Author Topic: Maribel Quest More - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 66757 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Maribel Quest More - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2010, 10:23:11 AM »
>"I'll hope that's a good thing."

>"As long as your intentions are not bad," she says, "All should be well."
>She leads you inside, and you are quickly become lost as she leads you through twisting halls, across courtyards, and through a sizable gate at one point. Looking around, you can see numerous galleries filled with various objects you have no time to evaluate, and drawing rooms and solars whose quality you need only a glance to ascertain.
>After a short time, you come to a small room whose far side is open to an orchard of cherry trees. There is a pink-haired woman in lovely blue robes sitting at a small table, contemplating a pile of tangled sticks in front of her. She does not look up as you and the swordswoman enters. "Speak, o magician," she says in a distracted tone.

>_

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »
>Bow our head respectfully
>"Greetings, Lady Yuyuko. My name is Maribel. I have come searching for some essence of the Netherworld."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »
>Bow our head respectfully
>"Greetings, Lady Yuyuko. My name is Maribel. I have come searching for some essence of the Netherworld."

>"Whyever would you want that?" she says, gently running a finger over the sticks in front of her, taking obvious care not to disturb them.

>_

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2010, 10:28:57 AM »
>"It is an essential component in an enchantment that I'm gathering materials for."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2010, 06:08:49 PM »
>"It is an essential component in an enchantment that I'm gathering materials for."

>"Which enchantment would this be?" she asks, sounding less interested than before.

>_

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »
> "Um...the same enchantment that Byakuren Hijiri used to enhance herself. Also, I've heard that your gate keeper disappeared for a few months. I...might have information on that."

If you want to strike the part about the disappearance, go ahead. I just think it'll make Yuyuko more likely to help us.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2010, 06:33:20 PM »
> "Um...the same enchantment that Byakuren Hijiri used to enhance herself. Also, I've heard that your gate keeper disappeared for a few months. I...might have information on that."

>"Who?" asks Yuyuko, giving you the feeling she didn't really hear. "And by all means, tell me what you can."

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »
> "Um...Hijiri Byakuren. Apparently a long time ago she got some essence of the netherworld, so I figured you might know her. At any rate, um, did Youmu tell you if she had a dream or not?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2010, 06:47:02 PM »
> "Um...Hijiri Byakuren. Apparently a long time ago she got some essence of the netherworld, so I figured you might know her. At any rate, um, did Youmu tell you if she had a dream or not?"

>"That sounds a little familiar," says Yuyuko, tilting her head as she stares at the sticks. "And yes, she did."
>"How did you know?" asks the swordswoman. "And...how did you know my name?"

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2010, 06:55:03 PM »
> "Because a lot of people shared said dream. Somewhat including me, but actually, my case is more interesting. This 'dream' actually carried me over from the outside world to this one. But, anyway, essentially the situation that occurred was that much of Gensokyo was taken to the outer world, and Utsuho was insturmental in bringing it back. As an aside, that's how I knew your name, Youmu. Utsuho brought you up...um...from what I remember you had a slight altercation."
> Look a little sheepish at the last
> "At any rate, I can certainly ease your worries about it happening again. The parties involved have been stopped, and they don't plan to do it again."
> "Anyway, about Byakuren...it was centuries ago when she would have sought out your aid, but she was, at the time, a human magician known for trying to faciliate relations between humans and youkai, and thought humans to be being very close minded and perpetuating the youkai/human fights of her time. She eventually became a youkai, as I understand it, and was sealed for her perceived support of youkai. Hopefully that helps you remember her?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2010, 07:00:27 PM »
>"It so it was real..." says Youmu, frowning a little
>"Ah, you're from the outside, says Yuyuko, as she leans closer to the sticks. "Now a couple more things fit together. And I think I have a dim memory of that magacian. Was she the one with the gem?"

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2010, 07:07:13 PM »
> "Well, real to some extent. Given the methods of it's reversal, it's 'reality' is quite debateable at this point. Essentially, while it happened, it didn't. Anyway, I think it'd probably be better to just treat it as a dream, but I also wanted to at least give you some assurances that your worries about a repeat incident weren't as warranted as you might have thought."
> "Hmm...I don't think Byakuren said anything about a gem...if it helps any the enchantment she used made her grow in size rather greatly. Not fat, but a proportional enlargement"

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2010, 07:10:30 PM »
>"Essentially, I think the Netherworld was outside of both the grasp of the phenomenon's creation and undoing. The Sanzu River was similar, and I think there may have been a few other places unaffected."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »
> "Well, real to some extent. Given the methods of it's reversal, it's 'reality' is quite debateable at this point. Essentially, while it happened, it didn't. Anyway, I think it'd probably be better to just treat it as a dream, but I also wanted to at least give you some assurances that your worries about a repeat incident weren't as warranted as you might have thought."
> "Hmm...I don't think Byakuren said anything about a gem...if it helps any the enchantment she used made her grow in size rather greatly. Not fat, but a proportional enlargement"
>"Essentially, I think the Netherworld was outside of both the grasp of the phenomenon's creation and undoing. The Sanzu River was similar, and I think there may have been a few other places unaffected."

>Yuyuko nods idly. "Yes yes, that does explain the arrangement a little better. And no gem? I must be thinking of something else. Was she the one with the hair?"

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »
> "Gradient hair I assume? That would be her if so."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2010, 07:37:50 PM »
> "Gradient hair I assume? That would be her if so."

>"Ah yes, now I remember," says Yuyuko, as she gently taps on the tapered end of one of the sticks. "A delightful girl, if too serious for her own good. Youmu's grandmother was rather sweet on her at the time."

>_

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2010, 07:44:20 PM »
>"She a very kind and generous person, and she's helped me a great deal since I arrived here."

>Can we tell what Yuyuko is doing with those sticks at all? Do they just look like regular branches or something?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »
>"She a very kind and generous person, and she's helped me a great deal since I arrived here."

>Can we tell what Yuyuko is doing with those sticks at all? Do they just look like regular branches or something?

>"Has she? That's very nice of her. I hope she hasn't been a lousy cook."
>Some of the sticks look like normal branches, shaved of all their bark and smoothed and stained. Others seem to be, essentially, toothpicks on a larger scale than usual, also stained. They are all scattered on a pile on the table. You have no concrete idea why she is so interested in them.

>_

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2010, 07:51:40 PM »
>"Um, I have no idea if she cooks at all, to be honest."
>"And if it's not impolite, may I inquire what that pile of branches in front of you is?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »
>"Um, I have no idea if she cooks at all, to be honest."
>"And if it's not impolite, may I inquire what that pile of branches in front of you is?"

>"Ah," says Yuyuko. "I suppose she's done other things, then."
>"Why, they're a portrait of the world, of course. What did you think they were?"

>_

« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2010, 08:04:49 PM »
>"I... suppose that I was unable to see the resemblance. I apologize."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2010, 08:14:08 PM »
>"I... suppose that I was unable to see the resemblance. I apologize."

>"Ah, you have much to learn," says Yuyuko. "A gathering of sticks or a gathering of corpses, both have their place."

>_

« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2010, 08:16:42 PM »
>"I'm... sure they do. And I'm sure I do, as well."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2010, 08:31:29 PM »
>"I'm... sure they do. And I'm sure I do, as well."

>"So, knowing what you do, what do you see in this portrait?" asks Yuyuko, gesturing toward the sticks.

>_

« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2010, 08:33:59 PM »
>Can we see any sort of imagery in it at all, if we decide to interpret that liberally, a la rorschach inkblots?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2010, 08:41:52 PM »
>Can we see any sort of imagery in it at all, if we decide to interpret that liberally, a la rorschach inkblots?

>You draw closer and have a look. It is really just a pile of smoothed sticks and twigs, tangled together into a mess. The shape it makes kind of looks like a bat, or perhaps an open umbrella with a short handle?

« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2010, 08:53:40 PM »
>"I'm afraid that I really don't think I can grasp the portraiture in this sort of creation at the moment. The shape... reminds me a little of a bat. I don't mean to be offensive..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2010, 09:00:51 PM »
>"I'm afraid that I really don't think I can grasp the portraiture in this sort of creation at the moment. The shape... reminds me a little of a bat. I don't mean to be offensive..."

>Yuyuko chuckles a little. "It is fine to admit when you don't know something. But don't you think you're missing the trees for the forest?"

>_

« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2010, 09:07:03 PM »
>"I just seems a bit crude to say that it looks like a pile of sticks..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2010, 09:14:50 PM »
>"I just seems a bit crude to say that it looks like a pile of sticks..."

>"Of course it looks like a pile of sticks," says Yuyuko. "But why is it this pile and not some other pile? That is the question."

>_