Author Topic: How to upload Touhou videos in HD quality Tutorial  (Read 307552 times)

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
Re: How to upload Touhou videos in HD quality Tutorial
« Reply #330 on: January 06, 2013, 09:48:33 AM »
How do I find out what sound card/driver my computer has?

And my primary purpose for a screen capture program is to record all my PC-98 attempts. Not just for YouTube, but it's really helpful to be able to look back at your own gameplay. (Then again, I can still look back at my own gameplay using HyperCam even if it's recording though the microphone, so that isn't an issue, but I still like to have my PC-98 scores available for others to watch.)

(This is something I recorded with it, for example.)
Looks fine to me... other than that there might be some minor sound desync, but I can't quite tell.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:37:57 AM by Karisa »

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #331 on: January 06, 2013, 08:18:41 PM »
It really isn't said what type of audio card they use. The official specs just say it's a built in audio device. There's no harm in trying a driver that doesn't work. If it doesn't give you what you want, just revert back.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Burning Love

• Flan is not a pudding! (I think)
    • Burning Love' Blog
« Reply #332 on: November 10, 2013, 03:01:22 AM »
I have a question. Do you guys ever having problems with audio not syncing when live recording? I've been trying to record my video while playing and the sound always goes off (around 15 seconds up to 1 minutes earlier). Is there any solution?
Still waiting for a good sig. image

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #333 on: November 15, 2013, 03:13:32 AM »
I have a question. Do you guys ever having problems with audio not syncing when live recording? I've been trying to record my video while playing and the sound always goes off (around 15 seconds up to 1 minutes earlier). Is there any solution?
The only time I've had audio desyncs is when using HyperCam, but that's only by a few frames of desync, not even 1 second. What recording software are you using? Usually, if there's an audio desync, VirtualDub will notice it and prompt you to correct it.
TF2 Backpack

Burning Love

• Flan is not a pudding! (I think)
    • Burning Love' Blog
« Reply #334 on: November 16, 2013, 04:31:16 AM »
The only time I've had audio desyncs is when using HyperCam, but that's only by a few frames of desync, not even 1 second. What recording software are you using? Usually, if there's an audio desync, VirtualDub will notice it and prompt you to correct it.

I'm using Hypercam for recording (the video in avi format), and gimped the video into mp4 file using Handbrake software. I might try using VirtualDub as suggested if the desync happens again.
Still waiting for a good sig. image

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #335 on: January 26, 2014, 10:13:53 PM »
Could I get a poll of which video recording programs people are using?  I spent the day cycling through several different free programs, but none of them measure up for one reason or another, and while I'm not opposed to purchasing one I'm skittish about putting $40 down on a program that may turn out to be unsuitable.

(If it matters, I'm primarily interested in Danmakufu.)

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #336 on: January 26, 2014, 11:10:37 PM »
I use Fraps right now, but I've heard people talking about some software being better than it now.

This thread has an overview of 5 of them. (the one in the #1 spot being free and I may look into it)
http://www.vaultf4.com/threads/game-recording-fraps-vs-bandicam-vs-msi-afterburner-vs-dxtory-vs-playclaw.433/
TF2 Backpack

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #337 on: January 28, 2014, 02:02:53 AM »
I gave MSI Afterburner a try, and it worked impressively with full-screen and full-frame settings.  I did get some slowdown in the same places you normally see slowdown in existing videos (loading bosses, loading stages, very large numbers of bullets being created at once while two dozen enemies attempt to ram your hitbox) but it's still vastly preferred to the alternatives.

With that said, MeGUI doesn't like what results, yielding the following error when attempting to upload it with the AVS Script Creator:
"FFVideoSource: Insanity detected: decoder returned an empty frame"
Looking up the error results in suggestions to update FFMS.  I doubt that's the issue, though - I'm reasonably sure that I have the latest version in 2.19 (20130917).  What should I do next?

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #338 on: January 28, 2014, 05:11:36 AM »
I don't use MeGUI anymore, I didn't like what it did with colors among other things. I do all my encoding currently within VirtualDub with H.264. I find it yields better results.

And as for me, I've reverted from using both VirtualDub and MeGUI, and just handle videos with VirtualDub, encoding them with H.264, resizing, and sharpening them. A scale of 5 for sharpening has so far looked good. Too high makes the video look bad. I'm still experimenting with it, but it looks to handle it better than MeGUI does. Still using Lame for the audio, just like MeGUI, just I pick CBR of 192. (because ABR of 192 does not exist) Also, media players seem to handle this format better than handling an mp4, and these finished videos are still in avi format. Not sure whether it makes a difference, but it definitely is easier to work with for me.

I may write up the steps I take now if that may be useful to others. IMO the videos after being uploaded look way better using only VirtualDub than when encoded using MeGUI.
TF2 Backpack

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #339 on: January 29, 2014, 02:06:48 AM »
Depending on how this works out I may type up a guide myself, what with starting from nothing three days ago.

Okay!  I have 2.78GB and 47s of .avi to test, resized to 720x540, sharpened by 5, and with freshly imported LAMEness.  This leaves the following questions--

1) Don't you run into size problems somewhere by leaving files as .avi?  YouTube apparently imposes a 20GB limit on file size, and if my not-even-a-minute file is over 10% of that then I foresee problems with any substantially long video.

2) Assuming that the file does need to be converted to .mp4, which program should be used?  MeGUI still crashes on the file and searching "convert avi to mp4" yields a sizable list of different sketchy applications from different sketchy websites.

3) Given that I prefer e-nonymity and thus want nothing whatsoever to do with Google+ and its mandated naming convention, do I even want to use YouTube?  If not, where should I go to host the video?

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #340 on: January 29, 2014, 02:48:10 AM »
That's a peculiar video resolution. Why are you using that size? That won't even grant you 720p. If that's what you were trying to achieve, you got the calculations mixed up. Video size is calculated by height, not width. If you want to make a 640x480 video become HD in Youtube, you want 960x720 as the result. (also, a good idea is that you should keep around the original, non-encoded video until after you check your video on Youtube, because once in a while, Youtube decides to be dumb and bork the video, resulting in various things like crackling sound and that gray coloring effect at the beginning of some videos. Usually encoding the video again will fix it, even if you do the exact same method you did before)

As for your questions, I'll answer these as best I can.

1) I don't have size problems at all. The fact that they're being encoded means their size is being reduced. If your recording software records videos without a codec (raw data), then the size is going to be HUGE, because there's no codec compressing the size. This can be useful in many ways, especially if your CPU isn't particularly powerful, since it will have to run the program, record the program, and encode the program at once, and encoding is a very CPU heavy task. I still have a video to upload that is a little over 9 minutes and the size is only 650MB, so I don't see that 20GB limit being any such problem for most things. And if you're really worried, you can always crop the fps down to 30 to save more space, since Youtube will convert it to 30 fps anyway. (and save on upload time)

2) The file does not need to be in an mp4, Youtube will work fine with avis. I think the main thing Youtube cares about is the codec used, where different codecs result in different video qualities once processed. I don't know of another program that creates mp4s anyway because I've never needed them.

3) I don't like what Google is doing either, as I really don't care for Google+ nor want anything to do with it really. Unfortunately, Youtube is still the most popular video site so that's probably the best place to upload still.
TF2 Backpack

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #341 on: January 30, 2014, 01:13:12 AM »
That was embarrassing.  The resize was a newbie mistake and the file size was the result of me completely forgetting to compress the video.  Of note, the video was resized to 960x720; I suspect that may be unusual but it's 150% larger than the recorded window in both directions.

So, let's try this again... now with a video to show!  It's hardly unwatchable, but there's a very evident quality loss between the .avi on my computer and the video you see here (particularly w.r.t choppiness).  Suggestions?

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #342 on: February 01, 2014, 04:02:55 AM »
I can see the loss with the moving bullets, it's not as sharp as it could be. Not sure if messing with the sharpness setting will work, I haven't been able to experiment much with it yet. (HDD space, what is?) As for choppiness, it seems fine to me. If you're looking for a difference with 60 fps, then you'll definitely see the choppiness with Youtube as it uses 30 fps instead, which tends to make Touhou videos look a little choppy by eyes that look for that.

Unless you're seeing something I'm not seeing (if you are, let me know), maybe try other browsers to watch that video. Flash Player lately has been kinda borked in certain browsers, notably Firefox and Chrome. On my end, Internet Explorer (unfortunately) doesn't seem to be affected and plays Youtube better. Try checking with other browsers to make sure that may not be the problem you see.
TF2 Backpack

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #343 on: February 01, 2014, 08:28:30 PM »
It's entirely possible I'm seeing things or expecting too much.  You can't play these games without being at least kind of a perfectionist.

I've been trying a few things for further comparison.

Video for comparison (not HD)
Video from .avi
Video from .mp4
Video from .mp4, with sharpness at 16 instead of 5

Comparing to a not-HD video is kind of unfair, but at least I know that the videos are of higher quality than some on the open Internet.  As far as the other three videos go, I think the quality improves from second to third to first, but the difference is negligible and uploading as .mp4 is faster by at least twenty times.  So... I think I'm done.  Thank you for your help!

----

Quick version of what I did:
*Download and install the following:
MSI Afterburner
VirtualDub
x264vfw codec - I don't remember there being anything particularly special about getting this working.
LAME 3.99.5 ACM codec - If you have an x64 computer like me, this download comes with a readme that's actually quite useful for getting this where it needs to go.  Otherwise you may be good for following the instructions here.
Freemake Video Converter - This isn't the download link but it'll tell you everything you need to know about it.

It may be worth the effort to check VirtualDub for whether you need either of the two codecs.  I needed both; I don't know if everyone will.

*Play game. :V
*Open MSI Afterburner and go to Settings -> Video Capture.  Set the video capture hotkey to something you're unlikely to press but easy to remember (I use Ctrl+F8).  Set video format to "uncompressed" (this will disable your ability to manipulate the slider below; this is okay).  Set Frame Size to Full Frame (I remember getting dubious quality with other settings) and framerate to 60 FPS.  Set the folder the videos go to to someplace you can find it.
*Record replay at full screen while MSI Afterburner is running.  MSI Afterburner will record the active window, not your desktop, but I got the best results from full-screen - though that may have been conflated with other fixes I made; I'm not sure.
*Open the .avi that you got from recording the video in VirtualDub. 
**Under Video, select Full Processing Mode. 
**In Video->Filters, click Add... and grab the resize filter.  You'll be prompted to specify a size; get the width to 720.  Everything else should be fine.  If you screw up, click Configure on the Filters pane.  Before you leave, grab the sharpen filter.  You can adjust the sharpening to whatever you like; I did okay with 16 but you're perfectly able to play around with it.  Setting it to max sharpness is hilarious but not something you'd want on a serious video.
**Under Video->Compression, choose the x264vfw.  This is the H.264 video codec mentioned here.  Click Configure, and set Rate Control to "Single Pass - lossless" (note that I'm just doing this because I'm sheeping the key word "lossless" wherever I see it).  Click "VirtualDub hack" in the output subpane.
**Under Audio->Compression, choose Lame MP3 and off to the side select the 256 kbps CBR option.  If Audio->Compression is greyed out, click "Full Processing Mode" down the Video dropdown first.
*Watch the before-and-after videos by pressing Enter.  You'd like your video to look as good as it can before it goes off to be mangled.  If you like it, save the .avi off somewhere.  Press Ctrl-S to save your video processing options so you don't have to repeat the VirtualDub set every time; you can just Ctrl-L the settings back.
*Open Freemake Video Converter.  Click Video and grab your processed .avi.  Click "To mp4" at the bottom.  The output parameters should be "same as source" and you should save it someplace where you can find it, per usual.  Run it.

You now have an .mp4 that's teeny (20 MB vs. 618 MB with the .avi, in the case of the videos shown in this post) and YouTube will happily accept this.  Mission accomplished!

The quality of the mp4 isn't going to match the quality of the .avi.  As far as I'm aware the only response available is to :dealwithit: .

If I missed something and it's not evident where, Google can be your friend as much as it was mine when going through this process.  I claim ignorance about anything that's too far away from what I described here.

---

Bonus tip:  If you're like me and the make of your computer is an HP Envy, you may have found that your Stereo Mix sounds garbled.  This actually isn't your fault and it's not the computer's fault; it's Microsoft's.  Go to Control Panel -> Sound -> Recording -> Stereo Mix -> Properties -> Advanced and uncheck the "Enable Audio Enhancements" box.  Insert your own joke here.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:38:58 PM by ?q »

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #344 on: March 23, 2014, 03:46:36 AM »
Is there not a way to join the multiple .avi's + .wav without VirtualDub? It keeps screwing the stuff when I try to use that.

This is what happens:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/363315-Having-a-lot-of-frustration-with-my-videos?p=2310700#post2310700

Sweetness and love~ ♥

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #345 on: March 27, 2014, 11:25:10 PM »
Without having worked with those programs, understanding exactly what you want to do, or even really knowing the problem ( :V ), I would recommend working with Avisynth.  A sketch of the program I'd use would look something like
Code: [Select]
video1 = AviSource("<path to video 1>", false)
video2 = AviSource("<path to video 2>", false)
video6 = AviSource("<path to video 6>", false)
fullvid = video1 + video2 + ... + video6        # splicing all the vids together; if videos were recorded separately use ++ instead of +

audio = WavSource("<path to audio file>")
finishedproduct = AudioDub(fullvid, audio)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:43:58 PM by ?q »

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #346 on: March 27, 2014, 11:48:25 PM »
While I'm here, a possibly-related post because I'm procrastinating life.

So You Want to Make a Montage of Separate Videos:

Short version:
Use Avisynth and something like
video1 = AviSource("<video path 1>")
video2 = AviSource("<video path 2>")
videoN = AviSource("<video path N>")
video1++video2++...videoN
then edit as normal with VDub.

Long version:
VDub uses unaligned splices for its Append command.  Basically, they were intended for back when recording software would split .AVI files into 2MB chunks, meaning everything was part of a contiguous whole to start with.  It's NOT meant for joining separate items together; that would require an aligned splice.  People have been asking for VDub to do aligned splices for at least twelve years now, so don't hold your breath on it getting that functionality anytime soon.

There are a couple of ways to go about getting things to work.  When I did my Last Word compliation I used a software that was literally called Free Video Joiner to put them together.  It is exactly what it says it is, and if you look at the video, you can see that there are basically no frills to the presentation - no nice fades or blurs, just a bunch of recorded segments one after another.  The result is pretty jarring to be honest, but at least the sound and the fury aligned.

That wasn't going to work for my most recent video, where fading in and out was an integral part of the presentation (presentation is as important as the content, if not more so!)  The easiest way to do this is with Avisynth, which is free and surprisingly easy to use for basic A/V manipulation.  Here's the wiki, from which you can find links to download the program and several basic tutorials from which you can probably get a sense of how to do whatever fancy tricks you're interested in.

To make the video I linked, I created a new notepad file and typed in the following code:
video = AviSource("<video path>")
video = video.Trim(130,5809)                       #I used VirtualDub to determine the precise frames I wanted to be visible
video = video.FadeIn(30)                           #Not much time for a fade-in, plus I start with a bunch of blank frames anyway so IN WITH COLOR
video = video.FadeOut(240)                         #Slow fade for contrast and to show that the stage goes on
clip = BlankClip(video, length=180, color=$000000) #180 black silent frames for the beginning
clip2 = BlankClip(video, length=60, color=$000000) #60 black silent frames for the end
clip+video+clip2                                   #appending them together
After doing so, I renamed the file to be an .avs file (if you can't do this, in your file explorer go to View -> Show/Hide -> File name extensions) and opened the .avs file in VirtualDub.  VDub will preprocess the .avs file, and you'll basically have your finished product right there.  If you're not using any filters through VDub, you may only want to deal with VirtualDub to check that your video looks good before you continue doing etc. and etc.

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #347 on: April 29, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »
I use Blueberry Flashback to record my replays. It isn't CPU intensive and if I use Full Frames (Uncompressed) the audio and video comes out good. I have yet to have any desyncing issues.
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #348 on: April 30, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
I use OBS, but I'm having a hard time to stream older Windows games. I already tried to stream them with Window Capture, but apparently I can't do it with fullscreen. To make it worse, the window only fills about 1/4th of the screen. Any help will be appreciated. Last but not the least, what's the recommended bitrate so that most people can watch them live? Since YouTube compresses the video uploaded into it, the quality won't be as good and I have a friend who can only watch my twitch videos on ~1500 kb/s, if I put it higher he can (presumably) watch them on YouTube but not on twitch. I don't mind the latter's option though.

Edit: Problem solved, the visible window bar is quite annoying though.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:30:41 AM by Szayelaporro Granz »
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

« Reply #349 on: October 30, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »
Looks like Youtube supports 60FPS now for 720p and 1080p. The tutorial shouldn't need any major changes though; just change the output framerate to 60FPS instead of 30.
60FPS Touhou on Youtube is gonna be great.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

microfolk

• I'ts absolutely
« Reply #350 on: October 30, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »
Looks like Youtube supports 60FPS now for 720p and 1080p. The tutorial shouldn't need any major changes though; just change the output framerate to 60FPS instead of 30.
60FPS Touhou on Youtube is gonna be great.

I'm going to upload so many videos now, this is really a great news!
I'll litter youtube with my shitty gameplays and nobody will be able to stop this 60fps badness.  :flowerpower:

« Reply #351 on: October 31, 2014, 04:32:27 PM »
I know Youtube supports 1440p, but does it support 4:3 1440p? Moreover, does it support 1440p 60FPS? 1440p is an integer multiple of 640x480, which means that Touhou videos scaled to pixel-perfect 1440p should look really good.
If no one's tried that, I might try it myself if I have time.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #352 on: October 31, 2014, 05:29:25 PM »
It should work if you pillarbox the video, assuming YT doesn't just ignore the black portions of the image and tries to stretch it anyway like it used to.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #353 on: November 01, 2014, 06:56:21 PM »
Well judging from the fact that you can upload 720p videos in 4:3, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same for 1440p.
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #354 on: November 03, 2014, 05:43:59 PM »
So I am sorry for not wanting to read 12 pages of information, but its the OP guide still any good?

All of my Touhou vids look blurry and in general look like crap.

However, I also edit them, and nowhere in the OP does mention that..

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #355 on: November 03, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »
I made all my videos using the OP guide and they look pretty good. I guess it's either the editing or you did something wrong...

As for whether the guide itself is any good...all the pictures come up with a "Click and discover Imageshack" and don't link anywhere. It's quite difficult to follow without using pictures so it seems the guide itself may not be good anymore, but the process it uses still works.

« Reply #356 on: April 17, 2015, 05:05:21 PM »
Are there any tweaks people have successfully made to record gameplay on lower-power computers? I've tried the OP's methods and μq's, and while I'm able to capture gameplay without a problem, the slowdown produced in-game is unreasonable. I've been messing around with different settings to mitigate slowdown -- using MSI Afterburner at 1/2 frame size, 30fps, and NV12 compression makes things run a little better -- but would of course prefer a recording method with no noticeable slowdown. A second computer somehow recording the monitor output of the first? Setting recording and gameplay to different processor affinities? I'm over my head, and I'm guessing others have encountered and dealt with this problem before.

(btw, I am on a lenovo thinkpad sl510 and recording Danmakufu.)

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #357 on: April 17, 2015, 09:53:52 PM »
Are there any tweaks people have successfully made to record gameplay on lower-power computers? I've tried the OP's methods and μq's, and while I'm able to capture gameplay without a problem, the slowdown produced in-game is unreasonable. I've been messing around with different settings to mitigate slowdown -- using MSI Afterburner at 1/2 frame size, 30fps, and NV12 compression makes things run a little better -- but would of course prefer a recording method with no noticeable slowdown. A second computer somehow recording the monitor output of the first? Setting recording and gameplay to different processor affinities? I'm over my head, and I'm guessing others have encountered and dealt with this problem before.

(btw, I am on a lenovo thinkpad sl510 and recording Danmakufu.)
The thing I wish I had remembered before the last processor-heavy video I recorded was setting Danmakufu to 1/2 frame rate.  It does look choppier but it's a lot better than doubling the length of your video due to slowdown.

« Reply #358 on: April 20, 2015, 05:39:10 PM »
The thing I wish I had remembered before the last processor-heavy video I recorded was setting Danmakufu to 1/2 frame rate.  It does look choppier but it's a lot better than doubling the length of your video due to slowdown.
This did the trick & my video's now up! Thank you!!

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #359 on: August 22, 2016, 01:15:43 AM »
I'd also like to add that in OBS Studio, you can record any Touhou gameplay in fullscreen 640x480, 60fps, and modify the settings such that the video resolution automatically outscales to 960x720 as output. This means that you can record any game in 640x480 and still manage to upload it to YouTube as 60fps, due to the output file being rendered in 720p instead of 480p. I personally use window record and select whatever game I am playing whenever I record.

And, on top of that, OBS Studio is completely free and open-source, so there's really no reason not to get it.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.