Author Topic: 東方 神霊廟 ~ Touhou Ten Desires [TRIAL], an article full of desires and SPOILERS!  (Read 275425 times)

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
I noticed that some of the posts had a new yukkuri. I think it's supposed to be Kyouko.

<snip>

The other one is Yoshika, but the text alignment looked screwed up over here :< (telltale: her amulet isn't straight)

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
I noticed that some of the posts had a new yukkuri. I think it's supposed to be Kyouko.

<yukkuri>
Sure looks like her, all right.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
Barely got a chance to play it. I don't know if I'm the only one but I find Youmu to be incredibly annoying... I'd rather use Sanae~

I almost cried tears of joy when I saw Yuyuko as the first stage boss. Secretly, I was hoping it was going to be Yukari... I really like the second stage boss and her unique gimmick. Kogasa wasn't a big surprise, to be honest. Ever since ZUN announced TD, I have been shouting everywhere that she would be making a return :P.
Third stage boss is like the new Orin or something. Both are equally annoying. ;-;

Reimu: Hm? Ah, yes, I believe you're...
Kogasa: You finally came!
Kogasa: I saw this girl I've never seen before keeping watch.
Kogasa: But as much as I hit her, she always made me time out...
Kogasa: So hey, do something about her! Pleeease!
Reimu: (A youkai making a request of a youkai exterminator...?)
Reimu: Gotcha. And I'll beat you up, too!
-Kogasa breaking the fourth wall
-Hint Hint.
Spoiler:
She has the potential to become a playable character.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I would actually love to see Mima come back. I don't know a single thing about her and I hate most Mima-fanboys, yet if she were to make a comeback it would probably make everything more exciting. Just saying.~
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:38:57 AM by Paper_Kogasa »

I just realized this game has Yuyuko and a character WITH THE POWER TO EAT ANYTHING

HEAVEN OR HELL

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
I just realized this game has Yuyuko and a character WITH THE POWER TO EAT ANYTHING

HEAVEN OR HELL

inb4 Yoshika goes after Yuyuko and Youmu's Myon since she eats spirits :V

:V :V oh damn that'll be so amusing.

Also, I looked at Yoshika's artwork and
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/File:Th13Yoshika.png

OH GOD THOSE HANDS, THEY'VE NEVER BEEN SO PERFECT OMG ZUN HOLY HELL DID YOU GO TO HAND-DRAWING SCHOOL?

Iliq

• Something
  • And something else
Yoshiko having difficulty with moving would make it difficult to dodge danmaku well, wouldn't it?

Also,
Spoiler:
I wonder if Yoshikkuri eats other yukkuris. Which would disturbing...

eeeedit:
inb4 Yoshika goes after Yuyuko and Youmu's Myon since she eats spirits :V

:V :V oh damn that'll be so amusing.

Also, I looked at Yoshika's artwork and
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/File:Th13Yoshika.png

OH GOD THOSE HANDS, THEY'VE NEVER BEEN SO PERFECT OMG ZUN HOLY HELL DID YOU GO TO HAND-DRAWING SCHOOL?

I KNEW SOMETHING LOOKED WEIRD

BUT HOLY SHIT THAT IS AWESOME

everfeather

• Patron saint of ferrets
And that is ZUN's challenge for all of us.  In her dialog and omake, Kogasa wanted you to beat her because she could never beat Yoshika because of the time out.

After trying 10D, it will be a feat if someone can actually capture the last spell card of Yoshika.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_g8DwglPAA

you have to read ahead on the red waves, and get ready to jump into the ring of fire and eat the spirits before she does.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
When I first saw Yoshika I honestly thought it was Aya being a fucking retard with a police outfit.

Welcome to 2009 (?).

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.

_,,. -―‐- 、_ 
       ,r::-::7?        `ヽ-::.、
    ,.イ:::::::::::/          ⌒ヽ::\
   彡:::::::::::;ノ     iヘ、 i      ',:::::;ミ
    `゙Y厂   人__,.リノ }、ノ、__,ハ   j??
    ,.ノ  , ' (  (ヒ_]     ヒ_ン、レハノ
    /   ,i ,.イ、'"   ,___,  "'i,イ{_
   ,{  ,.イ,ノ ハ    ヽ _ン  人  `ヽ
   ゙Y?゙ヘ_,.イルヘ>,、 _____ ,.イ`ヽrイノ

I think this is the first time yukkuri ASCII art made me laugh out loud.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
Yoshi's hat reminds me of Meiling's. Which is funny since Meiling is the only character to mention a jiang-shi.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_g8DwglPAA

you have to read ahead on the red waves, and get ready to jump into the ring of fire and eat the spirits before she does.

Also, on hard, those lasers split and curve so you gotta REALLY get in (Actually, that's good for survival too, so you get past the lasers before they start to OH GOD CURVING LASERS AGAIN ARRGHGHGHGH)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Okay, so I decided to break my usual tradition of ignoring the demo for a few weeks (and then playing it religiously, especially once the full game comes out), and my first impressions are... not that great, to be honest. For some reason, Youmu's bomb doesn't work at all, and all the bugs throughout leave a sour taste in my mouth. This adds to the usual frustration of not being able to figure out how in the hell everything is supposed to work (especially when I die-- still have no idea what the fuck is going on).

After I figure it out, though, I'll probably adore it, so it's no big deal.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
When I first saw Yoshika I honestly thought it was Aya being a fucking retard with a police outfit.
I'm glad I'm not alone. When she popped up she didn't strike me as a new character at first. :derp:

Also Kogasa has always played with the fourth wall, I don't think that means much :V
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*

CK Crash

• boozer
ZUN's new Yuyuko art is really really nice.

Alfred F. Jones

Bugs?
Well, for me, Youmu's bomb just refuses to work. And then I managed to confirm for myself that if you linger on the stage 2 boss' pre-fight dialogue, you can bring down the timer on her first non-spell attack and even skip it entirely. It seems uncharacteristically unpolished for ZUN.

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
As one who entered the Touhou fandom right around the time of UFO's release, this is really my first time anticipating a new game.

Firstly, my conclusion: it sucks.

This makes me extremely uncomfortable, given that I can't tell whether it actually genuinely truly sucks, or whether I'm experiencing a kneejerk "It's different, therefore horrible" reaction. However, after mulling it over a while, I've been able to articulate several clear points that capture my displeasure, and in so doing, appreciate the elements that are in fact quite promising.

First point: Spirits. Where do they spawn? Why, above the PoC, naturally. Do they move? Hell no. So, go up and get 'em! *enemy spawns on top of me* WtH, ZUN? That's just mean! They have got to be easier to collect. Don't care if they drift slowly downscreen, or have something similar to SA's graze meter or whatever, but dammit, do something with them! At least UFOs came down to you, instead of making you chase them. (o wait :V)

Second point: Yuyuko. Why, ZUN, why do you do this? Touhou is Touhou because it has a zillion and one new characters in every game! Recycling is something you don't do! That said, I did just about have an orgasm when I tried hard and Yuyu pulled her fan out, so meh. Kogasa doesn't seem to bother me as much, especially when you consider my natural prejudice against stage 2 bosses; that may just because I was already raged out by the time I reached her, though.

Third point: The lifebarscircles. They were okay in GFW 'cuz once you launched your freeze, you had time to make a sandwich, read a newspaper, check the boss's life, whatever, and then back to dodging. Here? If I have half a second between waves, it's much, much easier to flick my eyes at the top of the screen than it is to locate the boss and track the circle looking for the end of the line. And that's if it isn't being blocked by bullets.

And that's my piece. Now for some more level-headed commentary:

Characters. Kyouko is cute enough to overcome my stage-2 bias, and her gimmick is pretty neat, but I feel like there's a lot of wasted potential in it. Especially her Resonance spellcard. The waves are surprisingly weak, given that most of the bullets get recycled in the next box, and you get a year-long break in between them. Maybe something to work on in Danmakufu, eh?

Yoshika  is... forgettable. However, I do like the idea of healing yourself during spellcards; figuring out how to get in close and collect those spirits as she's drawing them in is probably the most fun part of the demo for me. I dearly hope that later bosses in the game have similar spellcards, but if it happens to be Yoshika's gimmick in particular, then, well, good on her.

Shottypes. Homing!Reimu sucks as usual, Marisa and Sanae feel pretty solid. Youmu is the obligatory "awkward focus" type which ZUN seems fond of, but is pretty strong to compen-HOLY SHIT, IT'S MOF MARI-A ALL OVER AGAIN! Overall, a decent selection (if disappointingly small).

Music. I'm no afficianado in this regard, but it seems like it's expanding on the elements of UFO's score that I didn't like. Maybe the instrumentation or something, I don't even know. I'll wait for the remixes before passing judgment.

All in all, it's quite unpolished (Have all his demos been like this?), but it's got some potential. Just as long as he doesn't bring back any more old characters. ('cept maybe Mim-*shot*

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Well, for me, Youmu's bomb just refuses to work. And then I managed to confirm for myself that if you linger on the stage 2 boss' pre-fight dialogue, you can bring down the timer on her first non-spell attack and even skip it entirely. It seems uncharacteristically unpolished for ZUN.

Youmu's bomb has been working fine for me, but I've been seeing other people bring up issues with Stage 3 replays crashing, as one example. One of those things where he has yet to fine tune it for most systems.

Third point: The lifebarscircles. They were okay in GFW 'cuz once you launched your freeze, you had time to make a sandwich, read a newspaper, check the boss's life, whatever, and then back to dodging. Here? If I have half a second between waves, it's much, much easier to flick my eyes at the top of the screen than it is to locate the boss and track the circle looking for the end of the line. And that's if it isn't being blocked by bullets.

The spirits at least aren't flying around through a cloud of bullets that you have to chase in motion, I can see the minor complaint about bringing Yuyuko back, but this seems weird to me. Do you mean to say it takes you less time to move your eyes between your sprite and the top of the screen than your sprite and the boss? Seems the opposite would be the case, but to each their own, I guess.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
Recycling is something you don't do!
I find it funny, despite being somewhat annoying, whenever someone says this.
Lolwut every game recycles a few characters and introduces a few others. It's nothing new, it's the way it's always been.
And I found the circle lifebar great. No need to search for the top of the screen and lose the enemy's position anymore woo!

On the spirits, it seems to me that you're just complaining that the game is hard. Which is funny, because everyone found it easy. Even me, and I suck. :s
                                                                                   .

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
It's a demo, it's not supposed to be super-polished.

Don't write off the game until you have a better understanding of the mechanics, although if it turns out to be a "suicide to score/get stuff" game, that might turn off a few people anyway.

Alfred F. Jones

All in all, it's quite unpolished (Have all his demos been like this?), but it's got some potential.
The bugs were there when you looked. Most recent games... SA demo had you being able to completely disappear from the screen by hiding in either one of the bottom corners and Yuugi's final card being nightmarish, and UFO demo had.... actually, I don't remember what the UFO demo had (except for Lunatic players whining about how it was too hard or something). PCB demo, on the other hand, I recall as being pretty nice.

Argh, that bug where you can't speed up dialogue seems to have hit me in full force. ;w;

Youmu's bomb has been working fine for me, but I've been seeing other people bring up issues with Stage 3 replays crashing, as one example. One of those things where he has yet to fine tune it for most systems.
And it's annoying, too, since I saw you post that Youmu's bomb is actually pretty neat. Also, it seems that Reimu's bomb isn't working for me either. So far, the only one whose bomb has worked for me is Sanae's, and I haven't tried Marisa's yet, since I'm dragging my heels through Reimu's dialogue first.

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
Do you mean to say it takes you less time to move your eyes between your sprite and the top of the screen than your sprite and the boss? Seems the opposite would be the case, but to each their own, I guess.

Yes. The distance factor isn't an issue, and the bar at the top of the screen doesn't move around, so I don't have to spend time locating it.

I've only played the demo with Reimu so far, I'll probably try the other characters as I get time later on in the month. I'm kind of disappointed that there's only one shot type per character, but since we're up to four characters something had to go.

I haven't experienced any of the bugs so far, but the fact they seem so plentiful in this release suggest that ZUN might have rushed the development on this.

I like the spirit system so far; it feels like it's taken the concept of collecting UFOs and refined it to flow more naturally with the rest of the gameplay. Not sure what to make of the "death-and-resurrection" phase; it's a neat concept, but it takes a lot of getting used to.

I don't mind the reuse of Yuyuko; it fits in with the plot and only introducing two new characters helps to ratchet up the tension for who's going to appear in the full game. Kogasa was... unexpected but welcome; I think she's a good source of metahumor for the series, although she should probably get a break for a while before she becomes overused.

Hopefully all the bugs get ironed out for the full release, this has a lot of potential.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
The bugs were there when you looked. Most recent games... SA demo had you being able to completely disappear from the screen by hiding in either one of the bottom corners and Yuugi's final card being nightmarish, and UFO demo had.... actually, I don't remember what the UFO demo had (except for Lunatic players whining about how it was too hard or something). PCB demo, on the other hand, I recall as being pretty nice.

Actually, the UFO demo was virtually unchanged; people were just whining. :V And the PCB demo was really, uh, weird. The entire system changed from demo to full release. I'd say that one was much less polished than this game.

Argh, that bug where you can't speed up dialogue seems to have hit me in full force. ;w;
And it's annoying, too, since I saw you post that Youmu's bomb is actually pretty neat. Also, it seems that Reimu's bomb isn't working for me either. So far, the only one whose bomb has worked for me is Sanae's, and I haven't tried Marisa's yet, since I'm dragging my heels through Reimu's dialogue first.

Ah, as for that, you have to exit and reopen the game and the bombs will be fixed. Annoying, but not hard to fix.

As for my feelings, I accidentally posted them in that dyna-Marisa thread by accident. :fail: Overall, I like it, though I can't say I'm thrilled with death bombs being canceled in favor of the death trances. Makes me a lot more jumpy with my bombs.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
Kogasa was... unexpected
keikaku doori

Oh yeah, and don't forget we still have more characters to show up, guys.
                                                                                   .

Alfred F. Jones

And the PCB demo was really, uh, weird. The entire system changed from demo to full release. I'd say that one was much less polished than this game.
You must have played a pretty different demo than I did! BV Then again, I wasn't caring too much about things like the cherry system, so I probably just overlooked it. It certainly wasn't as buggy as shit as this demo is, though.

Ah, as for that, you have to exit and reopen the game and the bombs will be fixed. Annoying, but not hard to fix.
What? Agh. Well, might as well do just that. Then I might stop dying so much. :V

You must have played a pretty different demo than I did! BV
I'm pretty sure PCB actually had two demos or something like that, that's why the copyright says 2002-2003 on the title

Alfred F. Jones

Agh these new lifebars are so freaking annoying. They'll take some getting used to. I'm so used to just looking to the top of the screen to an unmoving lifebar as opposed to having to follow a boss around on screen.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
Uh, I thought you were supposed to follow the boss anyway because you're supposed to be shooting it to begin with :V
                                                                                   .