Author Topic: 東方蒼神縁起 ~ The Genius of Sappheiros -- Translation Thread  (Read 121760 times)

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
Re: 東方蒼神縁起 ~ The Genius of Sappheiros -- Translation Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2010, 02:59:23 PM »
I don't think you really can translate a table with no text to translate...

The no-text tables are up there just for reference and the fact that I wanted to have a complete list of all the tables on the opening post.

Please read it carefully before choosing again.
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
  • I, the Fallen Angel, will knock you all down!
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2010, 03:24:04 PM »
...Okay then. O_O I'll admit I wasn't paying attention. I assumed that would be a table with the names and descriptions of the accessories. Apparently not. Just give me any one you want then. I give up. xD

Although to be honest I'm not sure why I'm being so picky about what to translate. >_>
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:31:04 PM by kirinelf »

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2010, 04:00:51 PM »
Although to be honest I'm not sure why I'm being so picky about what to translate. >_>
I don't mind.

Anyways, I am going to assign you to map.csv and bt_eve.csv.

Also, I will upload chr.csv, catl.csv, and let.csv to the thread. In my opinion, I do not find it necessary to assign it to any one person because the information required for translation on those tables are fairly small.

Finally, I'll update the opening post with the original tables (all three formats: .csv, .ods, and .xls) so that people can proofread, cross reference, and edit the currently finished tables. If you open a table that is marked on the opening post as "In Progress" and you are not the translator assigned to that table, do NOT upload your own translated table on here; it gets incredibly annoying both to me and the person working on that table. Instead, just post suggestions on what may be interpreted differently (i.e. Nazerine asking on Youmu's three stances); it allows the translator who is working on it to make the changes before they upload their table and thus makes it more efficient. Or something.

Tell me if there's any really big problems with that because I seriously think I may accidently wreck trains with that system. I am going to do this as soon as I get home from college, so if something does come up before I do this, say it now!
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2010, 05:25:12 AM »
Sorry I'm so late, kirinelf! Family stuff happened.

Here's your bt_eve.csv and map.csv.

Unfortunately, I have to put off the update of opening post until tomorrow.

Thank you for being patient!
Horie dorie~

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2010, 06:50:15 AM »
I'm going to be a bit delayed with this monster.csv, I'm also dealing with an event script for ECO that the DEV is waiting on. C# is one annoying piece of code to work with.

Also, I still haven't heard back from Hime about the ability.csv. Any news on that?

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2010, 06:55:36 AM »
Sorry, my bad, been busy with uni and real life issues.

We'll need to decide whether we use yours or my translation for the Skill Tree skills since I've already done those in the item.csv - so I suppose that'll have to wait? I have no idea if I should post that right now or not since it's going to take me some time to complete.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2010, 07:12:13 AM »
You can either send me yours or I can send you mine. I haven't actually gone past the weapon abilities since you asked to come to a middle ground on it. But if you're completely done with it, then I don't mind just working on the monster.csv.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2010, 07:17:10 AM »
You can either send me yours or I can send you mine. I haven't actually gone past the weapon abilities since you asked to come to a middle ground on it. But if you're completely done with it, then I don't mind just working on the monster.csv.

Yep, checking my list now - I've done mostly all the weapon and unique skills and working on the level up skills for the characters.

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2010, 07:18:43 AM »
Is there any actual difference between our two lists, or is the entirety of the abilities.csv inside the item/skills.csv? If there is a difference, then I'd love to know about it so I can finish it and move on.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2010, 07:30:42 AM »
Is there any actual difference between our two lists, or is the entirety of the abilities.csv inside the item/skills.csv? If there is a difference, then I'd love to know about it so I can finish it and move on.

I'm not sure because I haven't seen ability.csv

However, I believe that if ability.csv covers skills found in the skill growth tables, then they will all be inside item.csv because the descriptions are always the same. Note that this only applies to WEAPON skills

Silentsword

• Ace Hakurei Attorney
  • Practical solutions to impractical problems!
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2010, 01:13:34 PM »
I just noticed that you're working on a translation of Genius of Sappheiros.  First, you guys are awesome and I look forward to the finished product.

Second, if you need someone to playtest any patching as you go, especially when it comes to seeing the effects of edits on the fly, I'd like to offer to do so.  (I'm running the game using a virtual machine, so I can swap the translated files at will - I assume that might help out.) 

Also, I note on the thread that you're looking for someone to do some image edits for the translation.  I have some experience, nothing too fancy, and I can't guarantee results, but if you've something I can cut my teeth on, I'd be willing to give it a go this weekend.

Unfortunately, my translation abilities are nonexistant (still learning the language), although

Thanks for all your work, both on this and on other projects    And good luck.
"But if I don't do this, then all that's left is to stand around and do nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that. That's the problem with the freedom of choice he was talking about: once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you choose not to exercise it." - Commander Warner Caslet.

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
I'm not sure because I haven't seen ability.csv

However, I believe that if ability.csv covers skills found in the skill growth tables, then they will all be inside item.csv because the descriptions are always the same. Note that this only applies to WEAPON skills

So basically, since I'm done with the weapon ability tree, there's no need to worry about going over anything else since the passive ability trees are only in the abilities.csv?

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2010, 10:33:45 PM »
All .csv and .ods tables uploaded for Finished and In Progress items.

Also, catl.csv/catl.ods, chr.csv/chr.ods, and let.csv/let.ods uploaded on the opening post. If you are going to grab one of these tables to translate, post on the thread so I know who to look out for when you get the finished table up.

Enjoy your stay!
Horie dorie~

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2010, 03:10:36 AM »
So basically, since I'm done with the weapon ability tree, there's no need to worry about going over anything else since the passive ability trees are only in the abilities.csv?

This should be the case

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2010, 03:32:10 AM »
Back to work then  :3

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2010, 07:17:31 AM »
Having a bit of trouble with ヴィオトポス. Biotoposu/Viotoposu...? Should I transliterate or can you guys come up with any ideas?

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2010, 08:02:33 AM »
What is it, exactly? A skill/item? Monster?

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2010, 08:10:07 AM »
Spoiler:
It's a monster. It's one of the Gorgon sisters, so I assume it's supposed to sound Greek.

At the moment I have it as Viotopos.

Also, just to clarify. My current translation style focuses more on actual translations rather than partial romanization. In other words, instead of naming places Chireiden or Meikai, I have Palace of the Earth Spirits and Netherworld. Would you prefer if I romanized stuff instead or am I alright to continue thus?

As of the moment, the only exceptions are character names like Myouren and Hakurei, and Eientei, because 'House of Eternity' isn't as Touhou-ish.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:13:36 AM by kirinelf »

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2010, 08:29:19 AM »
I would really  like it romanized, but that's just me.

Also, how is the progress going, percentage wise?

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »
Well, I'm finished with map.csv. I have two versions: map_trans.csv and map_roma.csv.

map_trans.csv is a direct translation. All Japanese in there (except character names like Hakurei and Myouren) has been translated into English. Eientei -> House of Eternity, Jinja -> Shrine etc.

map_roma.csv is a transliteration of Japanese into romaji. Everything within reason has been changed, with the exception of actual position names like North, South, Center, Underground etc.

Use as you see fit. ^^

Edit: bt_exe.csv looks like it's gonna be a pain in the behind to translate. Am I alright to ignore sentence lengths? They have breaks (\n), so there seems to be a character limit, and it hurts my brain.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:11:27 AM by kirinelf »

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2010, 01:30:08 PM »
As far as we know, sentences will have to stay the same length. I ignored/didn't know that for some parts of the items file and am hoping that some character-setting miracle will make things a little easier, but it's probably best to assume that being too wordy will just mean more editing later.

(PS Viotopos sounds good. I don't know of anything that fits, so?)

Also, if we're keeping place names in Japanese, one of Satori's unique armor pieces needs to have its named changed back--can't say it's a bad thing; the Japanese names tend to be shorter, and shorter is better.

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2010, 01:46:52 PM »
Most of the sentences regarding the enemy escaping were rather generic in Japanese. I tried to change it to match each character's personality/powers. Hope it doesn't screw too many things up.

I really hope the character limit can be worked around. It's not easy capturing the essence of the sentence in English. For example: "さすが幻想郷を代表する博麗の巫女達" is translated into "As expected of Gensoukyou's representatives, the Hakurei miko and her friends." which is about twice as long. I can cut it if I have to, but it misses out on the full meaning.

I think I should just translate as normal and worry about spacing later...?

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2010, 02:54:06 PM »
Re: Spacing
Not sure how this is handled

Re: Translation issues
Since I've already finished the game, feel free to ask me about some monster-related things you're unsure of, you can get a hold of me on IRC or PM or something.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »
Having a bit of trouble with ヴィオトポス. Biotoposu/Viotoposu...? Should I transliterate or can you guys come up with any ideas?
Here's an excerpt from the old man:
Quote from: Catharsis Post.475510
>>473330
I think it's definitely Biotopos - at least, I translated it that way in the monster list because of http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1119342366 (See the Best Answer).

Romaji doesn't always follow what you may think "sounds correct" in another language. For example, you usually say ハンバーグ, instead of ハム.

リトス is almost definitely Lithos, which actually means "Gemstone", I think. If you think anything sounds wrong in the monster list, just let me know - I might be off the translation project, but I still read the thread once in a while.

One of the problems with translation is that you need a pretty comprehensive knowledge of obscure mythology/references, i.e. someone that knows マナナーン should be "Mannanan" and not "Mana none" or whatever. I used to call haphazard translation "Wiznaibus syndrome". Even the Japanese themselves don't always get it "right", which results in stuff like キュベレイ being translated as "Qubeley" instead of "Cybele".

Also, just to clarify. My current translation style focuses more on actual translations rather than partial romanization. In other words, instead of naming places Chireiden or Meikai, I have Palace of the Earth Spirits and Netherworld. Would you prefer if I romanized stuff instead or am I alright to continue thus?
Well, that's why we're posting our stuff here, isn't it? For me, I think partial is better (because it's in Japan, etc) but that seems unfair to other players. I'll go ask Pooshlmer for a second opinion. The other translators here can express their views as well. The point is that it has to be consistent or else it'll be all "Let's go to  the Palace of Earth Spirits!" "We're at Chireiden." or something more sillier than that.

I really hope the character limit can be worked around. It's not easy capturing the essence of the sentence in English. For example: "さすが幻想郷を代表する博麗の巫女達" is translated into "As expected of Gensoukyou's representatives, the Hakurei miko and her friends." which is about twice as long. I can cut it if I have to, but it misses out on the full meaning.

I think I should just translate as normal and worry about spacing later...?
Overbuilding it and subtracting is better than building a little and adding it piece by piece because we still have no idea how much we can actually fit in a line yet and more content has more potential, does it not?

Placed a note about that in the opening post.
Horie dorie~

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2010, 06:01:22 PM »
>>Manannan
I knew reading that book of Irish mythology would pay off somehow!
>>Japanese don't always get it right
Yes. I've caught a number of those so far, and GoS is by no means the worst offender that I've seen. That said………
>>Qubely/Cybele
………OOOOH. Might want to fix that on line 76 of the items file--I would do some editing myself and post an update but I'm not sure how much you've done, Choja.
(Also, I'm still almost certain that "Mauma" means something. But then again, the current translation is amusing enough for me to be happy with it.)

(edit RE: "biotopos" -- I think it should be "viotopos" because there is such a thing as a "biotope." I mean, it's a monster, not an ecological region……)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:03:28 PM by Nazerine »

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2010, 08:16:51 PM »
I would do some editing myself and post an update but I'm not sure how much you've done, Choja.
I have actually not done anything to your items table. Remind me for being a horrible person and all but I am just waiting until all necessary tables are done before going into editing  :ohdear:.

Well, I'm finished with map.csv. I have two versions: map_trans.csv and map_roma.csv.

map_trans.csv is a direct translation. All Japanese in there (except character names like Hakurei and Myouren) has been translated into English. Eientei -> House of Eternity, Jinja -> Shrine etc.

map_roma.csv is a transliteration of Japanese into romaji. Everything within reason has been changed, with the exception of actual position names like North, South, Center, Underground etc.

Use as you see fit. ^^
Just checked it out.

Consensus says that translations should be literal (map_trans.csv). I have a few exceptions and notes though:

Notes:
  • House of Eternity should stay as Eientei due to it being clunky in English (and also too wordy in general).
  • I need clarification on if Mound of the Nameless is named that or is actually called Nameless Hill.
  • Viotopos should be Biotopos, but that's a complicated problem. Also, Rithos to Lithos.
  • The most difficult challenge (for me) is dealing with Uchouten/Excessive Glory and Gen Unkai/Mysterious Sea of Clouds.

Anyways, I will be passing this along to Pooshlmer for discussion as well.

One more thing: I think we should keep all item names as Romanji unless it refers to a place name. Of course, I think Nazerine accidentally took care of this, but I'm just reaffirming!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:52:57 PM by Nat Tea »
Horie dorie~

Melfice666

• confused
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »
I wanted to ask here that how far is this translation gone?
I looked quickly trough these 3 pages due my lack of knowledge in the stuff you are speaking about, and I'm sorry if this is asked already
also a perchanche a silly question but are you going to release a idiot usable patch at some point? :P

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2010, 10:32:19 PM »
琉輪影舞 <--- One of Youmu's passive sword skill buffs. Particularly, the one that causes instant death. I'm kind of guessing this is in chinese as it doesn't really make sense in japanese, and a chinese friend called it "Flowing reincarnation shadow dance." Or "Ariba", for short. I personally have no clue what to translate this as, but if you break down the kanji, you get "Gem", "Ring", "Shadow", and "Dance".

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2010, 11:07:28 PM »
Arriba!
I don't know either. Maybe just call it Ryuurin Keibu?

Milfice666: there was a test patch put together, but it'll be a while before we finish the translation--be patient! (If you wanted to help out, that wouldn't hurt, either)

(edit: well, I still don't have a translation, but it appears that this is not the first time that name has been used: http://wikiwiki.jp/hadikise/?%C9%F0%BB%CE%C6%BB%C9%F4 I guess if there was ever a translation of Hadikise!, one of us should look and see what they called the skill there.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:11:48 PM by Nazerine »

Silentsword

• Ace Hakurei Attorney
  • Practical solutions to impractical problems!
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2010, 11:22:09 PM »
琉輪影舞 <--- One of Youmu's passive sword skill buffs. Particularly, the one that causes instant death. I'm kind of guessing this is in chinese as it doesn't really make sense in japanese, and a chinese friend called it "Flowing reincarnation shadow dance." Or "Ariba", for short. I personally have no clue what to translate this as, but if you break down the kanji, you get "Gem", "Ring", "Shadow", and "Dance".

Call it "Shadow Slayer" or "Dead End", perhaps?  Shadow Slayer Dance?

GoS is based very strongly on the SaGa series, and those are traditional instant-kill moves (Shadow Slayer is Bow, Dead End is Sword).  I just checked the Ultimanias, and the kanji don't match, but they'd probably still make sense....
"But if I don't do this, then all that's left is to stand around and do nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that. That's the problem with the freedom of choice he was talking about: once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you choose not to exercise it." - Commander Warner Caslet.