Author Topic: Hatate Quest Kaksi  (Read 57757 times)

Hatate Quest Kaksi
« on: January 10, 2014, 10:33:53 AM »
>You are Hatate Himekaidou, owner and editor of the Gensokyo newspaper Kakashi Spirit News.
>Your day began with the notation of the unexpected and extended absence of Aya Shameimaru from Youkai Mountain, and you took it upon yourself to locate your wayward friend/rival. To this end, you drafted Ranger captain Momiji Inubashiri to aid you. During the course of your investigation, you had a somewhat unpleasant encounter with a Dai-tengu newspaper supporter Tsubaki Ayatsuji, in which more than a few veiled threats were exchanged between you and she. You're quite certain she was up to something, she didn't break into Aya's house for no reason, but thus far have been unable to come up with any reason for her actions, beyond the knowledge that she and Aya are not on the best of terms with each other.
>You decided to take your investigation out into the rest of Gensokyo, traveling first to the Moriya temple, where you met a somewhat combat-happy youkai named Honoka. Neither she nor Sanae were able to point you directly towards Aya, but Honoka did provide you with a lead on at least a story or two, and offered her services as a guide to the Cobalt Keep, the place that seems to be the center of the Night of Rage incident, and where Aya certainly would have gone.
>Your next encounter was somewhat less profitable. You met a traveling group of musicians and nearly came to blows with the performers for your perceived insults to their boss, a pompous bombastic youkai by the name of Dahlia de la Vega. But with a little diplomacy handed out by Momiji, you and the manager sorted things out between you, and you parted on good terms.

>Traveling down to the Hakurei Shrine, you found that Reimu had a guest already: the legendary Yukari Yakumo. Despite your races almost instinctive fear of the youkai of boundaries, you and she exchanged a somewhat pleasant conversation. She even offered to help you connect with Aya, only to have her effort thwarted by an unknown barrier of some sort, which she described, somewhat unhelpfully, as 'rather orange'. She then drafted you and Momiji into investigating this impediment for her, and she dropped the two of you outside the home of Marisa Kirisame in the Forest of Magic. The house seems fine and normal, but both and Momiji have experienced a noticeable sense of warning that seems to be coming from the house itself...

>"Yeah, that's not gonna work. I really shouldn't think up first drafts on that fly like that."
>Let's have a look into the lower windows.

>"The rest of it wasn't so bad." Momiji offers. "But I have had more flattering nicknames in my time."
>All but two of the windows on the bottom floor of the house reveal the same clutter-choked areas within as you saw on the second floor. You have to wonder how the witch can navigate her home at all. One window reveals what seems to be Marisa's kitchen, evidenced by the cooking instruments and spice racks you see within. Said racks, however, seem to hold almost as many books and scroll as condiments. She is obviously the sort to real while she cooks. Her kitchen also boasts a large black cauldron, covered. The last window, on the right side of the front of her house, is the only one with drawn curtains. Black, with a starry pattern, you note, in keeping with the theme of Marisa's danmaku.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Hatate Quest Kaksi
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:55:21 AM »
>Has the menacing feeling changed at all?

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »
>Has the menacing feeling changed at all?

>It has remained steady during both flight and on the ground.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 04:07:12 PM »
>"So how are we going to enter?
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »
>"So how are we going to enter?

>"I'd try the front door first." Momiji suggests. "But let me go first. Just in case."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 12:44:44 AM »
>"Ok, be her guest."
>Take picture if anything weird happens.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 01:38:09 AM »
>"Ok, be her guest."
>Take picture if anything weird happens.

>The captain of the Rangers unslings her shield and drops down to the ground. Her cautious eyes sweeping the area in front of her, she walks rather slowly down the beaten pathway leading to Marisa's stoop. About ten feet out from the door, she comes to an abrupt halt, as she walks right into a barrier that been invisible up until the moment of contact. The barrier ripples with white energy, revealing a dome-shaped field covering Marisa's house, before fading from view again. For a moment, the sense of caution you felt spiked.
>But you still managed to snap a picture of Momiji walking into an invisible wall.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 03:09:37 AM »
>"Whoa, a Nurikabe. "
>How else to explain how we've gotten close to the house but not encountered the shields, until we were onn land?

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 03:14:58 AM »
>"Whoa, a Nurikabe. "
>How else to explain how we've gotten close to the house but not encountered the shields, until we were onn land?

>Momiji scowls indignantly at the invisible barrier that repulsed her, and raps it once with the edge of her shield. The sense of caution spikes again. "Obviously the source of that bad feeling." the wolf remarks.
>You never got as close as Momiji just did.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
>"Give it a good whack with your shield, maybe?"

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 02:11:53 PM »
>"Give it a good whack with your shield, maybe?"

>Momiji considers that for a moment, then nods. Drawing her shield back across her body, she unleashes a fierce backhanded swing, slamming the front of her shield against the barrier, sending a resounding CLANG through the surrounding woods. The sense of caution does indeed spike again, though no more fiercely than before, despite the heavier impact.
>Momiji, for her part, seems curious. "There's more give to this barrier than I thought at first. I've hit some shields that sent me flying, and this one barely made my arm tingle." she muses. "I don't think it's as strong as it looks."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 07:10:39 AM »
>"I bet she put it up to scare the faeries off. I bet we could cut it down if we wanted, but it's probably better to try to find a way to open it without that; we don't need faeries getting their hands on her stuff."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 07:15:03 AM »
>Do we have any thaumaturgical skills or training?

>"Maybe we should try to do what fairies wouldn't do."
>Try to slowly press through the shield.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:16:41 AM by O4rfish »

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 08:43:21 AM »
>Also, didn't Yukari call the barrier she encountered orange, while this one seems white?

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 09:46:13 AM »
>"I bet she put it up to scare the faeries off. I bet we could cut it down if we wanted, but it's probably better to try to find a way to open it without that; we don't need faeries getting their hands on her stuff."

>"I'm not sure. I don't know Marisa that well, but I do know that she doesn't bother with fairies like that. As a matter of fact, I remember Aya telling me that Marisa doesn't mind when they prank her like that. She takes it as a challenge. Still, you have a point. If she put this barrier up, she did it for a reason, so we probably shouldn't punch holes in it willy-nilly." Momiji raps her shield against the barrier again. "I don't think it extends below the ground, not from what I can see. We might be able to dig under it."

>Do we have any thaumaturgical skills or training?

>Not really, no. Your thoughtography skills and abilities are about as far as you've ranged into the pseudo-mystical arts.

>Also, didn't Yukari call the barrier she encountered orange, while this one seems white?

>She did indeed.

>"Maybe we should try to do what fairies wouldn't do."
>Try to slowly press through the shield.

>"That can be a small list." Momiji remarks dryly as you drop down a bit and approach the barrier's edge. "Be careful." she cautions as you press your hands against the barrier. As you saw evidenced by Momiji's ungraceful impact against it, this barrier acts as a wall rather than a repulsor, so you push harder against the magical obstacle. Just as your friend said, the wall has some give to it, but not enough to let you penetrate it. Your efforts lead you to believe that you could surpass this barrier, but it'll take a more substantial impact, or a larger sustained force, to breach it.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 11:09:22 AM »
>"Be a dear and give it a good stab? Not too hard, I don't want to break it so much as test it."

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
>"Be a dear and give it a good stab? Not too hard, I don't want to break it so much as test it."

>"That can be arranged." Momiji replies as she swaps shield for sword. Her curved blade stabs at the spot she struck with her shield slam earlier. "It seems to have weakened." the Ranger reports. "A few more good hits, or a solid danmaku barrage should punch through it."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »
>Nod.
>"Then the question is, do we trust Yukari or Marisa's judgment more?"

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
>Nod.
>"Then the question is, do we trust Yukari or Marisa's judgment more?"

>"Well, that's the thing I've been wondering. See, if you or I could penetrate this barrier, and I think we can, there's no way it could have been what stopped Yukari, could it? Not if she's as powerful as she's supposed to be. I mean, a determined fairy with enough danmaku could pierce this field." Momiji shakes her head. "Unless she's playing some sort of game with us, there's got to be something else going on here. And I'll bet you a cask of good ale whatever it is is going to be on the other side of this barrier."

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »
>Have we heard of something called prismatic sphere?

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 02:02:30 PM »
>Mutter to self "Momirin, Momikko, Momippe, Momimomi, Momisuke, Momicchi ... That's it! Momicchi!"
>"I'll take that bet Momicchi. I think we find clues, not the actual thing, in here."
>Finding something newsworthy has to be worth a cask of ale, right?

Feel free to countermand if you think we can't afford it.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 12:17:55 AM »
>Belay that.
>Before we make any bets, just how bad would that set us back?

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 05:25:28 AM »
>Have we heard of something called prismatic sphere?

>It actually does ring a small bell, but not one large enough to put your finger on.

>"I'll take that bet Momicchi. I think we find clues, not the actual thing, in here."
>Belay that.
>Before we make any bets, just how bad would that set us back?

>A small cask of ale would be about as much as you'd want to spring for, until the profits from your most recent issue come in. Any size up from that would be a bit more of a hit to your wallet than you'd really want to risk.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 06:59:22 AM »
>"Just a small cask, though. Cut that dumb thing down."'

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 12:07:31 PM »
>Mutter to self "Momirin, Momikko, Momippe, Momimomi, Momisuke, Momicchi ... That's it! Momicchi!"
>Finding something newsworthy has to be worth a cask of ale, right?
>"Just a small cask, though. Cut that dumb thing down."'

>"'Chi...'" The white-haired wolf heaves a sigh. "Fine, fine."
>Momiji (or Momicchi) nods. "Agreed."
>"Better stand back a bit, just in case." The ranger draws her shield again as you put a dozen or so more feet between you and the edge of the barrier. Momiji takes a measured breath, then darts forward, leading with a spinning forehanded slash across the already weakened part of the barrier. Finishing her spin, Momiji slams her shield into the barrier once more, and strikes with a stab from her sword all in one fluid movement. She seems to push herself backwards with her sword strike, and unleashes a blast of danmaku, a ribbon of light blue petal-shaped bullets followed by a barrage of larger blue circles. With the barrier still intact, Momiji charges forward once more, leading with a crushing blow with her shield, then she swings her sword down, sending a shockwave of force out in front of her.
>Reaching the limits of its endurance, a roughly five foot by eight foot section of the shield opaques, then shatters like glass. The way is open.
>Momiji sheathes her sword, then lets out the breath she's been holding during this flurry of offense. "That will do."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 02:12:31 PM »
>"That it will."
>Go open the door.

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 05:16:44 AM »
>"That it will."
>Go open the door.

>With the defenses broken, you step up alongside Momiji and head towards Marisa's door. But five feet out from the door, the two of you smack into yet another unseen barrier, this one a fierce orange in color when it appears. And unlike the first barrier, this one does not react as an inert wall, as a wave of energy courses painfully through your body, orange sparks flying out from the barrier like spikes of electricity, the force of the power repulsing you and Momiji both.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 05:34:11 AM »
>"Argh! What is this, some sort of fluorescent prison?"
>Fire danmaku at the barrier.

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 05:51:20 AM »
>"Argh! What is this, some sort of fluorescent prison?"
>Fire danmaku at the barrier.

>Annoyed at being thwarted yet again, you unleash three streams of blue wedge-shaped bullets at the infernal orange wall.
>"Good idea." Momiji says quickly, adding her fire to yours. Torrents of white and blue bullets hammer the barrier, sending orange sparks flying furiously from each impact. Annoyingly, the orange wall shows no sign of weakening despite the firepower of both of you.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 06:47:43 AM »
>"By the breeze, this thing is going to take everything but the kitchen basin to take down!"
>Do Tengu dwellings have lightning rods?