Author Topic: Touhou 6 EoSD Stuttering?  (Read 9239 times)

Touhou 6 EoSD Stuttering?
« on: January 22, 2017, 11:45:23 PM »
First of, a couple of things out of the way:

Yes, I have got Vsync Patch and yes I made it fully work with Japanese Applocale.
I have no input delay whatsoever...

However, while there is no delay with that, there is screen stuttering. Particularly on Remilia?s fight (ESPECIALLY on Mountain of a Thousand Needles, as well as Scarlet Meister, but really its almost everywhere in her fight) but its present on a lot of other places as well, and quite noticeable. The FPS itself is not the problem, it stays at a fixed 60 all the time (At least, that's what the game says, anyway... I can definitively feel it stutter though). Obviously this really worsens the experience a lot, plus its kinda hard to play like this. Might not be actual input delay, but it still gets in the way of gameplay.

I already tried out a fair amount of options. What I discovered; This seems to happen ONLY with the Vsync Patch. If I use the original game.exe, theres NO screen stuttering at all (However, then I would have to deal with Input Lag... so obviously not a solution either).

It also works fine with Vsync Patch on Windowed mode... but I rather play in Full Screen.

I tried to play on super low graphics and it seems irrelevant, the only way to get it all to work correctly with Vsync is on Windowed for SOME reason.

If it helps, I found an old thread with somebody who seemed to have a similar issue as me, but sadly nothing really came out of it:

https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=12822.0

...Not quite the same (I don't have 45 FPS drops, its more like simple Stuttering all over the place, the FPS counter just says 60...) but it seems somewhat similar.

Soo... anyone has any clue what could it be? Thanks for your answers. None of the other Touhous have issues like this, or if they do, its extremely minuscule and can be ignored (EX I get a bit of stuttering when the Prismrivers declare their first Spellcard on PCB for whatever reason, but that's just ONE time as opposed to being present on most of the game like it does in EoSD).

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:48:45 PM by IlikeBulletZ »

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
Re: Touhou 6 EoSD Stuttering?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:27:22 AM »
Can you post what is in your vpatch.ini?
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 03:39:50 AM »
Are you on Windows 10? If so, set up the DX8-to-DX9 converter.
If that doesn't work, open vpatch.ini, change "VSync = 0" to "VSync = 1" and post what the framerate is.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Drake

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 08:07:44 AM »
Vsync=0 runs the game without vsync enabled.
Vsync=1 uses vpatch's own vsync implementation. The fps is locked to the monitor's refresh rate.

If you're forcing 60fps (either with this or otherwise), check to see if you would usually have actual lag there. If you get lag instead where you'd usually get stuttering, it's likely just a matter of not being able to run the game well and you have to deal with it.

Setting compatibility mode to WinXP SP3 also sometimes miraculously fixes things but I doubt it'll help here. The DirectX fix might also help given the old-graphics-related nature of it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:10:58 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 02:20:40 AM »
Can you post what is in your vpatch.ini?

[Window]
AskWindowMode = 0
enabled = 0
X = 0
Y = 0
Width = 640
Height = 480
TitleBar = 0
AlwaysOnTop = 0

[Option]
Vsync = 0
SleepType = 1
BltPrepareTime = 4
AutoBltPrepareTime = 1
GameFPS = 60
ReplaySkipFPS = 240
ReplaySlowFPS = 30
CalcFPS = 1
AlwaysBlt = 0
BugFixCherry = 1
BugFixTh10Power3 = 0

Also,

Vsync=0 runs the game without vsync enabled.
Vsync=1 uses vpatch's own vsync implementation. The fps is locked to the monitor's refresh rate.

If you're forcing 60fps (either with this or otherwise), check to see if you would usually have actual lag there. If you get lag instead where you'd usually get stuttering, it's likely just a matter of not being able to run the game well and you have to deal with it.

Setting compatibility mode to WinXP SP3 also sometimes miraculously fixes things but I doubt it'll help here. The DirectX fix might also help given the old-graphics-related nature of it.

I already tried out both Vsync = 0 and Vsync = 1. They both give about the same stutter. I don't have lag. Besides, I used to be able to play this just fine on my previous monitor, so my PC can run the game perfectly... I had to do some stuff in order to make the games play at adjusted resolution (You know, the black bars and stuff), but all games adapted well to it, except apparently EoSD...

I also tried out the "Force 60 frames" option, ON and OFF, does not affect anything...

Also disregard my previous comment about it working better on Windowed; One of the things I hate the most about this stuttering is that its not consistent at all.

I spam Stage 6 Practice mode, and sometimes the whole thing goes smoothly as it should be, sometimes it just stutters all over the place and other times its fine at the start but halfway it starts to stutter again, all within the same session without me changing anything at all... very annoying!

The ONLY way I don't get this stutter at all is by playing the non-patched version.

Are you on Windows 10? If so, set up the DX8-to-DX9 converter.
If that doesn't work, open vpatch.ini, change "VSync = 0" to "VSync = 1" and post what the framerate is.
I am on Windows 7 if that helps.
So not sure if I should use that but I dont think it can hurt... right?
Anyway FPS on gameplay is a fixed 60.00 FPS regardless of the stuttering...

I am getting a bit tired of spammming Stage 6 just to see my game stuttering :/ I seriously dont know what it is, worse its not even a consistent stutter....

DarkPermafrost

• Wandering Lone Wolf
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 01:17:42 PM »
I don't know how useful this could be, but do you happen to have more than one graphics processor on your machine? I'm not sure if our issues are caused by the same problem, but mine was caused from trying to run certain games (e.g. MoF) on Nvidia and switching back to Integrated Graphics eliminated the stutter. I have no guarantee this is the same issue you're facing, but it's worth a shot, I guess.

Grrr.
---
YouTube

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 05:55:19 PM »
I think your PC is running th06 in borderless windowed fullscreen instead of "proper" exclusive fullscreen. As you have noticed, windowed gaming can cause stutters. If you had exclusive fullscreen, you would be seeing screen tears instead of stuttering.
The DX8-to-DX9 converter should fix fullscreen in this case, even on Windows 7.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 05:56:07 PM »
Unfortunately that did not seem to solve it either :/

I really dont know what could be the cause... I guess I should just deal with it lol. I plan to reformat my PC to hell soon anyway, maybe after I do that it might fix itself idk.

I get the feeling it has something to do with the Catalyst settings, because this did not happen back when I had the 4:3 monitor and did not had to tinker with these settings in order to get a proper resolution to play, but I dont know anything about it.

Well anyway thanks for you awnsers.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 12:19:00 AM »
aww.
Yeah I dunno, could be an AMD catalyst thing. Good luck with the reformat. And check your monitor for settings that might help you avoid messing with catalyst in the future, haha.

Lunatic_Reimu

• No Bomb Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 01:05:10 PM »
Did you try a frame limiter like RivaTuner or Nvidia Inspector (use the AMD equivalent in your case) set to 60 fps? I had a similar problem with stutter a few months ago, especially with the PC98 games and this really helped for me. I'm on Windows 7 like you.

You could also try setting your monitor's refresh rate to 60.001 Hz, see if that helps. You'd need to create 2 resolutions, 1 at your desktop resolution, and another at 640x480. The link is for Nvidia but maybe you could find their equivalent in your AMD settings:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/33641-screen-refresh-rate-custom-nvidia-brand.html

Good luck, and hope you could get this issue sorted soon. I know what a bother it is.