Author Topic: [ROGUE] Okay let's play some NetHack (and DCSS!) (and Angband!) (and Slash'em!)  (Read 172094 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Okay let's play some NetHack (and DCSS!) (and Angband!) (and Slash'em!)
« Reply #240 on: October 25, 2010, 11:40:03 PM »
Hey guess what YAFAP

The first line is the important one.

Notice the lack of a Bag of Holding, and the presence of a bag called Cancellation. That's because I dropped it on Earth to dig faster and not be stressed while fighting elementals. Then stepped through the damn portal without it.

Yeah, it was heavy enough to put me from normal to stressed. Because it had like 3 pages of wands.

Edit: Other fun facts:
-No altars spawned at all. None. I had only the guaranteed ones.
-I found maybe five scrolls of identification in total. I literally got more IDs off of thrones.
-So at one point, I got a wish off a throne; for a desperately needed cloak of magic resistance. I tried to wish for one, misspelled something, and instinctively hit an arrow key to go back and correct. Canceled out to the armor menu. Lost the wish (I got a random scrol.l). Devastated, I sat in the throne again. Got another wish. Then a genocide (Fuck you, Master Mind Filiters).
-That death? Lieutenant in like Dlvl:49 with a cockatrice corpse. Didn't know he picked it up (I just killed it). Came right up on me and beat me like a disobedient prostitute.
-Found a Wanda Wishes in The Valley of the Dead. Go figure. Never even used it all up.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:32:10 AM by Diamonds Purvis »

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #241 on: October 27, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »
Presenting! NetHack Fanart!

« Reply #242 on: October 27, 2010, 07:10:57 PM »
This is the best thing ever.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #243 on: October 27, 2010, 07:14:09 PM »
My god. It's full of Tsars.

« Reply #244 on: October 28, 2010, 04:06:33 PM »
A general warning: using a scroll of earth to escape a sticky situation is fairly risky.

As you read the scroll, it disappears.
The temple's ceiling rumbles above you!
The white unicorn is hit by a boulder!
You kill the white unicorn!
The imp is hit by a boulder!
You kill the imp!
You are hit by a boulder!
Wizard is about to die.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #245 on: October 29, 2010, 02:06:00 AM »
I got second place on triela for crawl would have gone further but Hydra's scare me and apparently swim.

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/maidenhack/Rikter/crawl/morgue-Rikter-20101028-142317.txt

Also had another top 10 score later the same day that was ruined by me messing up and walking straight into a 5-Headed Hydra I just barely escaped.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #246 on: October 29, 2010, 05:50:46 AM »
My friend keeps on demanding I give up NetHack and play Crawl.  I told him not until I ascend which means I'll probably never play it :ohdear:

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #247 on: October 29, 2010, 04:07:58 PM »
My friend keeps on demanding I give up NetHack and play Crawl.  I told him not until I ascend which means I'll probably never play it :ohdear:

Don't say that. We all learn from our failed runs and get a little farther as we go along. In fact, it's probably easier on a public server because you can loot the stuff from bones files, and if you happen to have a way to remove curses, it can make things go much more smoothly.

Keep at it!

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #248 on: October 29, 2010, 07:12:21 PM »
Don't say that. We all learn from our failed runs and get a little farther as we go along. In fact, it's probably easier on a public server because you can loot the stuff from bones files, and if you happen to have a way to remove curses, it can make things go much more smoothly.

Keep at it!
Unfortunately 1) I refuse to play easy mode (Dwarf Valkyrie), 2) I still don't know all the quirks about how things work (like I didn't know what #enhance was until like 2 weeks ago)

That being said I refuse to give up until I am the first rogue ascension >:(

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #249 on: October 29, 2010, 08:17:40 PM »
Unfortunately 1) I refuse to play easy mode (Dwarf Valkyrie), 2) I still don't know all the quirks about how things work (like I didn't know what #enhance was until like 2 weeks ago)

That being said I refuse to give up until I am the first rogue ascension >:(

1) Nothing wrong with that. I play pseudo-easy (Samurai) and pseudo-hard (Gnome Wizard).
2) I think we're all still learning things like that.

note to self, keep not playing Orc Rogue until TSO ascends

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #250 on: October 29, 2010, 09:14:07 PM »
Quote from: Baneling-chan
That being said I refuse to give up until I am the first rogue ascension

We're going to be fighting then :P. That's my next planned NH ascension.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #251 on: October 29, 2010, 10:23:12 PM »
Gah you already stole Tourist from me go find another role to play >:|

Matsuri

« Reply #252 on: October 29, 2010, 11:07:48 PM »
Hey UK, go for an Archaeologist ascension! :V

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #253 on: October 30, 2010, 06:46:58 AM »
To be honest, I'm going for all thirteen roles ascended during the dev/null tournament :P. In order of wikihack difficulty.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2010, 12:17:13 AM »
And thusly, SLASH'EM is defeated.

Fuck yeah

Things to note about this run:

4 of those 16 wishes were me artifact wishing for the Wallet of Perseus. There were about 12 artifacts in play by that point. Yeah. 4 of those wishes were for Blessed Figurines of Solars, which are the most broken pet ever. THEY ONE SHOT A RIDER! 3 of those wishes were for magic markers. 2 of those wishes were for healthstones. 1 set of 3, and 1 set of 2. 1 of those wishes was for a shirt. 1 was for a ring of free action. And finally, 1 was for Deep Dragon Scale Mail

Either way, the main thing is by the time I got wishes, I only needed 4 of them and I was kinda at a loss for what to wish for with the wand of wishing. I didn't actually GET a wish til Floor 30 though. But yeah, SLASH'EM is very much NetHack but MORE :O!

The early game is more brutal, the mid game is more frustrating, and the end game is more stupidly easy. With 6 blessed healthstones, I was HEALING FASTER THAN AN AIR ELEMENTAL IN THE PLANE OF AIR could pummel me with Debris. I don't think I even WENT below 200 HP in the Ass Troll plane.

Also, the only reason I wished for more than one Solar was, well, before the Ass Troll plane, I lost my first one. Turns out she was level teleported. FORTY ONE FLOORS UP!!! And then I was wishing for Solars for the Ass Troll plane to cut a path. Unfortunately NEITHER figurine gave me a pet. One peaceful, one hostile, no tame. I guess that was the game's hail mary for trying to beat me up.

Yes, I know, I was a Monk and basically pretended vegetarian conduct didn't exist, wore body armor (DUE TO TERRIBLE DESIGN, BY THE WAY! TO BE ASCENSION KITTED IN SLASH'EM, you have to have drain resist. And to have drain resist you can either get it from a weapon, armor, or amulet. Monks are kinda fucked there.), and would probably have wielded a weapon if punching things weren't so effective.

Also of note, I think after like, floor five the only time I WASN'T burdened was the Ass Troll plane, where I dropped half my wands and all my scrolls. A lot of blank ones and such.

But, that was SLASH'EM. I can rest easy knowing I never have to play it again. Ever.

Matsuri

« Reply #256 on: November 03, 2010, 04:38:11 PM »
ilu rdj

also, congrats UK :D

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #257 on: November 03, 2010, 10:48:10 PM »
That was amazing rdj. And thanks Matsy. I'm far from the best, but I do fairly decently. Seem to have an aptitude for luck :V.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #258 on: November 04, 2010, 07:18:58 PM »
Hydra's suck one ruined another good character I had who suprisingly wasn't a Pure Caster. I likely should have done that differently than I did though.

« Reply #259 on: November 06, 2010, 05:19:05 PM »
YAFAP

Some notes:
--I didn't identify enchant weapon or enchant armor until after getting the wand of wishing from the castle. This caused some concern going into the Valley of the Dead.
--I opted for Frost Brand + silver saber instead of the Tsurugi because if the Tsurugi got cursed, I wouldn't be able to use any items. Also, Frost Brand is great for freezing enemy potions.
--I tried killing Vlad with some silver dragon scales, but he killed himself with a wand of lightning instead.  :V
--Shroedinger's Cat was dead.
--I tried to aggravate Amaterasu Omikami before ascending, but only succeeded in dropping my Wisdom two points. Apparently I can't sacrifice anything other than the Amulet on the altar.
--Next time I play, gremlins are going to be a mandatory genocide, I swear to God.

Now to try it with Wizard!

« Reply #260 on: November 18, 2010, 10:53:07 PM »
Bringing this back before it goes over the "hey don't bump this" threshold.

How's the NetHack tourney going, people that are doing it? I'm not really confident that I'll be able to score an ascension for us, given my games so far:

1) Eaten by a grue.
2) Eaten by a grue.
*grue challenge canceled*
3) Killed by a plains centaur after reaching the Oracle.
4) Killed by something that I can't remember after reaching the Oracle.
5) Killed by Team a after looting Sokoban and on my way back to do the mines.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2010, 11:37:21 PM »
I've lost two ascension kitted characters to stupid things. This tournament is going terribly for me :V.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #262 on: November 30, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
Crawl loves enemy generic Ogres i've been seeing tons of them recently.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #263 on: November 30, 2010, 02:43:56 PM »
SSH fixed for all 2 of you that use it.

Tjr

• Tjr - NetHackWiki, the NetHack wiki
please update wiki links
« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2010, 04:48:05 AM »
The NetHack wiki has moved to http://NetHackWiki.com. Would you please update the links in this thread?

You likely know from the situation at Touhou wiki that the old site is a trap to unsuspecting visitors. I would really appreciate your help sending people to the active wiki.

Anthy Himematsy:
* http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,7037.msg429513.html#msg429513,
* http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,7037.msg430971.html#msg430971

Arashi Kurobara:
* http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,7037.msg436582.html#msg436582
* http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,7037.msg433994.html#msg433994

Mrow TSO-Tung:
* http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,7037.msg455408.html#msg455408

E-Nazrin:
* http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,425.msg17935.html#msg17935

I'm sorry I can't PM you -- I don't have permission on this forum.
Tjr (admin at NetHackWiki).

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #265 on: December 03, 2010, 04:58:03 AM »
Oh wow, how'd you find us, Tjr? I didn't realize we had any links here or else I would have brought it up outside the IRC channel ^-^;.

« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2010, 05:03:30 AM »
Fixed mine, just for reference.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2010, 07:31:51 AM »
I had no idea we had anything likned here on the site.  Wwe're slowly updatiing the links on our channel bot.  Thanks for the heads up!

Herasy

« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2010, 06:43:25 PM »
Herasy the (Archeologist) Hand of Elbereth has ascended!

VICTORY

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!

Tjr

• Tjr - NetHackWiki, the NetHack wiki
Re: please update wiki links
« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2010, 07:01:46 PM »
I found you because I'm systematically going through links to the old wiki. Yahoo Site Explorer is the best available tool.

Arashi Kurobara, thanks for fixing your share of links.

Would you please grant me the right to private message? I'd like to ask Anthy Himematsy, Mrow TSO-Tung, E-Nazrin about their links.