Author Topic: 2010 MLB Postseason  (Read 10918 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
2010 MLB Postseason
« on: October 06, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
So the MLB postseason is officially underway. 8 teams remain - who will come out on top and be called the best in America the world?

Here are the matchups for the Division Series:

Texas Rangers vs. Tampa Bay Rays
New York Yankees vs. Minnesota Twins
Cincinnati Reds vs. Philadelphia Phillies
Atlanta Braves vs. San Francisco Giants

Feel free to talk about who you're rooting for, what you think of certain matchups, etc. Just don't get so carried away that you break a site rule or something, okay? Let this be a fun time for baseball fans!

As for me, go Yankees! As long as Pettitte and Hughes can perform semi-consistently, I bet they'll have a decent chance at going all the way. Pray they don't run into the Rays though, I don't trust that matchup at all...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 08:16:12 PM by Funen1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: 2010 MLB Postseason
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:12:09 PM »
yankees and phillies crave phallus

ws will be great if neither team is involved
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kommisar

• 8 Bit Chef
  • Jewfro
    • Bluexoon
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:30:09 PM »
hey i like da phillies

my team never makes the world series, fucking canada.
spellcheck lol

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
Hurp, yankees/braves world series, yankees win!!!!!

I hate baseball. >_>

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:18:35 PM »
Go teams that do not wear pinstripes! Defeat your opponent that is wearing pinstripes by proficiently scoring multiple goal units!

Regardless of matchups, the Giants, Reds, AND Braves have my support for various varying reasons. As for the AL, Red Sox fans account for approximately 25% of the Rays total attendance based on the numbers I have just made up, so they also have my support. I would also like to see them do well in order prove that their fans are thankless and unappreciative of the talents their team bears.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 12:04:41 AM »
This just in: Roy Halladay (Phillies) just clinched a no-hitter to beat the Reds 4-0. Seriously, props to Halladay for this. I mean, two no-hitters in one season? As if this wasn't already the Year of the PitcherTM. More and more I'm convinced that the Phillies will win the NL pennant.

In other news, the Rangers defeated the Rays 5-1. The Yankees-Twins game is due up in about 30 minutes, and the Braves-Giants game starts tomorrow.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 01:33:26 AM »
I was following the box score updates for Halladay's game at work. So bummed I couldn't watch the game itself. What a beast!

I say it'll be Twins / Phillies WS. Rooting for the Giants because I think they have the best shot in the NL to knock out Philly. And cuz Lincecum is awesome. As a Dodgers fan, I know this is treasonous...

Oh yea, http://www.sportspickle.com/opinion/3622/flowchart-who-should-you-root-for-in-the-mlb-playoffs

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 04:42:05 AM »
And now the third game of the day is over, Yankees winning 6-4. It was a relief (for me :V) to see NY score when they did, because their first half of the game was way too lackluster. Their offense better not become that silent again if they want a decent chance at winning more games.

Oh, and umpires will forever be inferior to instant replay. I know Golson's catch ended up being insignificant, but me and my perfectionist tendencies can't ignore when someone else so blatantly screws up. And never mind how weird the home-plate ump's strike zone felt tonight (on both sides, mind you). God, so much evidence lately showing just how inconsistent umpires can be.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 04:24:53 AM »
I don't know if this thread will even see any more activity, so I'll just edit updates to this post in the future if nothing happens.

Division Series, Day Two - 10/7/2010

Rangers def. Rays 6-0 (TX leads series 2-0)
Yankees def. Twins 5-2 (NY leads series 2-0)
Giants def. Braves 1-0 (SF leads series 1-0)

Welp, even more "bad call" shenanigans in all three games, and they sure as hell made a difference this time. This has to stop. I don't care if the Yankees ended up on the good side of it, I don't need to be reminded of how badly umpires can mess up their job.

But the highlight for me tonight was Lincecum (Giants) pitching a 2-hitter shutout with 14 strikeouts. Not a bad way to get your team's postseason going, eh?

Kiro

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 05:08:26 AM »
Meh at Twins prediction. Still possible, but not looking good. They look better than the Rays at least, lawl. Admittedly, it would be fun to see Cliff Lee torment the Yankees again and then maybe torment the Phillies in a possible WS matchup. Lincecum is a stud. Phillies/GIants NLCS on track so far, even if it's just 1-0 leads.

I think the whole thing about bad calls is just getting blown up more because TV viewers get all those nifty charts showing strike zone location and replay angles. Someone's gonna complain about the strike zone every game so just accept the ump is doing the best he can and yukkuri shitte itte ne. Ditto with the check swings like the one the Rangers got; a somewhat understandable mistake if the ump had to make the decision right there. But it didn't matter in this situation cuz the Rays didn't even score this game.

The on field plays are a little more worrying and MLB should look into options for instant replay on that. But until then, both teams know to make do.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 05:21:30 AM »
After 6 games, my predicted Divisional Series winners are 1-5, and that 1 belongs to one of the two teams I pray gets hit by a meteor each night when I go to bed.

This year in baseball blows. When does basketball start again? :[

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Reddyne

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 11:19:21 AM »
After 6 games, my favored Divisional Series winners are 1-5 , and that 1 belongs to one of the two teams that is matched up with another team I'd like to win.

This year in baseball is hell on toast. When does college basketball and James et al. losing in the finals start again? :[

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 01:27:59 PM »
I think the whole thing about bad calls is just getting blown up more because TV viewers get all those nifty charts showing strike zone location and replay angles. Someone's gonna complain about the strike zone every game so just accept the ump is doing the best he can and yukkuri shitte itte ne. Ditto with the check swings like the one the Rangers got; a somewhat understandable mistake if the ump had to make the decision right there. But it didn't matter in this situation cuz the Rays didn't even score this game.
Actually I think TBS's strike zone thingy is skewed in the first place, so I stick to looking at the plate proper. But yeah, we only give these bad calls more attention because the technology exists to definitively say one way or the other. Something like the check swing call or the stolen base was indeed understandable for making a quick judgment (I thought he checked it too at first), but it would only take like 5-10 seconds for the people upstairs to look at it again and reverse the call. There's the slight chance the check swing had a psychological (or managerial-based) effect on the Rays, but hey, no way I can find that out. :V

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 04:47:45 AM »
The DS has been going back and forth between AL and NL for a few days. Now on Sunday we have both sides playing again. Here are today's scores:

Rays def. Rangers 6-3 (TX leads 2-1)
Yankees def. Twins 6-1 (NY wins series 3-0)

So only three series left after the Yankees won theirs. It's still a do-or-die situation for the Rays, but I would not put a comeback past them. Their game starts early tomorrow afternoon. I'm counting on the Phillies finishing a sweep of their own, or winning in 4 games at the worst. The Braves-Giants matchup feels much closer though, and my curiosity wants me to see which way their series tilts.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 04:57:06 AM »
Great, one of the only two teams I didn't want to see go anywhere just finished a sweep and the other has Cole Hamels going in a second sweep game.

Fuck this sport.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
hey i like da phillies

my team never makes the world series, fucking canada.

Blue Jays had awesome hitting, but...just still can't make the post-season because of Yankees and Tampa.

I'm with Kommi and hope for Phillies because Halladay and I have so much respect for him after all that he's done for the Jays. He deserves a World Series win (no-hitter win was just awesome)

But I still think baseball is boring :V

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 12:43:08 AM »
Damnit Braves, you were one pitch away from a win and you decide to fuck it all up for a loss. I am rage.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 04:50:18 AM »
Man, so many stories in this postseason regarding defense, good and bad. And we're not even out of the DS yet. Here are today's scores:

Rays def. Rangers 5-2 (series tied 2-2)
Giants def. Braves 3-2 (Giants lead 2-1)
Phillies def. Reds 2-0 (PHI wins series 3-0)

The Rays are suddenly starting to play like the "best team in baseball" that they were at the close of the regular season. Just in time, as far as they're concerned. And holy crap even more errors in the NL today. Brooks Conrad is the reason the Giants won. Period. As for the Phils... what can I say? They're perhaps the only team in all the NL that can legitimately go toe-to-toe with the remaining AL field.

Great, one of the only two teams I didn't want to see go anywhere just finished a sweep and the other has Cole Hamels going in a second sweep game.

Fuck this sport.
Don't hate the game, hate the players (you know who :V).

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 04:16:31 AM »
Decided to wait a day for the ALDS to clear up. Here are the remaining scores for the first round:

Giants def. Braves 3-2 (SF wins series 3-1)
Rangers def. Rays 3-2 (TX wins series 3-2)

So we got four teams left, and if you ask me it will probably be another Yankees-Phillies matchup in the World Series. Cliff Lee could give NY some trouble though (remember that the Phillies won the two games Lee started in last year's WS). And I'm sure a bunch of people here would love to see such an upset. :V

Reddyne

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 10:53:31 AM »
So we got four teams left, and if you ask me it will probably be another Yankees-Phillies matchup in the World Series. Cliff Lee could give NY some trouble though (remember that the Phillies won the two games Lee started in last year's WS). And I'm sure a bunch of people here would love to see such an upset. :V
If it ends with the Phils and Yanks again, the chances that I'd watch a single game are ZEE-ROW. Praying for an upset so that my interest in baseball doesn't take another hit.

Kiro

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 04:21:04 AM »
Holy shit Giants.

We've got some competitive series going on here.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 04:22:23 AM »
I am massively pissed with Ron Washington because it's basically 100% his fault that we're not looking at Rangers being up 2-0 with Cliff Lee going in Game 3.

Kiro

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 04:23:38 AM »
I am massively pissed with Ron Washington because it's basically 100% his fault that we're not looking at Rangers being up 2-0 with Cliff Lee going in Game 3.

Agreed. But the past is the past. Rangers bounced back nicely. Good shot at going up 2-1.

Reddyne

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 03:17:13 AM »
Rangers up on the Yanks big time and suddenly I can afford to care again.

Oh, the fickle of heart.  :V

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 05:54:35 AM »
Cliff Lee was a beast tonight.

No more needs to be said.

Kiro

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 04:00:32 AM »
Wouldn't it be something else if the Phillies were eliminated in the playoffs this year before the Yankees?

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 04:23:29 AM »
And there's the fact that the NLCS plays tomorrow while the ALCS is off. I'm pretty sure the Yankees will be eliminated (because at this point, they will face Cliff Lee again), but yeah, it would be interesting to see Philly knocked out first.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 04:48:25 AM »

Reddyne

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 11:39:04 AM »
Very frustrating day yesterday, so I passed out at 11 with the NCLS game tied. Frikkin' psycho PC.
And there's the fact that the NLCS plays tomorrow while the ALCS is off. I'm pretty sure the Yankees will be eliminated (because at this point, they will face Cliff Lee again), but yeah, it would be interesting to see Philly knocked out first.
Both Yanks and Phils have quite an uphill battle to fight. The Yanks are only 2 games down, but one of those is against Cliff. I'd rather see some knife twisting before I see some meager excuse for an epic comeback.

Hyuk hyuk hyuk.

Kiro

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 04:35:06 PM »
bochy gif

Funny, but couldn't you find a gif that was from the game last night rather than one against my hometown Dodgers? :(

inb4 you tell me to :dwi:

Rematch Halladay vs Lincecum today!