Author Topic: Rune guardians 5 - Crawlers 0 GAME OVER  (Read 39925 times)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: Rune guardians 5 - Crawlers 0 GAME OVER
« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2009, 05:01:56 AM »
I'm a bit more satisfied with my playstyle this game than my last try as scum.  Unfortunately, I spent too much time obfuscating my own alignment and almost no time attempting to manipulate town away from my teammates.  Gotta work on that.

Kiro basically won the game for us with that delicious anti-Stuffman wallpost (that he slaved over, I might add), so I'd say scum MvP goes to him.

Town MvP by towniness goes to Rou, who I thought was the most obviously town of anyone playing.  However, Stuffman made some brilliant observations once he actually started scumhunting, so let's call it a tie.

Zakeri's play was fairly smooth as always.  I probably wouldn't have been able to peg you as scum this game.

Nietz, I don't know if you're doing it unconsciously or what, but you always seem to go after Kiro.  The reverse holds true for you, Kiro.  You're both good, but I could have predicted Nietz would target Kiro before the game even started.

Serp, you didn't get much of a chance to shine this game, but I NKed you for a damn good reason. :P

No comment on Xan and wrathie.  I'm pretty sure the only reason they sat in on this game was Crawl.

Like pesco, I'm also very surprised at the lack of anything from the peanut gallery gods.  That had me panicky - Kilga, UK, u?, god knows who else were reading the game as what amounted to unkillable townies without a vote.  I think if there had been more emphasis on their ability to provide ingame observations, this round would have turned out very differently.

Edit: Rou also gets the Unintentional Survivor Award™~
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 05:07:03 AM by Edible »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #241 on: June 10, 2009, 05:11:26 AM »
Unfortunately, I spent too much time obfuscating my own alignment and almost no time attempting to manipulate town away from my teammates.  Gotta work on that.

Actually, with three scum, I think it's a good thing you did this. If I had manged to lynch Kiro and Zakeri and found out there was a third scum afterward, I doubt I would've had an easy time figuring out it was you. Probably would've wound up lynching wrathie or something.

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #242 on: June 10, 2009, 05:44:33 AM »
So yeah... let's see.

My personal play was shitty. Yes, I completely got goaded by Nietz's vote on me. The exact same thing happened in WTC Mafia LYLO1 when FAV voted me. And that game was months ago and I do the exact same scummy thing again, pretty inexcusable on my part. The worst part is that after I overreacted, I should have dropped my case on Nietz and just take the hit to credibility. I was so set to be lynched this game even after we pulled off the Stuffman lynch or if we pulled off a Nietz or wrathie mislynch. The only way that was avoided was because we had 3 Scum and nobody else was expecting it.

I feel the actual pivotal events in this game was Stuffman's WIFOM at the very beginning and wrathie's eventual vote to him. In a quick comparison between Rou and Stuffman, Rou played the role in about as optimal a way as possible while Stuffman's initial approach wasn't a bad idea, but just wasn't executed properly. You weren't independently confirmable afterwards and we took advantage of it along with other things you did. Conveniently Edible was the only one out of the 3 of us who chose Serp over Rou to kill (I also suggested Stuffman early on which would have fallen for Stuff's trap) and actually sent the kill. That by itself gives Edible the Scum MVP.

I don't think wrathie is at fault for suspecting Stuffman after my post of agony. The problem was that he let his priorities slip. Everyone agreed one of myself or Nietz was Scum and since you guys all thought you had another mislynch opportunity, wrathie forgot that he should have resolved the dispute between myself and him first. Secondly, I also don't fault wrathie for being the Townie that contributed to the mislynch. He had reason to be suspicious of Stuffman (even if we nudged him along a little) and with no LYLO warning *coughunfaircough*, there was no reason to think anyone other than me would vote Stuffman and it would only go to L-1. A quickhammer on Stuffman with only 2 Scum in the game would have been absolutely suicidal. Finally, wrathie was the first one to go to Edible and also had a vote on me which counts for something. Like I said in the QT, good instincts. Still a bit easily swayed but I admire your ability to pick out Scum.

Rou played solid Town as he has been doing for a long time now. Maybe not as active as I've seen him before, but I'm not sure if he was just trying to keep his good image up and serve as kill bait. I definitely would have killed you sooner rather than later.

Nietz: I'm not actually sure what would have been the better option, if you had maintained your case on me like you did, or backed off earlier and let the argument stand. Obviously, I lost the 1v1 argument versus you and was the lynch target over you, but at the same time, after I realized it was too late for me to let it drop, I held you in place and limited your contributions elsewhere. Coincidentally, it saved me from having to do any sustained scumhunting on anyone else so Town had a harder read on me. Your first impression was obviously on the dot, rather painfully for me.

Stuffman got his main suspicions correct at the end even if he did clear Edible. He was the chief independent mover of my lynch and if I got the lynch, Zakeri would almost certainly have been next. I'm pretty sure that would have swayed Rou if we hadn't quickhammered to end the game.

Serpentarius: You're seriously dangerous, part of the reason I went on Nietz was because your comment about me also spooked me. I'd love to see how you play as Scum.

Xan, argh. :(

On one hand, Scum didn't deserve to win this game. On the other hand, I think my scumbuddies deserve a nod as they made all the right moves (Zakeri was on Stuffman first before I even considered him as a mislynch option) and said all the right things to get our team out of a jam. It wouldn't have won in a 7/2 setup, but this game was 6/3 and we were still on the edge of defeat. By seeing how they supported me, I learned that even as Scum backed into a corner, you should never give up because their misdirection was extremely helpful. I am amused at this concept of a No Man Left Behind Scum Team.

I think the setup is interesting, but clearly not balanced for 3 Scum out of 9 players. A 10 player 7/3 setup seems more optimal as Pesco is mentioning to me at the moment.

And I'll never stop typing walls. Never.

Edit by Edible: Ah yea, the Gods. It was pretty obvious that the Gods were there for their scumhunting. I so wanted to suggest that the gods be more active to help scumhunt except it would have obviously been more detrimental to us as Scum. I had assumed that only Crawlers got Gods, but even though that was incorrect, the pro-Town gods would obviously outnumber the pro-Scum gods and with any Town flips, their corresponding God could have also revealed themselves and their viewpoints could also have been considered. Although I think it would have been hilarious if a Scum God counterclaimed this in some way. Just imagine that, a bickering in the game amongst non-players!

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #243 on: June 10, 2009, 11:24:51 AM »
I didn't say much partly because I wasn't around to read much and partly because the gods were not told their worshippers' alignments (and I couldn't read wrathie's).  The only person I had suspicion of was Kiro so yeah.

The idea about the gods was what I'll take home from this setup.  With some modification, it may be interesting for a future game.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #244 on: June 10, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »
Nietz was never in any real danger of getting lynched (from what I saw) so I never bothered to say anything. >_>
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #245 on: June 10, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Hmm, didn't really follow the game properly.  I think scum, especially Edible, played well.  Kiro had the feeliing of being too contrived, but other than that good.

And I agree with the unfair setup and should have saw this quite some time ago.  I think it would be better if scum could only kill once every 24 hours with no limit to number of kills.  Also, rules have to be made clear to the players in question; so as to not let people prepare for the wrong setup (e.g Stuffman).  Other than that, pesco introduces another way of playing Mafia (like last time, so that's interesting).

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #246 on: June 10, 2009, 03:25:13 PM »
Less napalm than I was expecting. It's all good :D.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #247 on: June 10, 2009, 04:45:24 PM »
Less napalm than I was expecting. It's all good :D.
*artificially raises your Reputation stat so it's closer to mine*

« Reply #248 on: June 10, 2009, 10:55:21 PM »
Alright. First of all, I feel weird about the win. On one hand, the three of us deserved to live as long as we did without a single death. One the other hand, the game didn't deserve to be over with so quickly. I definitely feel that if there was enough of a window for the game to have continued after it ended, Kiro and I would have been caught immediately. Especially since I never got around to my reread of Kiro Vs. Neitz, which I am so glad I didn't have to do @_@; I really meant it when I just looked at it and the words flew out of my head the moment I saw them.

Wrathie played pretty badly day one, but actually doesn't deserve the honorary scum award. I mean it, while being a perfectly good day one mislynch, we sort of lost that opportunity after day one. Although, that did wind up being better for us that for town.

Also, Thank you Rou. I'm giving you Townie MVP For being one of the only two townies who didn't screw up horribly. Unfortunately, for you, he decided to hit the other one instead. But still, when I was telling Stuffman the right and wrong way to play out a Bulletproof townie, your play this game was what I was talking about when I described the right way.

About the setup, true to Crawl expectation, this game was impossibly hard because of Random Deaths. We were only given three kills to last the whole game, so after the 60 minute mark, if we randomized the kills after mislynching townie, we would either have hit one, two, or no BPs, resulting in anywhere between one death, which would leave us defenseless, or with three deaths, which would have ended the game much with the same results.

I was also worried that the gods could prevent NKs, since when Kiro asked what was stopping us from Bum Rushing the town after a mislynch, Pesco said "Divine Intervention" :V

Edible was nearly undetectable. Kiro on the other hand, I thought was being too wordy. I wanted to tell him to tone it down, but if I had actually cared to read and analyze things, I probably would have figured out specifically what it was that made him scummy. It didn't help that he Walled on Command because of a pressure vote.

Speaking of walls, I need to figure out how to sound less conversationally when I post in these games.

Also, I think I almost Alice'd this game.