Author Topic: [ROGUE] Okay let's play some NetHack (and DCSS!) (and Angband!) (and Slash'em!)  (Read 172540 times)

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
Re: Okay let's play some NetHack (and DCSS!)
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2010, 06:45:37 PM »
OH HEY, THE LINK CHANGED :V!

So yeah
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:59:41 PM by UncertainKitten »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2010, 06:49:21 PM »
Bzzzzzt

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Matsuri

« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2010, 06:54:17 PM »
Man, UK was tearing it up that round, too :<

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2010, 10:31:05 PM »
I think CTRL-Q unfreezes it, I'm not sure though.

Worked just now, so thanks.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2010, 10:47:50 PM »
So apparently, doing ANYTHING while standing on an Elbereth that was written in magic marker will cause it to smudge.

Ugh.

« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »
So apparently, doing ANYTHING while standing on an Elbereth that was written in magic marker will cause it to smudge.

Ugh.

Only permanent means of engraving are wands of fire or lightning.

ebarrett

« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2010, 08:01:07 AM »
Interesting. Might as well experiment with DCSS 0.7 on the shrinemaiden server before jumping back to CAO and further ruining my win ratio  :V

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2010, 08:16:35 AM »
Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough.  You MUST quit with Q when playing Nethack, don't just close your terminal/PuTTY/whatever.  If your game freezes try Ctrl-Q first.  Disconnect as a last resort and LET ME KNOW.  DCSS doesn't need this treatment, but I would appreciate it if you did quit out properly rather than just DCing just in case.

I just killed two hung process from Herasy.  I have no way of fixing the bug as of right now so please, I ask you guys play fairly or I'll have to setup a script that just kills indiscriminately if it sees a hung process.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2010, 05:06:36 PM »

Ugh.

Non-permanent engraving will degrade even if you're doing nothing, actually. It doesn't degrade when you levitate over it, though. An early ring of levitation, or boots of levitation if you can uncurse it (having cursed levitation is a major trouble so #praying when you don't have a more serious problem will uncurse it for you), you're golden for much of early game.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 05:11:43 PM by RegalStar »

Matsuri

« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »
So I decided I wanted to give SLASH'EM a try. I can't get the graphical interface and stuff to work right, so I'm just using telnet for now.

For those interested in giving it a try.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »
I have bad memories with SLASH'EM. I managed to find a Wand of Wishing on dlvl1 and guess what happened next? I FREAKING KICKED DOWN A SHOPKEEPER'S DOOR ON DLVL2. God, I hadn't died in such a ridiculously stupid way in AGES.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2010, 02:59:19 AM »
FUCKING LAVA

And I COULD HAVE LIVED!

« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »
This is why you need to time your prayers carefully. I wasn't quite at the "hey I'm dying heal me now" threshold. >_<

I'd gotten a couple cave spiders as pets in that run, too...but I think they got lost.

EDIT: First one to loot the sack gets a prize!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:54:31 PM by rdj522 »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2010, 05:22:58 PM »
Ugh I can't get the dumplog working right and neither can I find a public mail patch for DCSS (gonna email one of the server admins that has it and see if they'll share).

Also any other roguelikes you guys want to try?  I'm probably going to get multiband/mangband working this weekend.

Matsuri

« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2010, 05:34:41 PM »
I'll try anything, really. I'm not too familiar with the genre, so anything works for me. :3

Tengukami

« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »
My best run yet!

Valkyrie Dwarf really is the Easy Mode of Nethack.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2010, 10:53:41 PM »
So... uh... have fun, whoever finds my last bones. >_>

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2010, 11:05:01 PM »
FUCK YOU GAME. FUCK YOU IN THE ASS WITH MJOLLNER THROWN THERE BY A VALK WITH 25 STRENGTH! THEN JAM A WAND OF CANCALLATION IN YOUR ASS AND SIT IN A BAG OF FUCKING HOLDING YOU MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF SHIT.

I PUT THAT FUCKING AMULET ON!!!!

No. This was bullshit. BULL
SHIT.

Tengukami

« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2010, 10:27:29 AM »
You finished #1 on the server. The hell are you shouting about?

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #169 on: September 24, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
Well, at the time I had a third amulet of lifesaving, as you could see in my inventory. I thought I put it on but I apparently didn't. I was running from the wizard and actually had a decent shot at ascending.

I probably would have made it if I hadn't been mind flayer'd earlier and forgot the layout. I should have written a scroll of magic mapping. Honestly, there was SO MUCH I could have done but didn't, leading to my demise.

Tengukami

« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2010, 03:57:48 PM »
Yeah, Purvis explained ascension to me earlier. Sorry.

Matsuri

« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2010, 01:44:32 PM »
Most of you have probably heard this by now, but #maidenhack has now been relocated to ppirc. Join us there!

Tengukami

« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2010, 02:02:09 AM »
I think I enjoy playing as monk. Those trolls hit fast, apparently, but this was my best run yet.

EDIT: Most fun moment - slaughtering a leprechaun hall wielding a cockatrice corpse.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:31:02 AM by Tsukiko »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2010, 02:31:22 AM »
Angband installed, tell me if it acts funny.

Tengukami

« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2010, 02:33:40 AM »
Heh, neat. I'll have to try this out. Set-up seems fine.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: Okay let's play some NetHack (and DCSS!)(and Angband!)
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2010, 04:27:11 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot I recompiled Nethack to fix a few bugs (no more ! screwing you up and hopefully I fixed the lost process bug).  In doing so I accidentally wiped the high score list and I've changed where death logs are stored.

Your latest log is now http://www.shrinemaiden.org/maidenhack/yourusername/dumplog/lastgame.txt not %d.txt

Eventually I will have it setup to archive all your dumplogs by time of death so you don't need to worry about pastebinning your last dumplog or losing it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 04:29:11 PM by ♪ Baneling-chan ♫ »

« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2010, 06:43:06 PM »
Well, that was a good first non-level-0-death run.

What confuses me is how Angband calculates game turns. Does resting drastically up the counter? I ask because I feel like there was some time wasted somewhere...

Tengukami

« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
YASD

So Reagan and I slaughter everything in the throne room. I'm out of healing potions, so I #pray. My diety is apparently on the rag, because she knocks me down to 1 HP and takes me down from 7 to 6 XP. Then I sit on the throne ...

ebarrett

« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2010, 02:20:17 AM »
nobody ever plays DCSS

:<

« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2010, 02:21:45 AM »
nobody ever plays DCSS

I've been playing some locally. Easing into it with tiles like I did for NetHack. =P