Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 98621 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #420 on: August 09, 2015, 01:15:16 AM »
Now I'm also 3 for 3 in maxing my Splatfest rank, Hot Dog King. Ugh, never thought I'd say those three words in my life. I'm more than willing to give that title back along with my Splatfest Tee when it's all over.

I juat keep getting Marshmallow Vs. Marshmallow matches over and over. It sucks.

Also, FUCK Moray Towers. Worst map in game, please stop putting me on it 2/3 matches.
Related story, I managed to catch a couple matches on a stream earlier, and both of them were Marsh vs. Marsh. Then I caught another match close to dinner, and that was also Marsh vs. Marsh. It's been apparent the whole day that Hot Dogs are less popular, but by how much remains to be seen. Wouldn't it be ironic if this Splatfest, the first after increasing the win multiplier specifically so popularity isn't as influential, ended up having the most lopsided popularity vote in Splatfest history? :V

Yeah, Moray Towers is definitely not an easy map. I had trouble with it earlier today as well, but a lot of that was unfamiliarity on my part. After playing on it for a while today and learning more of the layout, I did eventually notice some improvement. Keeping track of enemies above you is pretty killer though.

what was everyone's weapons? I used the Slosher because the maps was just asking for it, followed by the carbon roller and then the Sploosh-a-matic for the last stretch. I don't use the Sploosh normally in normal turf wars but man beacon + killer wail is a pretty great support combo.
Jr. as always, though I did use the Tentatek for a bit until I got more comfortable with Camp Triggerfish and Moray Towers. Yeah, I did see a lot of Sloshers today. They're surprisingly effective at filling my Bubbler with this rotation.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #421 on: August 09, 2015, 01:45:56 AM »
what was everyone's weapons? I used the Slosher because the maps was just asking for it, followed by the carbon roller and then the Sploosh-a-matic for the last stretch. I don't use the Sploosh normally in normal turf wars but man beacon + killer wail is a pretty great support combo.
Splattershot Jr all day every day

Jr. as always
hi5 Splattershot Jr buddy

Edit: I ripped through this early this morning from about 6 AM to around 10 AM, took a while because some of my matches we were just getting fucking destroyed by Marshmallow. I still hate both Camp Triggerfish and Moray Towers, but I definitely got better at them. Skatepark was great, I had a 12-1 game, a 14-2 game and a game when we held Marshmallow to only 3.3% in a 4v4 match. Brutal.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:52:04 AM by Rin Kagamine »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #422 on: August 09, 2015, 02:28:50 AM »
Took me ~5 hours to become Queen Of Marshmallows. A LOT of that was just sitting in lobbies though. I read two complete Jacques Tardi graphic noels while I was waiting for matchups. Mostly did pretty well. Lot more win streaks than lose streaks. Had one decent team for a very long stretch, and a team only needs to be decent when you play together for that long.

I just used Aerospray for every single match all day. It wrecks shit on Camp Triggerfish, is okay on the skate park, and kind of sucks on Moray Towers.

Yeah, Moray Towers is definitely not an easy map. I had trouble with it earlier today as well, but a lot of that was unfamiliarity on my part. After playing on it for a while today and learning more of the layout, I did eventually notice some improvement. Keeping track of enemies above you is pretty killer though.
Jr. as always, though I did use the Tentatek for a bit until I got more comfortable with Camp Triggerfish and Moray Towers. Yeah, I did see a lot of Sloshers today. They're surprisingly effective at filling my Bubbler with this rotation.

I did get a lot better at Moray Towers after like a billion consecutive games on it. It's still a shitty map for Aerospray, but I got better at it. If I have a weak team there's not a ton I can do since I can't really spread out and take down chunks of terrain, but as long as we're doing well I can at least hold down the central area pretty effectively, where it's level and I have a little more room to move.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #423 on: August 09, 2015, 05:05:29 AM »
NA Splatfest results are in.

Marshmallows: 64% popularity, 48% wins
Hot Dogs: 36% popularity, 52% wins

Final score: Marshmallows 256, Hot Dogs 244

Welp, I wasn't too far off with the popularity being so lopsided. >.<
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #424 on: August 09, 2015, 09:51:04 AM »
I have no motivation to grind out S rank.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #425 on: August 09, 2015, 10:12:41 AM »
I had another solid team for almost all matches. Played straight on from Champion 20p to King. In all of the matches I've only lost 2. South Pole imo should be strong because only 2-3 matches gave me trouble with relative close call/wins.

None of the lobby waits were longer than 60s. Streamed also the entire thing on NicoNico for a change to charm the Japanese people. Showing them how easy it is lovely it is in EU :V

Loadout:
Weapon - Splattershot Jr all the way! Bubbler too strong to make agressive moves on the enemy. And also extreme good paint weapon and pretty much kills everything in 1v1 up the face, regardless of double-splat or not.
Head - Contacts (Special up)
Shirt - SplatFest tee with Special saver (it got 3x dmg up on it  :V lucky me)
Feet - Special up (RED SHOES, 300% MORE INKING UP)

This Ika-chan stuck with me for last dunno how many matches. We rocked the place together hard, like King & Queen.

[attach=1][attach=2]

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:24:03 AM by Helepolis »

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #426 on: August 09, 2015, 10:47:20 AM »
what was everyone's weapons?

I used the Carbon Roller for the first few matches; just on a whim more than anything. After I had a break to allow Puppy to work on her side of things (she went for North Pole), I swapped out to the N-ZAP '89. The Sprinkler was pretty damn useful in every map; the Towers especially. Plenty of times, we just caught the other team unaware; and you'll be surprised how many players target the sprinklers instead of, you know, the squid that actually threw it~ :V

Puppy had an issue where she kept getting paired with people who just derped around. South didn't get that on our end that much; though we did have matches where the odd squid would drop out. So we'll see how things shape up~

Also, congrats to Team Marshmallow! If I was in the States, I would have likely voted for Hot Dogs... maybe that's a sign of things to come for me when our results get revealed~ ><

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #427 on: August 09, 2015, 10:55:07 AM »
and you'll be surprised how many players target the sprinklers instead of, you know, the squid that actually threw it~ :V
I shoot at the sprinkler whenever I pass one since 9 times of 10 the thrower just "set it and forget it" and they go away with only a few shots. Squids that do pop up means FIREFIGHT!!!!!!!

NA Splatfest results are in.

Marshmallows: 64% popularity, 48% wins
Hot Dogs: 36% popularity, 52% wins

Final score: Marshmallows 256, Hot Dogs 244

Welp, I wasn't too far off with the popularity being so lopsided. >.<
I will accept this moral victory on behalf of team Hot Dog because holy shit when I was playing we were getting absolutely decimated by Marshmallow once people started to wake up on the east coast.

Clearly wins should now be worth x10 lol

« Reply #428 on: August 09, 2015, 03:09:52 PM »
Went and picked up the Wii U today. And wow, Helepolis was right, Splatoon is fun. Motion controls took a bit of time to get used to, but I sure am surprised with its accuracy. Also Splattershot Jr is amazing.

http://puu.sh/jv70Q/4315eab79f.jpg
http://puu.sh/jv717/9b6f4b00d8.jpg

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #429 on: August 09, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »
Went and picked up the Wii U today. And wow, Helepolis was right, Splatoon is fun. Motion controls took a bit of time to get used to, but I sure am surprised with its accuracy. Also Splattershot Jr is amazing.

http://puu.sh/jv70Q/4315eab79f.jpg
http://puu.sh/jv717/9b6f4b00d8.jpg
Welcome to the Turf wars kid. Now on your way to become fresh and a squid.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #430 on: August 09, 2015, 04:10:08 PM »
Someone should make us a sig tag so everyone knows who's on the squad

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #431 on: August 09, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »
SplatFest EU over, watching warmly as Aori-chan and Hotaru-san are preparing (resting).

Have to say that the games were way more suffering around these hours. Lots of clueless people, not enough punch. Clueless people are easily detected when they start paining every millimetre of the map when the match kicks off :V

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #432 on: August 09, 2015, 05:28:05 PM »
I think I'm going to have to start playing Subweapon Efficiency with the Aerospray. Dropping a Seeker and then running with it spraying right in front of it is a great, safe way to flush out hidden enemies, but the situations where it can be used are few because you usually have so little ink left after dropping one. Unfortunately everything I have with it is weird-looking. I technically like the look of the Octoling armor, but it doesn't go with much.

Speaking of clueless teammates, I had two matches last night with a Charger guy who never left our starting platform. He was connected, since he would swim back and forth and occasionally take pointless shots at nothing, but he seemed to think the object of the game was to never die and make sure no enemies got into our starting area. He was weirdly high-rank, too. Maybe he was super jumping out and then back sometimes trying to use Recon and I just missed it, but he ended both games 0-0 in last place. Needless to say, we lost those games.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #433 on: August 09, 2015, 06:01:08 PM »
EU Results
North pole vs South pole
52 - 48%
49 - 52%
244 - 256

HOTARU-SUWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #434 on: August 09, 2015, 06:31:03 PM »
I cheered so loudly! Kamiko (name of my Inkling) is now 3-0 with the Splatfests; and finally, a certain other sister gets the love she deserves~ XD

Also, Puppy is mad that she is now 1-2; the one time she was on the winning side was when, you guessed it, she picked the same as me. That was fun~ <3

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #435 on: August 09, 2015, 06:58:09 PM »
Puppy shouldn't be complaining, I'm 0 for 3. :V

On a side note, I'm starting to consider skipping future Splatfests. The main reason I've kept playing them was because I wanted snails to reroll my gear, but after this last one I've now gotten some rolls I can live with, so I have no more use for my remaining snails. Although it's improved since the beginning, Splatfests still strike me as just an inferior Turf War format. It's very telling when the Japanese players you face in solo queues tend to have more stable connections than the people in your own region.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #436 on: August 09, 2015, 07:05:28 PM »
I cheered so loudly! Kamiko (name of my Inkling) is now 3-0 with the Splatfests; and finally, a certain other sister gets the love she deserves~ XD

Also, Puppy is mad that she is now 1-2; the one time she was on the winning side was when, you guessed it, she picked the same as me. That was fun~ <3
I am surprised husband and wife can get along like that.  :V :V :V :V

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #437 on: August 09, 2015, 09:15:07 PM »
If we had a 2nd Wii U console, it would be easier~ :V

But to be fair, she plays in much shorter bursts than me. {I stayed up till about 3am for the first Splatfest} That, and we often rotate for when one wants a break, or is preparing food. When we did team up, the rotation worked smoothly~ XD

Puppy shouldn't be complaining, I'm 0 for 3. :V

Ouch! *hugs*

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #438 on: August 09, 2015, 10:12:46 PM »
On a side note, I'm starting to consider skipping future Splatfests. The main reason I've kept playing them was because I wanted snails to reroll my gear, but after this last one I've now gotten some rolls I can live with, so I have no more use for my remaining snails. Although it's improved since the beginning, Splatfests still strike me as just an inferior Turf War format. It's very telling when the Japanese players you face in solo queues tend to have more stable connections than the people in your own region.

Well I'd say to play a bit just to get a handful of snails each time (like maybe until defender or champion at least?) so when there's even more new gear you can add more slots/rerolls but also just for the excitement of choosing a side and playing for it

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #439 on: August 10, 2015, 12:34:54 AM »
Well I'd say to play a bit just to get a handful of snails each time (like maybe until defender or champion at least?) so when there's even more new gear you can add more slots/rerolls but also just for the excitement of choosing a side and playing for it
That first part is what I've been doing this whole time, like I said in my last post. I'm not familiar with all the new gear from this update, but I also don't see much reason for me to change what I've got now, unless a brand new ability is introduced down the line or something. I also don't care about leveling up gear that I never plan on using anyway, though I'll still buy them if only to complete my collection.

I'm not the kind of person that gets too worried about "defending" whichever side I might pick. I like what I like. A mere contest is not gonna do anything to change that. Not to mention I don't have much respect for how the Splatfest system actually works (and no, the x4 multiplier was never really going to "solve" this issue, just mitigate it somewhat). I'm only speaking for myself here of course, but I just don't get much excitement from this like you're suggesting.

Being on a team of friends that I can actually coordinate with, however, now that is stimulating. :V Giving players that option during Splatfests was indeed a good move on Nintendo's part.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #440 on: August 10, 2015, 11:52:41 PM »
Is Moray Towers the only stage in this game now? The last what, five times I've sat down to play it was one of the stages up. Well that's fine, right? There are two stages, so I won't have to play on it that much. Oh wait, that's wrong, Moray Towers five times in a row.:colonveeplusalpha:

Edit: Also, how does ranked scoring work? I've been consistently doing three wins to two losses all afternoon and I'm not making any progress because even then I'm losing as many points as I'm winning. What's the system for determining that?

Edit edit: Oof, finally rank B. When I got to B- I felt like B- about approximated my skill level, and now that I'm in B I feel like I could accurate be described as a B-tier player. That's pretty cool. Only problem is, I kind of want to learn the Ranged Blaster for Tower Control and I don't think this is the place/time to do it. Maybe next time I get booted back down to the even-more-minors I'll give it a go.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:49:29 AM by commanderool »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #441 on: August 11, 2015, 05:41:39 AM »
Edit: Also, how does ranked scoring work? I've been consistently doing three wins to two losses all afternoon and I'm not making any progress because even then I'm losing as many points as I'm winning. What's the system for determining that?
At low rank you gain lots of points for a win but beyond B- I believe it is by default
- Winning is +10
- Losing is -10

But if there are more higher ranked people in your team compared to the enemy. Example: your team has A A B- B- and enemy has B- B B+ B then:
- Winning is ~8p
- Losing is up to 14p possible.

If the enemy has more high ranks together, then it is the other way around where losing will deduct less and winning will grant you more.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #442 on: August 11, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »
Oh interesting. I was trying to figure out the pattern and that didn't even occur to me. Thanks.

pasu

« Reply #443 on: August 11, 2015, 03:15:33 PM »
At low rank you gain lots of points for a win but beyond B- I believe it is by default
- Winning is +10
- Losing is -10

But if there are more higher ranked people in your team compared to the enemy. Example: your team has A A B- B- and enemy has B- B B+ B then:
- Winning is ~8p
- Losing is up to 14p possible.

If the enemy has more high ranks together, then it is the other way around where losing will deduct less and winning will grant you more.

Oh so that's how it works! Sometimes I had +8 and I was kinda confused and I assumed the points differed whether it was a knockout or not.

I kind of want to learn the Ranged Blaster for Tower Control and I don't think this is the place/time to do it. Maybe next time I get booted back down to the even-more-minors I'll give it a go.

That or find a friend to squad battle with, I'll say. I felt like I was free to experiment with more weapons in ranked with a friend because I know my friend was good enough for me to not have to carry (or something like that) I always pick weapons in ranked that I'm good enough with to sort of carry at least one team mate...

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #444 on: August 11, 2015, 04:03:22 PM »
I always pick weapons in ranked that I'm good enough with to sort of carry at least one team mate...

To be fair, I'm pretty much the same. I'll mess around with all of the weapons in the normal mode, then once I know I'm good with set ones, I'll take them into Ranked. Mind you, I haven't been on Rank for ages~ XD

Might think about streaming some squid action either tonight or tomorrow. Not sure yet, but if anyone is interested in invading it, let me know~

EDIT : SURPRISE! We're doing it now! Twitch link here!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #445 on: August 11, 2015, 05:45:21 PM »
Joining Kanjou as we speak V:  prepared to get Ink'd.

Edit: End of stream :V

Edit 2 Omfg I just rolled 3x sub Ink saver on my Red Ink saver shoes. My gear is almost perfect.

Contacts - rolled 2x Special up as sub 1x def (bleh)
Shirt - Undecided, happen to roll 3x power up for now.
Shoes - rolled 3x Special saver.

From 38 snails down to 9  :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:16:40 PM by Helepolis »

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #446 on: August 11, 2015, 08:04:59 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted here, but it seems different gear have different chances for sub statsr sub stats

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #447 on: August 11, 2015, 08:08:31 PM »

pasu

« Reply #448 on: August 11, 2015, 09:12:33 PM »
wait whaaat  :o nooooo i missed out a chance to play with you guys awww darn it

Meanwhile my new snails have been spent on getting extra slots on the new gear (esp the ika musume and sushi chef ones)

Might think about streaming some squid action either tonight or tomorrow. Not sure yet, but if anyone is interested in invading it, let me know~

will you possibly be streaming tomorrow? if you are i'll highly likely inkvade it  :3

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #449 on: August 12, 2015, 12:05:19 AM »
Joining Kanjou as we speak V:  prepared to get Ink'd.

Edit: End of stream :V

Yeah. You jumped on right as I was gearing to stop for food. Glad we got two matches at least; both of which were on the same team! Was awesome playing with you, and the fact we won both was a sweet bonus~ XD

Also, sorry pasu; it's certainly on the cards for tomorrow (which is now today because 1:05am) so it'll be the question of what time I'll be doing so. Not sure yet, but will keep you all posted.