Author Topic: Let's talk about music!  (Read 8412 times)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Let's talk about music!
« on: April 17, 2011, 09:26:48 AM »
So what is the music you been listening too? (other than anime OPs EDs and scores I hope)

What are you tastefully recommending? Who would you say is your favorite artist for the last 3 months?

Maybe tell us what is your criteria for selecting who to listen to? Is it their looks? maybe you heard them on the radio and discovered a hidden gem in your father's attic?!

I have many such romantic discoveries myself.
though I am an oldie person these days, I always enjoy a few Taylor Swift songs, and well... occassionally I like Daft Punk, Prodigy, and sometimes I croon to Michael Buble...
so what have you?
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Re: Let's talk about music!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:28:50 PM »
I've been listening to a lot of French Touch lately. Loopalike has been the most recent amazing talent I've heard in that genre.

I find most of my music on trackitdown.net and random blogs. And if the song is played in a DJ Mix I might take a look at it if it sounds good.

Marin The Magus

• The magician of dimensional dreams
  • Energetic Satorin~ Shougorori~
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:34:27 PM »
I also like Daft Punk, but I liked more of the old stuff they had. Like "harder better faster stronger" and "one more time".
I like Rock and Metal. Like... Guns n' roses, dream theater, a lil' bit of megadeth (courtesy of my friends xD), led zeppelin, pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and such...
I also like to listen to classical music. That's the best :3

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:55:11 PM »
I love gothic and symphonic metal, and I listen to some melodic death metal here and there. My favourite bands are Lacuna Coil and Arch Enemy.
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

Kozau

• What is this I don't even--
  • So wrong, but it feels so good.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:07:40 PM »
I am probably going to be the minority here that doesn't listen to any variation of rock / metal (outside Touhou music) but meh. I listen to Rap (mostly old school), Hip-hop (which is ALWAYS old school), some rock-rap and RnB (which is dead these days so most of the stuff yet again, is from the olden days). I like this kind of music for the lyrics and the bass- I'm a bass whore and I love anything with heavy bass that can shake windows and get everyone dancing.

That being said, I love old school pop, modern pop, all types of classical / classical fusion and some indie. :V
[ -------Shaplz. ----- ]
('Lets just keep on dreaming... its all we have left now.')

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:36:54 PM »
Most of the music I listen to is orchestral, metal, techno, or some combination thereof. I mainly listen to non-vocal stuff, but there are plenty of exceptions.

Some of the bands/arrangers I mainly listen to are CROW'S CLAW, Liz Triangle, Black Night Funeral/Kokuyasou, Nox Arcana, Abney Park, and recently Apocalyptica.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 01:38:57 AM »
Personally, I love opera. I'm as hooked on it as I am Touhou (though it's unfortunately far more expensive, so I cannot indulge as often). My personal favorite is Gianni Schicchi, but nobody's ever heard of that one because it's an obscure one-act. Strangely enough, most opera buffs know its most famous aria, "O mio babbino caro", but have no idea what it's from.

As far as "mainstream" opera is concerned, I challenge you to find any piece of art more heart-wrenching than a well-performed La Boheme.  Go out and watch it live -- most opera houses project subtitles on a screen above the stage, so don't worry about not knowing Italian -- and bring lots of tissues.
E come vivo? Vivo!

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 01:54:48 AM »
It's weird that you mention opera, because I just checked out Puccini's Madame Butterfly from the library today on a whim, and am listening to it now-- I think it's pretty good. :3 I am just an opera newbie, though, at best.

Drake

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 02:13:46 AM »
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm13856702

Hapi. Pokemon BW medley arrange. Go.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 02:15:38 AM »
Showtunes <3 <3 <3  Classical music as well, and a bit of jazz now and then.  J-pop and metal are my two guilty pleasures.

I have to admit though, I haven't really listened to much Touhou music.  Just never really tried it.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
It's weird that you mention opera, because I just checked out Puccini's Madame Butterfly from the library today on a whim, and am listening to it now-- I think it's pretty good. :3 I am just an opera newbie, though, at best.
Hey, it's good to have newbies. There's a reason this music's survived for centuries -- because it's that damn good. Yeah, Madame Butterfly is a good one for a neophyte because it's easy to follow and has some beautiful arias. Once you get used to opera a bit, I suggest watching a video (or better, a live performance) of The Barber of Seville. It's absolutely hilarious and shows that opera isn't all viking helmets and wine glasses shattering.
E come vivo? Vivo!

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 06:34:27 PM »
I've been listening to a lot of Nile lately, particularly their latest album. If you like extreme metal at all, you really owe it to yourself to check them out - they're ridiculously skilled but at the same time, the songwriting is so good that you don't even notice it that much unless you're specifically paying attention. Here's a cool song or two. :V
Let's fight.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 07:06:11 PM »
Trance, techno, electronica, stuff that doesn't have lyrics basically. For artists that do this stuff WITH lyrics and still manage to make it awesome, see Clazziquai and HybRefine.

Now, I do happen to need some music to mix for next prom (HURR 11 MONTHS EARLY), so... eurodance/trance with really strong bass, anyone?

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

PC

• riot pls nerf trondamere
  • poultry shout too strong
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Trance, techno, electronica, stuff that doesn't have lyrics basically. For artists that do this stuff WITH lyrics and still manage to make it awesome, see Clazziquai and HybRefine.

Now, I do happen to need some music to mix for next prom (HURR 11 MONTHS EARLY), so... eurodance/trance with really strong bass, anyone?

I don't know my techno subgenres so does this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, or this (last one has vocals) work out for you?

...wait fuck, you said eurodance

Whatever, will edit/dump more later.  :V

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 07:36:03 PM »
I've been listening to a lot of Nile lately, particularly their latest album. If you like extreme metal at all, you really owe it to yourself to check them out - they're ridiculously skilled but at the same time, the songwriting is so good that you don't even notice it that much unless you're specifically paying attention. Here's a cool song or two. :V

I heard some of nile's stuff like.. uhh. quite some time ago. Like 10-14 years maybe? Anyway, I wasn't too impressed with them then, the music in general was really drowned out by very repetative drum rolls.. dunno if that's the term. The thing where they start hitting the highest-pitch "boom"ey drum, then go 1 drum down for a few strokes, then 1 drum down a few strokes.. I'm not talkinga bout the "psht" snare or the bass drum, but the ones that sound hollow. Anyway, they'd just do that over and over on every song I've heard like white Zombie is obsessed with the word "yeah".

Over the course of 10 years, bands can change a hell of a lot though, so I should give em a second shot, especially because I like music that sounds egyptianesque. At the time my fave egyptian-sounding metal was necronomicon.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 01:12:55 AM »
Their first album was released in 1998, so maybe that was what you listened to? Honestly, I'm not really a fan of that album, it's pretty simple compared to their newer stuff - I think they've improved with every release, with maybe a slight dip at 2007's Ithyphallic. Definitely check out their latest album and Annihilation of the Wicked, it's a far cry from their first album. Here's the title track from AotW, which is the song which got me hooked in the first place. It's so badass. :D

Also, do you mean blast beats? You might not have that problem with the newer stuff - their current drummer is incredibly awesome, and pretty creative compared to stuff on the earlier releases. The drumming is definitely one of the highlights of the more recent albums for me.
Let's fight.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 02:36:27 AM »
Electronic and Classical music are my favorites, no doubt. Lately I've been listening to KUSC more than anything; classical makes for very good driving music. Aside from that I like Jazz, Soul, Swing, Disco...basically anything non-rock from the 50s-70s.

Speaking of which I really don't like rock, metal, or anything like that. For a while I did like classical and alternative rock, but that's waned in recent months. Only a few songs and bands break from the mold enough to sound enjoyable to my ears. Same goes for rap, hip-hop, and the like.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 08:02:35 AM »
Their first album was released in 1998, so maybe that was what you listened to? Honestly, I'm not really a fan of that album, it's pretty simple compared to their newer stuff - I think they've improved with every release, with maybe a slight dip at 2007's Ithyphallic. Definitely check out their latest album and Annihilation of the Wicked, it's a far cry from their first album. Here's the title track from AotW, which is the song which got me hooked in the first place. It's so badass. :D

Also, do you mean blast beats? You might not have that problem with the newer stuff - their current drummer is incredibly awesome, and pretty creative compared to stuff on the earlier releases. The drumming is definitely one of the highlights of the more recent albums for me.

Yeah, it was Nile's first album, weird, it was really popular around here (for death metal that is!) right from the get go, maybe cuz they're north American I guess.
Yeah I gave a listen to one of the songs you linked, they definately improved imo too. It's not something I'd buy, but I only heard one song, maybe I like other songs more. Currently though I'm not actually on the hunt for new music. I'm currently still exploring all the new Touhou music. Unlike many metal fans (or music fans in general really), I actually don't give a rats ass about vocals or lyrics. Touhou has some really nice metal out there with no vocals so I'm checking that stuff out instead. I also don't really care about player talent. As long the composition/arrangement is good, I'm happy. I don't attend live concerts, my ears couldn't take it, yes, even with earplugs, my ears are pussies, maybe if I got those big ear muffler things, *shrugs*.

I kinda forgot to mention some of my own personal fave bands, derp derp. Anyway, I like metal, yay. I got too many fave bands to list, but I'll try to list some, bear in mind I enjoy black metal the most often, but am not really all into glorifying evil or whatever like most of its fans are. Nor do I automatically like a black metal band simply because the image is cool cuz their production effing stinks (cough darkthrone cough):
Stormlord: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tysvzUk-AcY
Limbonic Art: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xntuctGnAr0&feature=related
Graveworm: (don't say you like this band in black metal circles, you'll get ganked if you do) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvkxrk8eVUk&feature=related
Unfortunately, Graveworms newer albums have been relatively weak, I haven't really checked em out for like 5-6 years though.

Some of the prettier stuff I like:
Silentium: (sometimes they make the 'u' a 'v' for some reason *shrugs*..it's the same band though) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WblTZXR4-5o&feature=related
It's a shame he uses clean vocals most of the time, his "dirty" vocals are actually some of the best sounding IMO.
Their newer albums are also good, but definately more gothy and less metal. I haven't heard them since seducia though.

More "pretty" metal:
Eternal tears of sorrow:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeZ9FOCV_M8

Of course I like good old oldschool standard death metal too:
Bolt thrower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC-Sn53UMCA
The album is certainly not old, but I use it because Bolt thrower, after all these years, is still very much the same as they were.

This band IMO is way ahead of its time, I don't mean that as a compliment (or a bad thing), but they remarkably sound like most successful swedish bands 10 years their jumior, I like these guys though, and most of the current (err 5-10 years ago) successful swedish bands sound similar and boringish though:
At the Gates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWI6stYkwSc&feature=related

And my fave Canadian band (Most Canadian bands suck IMO. boo):
Kataklysm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7FgQscltl8

Imma stop now, I got like 50 other bands I'd call faves lol.. Chances are nobody will listen to one >=P

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:05:42 AM by Ghaleon »

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 09:37:58 AM »
this, this,this, this, this, or this.

Oh God yes. Thanks a ton!
For comparison: this, this, this and this.

House music like this certainly wouldn't hurt either, but I can look for those on my own.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:39:55 AM by The Blueberry Cheesecake »

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »
Stormlord: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tysvzUk-AcY
Ooh, this is pretty cool. I quite like black metal as a concept but in practice I don't really know much, since the majority of it seems to be pretty badly produced, which I find pretty irritating. I don't know if they're exactly black metal per se, but I like Melechesh quite a lot. Agalloch, probably my favourite band, also have quite a few black metal parts, though it's mixed with a bunch of other stuff. :V You might already know both of these, I have no idea, haha.
Of course I like good old oldschool standard death metal too:
Bolt thrower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC-Sn53UMCA
The album is certainly not old, but I use it because Bolt thrower, after all these years, is still very much the same as they were.
Haha, I've been listening to Bolt Thrower quite a bit recently, too. Very cool stuff. I'll give the rest of the links a listen later. :P

Another death metal band I've been listening to few the last few days is Obscura - very technical, complex songs, took me a few listens for most of them to sink in but it's really awesome stuff. Here are a few cool tracks.

Regarding trance: anyone like Astral Projection?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:25:32 PM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »
I'm not someone who just sticks to one genre. I listen to things I like. Music that moves me, be it sad, epic, or pretty, yeah. This had led me to listen mostly to metal and techno these days. That does not mean I like all techno or metal. At all. I'm a big hater of those songs that got nothing but a kickbeat and some repeated notes along *points at Astral Projection*. And I'm not too fond of the usual soulless screamo metal out there. My favourite circles and groups would be Danmaq, Dream Theater, WAVE, t=NODE, zts (from 7th Expansion), and =NeutraL=.
Occasionally I listen some to dBu, J.S. Bach, Akiyama (U2) and random vocaloid stuff, not to forget Marasy8.
I used to listen lots to Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, Frank Klepack (the musician of the C&C series) and Haluk Levent (Turkish rock artist), but I got over those and found better stuff to listen to.
Some of my favourite songs of all time will be listed here. Just be a little mature and don't go all hater because I'm listing quite a few Septette remixes here. They're listed chronologically, starting from the oldest. Bold are the most important ones to me.
Fate of Sixty Years by C-CLAYS My first favourite touhou song.
Septette piano arrangement by an unknown circle
Septette by UI70
Border of Life by =Neutral= (#1)
Hartmann's Youkai Girl by =NeutraL= Probably one of my favourite songs of all time
Infinite Being by an unknown circle
Border of Life by =Neutral (#2)
Eternal Phantasmagoria by Danmaq This song influenced my own music extremely.
The Kappa Way as Said ~ One-way Accelerator my favourite ZUN imitation
Suwa Foughten Field piano arrangement
Cute Devil ~ Innocence by FactoryNoise & AG
Septette for the Dead Princess by WAVE WAVE pushes away =NeutraL= from the top
Onigashima in the Fairyland piano arrange This is actually the very first touhou piece I played in front of an audience. Jawdrops everywhere.
Dawn of East End by WAVE godly beauty man T__T
End of the Dream by WAVE
Old World by ?
Broken Strawberry ShortCake The second greatest influence to my own music.
Inner Universe
Dance of Eternity by t=NODE
Final Answer by Dai
Brandenburg Concerto #3
Worldenddominator by zts
Octavarium by Dream Theater

congrats if you listened to some of these.

Kommisar

• 8 Bit Chef
  • Jewfro
    • Bluexoon
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »
anything by SHE

www.shemusic.org
spellcheck lol

Seventh Holy Scripture

• Err... d'ya need somethin' from me?
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 10:09:55 PM »
I put this Rekka Katakiri song on repeat somewhere around Christmastime and haven't gotten tired of it yet.

Eiichiro Yanagi needs to produce more stuff.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 02:27:16 AM »
For some stuff covered by modern genres that have symphonic stuff or ancient instruments, here be recommendations.

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 02:55:39 AM »
I can't forget Streetlight Manifesto. I'm not even sure what genre to call them -- they blend skapunk, spanish rhythmic guitar, jazz, blues, and set everything to double time.

Note: Look up the lyric sheet to They Provide the Paint before you listen to this. It goes far too fast for mortals to comprehend it all, and the dissertation -- I mean lyrics are incredibly poignant.
E come vivo? Vivo!