Author Topic: Keine Quest (Part 4): Broken History  (Read 68611 times)

Keine Quest (Part 4): Broken History
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:48:22 PM »
>You are Keine Kamishirasawa, and the world around you is not the one you remember. Something happened in the future which broke the past, and you intend to fix it.

>Two evenings ago, you investigated a strange disturbance in the woods near the village. There you found an unknown human girl, and a mysterious white-winged youkai whose presence seemed to make you drift towards sleep. And then they spoke, and reality broke around you. You awakened to a world where some things are very different, and you've been trying to determine what caused this.

>You have discovered the human village abandoned, and inhabited only by Hina and a strange human woman named Shiouko. The Spring Snow incident went unresolved, and Gensokyo endured an entire year of winter. The ensuing famine killed a great many people, including your close friend Akyuu. The surviving humans now live in a new village at the foot of Youkai Mountain, under Kanako's protection. Kanako is working with the Kappa to industrialize Gensokyo, and some of the fruits of this work can already be found in the human village.

>You have met and befriended Rumia, who has been following you around ever since.

>You have found a chasm where the Hakurei Shrine should be. Apparently Reimu disappeared with it, sometime after the Scarlet Mist Incident.

>You have fought off Mystia, who evidently held a grude against you for reasons you cannot remember.

>You discovered a house that belonged to your counterpart in this timeline, who seems to have lived a life that you do not remember. She seems to have vanished since the time when you awoke.

>You have witnessed a large explosion of magical energy that appears to have transported a large patch of forest at a point between Yokai Mountain and the Scarlet Devil Mansion. When you investigated, you were attacked by a winged shadow creature that emerged from remnants of the energy. You obtained a sample of this energy, and gave it to Patchouli to analyze and she has mapped the location of similar fissures across Gensokyo

>You have explained your situation to Mokou, and she has been travelling with you ever since. She seems to be growing close to you already, and it's comforting to have her along.

>You have ventured into the Hell of Blazing Fires, and discovered that it has turned cold.

>You have learned that Utsuho is being held captive by Kanako, and she has told Orin that Utsuho can never be released.

>With the help of Suika, you have tunneled a path into Eientei, breaching the wards that surrounded it, and convinced Kaguya to restore the full moon.

>You've found Yukari's house, seperated from the rest of Gensokyo by a reality splice. Inside it, Yukari has been slumbering in a web of barriers for seven years, after she froze the border between the past and present to prevent a change in the future from rippling further backwards in time

>You have rescued Ran from inside this barrier and reunited her with Chen, after being seperated for seven years.

>Ran has opened a path along the fissures to where she believes the pieces of Gensokyo were transported. You have travelled along this path, discovering that it leads to Kyoto, 11 years in the future. You've found no sign of anything mysterious on the other side, however.

>You are currently at the Moriya Shrine, asking Sanae for advice about functioning in outside world. Ran and Mokou are accompanying you.

>"Hmmm, so I can only take one other person with me?"

>"Via that entry-point, yes," Ran says. "It's unfortunate that most of the more accessible fissures are either small or old."

> How far so you think the we'll end up from each other?

>Ran shakes her head. "I'm sorry, but I couldn't even estimate. This is also, um, assuming that we both pass through it intact."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Keine Quest (Part 4): Broken History
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:00:35 PM »
>Frown.
>"...Intact?"

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:13:41 PM »
>Frown.
>"...Intact?"

>"I spoke too hastily, I think," Ran says. "The portal key is very good at reinforcing stability in such things. We'd probably be fine."

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 10:16:59 PM »
> "I'd really like to know my chances of being torn to pieces you know".

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »
> "I'd really like to know my chances of being torn to pieces you know".

>"I'm not trying to withhold information from you," Ran says, looking a little uncomfortable. "Keep in mind that you implied I'd be accompanying you. I've no desire to be torn apart, myself. In all likelihood, we'll probably be fine."
>She sighs. "Perhaps if we wait some time, a more suitable launching point will appear?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
>"Perhaps. But wouldn't that be letting the problem get worse?"

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »
>"Perhaps. But wouldn't that be letting the problem get worse?"

>"I suppose it might," Ran admits, "But if you look at the dating on the map Patchouli constructed, most of the fissures are old, with increasingly fewer new ones the closer we get to the present. The phenomenon seems to be slowing down. It's quite reasonable to believe that it may stop altogether, given enough time."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »
>Nod.
>"I suppose it is too early to make these kinds of decisions. I wouldn't recommend going back until late this evening, anyways. It would be, I think, mid morning there now, and far too busy. If a new fissure opens up, then we can use it then."

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 10:54:41 PM »
>Nod.
>"I suppose it is too early to make these kinds of decisions. I wouldn't recommend going back until late this evening, anyways. It would be, I think, mid morning there now, and far too busy. If a new fissure opens up, then we can use it then."

>"That does seem sensible," Ran says.
>"What are you hoping to find over there, anyway?" Sanae asks. "Other than the Hakurei Shrine Maiden?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 10:58:45 PM »
>"That youkai I told you about. The one that, as far as we know, started this whole mess."

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 11:01:30 PM »
>"That youkai I told you about. The one that, as far as we know, started this whole mess."

>"And what will you do once you find her?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 11:08:46 PM »
>"Find out what is going on, and why."

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 11:12:53 PM »
>"Find out what is going on, and why."

>Sanae nods. "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 11:26:15 PM »
>"Yes, but an entirely unrelated matter. A bit more private, as well. Would you mind coming with me a bit?"

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 11:31:39 PM »
>"Yes, but an entirely unrelated matter. A bit more private, as well. Would you mind coming with me a bit?"

>"Of course," Sanae says.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 11:35:41 PM »
>Lead her outside, and away from the shrine a bit, to someplace relatively private.

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 11:47:12 PM »
>Lead her outside, and away from the shrine a bit, to someplace relatively private.

>You leave Ran and Mokou behind, and walk out of the main gate of the shrine and into the rocky cliffs beyond. Sanae follows quietly behind you. Once you are satisfied that you're far from other people, you stop.
>"What's on your mind?" Sanae asks.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 12:04:30 AM »
>"The hell raven. You have her in your possession, as I understand."

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 12:13:59 AM »
>"The hell raven. You have her in your possession, as I understand."

>Sanae looks at you oddly. "What are you talking about?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 12:18:01 AM »
>"I mean you are holding her prisoner."

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 12:23:20 AM »
> "The Hell Raven, Utsuho. I have heard she is being held by Kanako. Is this correct?"

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 12:54:42 AM »
>"I mean you are holding her prisoner."
> "The Hell Raven, Utsuho. I have heard she is being held by Kanako. Is this correct?"

>"What?" Sanae says, looking genuinely dismayed. "W- why would you- I'm afraid there must be some sort of misunderstanding. Where did you hear this?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 01:01:51 AM »
>"From the people who waited for her to come home. She never did."

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 01:02:46 AM »
>"From the people who waited for her to come home. She never did."

>"I- I don't understand."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 01:14:54 AM »
>"I- I don't understand."

>"What happened to her, Sanae? As far as you know?"

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 01:22:39 AM »
>"What happened to her, Sanae? As far as you know?"

>"Kanako defeated her. She sealed the source of her power, such that she would never again be able to threaten anyone. Beyond that, I'd never given it much thought."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 01:35:05 AM »
>"She never came home, Sanae. Perhaps it is time we go have a look at that sealed power?"

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 01:37:24 AM »
>"She never came home, Sanae. Perhaps it is time we go have a look at that sealed power?"

>"Look at the- I'd assumed that she'd sealed it in the hell raven herself. Outside of that, I'd have no idea where to even look."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 01:50:23 AM »
>"I am reasonably sure I have a general idea where she is."
>Point toward the facility where the Kappa were entering.

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 01:58:08 AM »
>"I am reasonably sure I have a general idea where she is."
>Point toward the facility where the Kappa were entering.

>Sanae's gaze follows where you're pointing. "That's just the mine. Well, there's also a couple research labs down there, for the more heavy-duty industrial projects. You know, hazardous materials and all that. What would it be doing there?"