Author Topic: Music  (Read 26786 times)

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
Music
« on: May 11, 2009, 02:48:18 AM »
I mean music mostly in the sense playing and instrument and the like, but we'll see.

I've been playing viola for something like 9 years now, and today I wanted to practice but my instrument is at school so I started playing my sister's violin.  It was amazing.  Apparently I really want to play violin now and I am extremely excited about this.  Yay.  I play in the school orchestra for my high school, and plan to keep playing through college.

Do any of you guys play instruments?  What do you play?  Are you in orchestras/bands?  Maybe even why do you play?

Gpop

Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 02:51:32 AM »
I used to play the piano/keyboard.

Why I stopped I have no idea, but I guess it was the sport activities that somewhat prevented me from playing =/.

I was going to join the school band, but what I heard from my friends is that the music teacher is WAY TOO STRICT, which is why not many people take it.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 02:56:55 AM »
I play bass clarinet and bass guitar.

I play BC in school and BG out of school.

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 03:12:46 AM »
I play the paino and have done so for 12 years, though my learning rate is very slow, I guess, and I'm only finishing my Grade 8 this year.  It was a case of initial enthusiasm, and then a sudden disinterest when it came to classical music, then a reigniting of wanting to learn the piano after growing to light classical music.  I also compose to some extent, though I'm not that good at it; I usually do classical music or electronic music.

Drake

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 03:18:33 AM »
I play piano. I'm very active; I started when I was seven and slowly accelerated in interest and ability. I've completed Grade 5 RCM for a high school credit and stopped there because it was boring to go any further with a set list of songs you can play. I'm pretty much freelancing songs as I please.

Currently:
-A version of Clocks that I will finish probably within the next week or two
-This, which is 95% done
-And this, which will take a bit to complete.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ghost333

• A retired Lunatic
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 12:17:09 PM »
i started playing bass guitar back in 1999.
i stoped to play about 2005.
when i relaxed a bit from the work i decided to buy a new one an restart that happened 7/7/2008
now is still play.

but i love keyboards and violin!i might start one of those.

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 05:07:30 PM »
Used to play marimba-type instruments since I can't play keyboard. I can do a little bit of snare, but not on a trap.

Easy Mode

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 10:07:12 PM »
I tried taking piano last semester. I failed it miserably.
I can't read music worth shit. And every goddamn Osmond Mo and their goddamn family bands can.
It sucks. The only time I touched a violin was to lick the resin. That stuff tastes weird.

Nachtwanderlied

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 10:29:33 PM »
i can play:

piano: going to do my ARCT soon
horn: casual school stuff

and that's about it

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 10:30:40 PM »
I play Trombone, Guitar and Piano, well, not so much Piano, but i can play it to some extent.

Yukkuri

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 12:20:01 AM »
I've been playing the oboe since 4th grade.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »
Does banging against solid objects count as music making?

(ala Stomp style)
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 12:25:05 PM »
I play guitar and keys(Microkorg) but  most of the music I've made altely has been MOD/Tracker music. If you like Touhou music you'll probably like tracker music as they sound pretty similar.

Gpop

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »
Does banging against solid objects count as music making?

(ala Stomp style)

If it makes sense to my ears then yes.

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 10:00:12 AM »

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 12:28:43 PM »
I played cello for two years as a kid, then gave up as I left primary school simply because I wasn't willing to put the time in. >_>

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

• Doing >9000 Barrel Rolls
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
I tried to get into piano, but next semester I'm taking Bass classes and I'm going to see how that works our for me.
I gotta have something for my sig, so...

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 12:17:18 AM »
I can play the alto sax, I'm learning to play piano, and I just picked up the guitar.

ghost333

• A retired Lunatic
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 02:38:21 PM »
I tried taking piano last semester. I failed it miserably.
I can't read music worth shit. And every goddamn Osmond Mo and their goddamn family bands can.
It sucks. The only time I touched a violin was to lick the resin. That stuff tastes weird.

reading takes time no need to rush.
Lick the resin? what exactly u were doing with the violin? O_O
(for some reason H comes to mind...n no no no i have change as person i am pure now.)
maybe u were too young?  yes yes that must be it

deslar`ris

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 07:16:40 PM »
I played clarinet for 6 years. Stopped after getting to High school. Didn't join the band 'cause I've heard them play... it's not that great. Outside of that there was flute for one year and violin for a few months.

Now I just keep up my sight reading skills with random songs I find for piano.

Demonlord Pichu

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »
I used to the cymbalist in my school band during my Sophmor, Junior and Senior years in High School. I didn't play any other instruments after I graduated being I was sorta forced to do Band as a way to have something to do rather than be on the internet.

Drake

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 09:30:24 PM »
I'm doing the 1st Border of Life for a concert soon, I wonder if I'll be able to record it...?

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 06:03:24 PM »
If I can just learn piano and guitar I'll be satisfied. I used to be quite the drummer as well, but years without practice have caused that talent to vanish.

Benny1

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »
I am currently working on The Devil's Trill for violin.  This piece is EXTRAORDINARILY hard.  This si going to be a very, very, very long project.

flurk

• I'M IN YOUR SHMUP
  • GRAZING YOUR BULLETS.
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 09:57:04 PM »
i played the guitar since i was 14. played all sorts of classical/acoustic/electric stuff, almost every type of guitar music casually (except i never went into jazz. their chords just scare me so much) and oh i never gotten around to train to shred too.

i now wish that i can play the piano. (so that i can play touhou songs and be cool :D) i used to learn piano while i was in kindergarten.. never learned much and forgot everything i learned.

if i could, i'd love to learn to play the violin (i wonder if really cheap violins exist) or the er hu (二胡), a chinese violin-like instrument with only two strings, played vertical on your lap. i admire how well bowed instruments can express emotions so strongly, for i am a big fan of sad tunes.

"Eh, who needs brains in danmaku? Power, that's all you need!" -Kirisame Marisa

Drake

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
I am currently working on The Devil's Trill for violin.  This piece is EXTRAORDINARILY hard.  This si going to be a very, very, very long project.
Have fun with one of the hardest pieces ever created lol

Benny1

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 03:17:13 AM »
I love the erhu!  We had somebody come in and play that in a demonstration last year in orchestra.

Have fun with one of the hardest pieces ever created lol

You have no idea.  I'm not playing the original, I"m playing the Kreisler arrangement, which really seems to be only notably different in a few places.  I've worked out fingerings for the majority of the piece save for the ridiculous cadenza (what the heck is that) but it is going to take forever to learn.

I'm fairly certain though I can do it actually.  I've started to learn how to do the TRILL DEL DIAVOLO parts.

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 02:35:18 PM »
I started learning the piano when I was 9 and stopped in 2005 when I went to university.  Not having a piano to play on means that I've pretty much forgotten everything about how to play those intricate classical pieces.  It was kinda nice to be able to play some of the stuff that shows up in pop culture every now and then because it's worth instant bonus cool points.  I'd love to be able to have a piano again, even if only to mess around and play songs from games and anime.  For a time I also took voice lessons but that still doesn't mean I can sing :s
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

flurk

• I'M IN YOUR SHMUP
  • GRAZING YOUR BULLETS.
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
haha yeah the er hu is quite interesting. it took me like 10 minutes to learn to make proper sound out of it, unlike the violin (which i managed to play a simple tune the first time i touched it)

"Eh, who needs brains in danmaku? Power, that's all you need!" -Kirisame Marisa

Nachtwanderlied

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 09:05:31 PM »
I love the erhu!  We had somebody come in and play that in a demonstration last year in orchestra.

You have no idea.  I'm not playing the original, I"m playing the Kreisler arrangement, which really seems to be only notably different in a few places.  I've worked out fingerings for the majority of the piece save for the ridiculous cadenza (what the heck is that) but it is going to take forever to learn.

I'm fairly certain though I can do it actually.  I've started to learn how to do the TRILL DEL DIAVOLO parts.

man, i just imagined benny was somebody who had no idea how to play the violin

it was good for a laugh

but seriously, is benny of any skill on the violin?