Author Topic: PoFV English Patch  (Read 33825 times)

PoFV English Patch
« on: April 26, 2009, 02:32:57 AM »
For those who aren't aware or haven't checked the original topic in a while, I've finished everything except endings.  I still need a willing translator for them, if anybody's interested.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: PoFV English Patch
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 02:45:58 AM »
I think that Solamarle guy usually translates endings. I don't know how to contact him though.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:59:35 AM »
Doesn't gensokyo.org have quite a few translators too? If you can provide them with screens, you might be able to get one of them to do so.

http://forum.gensokyo.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=52d0d6d7098dfd92960db356a025e8ea&board=4.0

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:08:07 PM »
I'll be willing to help translate some of the endings if no one else is working on them yet.  Actually I'm going to be doing so as a project for my Japanese class so I'll be working on them regardless, but if you wish, I can email or PM what I have when I'm done.

Herasy

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 04:00:13 AM »
I'll be willing to help translate some of the endings if no one else is working on them yet.  Actually I'm going to be doing so as a project for my Japanese class so I'll be working on them regardless, but if you wish, I can email or PM what I have when I'm done.

*hugs Drywall*

Translators are so cool like that, I wish I was one.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 06:48:26 AM »
grgspunk has been translating the endings for the past couple days, but any extra input/help is appreciated.  So far, I have Reimu and Marisa's ending with me.  I've been pretty busy the past couple days trying to insert them, though.

It's a pain. :-\
There's about a 70-character limit on what I can insert, per line, and I can only fit about 4 lines of text on the screen at any one time.  So, I've been hacking at it in short bursts every so often, then I take a break.  I try not to spend too much time in disassembly.

What's really lucky is that I recently found a switch that I can just redirect to skip story mode and immediately go to an ending, so no more wasting half an hour playing just to see if I did the ending right.

drywall

• yare yare daze
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 01:30:41 PM »
Glad to hear someone else is helping out with this, and since they seem to be translating the endings in order, I guess I'll start doing them in reverse order.  Only thing is I started on Reimu's already for this other project, and I'll need to finish it before I can start on another, but that'll definitely be done by my deadline on Friday.  Also just out of curiosity, you can make the endings arbitrarily long by inserting more of those control codes found in the .end files right?  That wouldn't fix the 70 char limit of course, but at least you could still fit everything in by breaking it up across lines.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 05:27:23 PM »
Yes, that's what I've been doing lately, just splitting it up into portions with the control codes.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 12:02:13 AM »
Small update: I managed to resize the stack frame and adjust all the pointers responsible for processing the ending dialogue.  70-character limit's been lifted to a healthy 112.  I think I also nailed that old text display bug.

I'm working on testing Reimu's ending as I write this, but it's looking good so far.  I think I've gotten around all the major obstacles, for now.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 01:10:54 AM »
In the previous topic you made regarding the PoFV patch, you mentioned that 1.50a has a lot more checksums or something, and that the patch might be made for an earlier version instead. Is that still the case, or is this patch intended for 1.50a?
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 10:22:39 AM »
I got past all that nonsense about a month ago.  The patch is still for 1.50a.  It was only a couple days that I was actually working on a patch for 1.0 before I switched to working on 1.50a.  I've been working on 1.50a this whole time, basically.

However, the patched PoFV won't work with regular adonis, but a very tiny patch to it (adonis) will fix that, as I've already tested.  As far as I know, a patched PoFV can play client to an unpatched PoFV's server.  At this point, I'm assuming the reverse is true as well.

Also note that replays saved with english PoFV are compatible with japanese PoFV.

This patch is for v1.50a full, not demo.  I suppose if there's a sufficient demand for a demo english patch, I could do that too.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 05:46:46 PM »
Is it possible to fix the annoying crash that happens way more than it should when saving replays?
Thanks for translating my favorite game of the series, by the way~

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 06:57:38 PM »
Does the crashing happen consistently?  As in, are you able to reproduce it?
I haven't had any crashing at all, and I've saved about a dozen replays up to now.  Also, what version are you using?

If I'm not able to reproduce it on my end, it's going to be difficult to guess/find what's causing the problem.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 11:08:52 PM »
Uh, that's weird. I'm pretty sure that whenever I try to save a replay (maybe it only happens after you beat Story Mode), the game crashes. It doesn't happen as often if, when saving, I cancel it at the name input screen and then try to save again.
It's a very well-known bug, too, and it usually happens on the latest version.

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 04:11:47 PM »
I've saved eight story mode replays right after defeating the final boss on easy mode, and no crashing.

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 09:12:57 PM »
Hey Rufus, have you checked the two messages I sent you earlier? I haven't gotten any responses back yet.

bennelsey

• Touhou fan-game Developer
  • Will make Touhou fan-games for food
    • EastGap
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 03:29:41 PM »
ive finished PoFV once before i found this, then another after i found this topic some time ago, just letting you know there are people waiting for the translations of the endings :D (yes, i play for the storylines and the endings)

oh btw first post xD

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »
I've had some computer problems for the last week or two, but I finished a very alpha version of the patcher just last night.  I'm going to test it a couple times then distribute it to a couple other people for extra testing.

If all goes well, I'll polish up the installer and release a beta here.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 03:48:40 PM »
I'd gladly help testing, if you're curious to know how it runs in WINE with Linux.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Gpop

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 05:42:32 PM »
I could help test to see if it works correctly for Vista =/

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 09:50:36 PM »
Once we get through preliminary testing and fixing all my dumb mistakes getting the patcher to actually work, I'll link to the beta here.  For now, there are still a couple small bugs to work on.

I'd definitely like to hear how this will work on Win98, Linux, and Vista, though.

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
  • For :files:
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 05:55:50 AM »
i will test it on my cpu

its a 64 vista

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 06:23:47 AM »
I can test it too, I'm running Wine on 64-bit Linux.

and...   *glares at Momizi*

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 06:32:12 AM »
Grrrr

anyways good job on the patch

*glares at momiji*

Falcon

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 03:41:50 PM »
Once we get through preliminary testing and fixing all my dumb mistakes getting the patcher to actually work, I'll link to the beta here.  For now, there are still a couple small bugs to work on.

I'd definitely like to hear how this will work on Win98, Linux, and Vista, though.
I have Windows 98SE, but I've never even tried normal PoFV on it. I could give it a shot, if you're interested.
Since you have an alpha patch, does that mean the translation and editing is all done?

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 11:28:52 PM »
im gessing right now its in closed beta. my gess is sometime next week or so (im so happy XD)

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 06:04:15 AM »
Well, I have 64-bit windows XP, and I have all characters unlocked. If you don't have anyone fitting that bill, I could help test.
The SoEW patch has had its second release, come and get it!

bennelsey

• Touhou fan-game Developer
  • Will make Touhou fan-games for food
    • EastGap
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
heh im just so exited about the patch im checking here everyday xD

how about release an alpha patch and place disclaimer:
"May have quite alot of bugs so backup your copy of PofV before applying"

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 05:43:43 PM »
heh im just so exited about the patch im checking here everyday xD

me too its going to be so cool

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 08:40:44 PM »
Since you have an alpha patch, does that mean the translation and editing is all done?

Pretty much, yeah.

"May have quite alot of bugs so backup your copy of PofV before applying"

The patch installer is designed to operate on copies of your PoFV files, so you could even set your exe and dat file to be read-only if you were worried, and you'd still be fine.  I tried to make it as un-destructive as possible.