Author Topic: Jojo's Bizarre Grail War Part 3: A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 224884 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Jojo's Bizarre Grail War Part 3: A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #870 on: May 11, 2018, 03:58:43 AM »
> "Huh, what was that like?"

>"Loud, colorful, lotta white people, smelled like weed," she says. "I didn't have any real context for what I saw, or who was on stage."

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #871 on: May 11, 2018, 05:51:46 PM »
> "Oh, that's right...speaking of the slow thing..."
> "Can you run me by what exactly you and Caster were doing around the time he tried to dump that mountain of sand on Archer?"
> "I was having a hard time using any mana throughout most of the fight, and at first I thought that might be coming from you, since it didn't go away unless you were playing."
> "I threw one of my walls into it as kind of a crapshoot to buy some time, but at that moment I was able to stop the flow of the whole thing so Archer could get away, and I've never been able to do anything like that before."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #872 on: May 11, 2018, 07:48:53 PM »
> "Oh, that's right...speaking of the slow thing..."
> "Can you run me by what exactly you and Caster were doing around the time he tried to dump that mountain of sand on Archer?"
> "I was having a hard time using any mana throughout most of the fight, and at first I thought that might be coming from you, since it didn't go away unless you were playing."
> "I threw one of my walls into it as kind of a crapshoot to buy some time, but at that moment I was able to stop the flow of the whole thing so Archer could get away, and I've never been able to do anything like that before."

>"Oh, he could distort mana flows," Georgia says. "It's kind of a gamble, since it affects everyone, including me. But we coordinated so he'd drop it at times and I could do stuff. Once you killed my synth, though, there wasn't any reason for him to stop anymore. Surprised you didn't figure it out. I got no idea what you're talking about with that other stuff."

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #873 on: May 11, 2018, 08:01:41 PM »
> "I wonder what happened, then..."
> Have we ever learned how to cast a spell intuitively, rather than through study?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #874 on: May 12, 2018, 08:00:35 AM »
> "I wonder what happened, then..."
> Have we ever learned how to cast a spell intuitively, rather than through study?

>"What was the spell supposed to do?" Georgia asks.
>That sort of thing hasn't really been possible for millennia, as far as you know.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #875 on: May 12, 2018, 02:43:47 PM »
> "Well, y'know, I thought I would just try to pour a lot of mana into it and make a really big wall to hold it for a moment."
> "That's not what happened though, instead it was more like it slowed down gravity long enough for Archer to get away."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #876 on: May 12, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »
> "Well, y'know, I thought I would just try to pour a lot of mana into it and make a really big wall to hold it for a moment."
> "That's not what happened though, instead it was more like it slowed down gravity long enough for Archer to get away."

>"That...shouldn't happen," she says, frowning. "I mean, you don't just cast one spell and get a different one."

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #877 on: May 12, 2018, 05:17:44 PM »
> "Yeah, I dunno. All I can do is chalk it up to the magic getting weirded out by Caster's distortion."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #878 on: May 12, 2018, 06:38:32 PM »
> "Yeah, I dunno. All I can do is chalk it up to the magic getting weirded out by Caster's distortion."

>"I never had that happen," she says with a shrug.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #879 on: May 12, 2018, 11:02:48 PM »
> "I mean, if it turns out I actually am Slow Girl and I have secret timestop powers that'd be cool, but also really disturbing. That's the kind of thing people try to dissect you for."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #880 on: May 13, 2018, 03:26:04 AM »
> "I mean, if it turns out I actually am Slow Girl and I have secret timestop powers that'd be cool, but also really disturbing. That's the kind of thing people try to dissect you for."

>"Yeah, I might not let word of that get to the Mage Association," she says.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #881 on: May 14, 2018, 02:16:01 PM »
> "Well, Georgia, I think I'm gonna call it a night. Caster almost turned me and Archer inside-out and I'd really like to lie down now."
> "Good luck getting out of here, I'll call you when I figure out what I'm gonna do about your synth."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #882 on: May 14, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »
> "Well, Georgia, I think I'm gonna call it a night. Caster almost turned me and Archer inside-out and I'd really like to lie down now."
> "Good luck getting out of here, I'll call you when I figure out what I'm gonna do about your synth."

>"I'm going to need a bit," Georgia says, as you start to notice the distinct red and blue lights of police cars dance weakly across the trees. "But yeah, you get some rest."
>"They're driving past," Archer says. "Probably going to start with the beach."

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #883 on: May 14, 2018, 06:18:34 PM »
> "Oh yeah. Well, the cooler's there if you need something to eat."
> "Archer, can you see her to her car once the cops are gone?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #884 on: May 14, 2018, 07:51:00 PM »
> "Oh yeah. Well, the cooler's there if you need something to eat."
> "Archer, can you see her to her car once the cops are gone?"

>"I'll go easy on it, don't worry," says Georgia.
>"Sure, that's easy enough," Archer says. "Just get some rest."

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #885 on: May 14, 2018, 09:22:39 PM »
> "Good night, then."
> "Nice meeting you, Georgia. Thanks for being sane, it's a rare quality in a magus."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #886 on: May 14, 2018, 09:43:47 PM »
> "Good night, then."
> "Nice meeting you, Georgia. Thanks for being sane, it's a rare quality in a magus."

>"Isn't it?" she says.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #887 on: May 15, 2018, 12:22:23 AM »
> Let's go to our tent and get some rest.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #888 on: May 15, 2018, 01:25:13 AM »
> Let's go to our tent and get some rest.

>You crawl into your tent.
>Sleep comes fitfully; you'd really rather be resting on a proper bed, but this sleeping bag is good enough. You sort of drift in and out for awhile, sometimes you can hear Georgia and Archer talking softly. At one point, you are sure you hear something like water splashing softly, but given that Archer isn't raising an alarm, your sore and half asleep mind doesn't really rouse enough to worry about. While trying to fall asleep, your mind drifts back to what happened with your Wall spell. By all rights, that should have been impossible. You don't just cast a spell and get a wholly different one. What happened? Why did it happen? You have no ready answers.
>All around you is traffic, moving slower and slower. You smile as you stand between the lines on the road, cars passing as if they were merely strolling. Smog fills the air, blotting out the sun. You watch as individual wisps move in a gradual dance, pushed by strong winds too slow to feel. There is a light, a flame, charging across the the highway. It does not stop, it does not slow. You watch as it vaults over a car, landing atop another and pushing forward, not losing any of its momentum. The flame burns with exuberance, coming from nowhere and destined for nowhere. It simply exists, exulting in this fact, uncaring of part or present. It does not slow, it does not halt. It burns and burns, and will continue until there is naught left to burn. The cars have come to a standstill, the birds barely inch across the sky, the flam leaps from another car and grabs onto the edge of an overpass, flowing up onto it.  Do you hate it? Envy it? You cannot answer.
>The red-haired woman in green kneels over her partner. The smaller, dark-haired woman's body is riddled with wounds. Her blood seeps into into the ground, staining nourishing the roots of a yew tree. Each moment it moves more and more slowly, you cannot exult in this. They speak, their words are too low, too slow to hear. Perhaps they aren't to heard by either. "It's not so bad," the dark-haired woman utters, her voice haggard and weak. Then the other reaches down, her hand moving with the speed of an icicle forming, and closes the wounded one's eyes. There may be others, but in permanent sense, you understand she will always be alone in some sense. The sun is rising, lighting the eastern sky with rays of slow-moving pain.
>You awaken, sore and hungry. It is not quite dark.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #889 on: May 15, 2018, 02:56:53 AM »
> Are we hungrier than we are tired?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #890 on: May 15, 2018, 03:54:36 AM »
> Are we hungrier than we are tired?

>It seems like.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #891 on: May 15, 2018, 03:57:28 AM »
> Get up, then.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #892 on: May 15, 2018, 04:40:48 AM »
> Get up, then.

>You slowly get up. You're still sore, but...not so badly as yesterday. The pain is duller. You kind of want some ibuprofen.
>It seems to be just before dawn. Opening up the tent, you can see Archer sitting beside what appears to be a waist-high pile of dirt.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #893 on: May 15, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »
That dream combined with that new avatar is distressing.

> "Morning, Archer. Whatcha got there?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #894 on: May 15, 2018, 06:43:02 PM »
That dream combined with that new avatar is distressing.

> "Morning, Archer. Whatcha got there?"

>"Morning, Lily," Archer says. "This is the charcoal mound I was talking about yesterday. All that wood I gathered up is burning away in here. Sometime later, we'll pull it open and there will be a nice pile of fresh charcoal for us. If I get time, I'll make a basket to put it in. You feeling okay?"

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #895 on: May 15, 2018, 07:16:31 PM »
> "I just had a prophetic dream about dying horribly in the middle of traffic, so I think I'm going to take your advice and not ride in any more cars until the Grail War's over."
> "Aside from that, still kind of rough, I guess. How about you?"
> Move towards the cooler.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #896 on: May 15, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
> "I just had a prophetic dream about dying horribly in the middle of traffic, so I think I'm going to take your advice and not ride in any more cars until the Grail War's over."
> "Aside from that, still kind of rough, I guess. How about you?"
> Move towards the cooler.

>"A lot better," Archer says. "Though I was probably a bit hard on your mana to get there. But I felt it was for the best. And...really, you dreamed about that? Because I was going to suggest we should drive somewhere and get a more hearty breakfast than what we have here. It'd do you some good."

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #897 on: May 15, 2018, 10:13:48 PM »
> "Yeah, you remember me talking about the whole slowing down thing, right? This dream was the same, except this time there was someone that was just charging by and totally immune to it."
> "I couldn't really tell who it was. Just by the feeling of it, it could've been about Berserker, but that's just a guess."
> "But yeah, I think I'm gonna take that omen seriously and take it slow this morning. We'll walk into town later and go out for a victory lunch instead."
> Root around for a quick fix to our hunger.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #898 on: May 15, 2018, 11:34:50 PM »
> "Yeah, you remember me talking about the whole slowing down thing, right? This dream was the same, except this time there was someone that was just charging by and totally immune to it."
> "I couldn't really tell who it was. Just by the feeling of it, it could've been about Berserker, but that's just a guess."
> "But yeah, I think I'm gonna take that omen seriously and take it slow this morning. We'll walk into town later and go out for a victory lunch instead."
> Root around for a quick fix to our hunger.

>"Have you dreamed about servants before?" Archer says. "And yeah, feel free to laze around for the next few hours, I think you've earned it. Can't imagine we'd have to worry about an attack here."
>You root around, and find a variety of snacks that aren't suitable for any meal. It seems Georgia took a little, but not too much.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #899 on: May 16, 2018, 12:11:59 AM »
> "Well, it's not super clear, but not usually, no. It's the masters I normally get the sense of. If it was the master I saw, though, that was one hell of a master."
> "Oh, except for you. Whenever I see myself, you're there too."
> "Did Georgia give you any trouble?"
> Settle for cheetos and a beer.