Author Topic: Himelander Mafia Thread (Over! Scum Win!)  (Read 71690 times)

Kitten4u

• Ochophobic
  • Too cute to kill
Re: Himelander Mafia Thread (Over! Scum Win!)
« Reply #810 on: February 26, 2010, 07:18:21 PM »
Oh wow, I knew claiming was a bone-headed move on my part, but I didn't realize just how bad it was.  I'm surprised no one called me out for not answering Bard's question on what would happen if I hammered.  I was worried that if the town ever asked me to hammer a scum buddy I'd be outed because I didn't get an additional charge when I hammered scum.  So, I didn't answer so I would have more time to come up with a BS reason for that if it ever came up.  I was going "oh god" when I saw Jam's role.  I'm so very glad I didn't get counter claimed because my ability basically let me coast through the whole game.

People are underestimating just how scary Alex was to the scum team.  We were seriously considering vigging him over Cid for a while.  When people started attacking him I was able to breathe a hugh sigh of relief.

As for balace, I think the game was pretty balanced.  We pretty much did this on a regular basis: we're screwed.  Oh wait, we can still win.  Nope, definitely screwed.  Oh hey, we can win if we do this.  Fuck we just messed up we're all dead...Did we just win?  Yeah, it was pretty funny acctually. :P

As for me, I'm not sure how much of my lurking was a result of me being scum, me being busy or me just not feeling like playing.  Regardless, I'll be taking a break from Mafia for a little bit.  I really need it.

Good game everyone.
My favorite mythical creature? The honest politician.
A life cool.. where can I download one of those?
Hurray for apathy!

DA|Tumblr

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #811 on: February 26, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »
Still co modding/reviewing for me, right K4? Us Kittens will show these people how a game is run! :P

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #812 on: February 26, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »
/r/ UKxK4U kthnx

Kitten4u

• Ochophobic
  • Too cute to kill
« Reply #813 on: February 26, 2010, 07:22:53 PM »
Still co modding/reviewing for me, right K4? Us Kittens will show these people how a game is run! :P

Of course.
My favorite mythical creature? The honest politician.
A life cool.. where can I download one of those?
Hurray for apathy!

DA|Tumblr

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #814 on: February 26, 2010, 07:23:43 PM »
k. Course, we both cover the same hours but you can basically assist me on Wednesdays and Sundays and such.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #815 on: February 26, 2010, 07:33:43 PM »
I don't understand why people are arguing over MVP. Remember, in the end Mafia is a team game - one good Townie does not a good Town make.

In this case I was arguing it because I wanted to make sure I pointed out good play in a game that provided some pretty good examples of bad play. Read the first bullet point here again. I don't want to ostracize, I want to fix. (This can be considered a response to Pesco addressing me as well.) I want to make this site's version of this game better on the whole. In retrospect, what I should have done in the first place was ask Chaore who he thought deserved it over Alex, because that would have given me something more to work with to better people's gameplay (unless his choice was/is Kefit, who I think did fine as well).
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #816 on: February 26, 2010, 07:37:34 PM »
Kefit didn't do as much. That's the only reason I don't suggest him over Alex. Honestly, I don't think anyone (town) played particularly WELL, I just think some players sucked LESS. But, that's just my take.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #817 on: February 26, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »
Again, it's an environmental thing. No one in this game is Superman, we're all bounded by what's going on around us. Kefit may have been wrong a lot as an individual, but I think he did fairly well as a team player. Posts founded in logic, not contributing to chaff, didn't give very many people reason to suspect him (I think you were the only one that had him on a scum list).

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #818 on: February 26, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
I had Kefit in my death list.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #819 on: February 26, 2010, 07:48:37 PM »
Again, it's an environmental thing. No one in this game is Superman, we're all bounded by what's going on around us. Kefit may have been wrong a lot as an individual, but I think he did fairly well as a team player. Posts founded in logic, not contributing to chaff, didn't give very many people reason to suspect him (I think you were the only one that had him on a scum list).

And even that was circumstantial and he was my least certain pick. Nah, mainly I just think he didn't contribute a lot. What he did contribute was decent, though I still think his Serp case was dubious.

Kefit

• The Wild Draw Four of America
« Reply #820 on: February 26, 2010, 08:45:20 PM »
Mafia's simply not a game where you gaily join hands and saunter off into a happy ending. It's a game based on paranoia, suspicion and deceit. The thrill of deceiving or the satisfaction of bringing deceit to light is what makes Mafia a fun game for most people, but it does tend to make people knock heads whenever they feel the other party is being, to put it nicely, "a little bit disagreeing".

As soon as this game ended, Alice and I laughed with each other for a while about how everything went down. This is just a game folks. We should be able to join hands and saunter into the happy sunset afterward. There is room in this game for vigorous prosecution of suspicions, but such attacks shouldn't be personal or be taken personally.

This game started out bad for scum, but then town imploded on itself with multiple suicides and a complete lack of sanity from any players aside from myself, Alex, and maybe Cid. It also didn't help that I was too busy to really participate during the last two days except for the end of day six.

Near the end I was pretty certain that one of Alex or Alice was scum. Alex scum was not as implausible as the scum seemed to have thought, and Alice's play in the early game was downright terrible. That the three of us were now all on the same wavelength seemed unbelievable in light of the fact that all three of us working together hadn't caught a scum in days. I was going to push hard for Alice vs Alex on D7, but I made the mistake of thinking we had another day until LyLo. Double vig for scum came completely out of the blue, fuck, I've never even played in a game where scum have single vig.

Kudos to Alice for his play in the last couple of days. He deserves this win for that alone. Alex and I may have played good sane and level-headed townies, but Alice managed to make some of the best town posts in the game as scum. k4u also did a fine job of staying out of the spotlight without being so lurktastic as to draw attention to herself (i.e. Jam).

On a final note, paranoia and hesitation lead to town downfall. UK's paranoia near the near the end of this game is a great example of how distracting and ultimately useless paranoia generally is. Here's the thing about paranoia - you might be right a small percentage of the time, but by succumbing to it you fail almost every time regardless of the underlying facts due to the devastating effect it has on the social sphere of the game. Hesitation, on the other hand, allows scum to make challenges and still look townie, or results in a waste of special powers.

Anyway, this was fun. I might even play in the next one.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:03:10 PM by Kefit »

Kefit

« Reply #821 on: February 26, 2010, 09:02:11 PM »
Also, I don't care if you guys are town or scum, but please for the love of god follow a few simple steps for making better posts:

1) When you quote, don't just make a quote without a name tag. I don't care if you are quoting the post immediately previous to your own. Every single quote you make should be labeled with the name tag of the speaker. Ideally, the quote tag should also employ the link functionality so that the reader may go straight to the post being quoted if he so wishes.

2) Less is more. Shotgun attacks on people (whether criticizing gameplay over the course of an entire game or picking apart a post sentence by sentence) only function to diminish the impact of each individual point that you make and ultimately confuse the reader. Pick a small number of your best points and weave them into a coherent argument.

If you follow these steps, people might actually bother to read your posts. God knows I just skipped over a lot of walls of unlabeled quote blocks this game. And if they bother to read your posts, they might understand your argument. And if they understand your argument, they might even agree to pursue your favored plan of action. If someone states that they don't understand your argument, then the onus is on yourself to rewrite it in a more comprehensible manner.

Yes I am speaking to a few specific players here - Bard, UK - but most players of this game who aren't me, Alex, Alice, or maybe Kilga would benefit from a boost to their persuasive writing skills.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #822 on: February 26, 2010, 09:04:27 PM »
Anyway, this was fun. I might even play in the next one.

SUCCESS

Kefit

« Reply #823 on: February 26, 2010, 09:14:15 PM »
I hate you so much.

btw this game was Tass vs Chardish on drugs to the very end.

« Reply #824 on: February 26, 2010, 09:43:44 PM »
Cid: How come you went public with your roleclaim? Like I mentioned midgame, you could have just hidden in the background, get the Day 3 kill on Ciato (which I missed, otherwise, I'd have had 2 nukes early), and then do a Cop check with no one aware at all.

Because town was so goddamn paranoid that anyone actively seeking challenges was automatically scummy that I figured coming out and giving them the reason why I wanted to was the only way I'd be able to make the role work.

I also considered every possibility that might screw with the role except for scum dayvig. Man, that came out of nowhere. I laughed my ass off on seeing it--it was actually somewhat of a relief to be killed by that point.

Rather mystified at the townie reads people were giving me, I have to admit. Even before the copclaim. Thought I was playing pretty assy--just had way too much else going on outside the game to keep up and add more than vague general observations.

« Reply #825 on: February 26, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »
Also seconding the "for the love of god stop WoTing" advice forwarded by several people here. Just made the topic painful for me to read at points. Those zebra-stripe quote block snippets? Don't do that. It's alright if you have a lot to say, but make every possible effort to be concise.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #826 on: February 26, 2010, 09:47:41 PM »
Quote from: Kefit

If you follow these steps, people might actually bother to read your posts. God knows I just skipped over a lot of walls of unlabeled quote blocks this game. And if they bother to read your posts, they might understand your argument. And if they understand your argument, they might even agree to pursue your favored plan of action. If someone states that they don't understand your argument, then the onus is on yourself to rewrite it in a more comprehensible manner.

So, was I getting close with my final wall on Alex? I mean, the one that basically stated each "scumtell" with a list of linked examples? Of course, I could have probably trimmed that down a little even, but yeah.

EvilTom

• Reimu is always welcome on /d/
« Reply #827 on: February 27, 2010, 01:46:19 AM »
Oh god yes please. I don't even read walls. I just skip them.
Be concise please.

Also to those who thought the game was unbalanced in scum's favour - you're forgetting that we kinda lacked our nightkill. Y'know, the thing that lets us kill townies.

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #828 on: February 27, 2010, 03:36:01 AM »
Also to those who thought the game was unbalanced in scum's favour - you're forgetting that we kinda lacked our nightkill. Y'know, the thing that lets us kill townies.

That was pretty much my impression as well. I'm the only killer Scum has and it was by pure dumb luck I got into enough trouble to be put into a fight right at figurative LYLO with a chance to win it all. If I lost yesterday, Scum was in deep trouble and at best was probably only going to manage a draw. I guess I'm conflicted on whether the scum vig should have been able to earn extra shots, because at some point, it was beneficial for Town to go the Super Townie route (like a hypothetical Day 7 where I had lost) and it would have secured Town's victory with them only getting 3.99 heads in a majority if they weren't eliminated first. Scum would have tried to dissent in some way, but it could very well have worked for Town. Game was make or break on one Day and the lack of LYLO warning probably made the difference in our favor. So I'd probably fault that the most.