Author Topic: Thought on threads in Rika's Garage.  (Read 5310 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Thought on threads in Rika's Garage.
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:01:01 AM »
Ok so lately I have been seeing a bit more threads apearing on Rika's garage. Mainly people who announce the have an idea for a game and thus starting a thread.

As exciting as it looks like, receiving more activity on this forum section, it is not what it seems. Because:
60% of the threads never get executed. They are like ideas on paper with 0 potential in actually getting developed because the "creator" has no skills.

I would like to have your thoughts on this incident. How should I exactly handle these threads. One of the approaches I was thinking was: asking the creator whether he is serious (as in developing) or he is not. In case of not, locking the thread or possible moving/removing?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Thought on threads in Rika's Garage.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 08:02:13 AM »
You could start asking for work samples.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »
I would only allow people to post project threads when they have something tangible on their project.  If there's no proof of concept or actual code or anything in the OP indicating something's been done, lock on the spot.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:42:49 AM by Yagami Hayate »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »
You only need the workspace if you're making stuff. Ideas that aren't going anywhere stay on the drawing board.

If they've got actual progress to show for it, go to Rika's. Project ideas stay in the projects board.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:21:02 PM »
You only need the workspace if you're making stuff. Ideas that aren't going anywhere stay on the drawing board.

If they've got actual progress to show for it, go to Rika's. Project ideas stay in the projects board.

There is no projects board, that's the problem.  Maybe just have a sticky for "have an idea? share it here!" and collect all the junk threads into that.  Some ideas are worth sharing, but obviously unless there's actual work completed I don't think it deserves its own thread.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Matsuri

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 02:20:34 PM »
There is no projects board, that's the problem.  Maybe just have a sticky for "have an idea? share it here!" and collect all the junk threads into that.  Some ideas are worth sharing, but obviously unless there's actual work completed I don't think it deserves its own thread.

Exactly what I had in mind. Restrict project threads, and make a collective idea thread. When someone can show you that they've got some work done, allow them to have a thread. Kill all unauthorized project threads.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 02:53:44 PM »
I kinda implied to stick the half-assed stuff here

Matsuri

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:58:57 PM »
One thread of half-assed ideas would be a hell of a lot easier to manage than a whole forum of half-assed ideas, though... wouldn't it?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 03:25:45 PM »
I kinda implied to stick the half-assed stuff here

Except that's for legitimate projects as well.  Things like translation patches or modifications to existing TH games, instead of DMF/Standalone game projects.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 03:39:34 PM »

This is probably the best solution - it won't completely cut down on Alrisandre-esque threads, but it should help.

I wouldn't be too hard on idea-generating folk, though.  Let's not go overboard locking threads.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 03:45:02 PM »
This is probably the best solution - it won't completely cut down on Alrisandre-esque threads, but it should help.

I wouldn't be too hard on idea-generating folk, though.  Let's not go overboard locking threads.

Who said lock? oops I did  Just merge their OP into the thread and split off any replies.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 05:23:55 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts. Then in that case I will create such a thread which can perhaps elicit thoughts and people can ask each other to help out or not. The only downside here is: There is al ready a thread called: "Danmakufu request thread"  but that is based only on danmaku where people with ideas (who need help) post. So the name of the thread has to be different indeed.

Locking is not necessary as Rika's garage moves relative fast, so the dead threads will fall back to the 2nd page anyway. I was personally thinking of modifying Stuffman's sticky post, making it perhaps more expanded and more clear (rules/faq/guideline). But I will have to discuss this with him before overthrowing his work.

Further more I got not much to ask so this will keep me occupied. I am also busy planning a new contest for Danmakufu together with Blargel. (Now if school would allow me some more spare time)

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »
It's pretty rough, like I'd like to get to work on an idea I have myself (I've been working on an extra boss since about when MoF came out because I hate MoF, and later, SA extra) but it's really freaking hard to make danmaku lol.

Dunno, this is a problem.  An idea thread sounds like a good choice to me.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 05:29:42 PM »
Perhaps a simple "Post your fledgling project ideas here" title would suffice? I think that serves to differentiate it enough from the thread where you go to specifically ask for help.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 05:45:03 PM »
It's pretty rough, like I'd like to get to work on an idea I have myself (I've been working on an extra boss since about when MoF came out because I hate MoF, and later, SA extra) but it's really freaking hard to make danmaku lol.

Dunno, this is a problem.  An idea thread sounds like a good choice to me.
This is not about danmakufu only though (well is a part of) but generally these a fan project that need to be programmed from scratch. Danmakufu is already a present engine, you just need to script for it.

Perhaps a simple "Post your fledgling project ideas here" title would suffice? I think that serves to differentiate it enough from the thread where you go to specifically ask for help.

Sounds good.