Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 98621 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 14, 2015, 12:30:07 AM »
Just got my ethernet adapter in the mail, and first game out after setting it up I had significant lag and then disconnected after ninety seconds. What the flying fuck do I have to do to be able to actually use this console? Is my Wii U broken? Is my modem broken? Am I just an idiot and I've somehow been setting up my connections wrong every single time? If anyone has any advice or suggestions at all, please share them. I've tried everything I can think of and everything I can find and nothing works.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #211 on: July 14, 2015, 05:49:06 AM »
I'm sorry for asking the following dumb / stupid questions but we need to get an overview:
- Was it lagging on Wifi before?
- How is your network setup in the house/room (are you behind a switch etc, routers, number of devices)

Also go through the following:
- Get on LAN with a laptop/pc (utp cable) Output a ping to 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS server) and your router. What is the latency?
- Get on WiFi with a laptop/pc and output same ping. Latency?
- Use the USB Ethernet Adapter you purchased for your laptop/pc and ping. Latency?
- Use the USB Ethernet Adapter for your laptop/pc, download a large file and ping. Monitor your latency / disconnects etc
- ISP speeds? (up/down)

Especially when using the USB Adapter and testing > packet losses (time outs) or high latency ms can explain your issues.

Without the adapter, if you don't have the packet loss, time outs or latency then your adapter might be faulty / unstable.

Also curious, which one did you buy?

Edit:

Regarding abilities on your main or as sub, I've been diving into this information multiple times. There are many many useful ones but also few of them are limited but yet crucial. For example: Ink resistance is just too good to ignore. I have seen people ignoring it, but those are usually rollers. I myself am blaster / shooter user and thus Ink Resistance will allow me to operate better. But I will definitely try different things soon.

Any way, there are diminishing returns on the abilities. Though even if there are, sometimes it is good to stack them. An example I found is the special saver when you get splatted: http://i.imgur.com/3lDbZud.jpg . Notice how much loss is prevented by stacking it. There is also a video about run speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCiVIFGQDCo

I myself am waiting for the next splatfest to stack dmg. Because I want to one-shot people if I fire with my custom blaster near them. With my current gear: Main dmg up, 2x sub dmg up it doesn't.

I've seen also people use 3x Spawntime reduction on their main resulting in fast spawning. For Ranked this can be extremely important too.

Edit 2
A channel named Nintendojo analysis also the abilities and with examples. I've noticed that swim speed is actually useless to have.

[11:30:55] <Helepolis> seems that swim speed is hardly effective
[11:31:14] <Helepolis> 3x main swim = 0,40 faster
[11:31:27] <Helepolis> normal did 2,84s  and 3x main is 2,42
[11:31:40] <Helepolis> this sounds like ditching swim speed is a thing
[11:38:48] <Helepolis> man i will definitely ditch swim speed with next splatfest

Same goes for bomb throw range.

What really counts and makes a huge difference is Jump/respawn timer reduction, Special gauge increase, special duration and Special gauge reduction when splatted. Damage and defence are unknown. But I did myself few basic tests and noticed initial damage increase on Splattershot Pro for example. With 2x main and 2x sub I did 99,9 dmg in 3 shots on regular target. Meaning probably with 2x main and 3x sub the Splattershot Pro will 3 shot Inklings but will waste 2 main slots.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:19:28 AM by Helepolis »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »
I'm sorry for asking the following dumb / stupid questions but we need to get an overview:
- How is your network setup in the house/room (are you behind a switch etc, routers, number of devices)

- Get on LAN with a laptop/pc (utp cable) Output a ping to 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS server) and your router. What is the latency?
- Use the USB Ethernet Adapter you purchased for your laptop/pc and ping. Latency?
- Use the USB Ethernet Adapter for your laptop/pc, download a large file and ping. Monitor your latency / disconnects etc
- ISP speeds? (up/down)

Especially when using the USB Adapter and testing > packet losses (time outs) or high latency ms can explain your issues.

Without the adapter, if you don't have the packet loss, time outs or latency then your adapter might be faulty / unstable.

Edit:

-Under normal circumstances my wifi lags severely some of the time. It's usually not bad in the same room as the modem though, which my console now is.

-Setup is a modem in the same room as the console (about three feet apart, although sometimes it's as little as inches and doesn't seem to make a difference. No router, between one and seven devices, typically three or four. Modem is new within the last six weeks.

-I bought a generic adapter. Tested it with my laptop before using with Wii and didn't notice any problems, but I didn't quantify it in any way.

On the way to work right now, but when I get home later I'll do all of the specific tests you mentioned and extrapolate/report back.

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #213 on: July 14, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »

And yeah, I wish I could use chargers. I wish there were single-player turf wars options so I could test weird weapons without tanking whatever team I end up on, but I guess that wouldn't be that useful.

You could go into recon mode  :V Where it's just you and no one else in the map

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »
Recon is great, especially for when new maps come out. You want a good general idea of the vantage points, so you can adapt set weapons for each strategy. Same goes for new game modes; I know I did that for the Tower mode as set bits in the map change to adapt to the setting...

Mind you, this coming from the person who normally leaps straight into action~ XD

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2015, 02:03:05 PM »
You could go into recon mode  :V Where it's just you and no one else in the map

Oh shit I didn't realize that was what that did. Still of slightly limited use without moving targets, but handy for when new maps come out..

Speaking of trying weapons, has anyone played the two-player game? I tried it on Saturday with a guy from my building and it was fine. Not terribly deep or interesting, but it's not nothing. Might be fun to test stuff occasionally.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #216 on: July 14, 2015, 05:32:51 PM »
What really counts and makes a huge difference is Jump/respawn timer reduction, Special gauge increase, special duration and Special gauge reduction when splatted. Damage and defence are unknown. But I did myself few basic tests and noticed initial damage increase on Splattershot Pro for example. With 2x main and 2x sub I did 99,9 dmg in 3 shots on regular target. Meaning probably with 2x main and 3x sub the Splattershot Pro will 3 shot Inklings but will waste 2 main slots.
Damage up is specifically designed so that no matter how much you stack, shots to kill won't decrease. One main defence up neutralises all damage ups.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #217 on: July 14, 2015, 07:52:45 PM »
Speaking of trying weapons, has anyone played the two-player game?

Yeah, I've done so with a number of people. It's nice as a starter / warm up so people know the basis of the controls; and also gets you used to aiming as well. As mentioned, there's not much to it, but it helps in its own way~ XD

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #218 on: July 14, 2015, 08:23:41 PM »
Damage up is specifically designed so that no matter how much you stack, shots to kill won't decrease. One main defence up neutralises all damage ups.
So if I would get another sub dmg up, it would lesser my shot by 1 but any random 1 defence sub will immediately nullify that effect and thus make my damage up useless? Argh. I wonder then whether Damage up is viable for splash damage of Blasters. That is kind of the only reason I am considering.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2015, 12:39:23 AM »
Alright, time to play internet detective.

Don't be, assume this is me making a dumb mistake. Because it probably is.

Yes, inconsistently. Sometimes the connection was great all day, sometimes it was awful all day, sometimes it was mostly great but with one random disconnect.

As I said before, just the modem, same room as the console, number of devices varies considerably depending on who's home, average is probably four.

I don't own a UTP cable. Best I can do is ethernet (without the adapater).

Minimum 21ms, maximum 27ms, average 23ms.

Minimum 27ms, maximum 307ms, average 112ms.

Mimimum 20ms, maximum 29ms, average 23ms.

Minimum 20ms, maximum 40ms, average 28ms. No disconnects observed.

- ISP speeds? (up/down)

Average out of a number of tests for each done over half an hour or so. The very first adapter test I did had ~50mbps down on IPv4 for some reason, is that significant? It never repeated in the next half dozen tests. That was the only outstanding result.

With adapter:

Direct ethernet:

What should I consider high latency? Are the results I found consistent with inconsistent performance?

What's your diagnosis? I don't know what counts as significant, but my findings here don't seem too remarkable to me. Wireless is the worst, the adapter is significantly better, and the direct ethernet connection is slightly better than that. But I don't know what a good baseline is.

This one.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:42:06 AM by commandercool »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »
For games like Splatoon, anything above 90 I would personally consider laggy and anything above 150 just worse. Except Splatoon has no ingame Latency showing stats so we cannot verify this in the game it self.

Damn it. Those results make it harder to actually find logical explanation why your game lags then disconnects with the adapter. The biggest conflict I have is that on regular Wifi your WiiU/Splatoon is operating fine randomly you said and consistently worse now that you have the adapter. That is what is confusing me here.

The only diagnosis we can so far conclude is that your adapter is ok. Your network is also ok over ethernet / wired connection so our focus shifts to your WiiU. The only way we can ensure your WiiU is ok is by putting a new / other WiiU in your network and see the results. But I guess you don't have neighbours / friends / people you know who can help you out with this?

:ohdear:

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2015, 12:40:21 PM »
I should clarify that my connection is NOT consistently worse with the adapter. I haven't done a ton of testing yet, but it is better overall with the adapter than it was without. Sorry if I was unclear and made it sound otherwise. With the adapter I see fewer disconnects. However, I do still get disconnects and lag much more often than I would consider acceptable. My problem is not that it's gotten worse, but rather that it isn't completely (or at least nearly) fixed. Is that unreasonable? Should I assume a certain failure rate even in the best conditions?

I do have access to another Wii U, and I suppose some other wifi networks as well. That will be my next course of action then, shuffling around consoles abd connections to see what happens. The problem with that is that even before I got the adapter the connection problems were unpredictable, so short of swapping for weeks (which I don't think anyone wants to do) there's no way to confirm any results that I can think of.

At any rate, thanks a bunch for your help.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »
Ah then I completely misunderstood that. It almost sounded that with the adapter it became worse than your regular Wifi play. In that case though we still need to exclude/narrow down the problem. If another WiiU performs just as horrible then there is something still messing it up but you said your network doesn't have much crazy things or complicated setup so I am doubting anything is happening here.

I am myself also struggling with a current issue where my connection disappears and thus I get d/c as well. It is happening for a month now and random days/moments. Last two days I have been pinging non-stop to find the issue but it isn't occurring anymore. Troubleshooting network issues is suffering to the max. I am suspecting my router but yea, i need to reproduce the "error".

Because losing 10 points in ranked due d/c while winning is major rage.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2015, 01:29:04 PM »
Yeah, I feel like the Wii U is making this much harder than it needs to be with its bare-bones connection utilities. I need information and I can only gather it from one eeeeend.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #224 on: July 16, 2015, 01:26:51 AM »
I'm hype for splatfest, hopefully my internet will allow me to actually participate since I haven't been able to connect to matches at night for the past month (the only time I play)

Though I love Ran, I'm Team Yuyuko

Helepolis: I'm level 20 and still use the Jr for turf war because it's the bestest, but I'm still trying to find my best weapon in ranked. Used to use the Aerospray AG but got sick of the lack of range.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #225 on: July 16, 2015, 01:38:30 AM »
The game just put me on a team with three chargers (I was using an Aerospray, on Arowana Mall). Out of curiosity, what should I have been doing in that situation, aside from praying? I kind of split my time between inking in our own base because nobody else could do it and trying to push with charger support. It did not work at all, we lost horribly, but how much of that was my fault? Should I have trusted them to handle one job or the other and focused my attention more?

Still can't play against krakens. I don't know what to do, kraken seems to be a "kill entire opposing team and gain control of entire map" button. I've tried running and hiding, and they usually only pop it when I'm already within reach so it's too late. I've tried shooting them and have never once saved myself doing that. Anybody got any other ideas?

Edit: Ha ha wow, it just happened again, AND we got a disconnect. :V
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:48:28 AM by commandercool »

pasu

« Reply #226 on: July 16, 2015, 12:18:55 PM »
The game just put me on a team with three chargers (I was using an Aerospray, on Arowana Mall). Out of curiosity, what should I have been doing in that situation, aside from praying? I kind of split my time between inking in our own base because nobody else could do it and trying to push with charger support. It did not work at all, we lost horribly, but how much of that was my fault? Should I have trusted them to handle one job or the other and focused my attention more?

Still can't play against krakens. I don't know what to do, kraken seems to be a "kill entire opposing team and gain control of entire map" button. I've tried running and hiding, and they usually only pop it when I'm already within reach so it's too late. I've tried shooting them and have never once saved myself doing that. Anybody got any other ideas?

Edit: Ha ha wow, it just happened again, AND we got a disconnect. :V

Usually I'd be glad to have charger team mates on Arowana Mall, because once chargers get ahold of the chokepoints, your win is pretty secured. Well, that also depends on whether your chargers are good chargers too I guess? You might have been just plain unlucky.

Krakens swim at the same speed or slower than your own swim speed as a squid, so even if they're just a little distance away from you, if you start running (by swimming) they won't be able to catch up unless they corner you. Usually when I meet an enemy Kraken I just switch to squid form and swim backwards as far as I can. If you're still having trouble with krakens, I'd recommend you to try the kraken out for yourself, then you can see how and where they fall short as a special.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #227 on: July 16, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »
Vic, ye for Turfs I also prefer to use SplatterJr. Best overal weapon. For ranked, if it is TC I pick C.Blaster. I am trying to learn the Forge Splat Pro for TZ but game is hard.

Pasu was probably also leveling gear :V we played few turfs vs/with.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2015, 01:57:43 AM »
Usually I'd be glad to have charger team mates on Arowana Mall, because once chargers get ahold of the chokepoints, your win is pretty secured. Well, that also depends on whether your chargers are good chargers too I guess? You might have been just plain unlucky.

Sure, usually. But 3/4 chargers seems almost unusably inflexible to me. And that seemed true in practice, although whether that was all skill level or not is up for debate.

Krakens swim at the same speed or slower than your own swim speed as a squid, so even if they're just a little distance away from you, if you start running (by swimming) they won't be able to catch up unless they corner you. Usually when I meet an enemy Kraken I just switch to squid form and swim backwards as far as I can. If you're still having trouble with krakens, I'd recommend you to try the kraken out for yourself, then you can see how and where they fall short as a special.

Yeah, trying it myself is the best thing I suppose. I have a tiny amount of kraken experience from the couple of games I tried the Jet Squelcher before deciding I hated it, and every use of it during those games was at least a double kill, and often saving myself from certain death as well. But that's a tiny sample size, so I should try it a bunch more. None of the weapons that have it right now are anything I really know how to use though.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #229 on: July 17, 2015, 10:47:25 AM »
The Splatfest (for the Europe lot) is tomorrow, and what a time to sneak in two extra weapons. AND ONE OF THEM IS A BRAND NEW BRUSH! <3

No seriously, the Octobrush, and the N-ZAP89 are the next two weapons arriving tomorrow morning. I'm nicknaming the Octobrush 'The Nimbrush 2000' for anyone who also thinks it looks like a broomstick~ ^^

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #230 on: July 17, 2015, 11:12:09 AM »
Time to do my best again for Splatfest because I really need that gear reroll snails to pimp up my gear for performance in Ranked.

pasu

« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2015, 01:45:43 PM »
So hype for the Octobrush just by the name but I do wonder why they're calling it so when you transform into a kraken and not an octopus  :derp:

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #232 on: July 17, 2015, 02:42:15 PM »
Time to do my best again for Splatfest because I really need that gear reroll snails to pimp up my gear for performance in Ranked.

How do rerolls work? I tried it the other day and it seemed like you have to reroll the whole item every time, making getting what you want effectively impossible. Was I doing that wrong, or is it just that hard?

pasu

« Reply #233 on: July 17, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »
How do rerolls work? I tried it the other day and it seemed like you have to reroll the whole item every time, making getting what you want effectively impossible. Was I doing that wrong, or is it just that hard?

Yep it basically rerolls the 3 sub-skills randomly. I'm not sure what people aim for when doing a reroll, but usually I just hope for a useful skill than something I don't use (like bomb range up)

Yesterday I finished unlocking my Splatfest tee's skills, and luckily it wasn't all strength up again...

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2015, 03:07:54 PM »
Cool, thanks. I instantly regretted rerolling my glasses with two recovery-ups when I realized how it worked. Yeah, I just scrambled all of my stuff until I got no bomb ranges, since they don't even work with my main set.

So does that mean the people I see in the lobby with three matching slots on each item are just flaunting the fact that they're cheaters, or is that something else?

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #235 on: July 17, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
Each brand has an associated higher chance to get a certain sub ability (30%), and a lower chance to get another sub (3%).
Which is why everyone uses the Jungle Hat.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #236 on: July 17, 2015, 04:20:17 PM »
Oh wow, that's really interesting. Gotta check out the charts for that then. I wish I wasn't so picky with the clothes I'll wear, but I am. Can't be looking like a goofus, so I'm stuck with kind of trashy gear.

I'm committed to the tinted shades, which do not seem good. Last Ditch Effort is just kind of lame. It does win me matches occasionally, but probably not any more than any other hat ability.

Still, knowing that within the narrow range of things I'll be seen wearing there's some flexibility in which subs I can get more easily is a step. I just need a second set of dork clothes for ranked I guess.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #237 on: July 17, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »
For some reason I thought the Splatfest was today, derp. I haven't been following the news as much since the last Splatfest lol. Kinda needed a bit of a break from the game. I wanted to watch EVO today, so maybe I'll get a few warmups in later tonight. Not concerned with leveling up my Splatfest Tee though. Squidforce is terrible with a Jr., so if I'm gonna get bad subs again then it doesn't matter when I unlock them.

I wonder how many people are gonna use the new weapons in the Splatfest. Last time I saw more Aerospray RGs than ever, and seeing that the N-Zap '89 has Inkstrike too, well...
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #238 on: July 17, 2015, 05:06:37 PM »
Each brand has an associated higher chance to get a certain sub ability (30%), and a lower chance to get another sub (3%).
Which is why everyone uses the Jungle Hat.

Is that why everyone uses it?
I though it was because it was the Freshest hat in the entire game.
(which it is)

pasu

« Reply #239 on: July 18, 2015, 02:24:17 AM »

So does that mean the people I see in the lobby with three matching slots on each item are just flaunting the fact that they're cheaters, or is that something else?

I'm committed to the tinted shades, which do not seem good. Last Ditch Effort is just kind of lame. It does win me matches occasionally, but probably not any more than any other hat ability.

Can you actually cheat in the game? I really liked the tinted shades too, just spent two shells on it for the slots. Mostly because when I first started out playing Splatoon I used it until I got the gas mask.

Is that why everyone uses it?
I though it was because it was the Freshest hat in the entire game.
(which it is)

I thought people used it mainly for its Main Ability, but I don't find it fresh at all  :V so I've held off getting one of my own even until now-