Author Topic: Hatate Quest Kaksi  (Read 58261 times)

Re: Hatate Quest Kaksi
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2014, 01:31:30 PM »
>"How small? Like, flying bird small or faerie small? Arrow small?"

>"The two smallest breaches are no larger than a small piece of candy, less than an inch in total diameter. The larger one is large enough to accommodate nothing larger than a small fairy. The largest is quite large in comparison to the other three. Easily able to allow the passage of two humanoid beings, or possibly three, depending on the size and shape of the people attempting entry." She turns her glowing green eye towards the unseen wall once more. "However, I believe all four breaches were once larger than they are at present. The barrier appears to be restoring itself."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2014, 01:44:49 PM »
>"Mmm. Hard to make a good guesses, then."

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2014, 09:12:13 PM »
>"Mmm. Hard to make a good guesses, then."

>"What sort of guesses?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2014, 09:21:48 PM »
>"About what made those holes, if they're sealing themselves. Unless we can figure out how old they are and how fast they seal, I guess."

« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
>"About what made those holes, if they're sealing themselves. Unless we can figure out how old they are and how fast they seal, I guess."

>"I may in fact be able to determine the age of each breach, thought it will more time than has already been invested." Celia replies. "The rate of recovery may be harder to determine without direct observation over the appropriate time for observation. However, in terms of who or what created these breaches, that, I can make some determinations on right now."
>"Really?" Momiji asks.
>The centaur nods. "Each of these gaps in the barrier is surrounded by a type of residual energy, the type of power used to penetrate the shield, I must conclude."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2014, 09:36:07 PM »
>"Oh, neat! Go for it, then."

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2014, 09:43:38 PM »
>"Oh, neat! Go for it, then."

>"The largest breach has very little residual trace." Celia informs you. "Merely whispers of danmaku use."
>"That's the one I made." Momiji tells her. "I cut through it with my weapons and a little danmaku."
>The centaur nods. "The second largest breach is surrounded by an energy type that, regretfully, I do not recognize. And of the two small gaps, one was made by a type of wind power. Either an air mage of some sort or a youkai with wind powers, I cannot tell. The other pinhole gap was made by a kitsune, I am reasonably certain of that."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2014, 09:48:18 PM »
>"Did any of them happen to scratch the layer under it?"

« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2014, 02:34:18 AM »
>"Did any of them happen to scratch the layer under it?"

>Celia's eye glows stronger for a moment. "My probes into the second barrier do not reveal any damage at this time. But I can say for certain that the two barriers were erected by two different individuals."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2014, 02:49:46 AM »
>"Could you scan the other barrier please? If you find a gap, we could get inside right now."
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2014, 03:21:42 AM »
>"Could you scan the other barrier please? If you find a gap, we could get inside right now."

>"As you wish. One moment, please." Celia walks over to the hole Momiji punched in the outer screen, and once inside, starts to trot around the second barrier as she did the first. Not having as much ground to cover, it doesn't take the quick centaur to complete her circuit around the house. She seems a bit disappointed as she pulls up to a halt by the 'door' in the first barrier. "This barrier does not appear to have had any damage inflicted upon it, nor do I detect any weak points or areas of vulnerability."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2014, 04:12:56 AM »
>"Yes, we suspected as much. Would you be able to keep an eye on this location while we travel to the Cobalt Keep in search of someone to dispel the inner barrier? It may take us a while to make the trip and back, and we wouldn't want someone to accidentally run into it -- the inner barrier seems more harmful than the outer one."

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2014, 04:36:17 AM »
>"Yes, we suspected as much. Would you be able to keep an eye on this location while we travel to the Cobalt Keep in search of someone to dispel the inner barrier? It may take us a while to make the trip and back, and we wouldn't want someone to accidentally run into it -- the inner barrier seems more harmful than the outer one."

>"Of course." Celia says with a nod. "And in addition to serving as a means of caution, I intend to pursue my own analysis of this barrier. I have never encountered a power quite like it before."
>"Hang on a minute, Hatate." Momiji says, taking a step towards Celia. "You said that two barriers were made by different people?"
>"Yes, this is the case." Celia gestures towards Marisa's house, her arm movement as measured as her speech. "My previous assumptions have proven to be false. The outer shield was indeed created by Miss Kirisame. I recognize her magical power. But the second barrier, the stronger one, is composed of an energy type that is completely foreign to me. It is a magic, of a sort, but not one I have ever encountered, nor do I know of any that might have done so."
>Momiji folds her arms across her chest, thinking. "I have a suggestion, Hatate." she says after a moment's thought.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2014, 05:43:15 AM »
>"The outer barrier was created by Marisa? Then ..."
>"What is it, Momiji?"
The nickname was only for a certain style of writing. I didn't intend us to call her by a nickname all the time.

« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2014, 06:00:35 AM »
>"The outer barrier was created by Marisa? Then ..."
>"What is it, Momiji?"

>"I suggest we split up. You fly much faster than I do; you go back to the mountain and grab Honoka, and find this Keep. I'll fly down to the Myoren Temple and talk to Byakuren Hijiri, she's a powerful and experienced wizard. No offense intended, Celia." Momiji adds. "I just thought that a second set of eyes might help."
>"No offense was taken." The centaur assures her. "In fact, I would heartily agree with the idea of speaking with another magician, particularly one whose experiences and powers range outside my own."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2014, 06:30:42 AM »
I'm ok with this, but does anyone else have a better idea?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2014, 08:11:01 AM »
>"Might be that Marisa made it to keep other people from getting zapped by the inner barrier. Can you tell if there's anything behind the second one, Celia?"
>Nod to Momiji. "Sounds good."

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2014, 08:41:42 AM »
>"Might be that Marisa made it to keep other people from getting zapped by the inner barrier. Can you tell if there's anything behind the second one, Celia?"
>Nod to Momiji. "Sounds good."

>"Not at the moment, I am sorry to say." the centaur replies with a shake of her head. "It is much stronger than Miss Kirisame's magical barrier. I may be able to scan beyond its outer edges, however it will take some time in order to find a method to facilitate this."

>The white wolf nods in agreement. "Then we'll meet back here once our tasks are complete."
>"Begging your pardon, Miss Inubashiri, but if you desired a second wizard to aid in this task, would Patchouli Knowledge not be a superior individual to inquire for aid from?"
>"Maybe, but I've met her a few times. I don't think she'd be too willing to leave her library, not over something she'd see as a minor distraction."
>"That may not necessarily be the case." Celia counters. "Miss Knowledge is not a stranger to the Forest of Magic. She and Miss Kirisame are friends, though I strongly suspect she may not be entirely willing in admitting this fact."
>Momiji ponders that. "You might have a point there."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2014, 08:59:36 AM »
>What do we know of Patchouli's tendencies toward mobility and helpfulness?

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2014, 09:18:18 AM »
>What do we know of Patchouli's tendencies toward mobility and helpfulness?

>As a general rule, Patchouli is as big a shut-in as Kaguya Houraisan. Unlike Kaguya, however, this is entirely Patchy's choice. According to reports, whenever she needs something beyond the walls of her library, she either sends her familiar Koakuma out to get it, or badgers another resident of the Scarlet Devil Manor to do her lifting for her. It's not that she's unfriendly, she just prefers to live within her own little part of the world.
>That said, she's neither unpersonable nor unhelpful. You know she helped Marisa out with that geyser incident a couple of years ago, for a start. Puzzles and mysteries of a magical sort are the sort of thing she enjoys almost as much as a book she hasn't read, or so you believe. A magical barrier like this, which has at least temporarily defeated at least one mage already, is the sort of thing you believe she might just be willing to leave her library to investigate. Especially where Marisa's involved. Despite the black-white's penchant for raiding the Scarlet Devil Manor's library, the two of them are stated to be genuine friends. Possibly more, if you buy in to the sort of gossip Aya picks up.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »
>What about the obviously superior gossip we pick up?
>"Well, Patchouli is more likely to know what Marisa's up to, if anything. Let's go with that. Good luck dragging her out here, though."

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2014, 08:37:34 PM »
>What about the obviously superior gossip we pick up?
>"Well, Patchouli is more likely to know what Marisa's up to, if anything. Let's go with that. Good luck dragging her out here, though."

>While you have little doubt about your own information gathering skills, this is one area in which you've actually never looked into before.
>Momiji nods slowly, then she turns her gaze to the north, her eyes focusing. "It's not that far from here to either place, fortunately. But I'll start with the Scarlet Devil Manor." She barks out a short chuckle. "And I'll probably need a bit of luck, as well."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2014, 08:48:03 PM »
>Call to Momiji: "Just tell the gatekeeper she's cute, and she'll let you in!"
>Look to Celia, "Anything else you got for me before I head off?"

« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2014, 02:41:26 AM »
>Call to Momiji: "Just tell the gatekeeper she's cute, and she'll let you in!"
>Look to Celia, "Anything else you got for me before I head off?"

>Momiji chuckles briefly. "Sage advice." she drawls, before taking off towards the Scarlet Devil Manor.
>The centaur nods. "The secondary barrier extends below the ground, as well as above it. It completely emcompases the house. Whomever erected it did a very thorough job in the doing. However, I would guess that the outer barrier, the one created by Miss Kirisame, was done in more of a hurry. Miss Kirisame does not specialize in defensive sorcery, but she does possess vast stores of magical energy. I would have expected a shield she created to be much more resiliant to attacks than this one, indicating either a lack of preparedness or a lack of available time within which to create this shield. What this weakness in the barrier signifies, however, I am uncertain of at this juncture."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2014, 05:55:58 AM »
I can think of one reason a wizard would put a barrier around a barrier erected by a different person: to preserve the initiative should the inner barrier drop suddenly. I do not think Hatate would think of this immediately though.
>"I see. Well, I suppose I should be off. Thank you for your help Celia, and hopefully one of us will return soon."

« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2014, 06:05:16 AM »
>"I see. Well, I suppose I should be off. Thank you for your help Celia, and hopefully one of us will return soon."

>The centaur curtsies. "I wish you good fortunes and safe travels."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »
>Zoom up the mountain.

« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2014, 06:35:57 AM »
>Zoom up the mountain.

>Armed with this last bit of info from Celia, you take a step back from the centaur and take flight, heading up out of the forest canopy, and setting course towards Youkai Mountain. Without having to slow yourself to the pace of another, the return flight won't take as long as the rest of your journeying so far today, but you still have a bit of time alone with your thoughts, pondering the events of the day thus far.
>The dominating thought is one of opportunity. Aya's caught up in this, you're sure of that. That wind power Celia mentioned could have been Aya's, now that you think about it. But wherever she is, she hasn't reported these events to anyone, so far as you know. You've been hoping for years to beat Aya to a big scoop, and lo and behold, one may have dropped right into your lap. Well, you might have been dropped into it's lap, but no matter. Opportunity's come a-knocking, and you're more than ready to answer. Depending on what you find once that second barrier's taken down, and you're sure that's only a matter of time, you might even have to come to Aya's help with whatever it is she's got herself caught up in. The idea brings a big grin to your face. I mean, you'd never wish that sort of danger upon her, she is your friend after all. But if the situation demands, that'll be a rather sizable feather in your cap for sure.
>That being said, if this adventure does end up leading you into a spot of trouble, you're now more glad than you were before to have asked Momiji to accompany you. Traveling with a friend is a worthwhile venture in and of itself, but having some friendly muscle may be even better. Especially when said muscle is one of the strongest and most skilled White Wolves on the mountain.

>Since said Wolf is away at the moment, you remain a bit on guard on your way up the mountain. Most of the other residents of the mountain give lone tengu a wide berth, but every now and then a group of fairies get frisky, or a local God or Youkai gets belligerant. And the higher up you go, the more powerful they become. Sanae and Kanako usually do a good job at keeping them in line- at least the former group- and possibly as a result of this, you remain unmolested as you take the direct approach to the top of the mountain. Though you do adjust your course now and then to avoid clouds of fairies before they spot you. More trouble than it's worth.
>Neither sight nor sound of danmaku can be detected from the vicinity of the shrine, which given the somewhat confrontational attitude you observed earlier in Honoka, comes as something as a surprise. You can, however, hear the sounds of music coming from behind the Moriya temple.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2014, 12:33:22 PM »
>Approach music. Is it something we recognize?
>Are the hills alive?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:10:07 AM by O4rfish »

« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »
>Are the hills alive?

>Naw, this is Gensokyo. If the hills were alive, they'd be humanoid and with skirts and hats.

>Approach music. Is it something we recognize?

>You don't recognize the song, but you do recognize one of the two singers, as it is Sanae. The other voice, also feminine, is higher pitched than Sanae's, but not a bad voice. And given the number of instruments you hear- four, you think- you produce your camera in anticipation.
>And sure enough, an interesting scene greets your eyes as you fly over the temple and spy, near the edge of the onbashira-dotted lake, a small live show going on. Sanae and a white-haired little fairy are singing a song in a language you don't immediately recognize, but one full of enough pep and enthusiasm to match the energy on the face of the two performers. Seated to the right of the pair are Kanako and Honoka, the wind goddess blowing on a shiny saxophone while the cloaked Honoka keeps pace with a red-stained bamboo flute. Suwako is plucking the strings of a guitar with a great deal of fervor on the left side of the two singers, accompanied by a demure looking youkai with dark green hair tied at the back with a black and green robe, kneeling and coaxing a tune out of a long koto. To your thinking, the instrument really doesn't mesh completely with the other three, but the yellow-eyed with the long fingers seems to be making it work. Certainly well enough for Sanae, who smiles at the little fairy as the two put on their show.