Author Topic: TOTALLY UNPOPULAR THREAD - Watamote thread  (Read 11979 times)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
TOTALLY UNPOPULAR THREAD - Watamote thread
« on: July 26, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »
anime manga go here discuss.

best VA is best for Tomoko, I can't think of a more depressing voice.
WHY is this so much FEELS.jpg?

:ohdear:
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: TOTALLY UNPOPULAR THREAD - Watamote thread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »
WHY is this so much FEELS.jpg?

Because everyone that watches it identifies with it in one of two ways:

- As the way they used to live and hated
- As the way they presently live and hate
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 09:14:50 PM »
Because everyone that watches it identifies with it in one of two ways:

- As the way they used to live and hated
- As the way they presently live and hate

Pretty much, yeah.

I just watched the second episode on a whim despite not caring much for the first, and it's better, I guess.

I have to say, I'd be much more interested if the show was as dark and angry as the OP makes it look. And that is to say, it'd be more entertaining. :P

Either way, it's okay. I'll watch a couple more, but I dunno if I'll stick with it.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 04:32:54 AM »
So far I'm loving it and yeah it is because of I can relate to it a lot.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 07:41:44 AM »
everyone who watches this somehow has social anxiety levels maxed out at somepoint of their lives i i imagine.

edit:
Ok, reading the manga, it makes about the best comedy I read in ages, it is laughable yet terribly relatable. I feel everything happened like this when I was in elementary school, and somehow, the images in my head from that time and the kind of things I suffered feel comedic now instead of being scary. (not that I haven't outgrown it) Everything about this title is amazing, it is a fleeting and consuming way to look at youth and its constant chase for popularity. Almost like... I wanna be mainstream but I can't because I have no idea how to start. (back in my days it was the kid who had the Nokia 3310 or its predecessor) 

This panel explains what I feel: http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/9370/04-031.0/compressed/h006.jpg
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:17:47 PM by ♛ Apher-Forte »
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »

This episode reminds me of all those times I tried to DDR alone.

Drake

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:47:15 AM »
This show. I can't relate to it. Even for a social catastrophe some of the things Tomoko does are just so abysmally stupid it kills my immersion. I have to stop at least once an episode to facepalm for like a minute at the punchlines.

i still can't stop watching it
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:57:00 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 04:08:36 PM »
This show. I can't relate to it. Even for a social catastrophe some of the things Tomoko does are just so abysmally stupid it kills my immersion. I have to stop at least once an episode to facepalm for like a minute at the punchlines.

i still can't stop watching it

That's pretty much the same reason I'm still watching it-- because she's just so absolutely ridiculous and does some of the most stupid things. Girl, you need help. Badly.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't analyzing her character this whole time, which is my main attraction to watching it, but dear GOD it's hard to even take her seriously when she takes histrionics and delusion to such an extreme level.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 01:32:52 PM »
somewhere out there, there is a person exactly like this.

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 04:31:45 AM »
Well of course she's exaggerated--it makes it funny. Otherwise it would just be depressing.

That's also why Tomoko isn't bullied by her peers like the manga's artist was, even though her school life is the basis for the manga.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 09:14:04 PM »
somewhere out there, there is a person exactly like this.

*Raises hand*

I identify with Tomoko, just subtract the whole
I-want-to-be-popular goal.

Phoenon

• Let's Rock, Baby
  • Woop Woop
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 10:31:20 PM »

Love the manga, love the anime, hope it's being received well or at least decently by now. Last I checked it was one of the least viewed in Japan.

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »
I watched the anime and....
I want the manga. Now. I loved every second of the anime. I can't relate to it, but I still think it's pure gold. Hell, most of the episodes I feel sorry for Tomoko, she is just so.... Adorable, she just wants attention, and no one gives her that and, ARGH! 3;
I just can't help myself but feel sorry for her. I can't wait 'till the next episode Also, does anyone feel the series is sort of a subtle critic to Hikikomoris and girls who want to look as artificial as possible?
Edit: Nah, it doesn't feel liek it's trying to criticize Hikikomoris, but it still kinda feels like it's subtly doing so to those kinds of girls.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:34:39 AM by FamilyTeam »

The nova of the ocean of the cleverness

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 04:37:07 AM »
It is not so much as that, it is more towards making fun of antisocial and yet socially challenged people. if you combine the two (they are distinct) such as severe autism of some variiation + antisocial + overly fantasizing behavior you get a wreck like Tomoko. You know what I hate? I found cosplay of it that isn't even trying to be messy and wreck-like....

girls,. the point is not to make up, or if you do, mess it up
that is TOMOKO.

Jmyster

• Knives
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
I am really enjoying this, and considering how I was during middle school, I can relate...ish. Her lack of self awareness continuously stunts her growth, the comedy and tragedy of it all. The dim hope that something will finally go her way sadistically drives me onward towards each and every episode. (And, man, that opening is awesome).

Also like how her family is pretty standard and the show doesn't use them as an excuse for 'why she is the way she is' or anything like that.

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 06:54:24 AM »
I personally like her relationship with her brother the best, that's like one of the most realistic sibling relationships I've seen in anime since Genshiken (season1).

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
It is not so much as that, it is more towards making fun of antisocial and yet socially challenged people. if you combine the two (they are distinct) such as severe autism of some variiation + antisocial + overly fantasizing behavior you get a wreck like Tomoko. You know what I hate? I found cosplay of it that isn't even trying to be messy and wreck-like....

girls,. the point is not to make up, or if you do, mess it up
that is TOMOKO.

Cosplaying Tomoko would be one of the easiest things ever as long as you have her school uniform and a black wig (if you don't already have long black hair). All you'd have to do is wear that wig all day and not shower for a couple days and pull an all-nighter before cosplaying her.

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 02:16:38 AM »
I had a lot of work to do in the last two weeks, so only now, at 23:00 ON FRIDAY have time to watch the two new episodes. So far, two things:
1. Tomoko is a lost cause
2. Her mother reminds me of my father, but not a good way.
This is my new bloody avatar
No wait, that was three. Christ. And now that I finished watching the episode: THAT K-ON REFERENCE, and the ending was really heartwarming. Almost as hearthwarming as Ika Musume's ending.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:28:40 AM by FamilyTeam »

Solais

• Developer fairy
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 11:02:55 PM »
Episode 10 reminded me how I always look for a peaceful spot while waiting for my next class to start in Uni. One of these places is a dark corridor in the basement, where they keep unused desks and chairs, similar like in the show. Though for me, it's mostly because I like to listen to music while waiting, and most of the corridors are so noisy due to bad acoustics and all the people that I cannot hear anything (unlike most people, I listen to music in a low volume, or the earplugs hurt my ears). Also, most of the time, all the seats are occupied on the corridors. I also occasionally read books or play some games there as well.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »
Cosplaying Tomoko would be one of the easiest things ever as long as you have her school uniform and a black wig (if you don't already have long black hair). All you'd have to do is wear that wig all day and not shower for a couple days and pull an all-nighter before cosplaying her.

Matsy totally gets it.
Episode 10 reminded me how I always look for a peaceful spot while waiting for my next class to start in Uni. One of these places is a dark corridor in the basement, where they keep unused desks and chairs, similar like in the show. Though for me, it's mostly because I like to listen to music while waiting, and most of the corridors are so noisy due to bad acoustics and all the people that I cannot hear anything (unlike most people, I listen to music in a low volume, or the earplugs hurt my ears). Also, most of the time, all the seats are occupied on the corridors. I also occasionally read books or play some games there as well.

and then along come people talking loudly as if no one is there (or that they didn't notice me anyway) and I get annoyed and I go out and yell at them to shut up... causing an awkward situation of 'oh... you were there?'

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 10:13:33 PM »
Just finished watching episode 12 and... can somebody explain that ending to me? Really, what the hell happened, I... just didn't get it!
But now that I finished watching the Anime, I want to read the manga, just to see what it looks like. The problem is that I don't really know if they'll be realeasing it around here. Even if they did, what the hell would they call it anyway? The title is a bit long you know.
Not like it matters anyway. You can only get mangas around here in anime cons, and the next one I'll be able to go is in November the 9th. So no Watamote manga 'till there.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 04:51:02 PM »
You ever have one of those desperately awkward moments where you have a man crush on a bro who treats you like his best friend but has best friends himself who think you are a creepy bastard who wants to hog their friend's man-nuts? Yeah, and then you speak to him and you are overly conscious about how you might sound (ie. Gay) and you tried to defend yourself when in fact all of them are like they don't really care and you overly explain yourself and now they really suspect you might be gay for ALL of them and you are now... in a tight spot...

The solution tend to be RUN AWAY

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 05:47:05 AM »
This anime was brilliant. I would rate it 9/10

Why it was brilliant for me? I love the cringe feeling I got when I watched this anime. I just wanted scratch my screen until it breaks, because the main character was so embarrassing. I will be waiting for 2nd season :)