Author Topic: Anime Central Touhou Panel  (Read 10640 times)

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
Anime Central Touhou Panel
« on: May 12, 2009, 01:54:41 PM »
As some of you may or may not know, IDLE, [RoXas], and I ran a Touhou panel this last Friday at Anime Central.  I know this is a bit after the fact, but if any of you guys were there, what did you think about it?  I know a few of you were, at least.  I want to get feedback as the three of us are considering running this at a few other cons nearby, and almost certainly next year (if I can get down here from Michigan, it's an 8 hour drive, which is a bit much for an anime convention that really isn't that good.

Anyways, if you were there, let me know what you thought.  If you weren't there, lament how tragic it was that you weren't able to watch me play Highly Responsive to Prayers.  And if the Ran cosplayer is here, I know how to chain.  And I know how to chain very well, but ideally you don't chain when you are trying to run the timer down.  I have ears everywhere.  Don't badmouth me >=(

Jana

• mrgrgr
Re: Anime Central Touhou Panel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:55:05 PM »
*Waves*

I think I gave you my feedback already, but for the sake of documentation:

I thought it went rather well; considering the crowd that you guys drew in, I'm a bit surprised by how it didn't train wreck into a mess of shouting memes (although it did happen a bit, it certainly wasn't Otacon). While the sound/mike could have been a bit louder, it was pretty easy to hear. The gameplay demos were a great addition (HRtP was fun to watch), and the little giveaway was a pleasant surprise.

BTW, Ran said he'd show up, but I haven't caught word of him yet.

Mizuki-chan

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:56:13 AM »
I enjoyed it, and I didn't expect a crowd that big. To make the panel better I would say take more about the characters personalities. That was you can see that this isn't just another pc game. It has characters you can relate to in daily life. That's one of the reasons I like touhou. I second about the mike. Maybe show some fan art that you think is good. I think it was awesome that I got to see you in real life.     

ShikiMSHTS

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 04:06:13 AM »
Hey. Was the (day 1) Rinnosuke. Popping in partially due to obligation, but I guess I'll throw my two cents in.

Positive side is, it was a lot better than the legendarily bad Otakon Panel of last year. I think you had the right idea of going over each game a little bit and such. Though the projector problems were a bit troublesome, it's evident you guys at least tried. I think something to note though is to try focusing equally on the major fan/doujin aspects of Touhou (i.e. Yukkuris, Maikaze Anime, IOSYS, Walfas :3), or at least the ones you guys think might have lead some people to Touhou. I know it makes ZUN sad when people get into Touhou without having played the original games, but whatever, it's a con panel :b

Anyway, yeah~

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:59:46 AM »
I had heard .... rumours ... that there was going to be heckling, booing, snarky questions and general boorish behavior directed at the panel. Did any of that happen?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Benny1

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 11:05:16 AM »
No, in general, the crowd was quite well behaved (which was impressive because there were a lot of people).  There were a few meme shouts here and there, but that's expected and we were cool with that.  But yeah, if some people were planning on trolling the panel, they didn't in the end.

Silentsword

• Ace Hakurei Attorney
  • Practical solutions to impractical problems!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 04:36:01 AM »
I felt that the panel went extremely well - better than many similar panels for other series tend to go (*cough* Megaten).  You did an excellent job of covering each game in turn (your "Are you a bad enough Miko to...?" lines were classic, and probably need to be made into an LJ icon...), without getting dragged down into unnecessary detail.  It was enough to whet the appetite of those who hadn't played the particular game (or any of the games) without dumbing it down to the point that the "old sweats" got bored.

Gameplay demos were well-chosen.  Possible though for next time: have a non-frightening one running in the background (say, a Normal-level runthrough of IN or PCB) before the panel starts, as a sort of introduction.

Mic issues weren't too terribly awful (I think it was only the one mic that was down?), and computer display issues...they happen.

Also: love the handout CD.  Mine is making the rounds around my cosplay group at the moment. I think I've inadvertently created a number of new addicts with your help...

- Ran.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:59:41 AM by Silentsword »
"But if I don't do this, then all that's left is to stand around and do nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that. That's the problem with the freedom of choice he was talking about: once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you choose not to exercise it." - Commander Warner Caslet.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 04:39:13 AM »
You stole our Demo CD idea?

:(
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Silentsword

• Ace Hakurei Attorney
  • Practical solutions to impractical problems!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:48:09 AM »
I meant that I'm passing around the one I got at the panel. :-[
"But if I don't do this, then all that's left is to stand around and do nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that. That's the problem with the freedom of choice he was talking about: once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you choose not to exercise it." - Commander Warner Caslet.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 05:22:01 AM »
No, I meant Benny.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Benny1

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 12:50:55 PM »
Totally not my idea at all, you'd have to talk to Idle and Roxas about that one.  I just kind of went along with whatever they told me to do, because I basically had no idea what was going on until 20 minutes before the panel.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 02:44:36 PM »
I think something to note though is to try focusing equally on the major fan/doujin aspects of Touhou (i.e. Yukkuris, Maikaze Anime, IOSYS, Walfas :3)

You know, given this is exactly what the Otakon panel did, I don't see how you can claim it was legendarily bad. :v

(More like legendarily disorganized.)

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 03:15:04 AM »
If you weren't there, lament how tragic it was that you weren't able to watch me play Highly Responsive to Prayers.

please, say that you have videos of you playing :(

(any more information on people's reactions, btw?)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.