Author Topic: Maribel Quest Abridging - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 68428 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Maribel Quest Abridging - A Z-Machine Adventure
« on: September 13, 2010, 08:38:53 AM »
>You are Maribel Hearn, and the world is wrong. Or rather, you're in the wrong world!
>Having woken up in a strange room, you've discovered you are in the middle of a world called Gensokyo, and you've finally discovered another world that you've always knew existed.
>You grew up in Japan, living a fairly normal life. Still, you always had a strong instinct that there was more to the world than you could see. You studied psychology in college, and met your best friend there, a woman named Renko. The two of you shared a passion for the supernatural (extranormal, Renko called it, to make it sound more legitimate). In pursuing that passion, the two of you followed your instincts and moved to small island nation called Gensokyo. From there, then memories of the past half year fuzzy. You remember running a modestly successful detective agency and numerous attempts to find supernatural activity. You remember a woman named  Utsuho being a prominent influence on your life in the last few days before you woke up here, but you can't remember a lot about it. You remember, though, that she helped you prove the supernatural exists beyond the shadow of a doubt!
>You have been wandering throughout Gensokyo! You've learned some of the basics of flight, danmaku, time-stopping and barrier magic, and you're on cloud nine! Utsuho and Yuugi are in a doomed rivalry for Parsee's love, you have nudged them toward polyamory, and into a kind of peace. You visited Komachi and got her back to work on Reimu's behalf! You have assisted Murasa at the underground clinic on Byakuren's behalf, which involved cleaning up vomit buckets and dealing with a racist old oni. Byakuren has agreed to consider enhancing your natural magical abilities if you gather the necessary ingredients. You have planted flowers for Yuka! You have discovered where all the maids at Scarlet Devil Mansion have gone! You've been chased by a mob of faeries! You have befriend Tokiko, and helped her get used to society and not eating animals raw. You have engaged in a few fact finding missions on Utsuho's behalf. You have found, bickered with, worried over, and slept with Renko Usami. You have earned the enmity of Alice Margatroid. You have begun trying to fulfill Sanae's dream, and healing the rift between Utsuho and Kanako. You've had a frightening trip into Hakugyokuro! You are having a serious internal debate over whether or not to seek out becoming a youkai. You've met Yukari, and gotten a very indecent proposal. You have quietly helped and supported Renko in invading Scarlet Devil Mansion. You are now technically a homeowner!
>You are now have a standoff with Alice in the wake of Renko's successful invasion of Scarlet Devil Mansion.

> "Well, if that's the way things are going to be, then...I understand."
> Go back inside through the door, taking Renko with us.
> Once we get a few feet inside, whisper to Renko: "Go look for Patchouli. I'll hold her off."

>You step backwards into the door, and whisper to Renko.
>"Got it," she says, as Alice enters the Foyer.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Maribel Quest Abridging - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »
> Face Alice, if we aren't already.
> Position ourselves between her and Renko.
> "It's true. I'm sorry for how yesterday played out. But not sorry enough to let anyone loot this place."
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:46:51 AM »
> Face Alice, if we aren't already.
> Position ourselves between her and Renko.
> "It's true. I'm sorry for how yesterday played out. But not sorry enough to let anyone loot this place."

>You are facing Alice. Renko breaks away from you, as you interpose yourself between her and Alice.
>"You're not?" asks Alice. "Praytell, how?"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:52:46 AM »
> Ignoring Renko, Alice and ourselves, is the foyer otherwise clear of people?
> "Words are preferable. But I don't think they're going to work, so...by any means necessary."
> How easily is our inventory accessed?
> How did the Oil of Vibration work again?

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:54:18 AM »
>"Well, I'd like to be able to convince you that it isn't right to steal from people like this, and have you leave of your own accord. But that isn't likely to happen, is it?"
>"Otherwise, I can stand in front of you until you feel like doing something spiteful. I think it would be a shame if it came to that, though."
>Quickly survey nearby terrain. What doors, corridors, and other obstacles are there?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:06:58 AM »
> Ignoring Renko, Alice and ourselves, is the foyer otherwise clear of people?
> "Words are preferable. But I don't think they're going to work, so...by any means necessary."
> How easily is our inventory accessed?
> How did the Oil of Vibration work again?
>"Well, I'd like to be able to convince you that it isn't right to steal from people like this, and have you leave of your own accord. But that isn't likely to happen, is it?"
>"Otherwise, I can stand in front of you until you feel like doing something spiteful. I think it would be a shame if it came to that, though."
>Quickly survey nearby terrain. What doors, corridors, and other obstacles are there?

>You do have Remilia, who is unconscious on the floor off to the side. But aside from that, it is just the three of you.
>You have to dig items out of your messenger bag. You have it fairly well organized, though.
>You smear the oil on something, and if it is enough it will vibrate. Rinnosuke said there should be enough to affect something up to 125 kg.
>"Very well," Alice says, as she raises her hand and sends a stream of danmaku at you!
>You do not have time to survey the terrain in detail!

>_

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 09:10:18 AM »
>Sidestep the danmaku
>Don't return fire just yet, unless she fires at us again once we're out of the way
>How high are the ceilings here? Are they large enough for that giant doll we saw on her lawn earlier?
>And if we have a moment to breath, get a rough idea of corridors and doors and such around us

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:14:58 AM »
>Sidestep the danmaku
>Don't return fire just yet, unless she fires at us again once we're out of the way
>How high are the ceilings here? Are they large enough for that giant doll we saw on her lawn earlier?
>And if we have a moment to breath, get a rough idea of corridors and doors and such around us

>You sidestep it, and find the stream keeps following you!
>"Fan out!" says Alice, as dolls following her start to spread around.
>The ceiling is pretty high, it may accommodate that doll.
>Renko makes a run for it, heading for the library. "Stop her," Alice says calmly.
>You don't have enough time to look around, but you know there is a hall to the west and to the east; the doors to the west hall are open."

>_

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:18:51 AM »
>Keep ourself between Alice and Renko
>Continue to sidestep. If it looks like we're being forced towards a wall, use a burst of flight to get over the stream and onto the other side of it
>If dolls break off towards Renko, fire on them
>Otherwise, launch a burst of danmaku towards Alice

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:32:23 AM »
>Keep ourself between Alice and Renko
>Continue to sidestep. If it looks like we're being forced towards a wall, use a burst of flight to get over the stream and onto the other side of it
>If dolls break off towards Renko, fire on them
>Otherwise, launch a burst of danmaku towards Alice

>You cannot get between Renko and Alice; her stream is forcing you aside.
>You keep moving sideways, rather quickly, as Alice keeps up the stream until you're close to a wall, then drops it and fires toward Renko. The dolls fire at her as well as she flees toward the library.
>You shoot toward the nearest doll, knocking it out of the air with a line of danmaku.

>_

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
>Try to interpose ourself again, as best we can
>Fire a cloud of danmaku towards Alice. Try to aim the shots from an angle such that we could hit a doll or two in the process.
>Did Renko seem to get hit? Or, at least, did we hear her get hit?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 09:56:49 AM »
>Try to interpose ourself again, as best we can
>Fire a cloud of danmaku towards Alice. Try to aim the shots from an angle such that we could hit a doll or two in the process.
>Did Renko seem to get hit? Or, at least, did we hear her get hit?

>You race back over to interpose yourself between Alice and Renko; firing a cloud of shots at her along the way. The bracelet's power flows through you, and you create  a rather sizable cloud! Alice has to abandon her attack on Renko to dodge around it. One of the dolls gets struck by a rogue shot from the cloud, and staggers.
>You don't think Renko's been hit, at least from sounds.

>_

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »
>Quickly shoot the staggered doll
>Then launch another cloud towards Alice, again aiming to hit a doll in the process
>"You've already hurt her enough. I'm not going to let you hurt her any further."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 10:16:23 AM »
>Quickly shoot the staggered doll
>Then launch another cloud towards Alice, again aiming to hit a doll in the process
>"You've already hurt her enough. I'm not going to let you hurt her any further."

>You shoot a quick bullet at the staggered doll, and knock her down.
>As you send another cloud toward Alice, she stands still, and steps through it, dodging around the shots inside; then fires another stream, the one toward Renko. Busy opening the library door, she doesn't notice it and is hit in the back, yelping as she tumbles into the room. "Damn, still conscious," Alice says, ignoring your words.

>_
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:01:16 AM by Diamonds Purvis »

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 10:22:56 AM »
>Fire again at Alice. Make it more dense this time.
>Be ready to sidestep the stream if necessary.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 10:52:53 AM »
>Fire again at Alice. Make it more dense this time.
>Be ready to sidestep the stream if necessary.

>You fire another cloud at Alice; this one more dense. She takes to the air and flies around it while saying,  "Focus on Maribel."

>_

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 10:57:06 AM »
>Is she headed towards Renko?
>If so, don't let her get past us. Move to keep ourself between Alice and the library.
>Launch a few concentrated streams at nearby dolls if they try to hem in our movement. Otherwise, a burst at Alice herself.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 11:06:11 AM »
>Is she headed towards Renko?
>If so, don't let her get past us. Move to keep ourself between Alice and the library.
>Launch a few concentrated streams at nearby dolls if they try to hem in our movement. Otherwise, a burst at Alice herself.

>She dodged toward the library, but you don't think she is actually going for it, as she turns and sends a wave of blue and green bullets toward you; while the dolls fire small bursts in your general direction.
>You fire on the nearest doll, taking it down, but you also notice the first one you shot down is back up again.

>_

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »
>If they can recover themselves, it's probably not worth taking them down...
>Try to find a gap in where the doll's fire converges and shift away from Alice's waves towards it. Try to move away, towards the library in the process.
>Launch another larger cloud at Alice, followed quickly by a more directed stream to take advantage of her (hopefully) somewhat hampered movement in the cloud

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 03:32:43 PM »
> Inventory (If we have to, from memory)

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »
>Turn up BGM.
>Try the love confession strategy on Alice
There was something here once. Wonder what...

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 07:16:09 PM »
> If Alice actively moves towards Renko, Za Warudo and get in her way. If we can even do that.

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 07:17:20 PM »
> If Alice actively moves towards Renko, Za Warudo and get in her way. If we can even do that.

>Don't use our time stop yet. We may only get a single shot for several minutes, and there are better ways to capitalize on it

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 07:26:21 PM »
> Mentally curse not having time stopped post-bracelet to test how long we get.
> How long were we able to hold it the last time we did it? A few seconds?

Current thinking on best plan of action is to use time stop in conjunction with the vibralube. Unless we think we can throw the bottle at Alice and hope it explodes on contact with her, I can't imagine how we're going to get close enough to her to get it on her otherwise.

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 07:29:02 PM »
Yeah, I was planning to use timestop with the oil of vibration. But remember we still need to get it out of our bag, open it and all, and our timestop is only a firm 3 seconds. We can't count on it being longer. We're going to have to already have the oil in hand and at the ready, and hopefully already be at close range. What I was hoping for was at least a little distraction from Patchy or others before we pull that trick out. Currently, Alice isn't being too serious towards us because she doesn't consider us a threat. I imagine even a winded and injured Patchy would get more of her attention, and we could use that moment to do it.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 07:39:39 PM »
That sounds like it could work, yes.

EDIT: What are we going to aim for? Dumping it on her head, trying to actually rub it into her hands, etc.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:49:40 PM by Kilgamayan »

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 07:52:46 PM »
Oil of Vibration. Alice's face. Make it happen.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 07:59:03 PM »
I think if we had to pick a single part, I'd say hands. I have no idea how much of the rest of the body this will transmit to.
For that matter, we don't even know how viscous it is. Do we need to spend time rubbing it in, or can we just pour it? Will rubbing it in cause our own hands to start shaking? I very much would have liked to test its properties earlier, but that wasn't really feasible having a limited quantity of it like this.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 08:01:43 PM »
>If they can recover themselves, it's probably not worth taking them down...
>Try to find a gap in where the doll's fire converges and shift away from Alice's waves towards it. Try to move away, towards the library in the process.
>Launch another larger cloud at Alice, followed quickly by a more directed stream to take advantage of her (hopefully) somewhat hampered movement in the cloud

>That does seem to be a problem...
>You look toward the dolls' shots for a moment, and see that they don't look too bad on their own, not too much worse than the things Plum Blossom. Unfortunately, they aren't all firing at once, with minimizes gaps. You move away from the wave toward the library, setting yourself between Alice and it, and find that the blue shots and green shots are moving in different directions from Alice. It will not be a matter of just slipping between the columns, it seems.
>You fire at Alice again, sending out a larger cloud with a couple dozen bullets in it.  She lets the cloud flow around her, as she  prepares another set of blue and green shots. You are about to follow up with a stream of your own when her wave catches up to you.

> Inventory (If we have to, from memory)

>Having checked your inventory recently, you remember it well.
>Your Inventory Contains
>Mop Hat (Worn as Hat)
>Red Robe
>White Hakama
>Branch
>Floating Stone
>Ingredient List
>Ring of Rhythm
>Starlight Incantation Slip.
>Purple Messenger Bag
>Blue Silk Flower
>65☼
>Silver Rabbit Figurine
>Purple Dress
>Wound Sign: Pain Flow Endlessly. (Captured)
>Kakashi Spirit News
>Frilly Dark Dress
>Oil of  Vibration
>Green Yo-yo
>Bolt of Silk
>Dirty Bowl
>Sanzu River Water
>Essence of the Netherworld
>Mushroom Bracelet
>White Dress (Worn as Clothing)

>Turn up BGM.
>Try the love confession strategy on Alice

>You don't have time for this!
>Yukari shanks you!

>Don't use our time stop yet. We may only get a single shot for several minutes, and there are better ways to capitalize on it

>She doesn't seem to be chasing after Renko.

> Mentally curse not having time stopped post-bracelet to test how long we get.
> How long were we able to hold it the last time we did it? A few seconds?

>It might not have been a bad idea to test out a lot of things with that. Oh well, the things we do for love.
>Three seconds.

>_

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 08:04:58 PM »
OH! Bolt of Silk!

I've got it. ZA WARUDO, close to melee range, oil of vibration, then bolt of silk over her face. From there, pummel her til she's unconscious.

Fuck danmaku.