Author Topic: UFO Glitch; may warrant suicide  (Read 16337 times)

Hawk

• Babababa~
UFO Glitch; may warrant suicide
« on: August 19, 2009, 05:09:52 AM »
This just happened, and I'm in no fit mental condition to redo it, but I just broke a billion points in UFO...

...and it crashed.

I'm 99% sure it crashed the frame it tried to display the billions place.

Can someone who's adept at cheating test this?  Like, just hack the point worth to a huge number and get it in stage 1?

I'm really sad right now...

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: UFO Glitch; may warrant suicide
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:11:32 AM »
The best part is that people are going to actually expect ZUN to release a patch for this. Come on people, you all know he'll never do that.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:16:46 AM »
may warrant suicide? okay, that is just hyperbole straight up

1. 1 billion has been achieved /within 3 days after the game came out (so it's somewhat easy to do)
2. 90% of western Touhou players do not really care for scoring (so no one cares that much)
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Drake

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:05:23 AM »
Sorry, I can't find the Score address at the moment to test. Not sure where it would be.

However I did find a bunch of other handy addresses.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Hawk

• Babababa~
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:07:52 AM »
may warrant suicide? okay, that is just hyperbole straight up
Uh...Yes?  Of course it's an exaggeration.

1. 1 billion has been achieved /within 3 days after the game came out (so it's somewhat easy to do)
Do you have a replay?  That would solve my quandry (if it doesn't crash during the replay, then this was a freak occurrance).

2. 90% of western Touhou players do not really care for scoring (so no one cares that much)
90% of Japanese players don't care for scoring either.  Scoring is never a quest of the majority.  Most people play to play, and a select few decide that they like the game enough to try and do it better.  This is completely irrevelant, though.  I've pleaded my case to the community; if no one cares, so be it, but I had to at least try.

Quote from: CAPTAIN MURASA MINADRAKE
Sorry, I can't find the Score address at the moment to test. Not sure where it would be.

However I did find a bunch of other handy addresses

I appreciate the effort.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:58:10 AM »
I believe Heartbeam encountered the same glitch.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »
I believe Heartbeam encountered the same glitch.

You mean this person?

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=503841#p503841

I suppose this won't be problematic for those of us who can't even 1cc normal or even the majority of hardcore Touhou players, but still a nasty bug nonetheless. Didn't even know you could even go beyond 999M in the other games though.

LtC

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:45:45 AM »
The best part is that people are going to actually expect ZUN to release a patch for this. Come on people, you all know he'll never do that.
Funnily none of the bugs in the other games are as gamebreaking as this, and you could avoid them pretty easily.

Heartbeam

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 10:53:07 AM »
This just happened, and I'm in no fit mental condition to redo it, but I just broke a billion points in UFO...

...and it crashed.

I'm 99% sure it crashed the frame it tried to display the billions place.

Can someone who's adept at cheating test this?  Like, just hack the point worth to a huge number and get it in stage 1?

I'm really sad right now...

This error has persisted with every (well, mine) playthrough to come near one billion.  Most of them are from collecting the UFO cache as well as a case where the spell capture bonus pushed it to that point.

By the way, as Sanae B do you have a nice method for filling up the blue UFO before stage five midboss Nazrin?  If not then you can check this replay to see a suggested path.

What could be fixed:
-change the UFO order so the summoned rainbow/flashing UFO spits out a color other than blue.  That way it'll change to the color later than is shown in the run.
-It's cut a bit close with the last two waves of spawning yin-yang orbs, and ideally Sanae will be moving straight down slowly to catch the wave from the right as well as the left with the frog splash damage.
-In a real run I'd rather plant a bomb up on the screen.  This won't put me in a weird position to grab the third UFO and takes care of the enemies.

If there are other things you want to discuss it would be appreciated. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:16:48 AM by Heartbeam »

Polttopallo

• /人◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 10:56:16 AM »
Reprise Marisa A

Easy  - 1,006,035,720  Replay

If you have read the comment, he says that the game crashes. I tried to watch the replay, but it crashed when he got 1 billion

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 11:44:36 AM »
Clearly the new challenge for score runners is to get as close as you can to 1,000,000,000 without going over.

Byakuren Barker is your host for The Score Is Right!

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 11:47:58 AM »
Clearly the new challenge for score runners is to get as close as you can to 1,000,000,000 without going over.

Good luck with Bullet Clear bonuses.

...yeah this needs to get fixed before I even start scorerunning at some point later. The system interests me a fair bit.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

sohvan

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 12:41:38 PM »
Seems like an annoying bug. I don't usually play for score myself, but I like watching scoring replays by crazy players. It's a bit surprising that no one thought to test this during beta testing.

Hawk

• Babababa~
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 02:00:49 PM »
By the way, as Sanae B do you have a nice method for filling up the blue UFO before stage five midboss Nazrin?  If not then you can check this replay to see a suggested path.

What could be fixed:
-change the UFO order so the summoned rainbow/flashing UFO spits out a color other than blue.  That way it'll change to the color later than is shown in the run.
-It's cut a bit close with the last two waves of spawning yin-yang orbs, and ideally Sanae will be moving straight down slowly to catch the wave from the right as well as the left with the frog splash damage.
-In a real run I'd rather plant a bomb up on the screen.  This won't put me in a weird position to grab the third UFO and takes care of the enemies.

If there are other things you want to discuss it would be appreciated.

Well, that's definitely better than what I was doing.  However, I would do one thing differently.  I would end with a green instead of a blue.  Considering the start of stage 6, it's just an extra 1000 point worth.  This of course could be avoided if you somehow go into stage 6 with a bomb.  For me that doesn't work, since I come out of stage 3 with one bomb (which would be used to kill midboss Nazrin's first noncard as shown in your replay).  I would have to die during one of Shou's noncards or something.

Also, in terms of other discussion...I've been following your scoreruns pretty closely, and I notice how in stage 1 you always get to boss Nazrin with 11,000 point worth instead of the possible 12,000.  Is there a reason for this?

Also, are you aware of any other "secret" UFOs (like the one at the beginning of stage 2)?

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 09:44:32 PM »

This is definately what ZUN meant to have happen.

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 10:43:34 PM »
Oh, wow, that's really disastrous. Added this to TouhouWiki, hopefully that'll raise some awareness and testing.

Even ZUN can't ignore a bug that disastrous. MAlice Cannon in IN was possibly intentional (or he knew about it but didn't think it was severe enough to remove). MarisaBugged in MoF...well, admittedly, he could have patched that, but it wasn't like that totally destroyed the game, it's far less trouble to avoid the bug than to intentionally use it.

But a bug that causes the entire game to crash? There's no way he'd ignore that.
...right? ;-;
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:47:24 PM by Serafie »

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 11:32:47 PM »
Oh, wow, that's really disastrous. Added this to TouhouWiki, hopefully that'll raise some awareness and testing.

Even ZUN can't ignore a bug that disastrous. MAlice Cannon in IN was possibly intentional (or he knew about it but didn't think it was severe enough to remove). MarisaBugged in MoF...well, admittedly, he could have patched that, but it wasn't like that totally destroyed the game, it's far less trouble to avoid the bug than to intentionally use it.

But a bug that causes the entire game to crash? There's no way he'd ignore that.
...right? ;-;
Actually, if I were ZUN I'd keep MarisaBugged in for balance-ish purposes, seeing as how MarisaB had no other redeeming factors.

As for bugs that causes the entire game to crash, UFO has to get in the patching line behind SA first.  And SA may take a while.

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 11:59:54 PM »
Maybe we should get someone who can write Japanese and notify ZUN about this before he gets bored of UFO and moves on to something else? Attaching a replay with this bug happening would be helpful too, I guess.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 12:01:57 AM »
SA has a crashing bug? News to me. What is it?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 12:10:13 AM »
Occasionally while trying to save replays the game will crash.  Without your replay.
Other people have reported it crashing for no special reason.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 12:15:50 AM »

...right? ;-;

there's also the "pop" sound in stage 4's music that ZUN said accidentally got into the recording. if he releases a patch(lol), that will probably be fixed too.

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 02:49:28 AM »
Occasionally while trying to save replays the game will crash.  Without your replay.
Other people have reported it crashing for no special reason.
That happens in PoFV too. I had a perfect Cirno Normal run a month ago and the game crashed before saving the replay :V
SA has occasionally crashed for me after doing any stage in Practice Mode.

there's also the "pop" sound in stage 4's music that ZUN said accidentally got into the recording. if he releases a patch(lol), that will probably be fixed too.
Is that what the pop sound is? I was wondering what that was.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 02:53:06 AM »
sorry, Hawk

also, apparently moozooh's been in touch with LYX, who apparently got in touch with ZUN about the bug, so at least he definitely knows about it

we may get a patch soon, who knows
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 06:54:38 AM »
Reprise Marisa A

Easy  - 1,006,035,720  Replay

If you have read the comment, he says that the game crashes. I tried to watch the replay, but it crashed when he got 1 billion
Is the game supposed to crash with a cute little error box at 1b, or just reset the score to 0 for a second before ending the replay?

Hawk

• Babababa~
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 08:48:51 AM »
sorry, Hawk

No biggie.

also, apparently moozooh's been in touch with LYX, who apparently got in touch with ZUN about the bug, so at least he definitely knows about it

we may get a patch soon, who knows

That's good news to me, at least.

Is the game supposed to crash with a cute little error box at 1b, or just reset the score to 0 for a second before ending the replay?

I got the second one, but, considering it's a crash, its actual effects are undefined.  It could be heavily dependant on the state of your RAM during/prior to playing the game, your hardware, or just about anything.

Heartbeam

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 10:08:24 AM »
Well, that's definitely better than what I was doing.  However, I would do one thing differently.  I would end with a green instead of a blue.  Considering the start of stage 6, it's just an extra 1000 point worth.  This of course could be avoided if you somehow go into stage 6 with a bomb.  For me that doesn't work, since I come out of stage 3 with one bomb (which would be used to kill midboss Nazrin's first noncard as shown in your replay).  I would have to die during one of Shou's noncards or something.

Also, in terms of other discussion...I've been following your scoreruns pretty closely, and I notice how in stage 1 you always get to boss Nazrin with 11,000 point worth instead of the possible 12,000.  Is there a reason for this?

Also, are you aware of any other "secret" UFOs (like the one at the beginning of stage 2)?

Here's the not-so-new untested plan that should be edited into the other post, but the old descriptions were terrible.

So the issue is the lack of point items by the time the blue UFO gets summoned, and does it outweigh the 1,000 gain from a small UFO?  Probably.  This time the first row of fairies will be taken out to feed the UFO and then we'll wait on the rest to move down.  It may be possible to place the bomb to go off when the seventh (sixth on the screen) row enters the screen, and it would be fine to sit on top of the fairy with the UFO for an immediate activation and a damaged UFO.  If not then hopefully the UFO from the fairy will move in the same direction everytime, and we can position ourselves accordingly to intercept it a moment later to prevent damage to the summoned one from the bomb, then shoot down the last fairy row.  If not then it's guessing character movements through the blinding explosion.

If this works it'll save the summoning of another UFO so the token from the flashing summon is covered for.  Still not happy about being unable to stuff the blue UFO with point items from half of the yin-yang orbs.

Other secret spots?  Not aware of any, and I'm sure you noticed the purple yin-yang orb before Nue in stage four doesn't drop any UFOs.  What could it be...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:18:04 AM by Heartbeam »

tmorrow

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 10:28:40 AM »
Somehow I find this UFO score bug objectionable than most of the other mentioned bugs. It kills off all desire to master the game and go for high scores. The game longevity is majorly compromised, the bug desperately needs fixing. I was particularly interested in seeing how high scores could get, juicing those score multipliers in the UFO system.

Scores exceeding 10^9 have been possible on all games since Perfect Cherry Blossom, so it's hard to understand what went wrong here. Let's hope for a quick fix.

Hawk

• Babababa~
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 12:16:36 PM »
Here's the not-so-new untested plan that should be edited into the other post, but the old descriptions were terrible.

So the issue is the lack of point items by the time the blue UFO gets summoned, and does it outweigh the 1,000 gain from a small UFO?  Probably.  This time the first row of fairies will be taken out to feed the UFO and then we'll wait on the rest to move down.  It may be possible to place the bomb to go off when the seventh (sixth on the screen) row enters the screen, and it would be fine to sit on top of the fairy with the UFO for an immediate activation and a damaged UFO.  If not then hopefully the UFO from the fairy will move in the same direction everytime, and we can position ourselves accordingly to intercept it a moment later to prevent damage to the summoned one from the bomb, then shoot down the last fairy row.  If not then it's guessing character movements through the blinding explosion.

If this works it'll save the summoning of another UFO so the token from the flashing summon is covered for.  Still not happy about being unable to stuff the blue UFO with point items from half of the yin-yang orbs.

I looked into it, and it looks like Blue is a better choice.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4434

So, suicide on Shou (or whatever; assume you have 2 bombs going into stage 6), use one bomb there, and another for the space invader fairies.  It would be nice to have a third for Nue, but it's entirely possible to catch the final blue without one.

Other secret spots?  Not aware of any, and I'm sure you noticed the purple yin-yang orb before Nue in stage four doesn't drop any UFOs.  What could it be...

Indeed.  I'm curious about setting a bomb off such that it hits at full power right when that one spawns.  I'm curious if the issue isn't that it's despawning immediately due to Nue appearing.

Currently working on a way to graze Murasa's non-cards.  I can usually get about 1000 graze by the end, but I'm only fairly confident in the first one.  The second one's not as worth it, and the third one's dangerous.  I'm also certain there's a way to graze Shou's non-cards.  I have a solid method for the first one--but I'm sure better can be done--and I have no idea how to do the other ones.  Shou's cards seem pretty grazable, but I don't know if it's worth it to lose the card bonus for a couple hundred grazes...

Okay, just got back from doing some intense investigation.  Here's how stage 6 looks:

Initial fairies: 25 point items (irrelevant, basically)
Yinyangs: 161 point items
Space Invaders: 420 point items, 60 per non-UFO-carrying fairy
Full Power Nue drop: 239 point items (no, it's not 240)

Ignoring the initial fairies, since no one's going to (well, no one can) blue UFO those anyway, this gives us 820 point items before Byakuren.  I'm ignoring blue fairies during Nue for simplicity.

Since all 820 of these point items can be blue'd, this means that any point worth gathered prior to the beginning of stage 6 is effectively worth:

820 items * 8.0 multiplier * X point worth = 6560 * X EP (Effective Points)

So this means that the 7000 pw gained on stage 1 nets us 45,920,000 EP from stage 6 alone (more, if you include the initial fairies, Nue's fairies, and Byakuren's drops).  Every PWUFO (point-worth UFO, or "pwoo-foah") is 6,560,000 EP, and that's not even including the stage 5 haul.

I'm not exactly sure of the placement for maximum supergraze on Shou's first card, but seems like a bit off-center gives the most.  You should be able to 3-bomb graze it for about 1500 (maybe more), giving you 9,840,000 EP, which is more than you could ever get for a bonus (it starts at 10,000,000).

tl;dr: GRAZE

Edit: Oh, right, almost forgot.  Interesting thing I found out.  The big F item Stage 6 Nue drops if you "capture" it gives 100 PW if you already have full power.  That's all well and good, but here's the weird thing: the big P item it drops if you don't "capture" gives 200 PW if you already have full power.  Sure as hell's not worth wasting a bomb over, but it's interesting nonetheless.  I assume the big P item Byakuren drops before Flying Fantastica works the same way.

Okay, round two for interesting stuff.

('b' refers to point items and 'r' refers to power items)

Stage 5:

Initial two big fairies: 40b, 40r
Next mass of garbage: 275b, 152r
Three big fairies: 60b, 60r
Red Yinyangs: 80r
Big fairy: 20b, 20r
Blue Yinyangs: 180b
Nazrin drop: 90b, 90r
Depending on how quickly you kill Nazrin, up to 6 pairs of big fairies will spawn.  The first 3 pairs will contain no UFOs, the 4th will both contain greens, the 5th will both contain reds, and the 6th will both contain blues.  All 12 of them hold 20b, 20r.
Now for the criss-cross fairies.  They all follow the same pattern.  Every "wave" comes with 12 fairies, and each fairy drops 4 items of its color (blue or red).  They come as follows:

Red wave from the right.
Blue wave from the left.
Red wave from the right.
Blue wave from the left.
Blue wave from the right.
Blue wave from the left.
Two blue waves from both sides simultaneously.

All these waves together produce 576b, 96r.

Finally, red yinyangs: 80r.

Assuming max big fairies after Nazrin, this comes to a grand total of 1481b, 778r.

As for how this helps us, that's a bit more complicated.  Unlike stage 6 where we can just assume everything will be blue'd (mostly).  Stage 5 is a bit more volatile currently.  I'm going to be basing this equation off of this replay.  I'm also only going to include things that come from UFOs.

Ignore the first wave.
The next mass gets entirely blue'd for 8 * 275.
Ignore the three big fairies.
The red yinyangs get flash'd for 4 * 80.
Ignore the big fairy (although it could be included in the flash for an extra 4 * 20).
The blue yinyangs get blue'd for 8 * 180.
Nazrin's drop and 3 of the pairs of big fairies get blue'd for 8 * 210.
The next 2 pairs of big fairies and the 2 red waves of criss-cross fairies get flash'd for 4 * 176 (optimally, though it doesn't happen in the replay).
Then you try to blue as much as possible.  That replay got 8 * 528, so I'll use that.

So our equation becomes:

(8 * 275) + (4 * 80) + (8 * 180) + (8 * 210) + (4 * 176) + (8 * 528) = 9984

So 9984 * x is the EP equation for stage 5.

If we combine stage 5's and stage 6's EPEs, we get 16544 * x.

So, for example, if I get 400 grazes on Murasa's non-cards, that should be worth 6,617,600 points later on.  Not bad.

Stage 4 should come soon.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 02:36:47 PM by Hawk »