us? That's crazy. I'm B+, so any O+ blood would have worked just fine. The hospital must have some serious supply problems if it can only be one of us. They can take my blood once I'm dead, in that case. (I'm certainly not going to have any use for it.)

Wow, I didn't realize how morbid that was until after I typed it.
Laconic: Hee, just a little. :P

Justify your apparent love of magical girls.
Laconic: Sparkles!
Regular: Magical girls are something I've liked since I watched (DiC's butchering of) Sailor Moon as a child. History has (unintentionally and intentionally) taught me a lot of things and has disillusioned me on a lot of them-- first among them that altruism and unconditional love rarely if ever save the world (more often than not they lead to lunacy and butchery, since people like to use those as excuses for savagery), and that strength and purity can never save people if they won't break away from centuries of habits to save themselves. Magical girls reconstruct everything about this and show me that yes, it is possible to break out of that cycle-- or at least to believe in it. And belief creates reality. As cheesy as their stories can be, they still make me dare to hope for something better.

Ibn Khaldun and Basil Davidson walk into the thunderdome. Who walks out, and why? Let us not presume undead or immortality as a cause for the ability to walk in.
Laconic: Davidson.
Regular: I like to gush about Ibn Khaldoun as much as anyone else, but Davidson's MI-6 training has got to count for something.

Do you have a Kill Whitey t-shirt? If so, do you think it would fit me?
Laconic: Nah, I'm not really into shirts with logos or brands on them. Prefer stripe patterns.
Regular: That said, I imagine that if I were to get one, it would likely be a one-size-fits-all type.

The winner of the prior thunderdome question later enters the Thunderdome with Dr Livingston? Who walks out, and why?
Laconic: Livingston.
Regular: Dude had a knack for walking out of situations where death was all but certain.

You are stuck in on a desert island with the rest of the librarians. Who do you choose to eat, and why?
Laconic: Chaore.
Regular: Rabbit meat would be a new experience.

Are you glad this period of questioning is almost over?
Laconic: Kind of.
Regular: I honestly like having questions being asked of me, because it's better than letting everyone else come up with their own assumptions of my opinions. I was hoping for more posts than TSO got, though. :<

What are the best and worst parts of being a staffer? Do you ever regret taking the job?
Laconic: To the second, all the damn time.
Regular: To the first-- the worst parts are when I get into arguments with the other staffers, since I hate arguments, and the staffers are my friends, after all. (Most of them.) But there is self-loathing involved, too. I have an anti-authoritarian streak a mile wide, and I hate being told what to do. So I hate finding myself in the position of doing that to other people. Additionally, I dislike trusting authority figures, so I understand very well the tendencies of people to dislike and distrust us on that basis. But now I am the staffer who gets to bear the automatic distrust of people I try to work for, no matter what I do.
The best parts are being able to tamper with other people's profiles, and being respected as an authority and as a moderator. But these do not nearly make up for the worst parts of the job.

What's your opinion on the current state of the Western Touhou community? Does anything need to change or improve?
Laconic: I think complaining about it does no good.
Regular: People who try to force the community to be "better" or to "progress" make me angry like nothing else, because that stance denies that there are people who are working hard in their creative endeavours, infantilizes them, and degrades their efforts. Every time I hear this point of view articulated, even if it comes from friends, I want to slam them in the face with a shovel. I firmly believe in leading by example, so pronouncements from atop a pedestal do no good unless they are willing to live them out.

Does anything need to change or improve? A lot of things, but they tend to be about individual people and not about trends. Two of them that are about trends, though:
- I would like to destroy the idea that there is only one way to be a canon lover, and that this way is by worshipping at the feet of canon, ignoring ZUN's inconsistencies, and disdaining all works wherein people interpret things differently than ZUN does. I think canon is very interesting and worth reading. I am also very willing to ignore a whole lot of it in order to tell the stories I want to tell, and being called a sellout to fanon is not something I am fond of.
-- That being said, a rooting in canon should be where everyone starts. But let's be reasonable about it. There is a whole lot of canon to read, and not all of it is that interesting (CoLA is one gigantic snore for me, for starters). It is also very easy to forget or overlook parts of it, since there is so much content to read or hear. Attacking people for reading parts of it and not others is massively stupid.
- Playing the games should be the starter point, but beating them should not be required (the idea of a litmus test to be considered a Touhou fan is also very stupid). Do you like what ZUN has created? Congratulations, you're a fan. Being good or bad at the games is irrelevant. Holding lunatic up as the goal for everyone to strive for is arrogance in the highest degree. This sentiment seems to have gone away over time, though, and thank god for that.
- I would like to see the chewing out of everyone who is in a different community than you are. Infighting between the various factions of the WTC is silly to the core, and a waste of time. Just do your own thing.

As for improving, I'd like to see the amount of fanworks produced go up, but that can't be changed by my saying so, so I have to go out and do it myself.

The last two questions TAC asked are turning into a small essay, so I'm going to post these answers in the meanwhile. (~ '.')~

« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2011, 12:03:29 AM »
Sorry for throwing you hardball questions, I guess ^^;

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2011, 12:05:57 AM »
Quote from: Card Captor Sakura
I hated that song.

Wait, that's a song? I honestly wasn't aware of that.

Quote from: Card Captor Sakura
That said, a hospital that only has enough blood to save one of us? That's crazy. I'm B+, so any O+ blood would have worked just fine. The hospital must have some serious supply problems if it can only be one of us. They can take my blood once I'm dead, in that case. (I'm certainly not going to have any use for it.)
It was a rhetorical question. :P

Hmm... Well, I can't really think of anything else at the moment, and I was going to give you a break anyway. Have fun with those essays~

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2011, 01:17:59 AM »
Avatar/Brittanian Virtues, Gargish Virtues, or Ophidian Virtues? THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.
How do you keep yourself focused on a piece of writing?
How much second guessing occurs in the process?
What is hardest for you to write?
What is easiest?
How do you differentiate your characters? How do you keep a large cast from sounding too identical?

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2011, 02:10:44 AM »
Are you sure you aren't tsundere for me?

I'll probably regret this question, but what part does religion play in your life?
There was something here once. Wonder what...

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2011, 02:41:39 AM »
...what does Marcellus Wallace look like?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2011, 03:23:01 AM »
Of all of the photos you've ever taken, which is your favorite?

What's the most important thing to you in life?

Which do you enjoy reading more-- fiction or nonfiction?

Which of the three appeals of rhetoric do you think are the most effective when it comes to persuasion-- logos, ethos, or pathos?

How are your strawberries growing?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:38:24 AM by Tomatsuri Daidouji »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2011, 06:05:09 AM »
Marshmallow Cheese?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure