Author Topic: Keine Quest (Part 3): Broken History  (Read 69638 times)

Keine Quest (Part 3): Broken History
« on: August 17, 2010, 09:33:24 PM »
>You are Keine Kamishirasawa, and the world around you is not the one you remember.

>Yesterday evening, you investigated a strange disturbance in the woods near the village. There you found an unknown human girl, and a mysterious white-winged youkai whose presence seemed to make you drift towards sleep. And then they spoke, and reality broke around you. You awakened to a world where some things are very different, and you've been trying to determine how to fix them.

>You have discovered the human village abandoned, and inhabited only by Hina and a strange human woman named Shiouko. The Spring Snow incident went unresolved, and Gensokyo endured an entire year of winter. The ensuing famine killed a great many people, including your close friend Akyuu. The surviving humans now live in a new village in the foot of Youkai Mountain, under Kanako's protection. Kanako is working with the Kappa to industrialize Gensokyo, and some of the fruits of this work can already be found in the human village.

>You have met and befriended Rumia, who has been following you around ever since.

>You have found a chasm where the Hakurei Shrine should be. Apparently Reimu disappeared with it, sometime after the Scarlet Mist Incident.

>You have fought off Mystia, who evidently held a grude against you for reasons you cannot remember.

>You discovered a house that belonged to your counterpart in this timeline, who seems to have lived a life that you do not remember. She seems to have vanished since yesterday; possibly when you awoke.

>You have realized that Eirin succeeded in sealing the moon years ago, thus preventing you from utilizing your hakutaku powers. You decided to breach Eientei to restore the true moon.

>You have witnessed a large explosion of unknown magical energy that appears to have removed a large patch of forest at a point between Yokai Mountain and the Scarlet Devil Mansion. When you investigated, you were attacked by a winged shadow creature that emerged from remnants of the energy. You obtained a sample of this energy, and gave it to Patchouli to analyze.

>You have explained your situation to Mokou, and she is travelling with you to help you break into Eientei. While she does not remember you, she seems to be growing accustomed to you, and it's comforting to have her along.

>You have ventured into the Hell of Blazing Fires, and discovered that it has turned cold.

>You have learned that Utsuho is being held captive by Kanako, and she has told Orin that Utsuho can never be released.

>With the help of Suika, you have tunneled a path into Eientei from below.

>You are currently confronting Reisen inside Eientei, outside of Kaguya's chambers.

>"We don't have a lot of time, I'm afraid. We must see the Princess soon. You'll forgive us for entering as we have, but really there was little choice in the matter."
>Don't look at the eyes.

>You make certain to avoid eye contact, and try to explain yourself.
>"The ward was erected for a reason," Reisen says. "Outsiders are not allowed here. If there were any exceptions, I would have been informed. Remain where you are and take no aggressive action, or I will be forced to subdue you."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:36:44 PM by DracoOmega »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Kiene Quest (Part 3): Broken History
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »
> Spell Keine's name wrong in the topic title.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Re: Keine Quest (Part 3): Broken History
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:37:19 PM »
> Spell Keine's name wrong in the topic title.

>You devour the history of this unfortunate accident. It never took place.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
>"Reisen, do you really think that is the best way to approach this situation, all considered?"

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:44:04 PM »
>"Reisen, do you really think that is the best way to approach this situation, all considered?"

>"All I can see is that two intruders have managed to breach a supposedly impenetrable defense, and then head directly for the princess's chambers. Intruders who are clearly not kindly disposed towards her," she eyes Mokou pointedly. "The princess has chosen to remain hidden for a reason, and gone to great lengths to ensure her secrecy. I have little choice but to regard you as hostile."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 10:00:32 PM »
>"And you didn't notice I knew your name."

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:07:47 PM »
>"And you didn't notice I knew your name."

>"You've already demonstrated knowledge of a number of things an ordinary outsider should not know," she says, her expression unchanging. "You've clearly done your reconnaissance well, by whatever means it was accomplished. But it changes nothing."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 10:15:35 PM »
>"So, you don't know how we got in. You don't know how I know who you are. And your reaction is to try to fight us, rather than solving these mysteries? Eirin trained you better than this, Reisen. Or, do you really think you have a prayer against Mokou, let alone all three of us? It would be best if you handled this civilly."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:19:58 PM by Zombie Purvis »

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:23:04 PM »
>"So, you don't know how we got in. You don't know how I know who you are. And your reaction is to try to fight us, rather than solving these mysteries? Eirin trained you better than this, Reisen. Or, do you really think you have a prayer against Mokou?"

>"I don't intend to fight you unless you force me to. And there will be answers from you before all this is over, one way or the other. But spare me the psychology; if you feel that you can overpower me so easily, why are you still here?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:27:12 PM »
>"Ah, so you say this now. In any event, it is because I have no desire for it. Now, if you don't intend to be helpful and work toward resolving this peacefully, please move aside."

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 10:29:43 PM »
>"Ah, so you say this now. In any event, it is because I have no desire for it. Now, if you don't intend to be helpful and work toward resolving this peacefully, please move aside."

>"No," she says firmly. "I will not let strangers wander freely around this house. Remain where you are."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 10:40:35 PM »
>"As you wish."
>Invoke familiars. Move if she tries something.
>"Mokou, please try not to be too rough."

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 10:57:29 PM »
>"As you wish."
>Invoke familiars. Move if she tries something.

>You begin to summon familiars, and then suddenly the corridor seems to change shape in front of you; the movement is hard to follow and dizzying. There are now three hallways branching away from you, and Reisen stands at the end of each of them. "If you know who I am," she says, the source of her voice shifting back and forth between them, "then you know what I'm capable of. Don't expect any mercy from me."

>"Mokou, please try not to be too rough."

>"Like hell!" she replies, her eyes shifting back and forth in front of her.
>Rumia squeals, then turns and runs into a nearby wall with enough force to knock her off her feet. She yelps.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 11:21:47 PM »
>Place a hand on the nearby wall.
>"Nothing of substance should Mokou set you on fire."
>Can we trace her voice?

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 11:32:20 PM »
>Place a hand on the nearby wall.

>You place a hand on the closest wall. It still feels solid and normal enough.

>"Nothing of substance should Mokou set you on fire."

>"Power is meaningless when you cannot even see what's in front of you," Reisen replies.

>Can we trace her voice?

>Her voice seems to come from one direction and then another. Sometimes even from several directions at once, getting nearer and then drifting further away.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 11:43:53 PM »
>Ponder if we know Eientei to be warded against fire, given Mokou and being made of paper and wood.

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 11:46:44 PM »
>Ponder if we know Eientei to be warded against fire, given Mokou and being made of paper and wood.

>You think that Kaguya used a little of her eternity power to keep the mansion itself in good repair over the centuries, but you're not sure how well that translates to being unable to burn, in the short term.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 11:59:53 PM »
>"Reisen, before you get too wrapped up into things, you have considered that we're in a house full of paper. Right next to the Princess' quarters, and that your tactics are going to cause Mokou to throw a lot of fire around in an attempt to hit you?"
>Were there any windows in Kaguya's room?

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 12:15:13 AM »
>"Reisen, before you get too wrapped up into things, you have considered that we're in a house full of paper. Right next to the Princess' quarters, and that your tactics are going to cause Mokou to throw a lot of fire around in an attempt to hit you?"

>"If you set things on fire, that is your doing," she replies, "and the consequence is also yours. I only told you to stay where you were. You are the aggressor, here."

>Were there any windows in Kaguya's room?

>There was one, yes.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 12:34:11 AM »
>"Doesn't mean they're any less on fire, Reisen. And you're smart enough to know it takes two for things things to happen. Please don't devour your common sense in the name of strict loyalty, neither your master nor the princess would be proud of you for it."
>Feel for that door.

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 12:44:03 AM »
>"Doesn't mean they're any less on fire, Reisen. And you're smart enough to know it takes two for things things to happen. Please don't devour your common sense in the name of strict loyalty, neither your master nor the princess would be proud of you for it."

>"Then what do you expect me to do? Walk off and forget about you? Let you do as you please in our home?"

>Feel for that door.

>You reach for the door. It seems to be where it ought to be.
>"If you attempt to flee," Reisen says, noting your gesture, "I will shoot."

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
> Won't the effect be rendered null if Rumia uses her darkness?
> If so and the window is big enough, tell Rumia to envelope the hallway in darkness and get everyone to escape through the window in Kaguya's room.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 01:05:07 AM »
>Given it affects sound, mere darkness probably won't cut it. But it would even the odds a bit.
>"I told you what to needs to be done, Reisen. This is far more important than just you. You may either accept this is true, in light of the evidence you've seen so far, or you can continue to pretend this is just some assault on your princess. Don't you think Mokou's been very restrained for an attack? Doesn't this tell you anything?"

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 01:20:44 AM »
> Won't the effect be rendered null if Rumia uses her darkness?

>You're not certain if she can manipulate the appearance of things she can't see herself. At the very least, though, she shouldn't be able to see you.

>Given it affects sound, mere darkness probably won't cut it. But it would even the odds a bit.

>It does seem like it might help. How much, you probably won't know until you try it.

> If so and the window is big enough, tell Rumia to envelope the hallway in darkness and get everyone to escape through the window in Kaguya's room.

>The window is probably big enough to get through, once opened, but you're not sure whether darkness would break the effect Reisen's creating, nor whether all three of you are even seeing the same thing.

>"I told you what to needs to be done, Reisen. This is far more important than just you. You may either accept this is true, in light of the evidence you've seen so far, or you can continue to pretend this is just some assault on your princess. Don't you think Mokou's been very restrained for an attack? Doesn't this tell you anything?"

>"It tells me that you don't yet want to provoke a battle. There are several possible reasons for this, and many of them do not require your honest intentions. If you truly believe you have business with the princess, tell me what it is."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 01:27:06 AM »
>"Will you cooperate, regardless of what I say, if I do so and there is no implied threat?"

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 01:32:19 AM »
>"Will you cooperate, regardless of what I say, if I do so and there is no implied threat?"

>"I can't promise to do anything before I know what you're going to say. But speak."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 01:45:34 AM »
>"We need to unseal the moon, so that the past can be put back together the way it's supposed to be."

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 01:51:55 AM »
>"We need to unseal the moon, so that the past can be put back together the way it's supposed to be."

>"The past?" she says, raising an eyebrow at you. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 02:01:06 AM »
>"It is exactly as I said. The past has been altered, drastically. How aware are you of the outside world? Do you know how the long winter ravaged the human village? Do you know how the Hell Crow lost her mind and was captured by Kanako? None of it was supposed to happen! Something important change, and many people have died! And since you sealed off the moon, which also never should have happened, we can't fix it. There, are you satisfied? Can we stop wasting time? Or do you still want to tell yourself this is just some dumb raid, even though the one woman who has less reason than any to show restraint has had the buddha's patience tonight?"

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 02:15:48 AM »
>"It is exactly as I said. The past has been altered, drastically. How aware are you of the outside world? Do you know how the long winter ravaged the human village? Do you know how the Hell Crow lost her mind and was captured by Kanako? None of it was supposed to happen! Something important change, and many people have died! And since you sealed off the moon, which also never should have happened, we can't fix it. There, are you satisfied? Can we stop wasting time? Or do you still want to tell yourself this is just some dumb raid, even though the one woman who has less reason than any to show restraint has had the buddha's patience tonight?"

>Reisen's brow furrows as you explain yourself. "That's a very... original alibi. But you asking us to reopen the way to the moon is suspicious enough in its own right. They cannot be allowed to find us. I doubt people like you are their agents, but it doesn't matter; I'm not the one who decides what to do with you."