Author Topic: Okuu Quest Thereafter - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 80091 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Okuu Quest Thereafter - A Z-Machine Adventure
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »

>You are Reiuji Utsuho, and the world is wrong.
>You are a resident of Gensokyo Isle, an isolated nation located in the Pacific Ocean, established some decades ago in the wake of WWII by the Japanese and American Governments. You live in a small, run down double with your roommate Orin. Your adoptive mother and landlady Satori lives in the other half of the house. You are twenty-one years old, and work as a repair woman for Kawashiro Heating and Air. All of this is wrong.
>You think of yourself as a generally well-meaning person. You have a somewhat poor memory, and keep a notepad with you at all times to assist with that. As such, your grades in school were mediocre, and were never able to pursue your dream of becoming a nuclear technician with Gensokyo Research Foundation. However, you've proven to have an aptitude with mechanical things, and have found yourself a comfortable niche repairing heating and air conditioning systems. You have an inordinate fondness for crows, and some of the neighbors have complained about your tendency to feed them. You enjoy video games, good music, good food and good times; like practically any normal person your age. You and Orin have managed to secure a comfortable living together, if somewhat spartan. You are keenly aware that the world is wrong.
>You awoke yesterday morning with a profound sense of alienation, and the conviction that everything you know is wrong. It frightened you like nothing you've ever experienced. For nearly an hour, you laid in bed, almost to tears from the absolute terror that you were losing your mind. But, you can't deny it. The world is wrong. What you know is wrong. You do not know how or know why, but you know it is wrong. And, you know that if you told this to anyone, they would think you are mad. Even the few you have shared it with have proven to be very skeptical. It has left you feeling like you are apart of the world, like you're some stranger who woke up on another planet. But, you have resolved not to take it laying down. You have vowed to find out how the world is wrong, and prove you are not going mad.
>You have spent the past three days traveling around the island, looking into things. Your memory is terrible and you really should write things down more often. You have discovered a robbery at the harbor, but have no leads on it. You have visited the shrines of the island seeking help, getting different kinds of advice from each; the Myouren Shrine suggesting you look within and look without to compare to what is within, the Moriya Shrine telling you to try to put it out of your mind, and the Forest Shrine telling you to follow your heart. You have befriended Maribel and Renko, paranormal investigators and detectives. You've made friends with a kindly gardener named Yukari. You've investigated rumors of a haunting at the Museum, inconclusively. You have helped your neighbor, Miss Heida, save her house from being accidentally condemned. You've tried to make arrangements for new sources of information from a pawnshop. You've made progress toward being accepted into the University and following your hitherto abandoned dream of becoming a nuclear physicist; you just need to prepare for the exam. You have had a role in getting your adopted sister possessed by a ghost, and having an awakening similar to yours. You have been unusually hungry the past couple days. You've managed to tour the Research Facility and learn of its hidden sections. You have begun a relationship with Parsee Mizuhashi, a conspiracy theorist you met in hopes of getting more information. You've explored the wilder parts of the island, and found it is full of flowers and home to something otherworldly called Stargazer. You have been possessed, in some sense, by the Stargazer as well as some spectral crow. You have made friends with Stargazer.
>Having gotten off work early, you are making your way toward Parsee's apartment.

>Continue to Parsee's

>You reach her apartment without any difficulties. Knocking on the door, you find she is a bit more slow to open it than usual. "Didn't expect you back so soon," she says. "Something happen?"

>_

Re: Okuu Quest Thereafter - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:15:48 PM »
>"Nah, work got out early, so I figured I'd head over here. I invited Orin along, so we could let her know what's going down tonight."
>"I think I also should practice getting Stargazer to do a couple of the things that she's going to have to pull off tonight. We really, really don't want her confused at a key moment."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:33:27 PM »
>"Nah, work got out early, so I figured I'd head over here. I invited Orin along, so we could let her know what's going down tonight."
>"I think I also should practice getting Stargazer to do a couple of the things that she's going to have to pull off tonight. We really, really don't want her confused at a key moment."

>"Ah, alright," says Parsee as she lets you in.
>"That's a pretty good idea, really," says Parsee. "Anything you need me to do?"

>_

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:43:43 PM »
>"Nah, not yet. I'll let you know when I do."
>"Ok, Stargazer. Later tonight, we're going to be investigating the wrongness in a place that could be very dangerous for us. We're going to need your help if we're going to pull this off."

>"First thing we need you to be able to do is retrieve a card from Yumemi's purse when she's not looking. You can still move objects while invisible, right? Like the screwdriver this morning?"

>Show her a photo ID of some sort that we have.
>"It'll look a little something like this. We need you to find it in her purse and bring it out."
>Put the card in our wallet, or whatever, and zip it up and put the wallet down somewhere
>"Can you try doing that now, here?"

>We can sense where Stargazer is, and what her attention is focused on. Can we use this to get a sense of which card in the wallet she's looking at? Could we possibly use it to help her identify the correct card from Yumemi's wallet, while she was looking around inside it?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 12:02:25 AM »
>"Nah, not yet. I'll let you know when I do."
>"Ok, Stargazer. Later tonight, we're going to be investigating the wrongness in a place that could be very dangerous for us. We're going to need your help if we're going to pull this off."

>"First thing we need you to be able to do is retrieve a card from Yumemi's purse when she's not looking. You can still move objects while invisible, right? Like the screwdriver this morning?"

>Show her a photo ID of some sort that we have.
>"It'll look a little something like this. We need you to find it in her purse and bring it out."
>Put the card in our wallet, or whatever, and zip it up and put the wallet down somewhere
>"Can you try doing that now, here?"

>We can sense where Stargazer is, and what her attention is focused on. Can we use this to get a sense of which card in the wallet she's looking at? Could we possibly use it to help her identify the correct card from Yumemi's wallet, while she was looking around inside it?

>Stargazer understands what you are asking, and sets to work. She doesn't seem to have much trouble opening up your wallet, though taking out the right card is a little trick for her. But she does so without major problems.
>You can kinda sense which one she's looking at, if you concentrate hard enough.

>_

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 12:21:02 AM »
>"Now, when you take out her card, you also need to close the purse and make everything else look as though it was never opened, ok?"
>"And then take it over and slip into my pocket. The point is that Yumemi cannot see any of this happen. Understand?"

>Are we any better at communicating non-verbally with Stargazer, now? Do we think we could signal that it's the proper time to do this without speaking?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:27:25 AM »
>"Now, when you take out her card, you also need to close the purse and make everything else look as though it was never opened, ok?"
>"And then take it over and slip into my pocket. The point is that Yumemi cannot see any of this happen. Understand?"

>Are we any better at communicating non-verbally with Stargazer, now? Do we think we could signal that it's the proper time to do this without speaking?

>She seems to understand all this well enough. You've seemed to impress the need for secrecy on her pretty well.
>You aren't sure, but you think you could do it.

>_

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:35:44 AM »
>"Ok, second task that we're going to need later tonight is this. We need to slip some things past a metal detector. Basically, it'll be this large metal archway. We have to walk through it, but if we're carrying certain objects when we do, the guards will take them from us. We need you to take the object out of Parsee's pocket, and move it around the archway, but not THROUGH it, and then put it back in her pocket when she's on the other side. The important part of this is that no one but us can see this happen. You'll have to do it when the guards are looking away. Do you think you can do this?"

>To Parsee: "I'm going to try to get her to sneak your stun gun into the facility. Can you show her what it looks like?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 12:50:14 AM »
>"Ok, second task that we're going to need later tonight is this. We need to slip some things past a metal detector. Basically, it'll be this large metal archway. We have to walk through it, but if we're carrying certain objects when we do, the guards will take them from us. We need you to take the object out of Parsee's pocket, and move it around the archway, but not THROUGH it, and then put it back in her pocket when she's on the other side. The important part of this is that no one but us can see this happen. You'll have to do it when the guards are looking away. Do you think you can do this?"

>To Parsee: "I'm going to try to get her to sneak your stun gun into the facility. Can you show her what it looks like?"

>She doesn't really understand what you're saying. She isn't sure what archways and the like are.
>"Oh, that's a good idea!" says Parsee, having seated herself at her computer. She digs into her purse and pulls it out after fiddling with something. "There, she shouldn't be able to switch it on now."

>_

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 12:56:33 AM »
>Gesture towards a doorframe
>"You see that? Now, imagine something shaped like that, but in the middle of a room and made of metal. People walk through it in the same way."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 01:08:19 AM »
>Gesture towards a doorframe
>"You see that? Now, imagine something shaped like that, but in the middle of a room and made of metal. People walk through it in the same way."

>She doesn't think she'll be able to take the stungun through the wall with her.

>_

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 01:12:07 AM »
>Facepalm
>"No, there won't be walls around this. Just the frame. So it'll be quite possible to get things around the sides of it, as long as the guards can't see it happen."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 01:25:21 AM »
>Facepalm
>"No, there won't be walls around this. Just the frame. So it'll be quite possible to get things around the sides of it, as long as the guards can't see it happen."

>She thinks she understands what you want her to do, but she thinks she'll need you to point it out when the time comes.

>_

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 01:30:19 AM »
>"Yes, I'll point it out when we get there, don't worry. And thanks."

>"How comfortable are you with lifting objects, now, anyway? How heavy a thing can you lift without struggling too much?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 01:41:46 AM »
>"Yes, I'll point it out when we get there, don't worry. And thanks."

>"How comfortable are you with lifting objects, now, anyway? How heavy a thing can you lift without struggling too much?"

>She doesn't really know, she hasn't trying to lift anything really heavy. It seemed disruptive. But she feels pretty confident about her abilities.

>_

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 01:51:11 AM »
>"Well, it might be nice to know. If your abilities are growing, we don't really know if they're now at a similar level to a human, or if they may even surpass them."
>Point out something in the room that seems fairly heavy, but not fragile, and ask Stargazer to try lifting it a little, just to see how heavy it feels

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 02:03:31 AM »
> Current time.
> "Stargazer seems to be understanding things easier now."

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 02:09:45 AM »
>"Well, it might be nice to know. If your abilities are growing, we don't really know if they're now at a similar level to a human, or if they may even surpass them."
>Point out something in the room that seems fairly heavy, but not fragile, and ask Stargazer to try lifting it a little, just to see how heavy it feels

>She isn't sure, either.
>You look around, and find a stand that's been recently cleaned off. She tries to lift it, and has no success. She feels she could do it, though, if she weren't trying to stay unseen.

> Current time.
> "Stargazer seems to be understanding things easier now."

>"Oh, neat," says Parsee. "Is she still worried about everyone not you?"

>_

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 02:23:44 AM »
>"Well, I don't know if I mentioned, but since Orin got possessed, she's perfectly comfortable around her, too. She can sense the difference. Of course, she still can't communicate with her any better than anyone else. Otherwise, I think she's pretty much as shy as ever."

>"And, Stargazer, I want to apologize if it just seems like I'm treating you as a tool or something. I've just been very focused on the problems in front of us, and every advantage I can get against them. I don't mean to be disrespectful. I hope you understand..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 02:35:47 AM »
>"Well, I don't know if I mentioned, but since Orin got possessed, she's perfectly comfortable around her, too. She can sense the difference. Of course, she still can't communicate with her any better than anyone else. Otherwise, I think she's pretty much as shy as ever."

>"And, Stargazer, I want to apologize if it just seems like I'm treating you as a tool or something. I've just been very focused on the problems in front of us, and every advantage I can get against them. I don't mean to be disrespectful. I hope you understand..."

>"Oh, so she still only talks with you?" says Parsee, "I suppose that's fine. But it getting just a little bit irritating to have someone in my house that won't even let me see her."
>She seems to understand. She's just happy to have something to do that would be useful.

>_

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 02:43:11 AM »
>"Yeah, I know where you're coming from. Although you have to know it's nothing personal. Of course, you could always go and find a ghost to possess you, too...."

>"Stargazer, are you sure you still don't feel comfortable being seen by Parsee? She's been helping us since shortly after all this started, and she's going to be putting her neck on the line this evening, for the sake of solving this, just as much as I am. I trust her."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 02:54:35 AM »
>"Yeah, I know where you're coming from. Although you have to know it's nothing personal. Of course, you could always go and find a ghost to possess you, too...."

>"Stargazer, are you sure you still don't feel comfortable being seen by Parsee? She's been helping us since shortly after all this started, and she's going to be putting her neck on the line this evening, for the sake of solving this, just as much as I am. I trust her."

>You ask her about Parsee. She considers it for a moment, then admits maybe she could. It's just that Parsee is kind of strange, and a little scary... But if it would help...

>_

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 03:02:14 AM »
>"I think she would appreciate it, anyway. She won't hurt you."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 03:12:08 AM »
>"I think she would appreciate it, anyway. She won't hurt you."

>She decides it must be alright. and quickly comes into sight.
>"Well hey there," says Parsee, giving a little wave from her spot. "You're bigger than your pictures lead me to think."

>_

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 03:21:11 AM »
>"Parsee says hi."
>"Keep in mind that she can't understand a word you or anyone else says, unfortunately. But, it's still a pretty big show of trust she's giving you."

>"So... I guess we just hang out until Orin gets here. I can't imagine she should be too much longer, at this point."
>Pass a little time

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 03:42:59 AM »
>Study until Orin gets here.
>Check time.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 03:48:37 AM »
> We can always study later
> Look deeply into Parsee's eyes
> Gently place our hand on her shoulder

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 03:51:56 AM »
>"Parsee says hi."
>"Keep in mind that she can't understand a word you or anyone else says, unfortunately. But, it's still a pretty big show of trust she's giving you."

>"So... I guess we just hang out until Orin gets here. I can't imagine she should be too much longer, at this point."
>Pass a little time

>Stargazer is happy to be greeted. She was a little worried Parsee might not react well.
>"Yeah, I guess. Not as big of as I showed letting her in here, though."

>Study until Orin gets here.
>Check time.
> We can always study later
> Look deeply into Parsee's eyes
> Gently place our hand on her shoulder

>You consider study. Then other things.
>You walk over to Parsee, looking into her eyes and put a hand on her shoulder.
>"Hmm?" she says, meeting your look.

>_

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 04:03:41 AM »
> VAS KAL AN MANI IN CORP HUR TYM
> "Parsee, since we have some time to kill..."
> Lean in slightly after we trail off.
> See if she seems to recoil in any way

Hello Purvis