Author Topic: English patch for Boho Koumakyou - Scarlet Family [finished]  (Read 49884 times)

English patch for Boho Koumakyou - Scarlet Family [finished]
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
This translation patch is now finished !
You can download it here : http://www.mediafire.com/download/ssnz5yf3agsbdhc/Bouhou+Koumakyou+english+patch.zip

**************** Original post ****************
I'm working on the technical part of a translation patch for Boho Koumakyou - Scarlet Family since some weeks for now. The technical part is quite advanced, so now I need translators. But I also need some players.
Why do I need players ? Because my patch is quite different from the others. Usually, the 1st step of a patch is to decrypt the datas. I'm not good at this, so I made something different : my patch saves the texts and replace them on the fly when they are displayed in game. So, to have all the texts, they need to be displayed in game once while the patch is active. Same thing for the characters.
Here is how you can help with this :
  • Download the patch files : http://www.mediafire.com/download/1898523b1zqaiuk/boho_patch.zip
  • Copy the 2 files into the game's directory
  • Play to the game. 2 folders (called characters and dialogs) and a file (called chars_dump.txt) should be created
  • Send me the folders characters and texts and their contents, and the file chars_dump.txt (by posting them here, by MP or by mail)

Now, how the translators can help :
Firstly, my patch can't recognize characters by himself. So it creates pictures called "-_coordX_coordY.bmp". For example this picture is called "-_1757_1494.bmp" (or "-_1757_1494", depending on your computer's settings). You need to rename it, replacing the hyphen by the corresponding character. For example, if the character above is "月" (I know it's not 月, but I need an example), you need to rename it "月_1757_1494.bmp". Then, send me all the character you handled.
Here are all the unknown characters I have for now : http://www.mediafire.com/download/tuacqtiud19evqx/boho1_characters.zip (I'll have more of these as players give me their files).
There is also some translatable content in this picture
I'll give the japanese texts later, when my patch will know more kanjis (except if someone here can translate something like this :
Code: [Select]
パチュリー『?ってる??で?が?って???を?る?が』 (each quotation mark corresponds to an unknown character)).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:53:16 AM by brliron »

Re: English patch for Boho Koumakyou - Scarlet Family
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:10:52 PM »
Here's the translated characters as request:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/y176ppk43hz1sg2/boho1_characters_translated.rar

Edited: Fixed some minor typo. Just re-download the files will do.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:17:22 AM by noobcat4896 »

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:18:44 PM »
Thank you

Thanks to you, I can now give the introduction text (the dialog when you begin a new game). Here it is :
http://www.mediafire.com/download/er5gnoq8y4ws83r/dialogs+-+intro+-+jp+sentences.txt
Note : if the "View" button of mediafire gives random characters (and I think it will), download the file and open it with Windows (for example with notepad).

I also have the inventory texts, but I need to work a bit more on them before being able to give something nice and easy to translate.

Edit : Fixed the introduction text corresponding to the typos noobcat4896 fixed.
Edit 2 : I forgot the last line in the introduction text. Fixed.

Edit 3 :
I finished with the inventory. Here are the texts : http://www.mediafire.com/view/1ygy3gcbjud9fgf/dialogs_-_items_-_jp_sentances.txt

To give more translatable content, I need files from players.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:23:49 PM by brliron »

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:29:26 AM »
Glad I could help.

Just to clarify, I can only recognize hiragana, katakana, and some basic kanji, but I can't fully comprehend Japanese sentences at all.

So, it would be best if the other experts would do the translation for the introduction text/dialog.

Anyway, I look forward to the patch. :)

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 03:00:42 AM »
I'd love to play it but I have no idea where I can buy the game, the second one is easier to find but when I try to find the first game I end up lost and can't find a place to buy it.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »
noobcat4896 : ok.

Colticide : I found this on google : http://www.dlsite.com/home/work/=/product_id/RJ077380.html

And, to players :
I made a new version of my patch. It fixes a problem (the items amount doesn't have to be translated), and adds informations about the current stage and who is talking.
The link is on the first post.

BTW, I began to add support for Scarlet Family 2. It creates a graphical bug (a green aura appears around the characters), but except this, it works.
I plan to do a translation patch for Scarlet Family 2 when this patch will be finished. You can use this patch with it if you want, so that the playing part will already be done for the next patch.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:33:18 PM by brliron »

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 08:47:33 PM »
I tried to apply the patch but this error pops out when I start the game with it:

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:37:04 PM »
Oops... I forgot to test on another computer.

I fixed it. The link didn't change.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 01:54:38 AM »
Here's the files that the patch created after clearing the game from start to end:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/udyucc0ops4ti4v/raw+data.rar

I wasn't sure exactly how  to trigger the dialogues to appear (seems to be random), so there might be some dialogues that I miss, since i skipped some map areas that lead to a dead end/trap in this playthrough.

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »
Thank you.

If I can ask you some more help : in the archive you gave in your last post, there is a folder called "characters", with a lot of characters. Can you rename these files, replacing the dash with the character in the picture, as you did a week ago ?

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »
There you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2fya28bneabmqxa/characters.rar

I forgot to mention this earlier, but the description for the four coins is missing from the inventory text.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »
There you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2fya28bneabmqxa/characters.rar
Thank you for all your help.
I need to work on your files make tools which will process your files. I'll give the japanese texts when it will be finished.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but the description for the four coins is missing from the inventory text.
Yes, I knew it, but I forgot to mention it, too. That's because I used a save file from a finished game. And when you finish the game, you no longer have these coins.
I think I can find these descriptions in the files you gave me.

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »
I made tools to extract the texts from the files my DLLs creates. Here are the in-game dialogs : http://www.mediafire.com/view/fm72rdn9da8j6am/dialogs_-_story_-_jp_sentences.txt
I also updated the items descriptions (I added the coins). Here they are : http://www.mediafire.com/view/1ygy3gcbjud9fgf/dialogs_-_items_-_jp_sentences.txt

2 notes for the translators : Firstly, when you translate texts, please give me the result in a .txt file, not in an advanced file format, like a word or excel document.
For the form of the translations, let's take an example :
CAKE_S
お茶の時間用の小さなケーキ。食ベると体カを少
し回復します。
The easier for me would be to give me the texts like this :
L"CAKE_S", NULL,
L"お茶の時間用の小さなケーキ。食ベると体カを少", L"Translation for the 1st line",
L"し回復します。", L"Translation for the 2nd line",
NULL means to keep the original text. The syntax is important : don't forget the comas, the double quotes, and the L before some double quotes.
If you use this format, I'll be able to copy-paste it directly in my program.
Else, you can use an easy to parse format. Here are some examples :
CAKE_S

お茶の時間用の小さなケーキ。食ベると体カを少
Translation for the 1st line
し回復します。
Translation for the 2nd line
CAKE_S
お茶の時間用の小さなケーキ。食ベると体カを少=Translation for the 1st line
し回復します。=Translation for the 2nd line
With this kind of format, making a tool to convert them to the correct format will be easy. The more important is consistency (in the example just above, each japanese line must be followed by its translation or by an empty line).

Secondly, in the files I give, lines beginning with 1 or 2 # aren't from the games : these are lines I added to help you.
Also, you can let some comments in the files you give me by putting a # at the beginning of the lines containing these comments.

My tools give me strange results for the ending, so I'll do some tests with them (BTW, I hacked my save to be able to see the ending more easily. Now, I kill reimu with one shot). I work on doing a text version, but you can already translate it from this screenshot : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/37/1410369232-tkf-ending.png

BTW, it there any translator working on this ?

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »
I can type out the ending texts, just give me a few minutes.

Edit: http://www.mediafire.com/view/93l1rr4q19k5d93/dialogs_-_ending_-_jp_sentences.txt
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:38:27 PM by Heartnet »

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 11:51:58 AM »
I made my patch fully compatible with boho koumakyou 2 (with some help from Heartnet).
For now, it knows which game is running basing on the game's filename : if it is boho3.exe, it's boho koumakyou 2. Else, we assume it's the first boho koumakyou.
Here it is : http://www.mediafire.com/download/1898523b1zqaiuk/boho_patch.zip

Re: English patch for Boho Koumakyou - Scarlet Family [ Need translators ]
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 06:55:18 PM »
My tools give me strange results for the ending, so I'll do some tests with them (BTW, I hacked my save to be able to see the ending more easily. Now, I kill reimu with one shot). I work on doing a text version, but you can already translate it from this screenshot : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/37/1410369232-tkf-ending.png
Fixed.
I updated the link.

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 01:12:56 AM »
Fixed.
I updated the link.

I got the same system error again like in my previous post.

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 06:06:31 AM »
Oops...
I fixed this for D3D9.dll, but not for D3DX9_32.dll (it wasn't concerned before).

I fixed it just now. I updated the link.

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 03:09:06 PM »
Oops...
I fixed this for D3D9.dll, but not for D3DX9_32.dll (it wasn't concerned before).

I fixed it just now. I updated the link.

This works perfectly for Boho Koumakyou 2, but for Boho Koumakyou 1, the texts and graphics are replaced by white blanks. This is what the inventory menu looks like. (Ignore the number "56", I hacked the cake L amount because I wanted to explore every area of the dungeon in one run.)

And a text file titled "log" is created after exiting the game, heres the content:
DirectX D3DXCreateTextureFromFileInMemoryEx error
DirectX Texture Load error
DirectX Texture Load error
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:11:47 PM by Heartnet »

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »
Thank you for reporting this.

I already implemented the feature letting us replacing a picture with another one.
There is some translatable content in the picture containing the menu elements and some other things, so I set it to load the file menu.png instead of the original picture.
I disabled this feature in the versions I used to give you, but during my last refactoring (letting me add compatibility with other games more easily), I forgot to redo what lets me disabling this feature.

I may (or may not) redo this in a next release, but for now, I preferred to repair something else (which I also forgot to reimplement during my last refactoring) : the patch tries to load the picture from menu.png. If it fails to do this, it will load the picture normally, and save it into menu.png. It should also warn the user, like when it encounters an unknown text or an unknown texture, but I still haven't developed this part.
BTW, if you want to play a bit, you can try to edit menu.png once it is created.

I updated the link, as usual.

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 08:01:48 PM »
New bug found in boho1:
The map function does not work anymore, you'll see nothing when you try to open the full map.

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »
Ok.

I have no idea about why it happens.
I'll search tomorrow.

Edit :
Fixed.
It's quite technical, so I won't explain this bug (except if someone wants me to explain it).
It's the same link as usual, but it's quite far now, so I recall it : http://www.mediafire.com/download/1898523b1zqaiuk/boho_patch.zip
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:04:04 PM by brliron »

TwilightsCall

• 名探偵ヱリカ参上!
  • あなたの応手を拝見しましょう
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 12:08:35 PM »
A check to see how well I understood the formatting instructions.  I suspect there will be problems wherever there was a line with a very small number of characters, but that will depend on how your patch thingy works.

Keep in mind I translated from the text only, so I may not have produced the best translation on some of the vaguer examples.

...on that note, if anyone can tell me what this "slot" item is (ie what it does, how it looks in game, what happens when you use it), that might help me to derive an actually useful translation from the absolute mystery that the Japanese text left me with. 

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 01:21:58 PM »
...on that note, if anyone can tell me what this "slot" item is (ie what it does, how it looks in game, what happens when you use it), that might help me to derive an actually useful translation from the absolute mystery that the Japanese text left me with.
What the Slot does is that it increases the number of equipment slots by 1, which is located on the top right corner of the game display screen.
Before obtaining, you can only equip 2 items in the dungeon.
After obtaining, you can equip 3 items.

So in a sense, it's an item that appears to "float" on the screen?

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 06:25:37 PM »
Hello TwilightsCall. And thanks again for your help !

The file's format seems perfect. Because my patch still doesn't handle lowercase and some characters (like dot, coma or J), I don't post a version with all this now, but here is an example : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/40/1412013020-boho-koumakyou-red-scrap.png

I'll answer to the questions you let in the file :
##Corrected name to BLUE-SCRAP here, not sure if necessary? Or problematic?
L"BLUE-SCARP", L"BLUE-SCRAP",
It doesn't cause any problem. The only question is if we want to fix this error or not.
If we don't, people may think this is an error we made. So I think we should fix it.

##I don't really know what this is talking about.  Something about floating in the air and...arriving? Equipping? Sitting on?
##I don't think translating from the text alone is going to work with this one.  Also don't know if that weird spacey thing I did will work.
L"SLOT", NULL,
L"謎の四角い輪っか。宙に浮かびながら着いて来ま", L"A mysterious square loop.",
L"す。", L" ",
I think Heartnet said everything you need to know about this.
And putting a space alone will work. You can even put nothing between the quotes. Like this :
L"す。", L"",

##Depending on how exactly your patch works, the second line here might prove problematic.
L"KEY", NULL,
L"魔カに満ちた鍵。どこかの扉を開けるためのもので", L"A key filled with magic power. It can open a door",
L"す。", L"somewhere.",
No problem here.

##Not sure if said special button is a key on the keyboard or a thing in the game, so feel free to change this to make more sense.
L"WING", NULL,
L"レミリア專用装備。装備して特殊ボタンを押すと、", L"Remilia only. When equipped, pressing the special button",
L"飛行移動ができます。", L"enables flight.",
It's a key (C by default, can be changed through the config.exe).

##I don't know if its a problem to do what I did with that period...?
L"COZENY_3", L"COIN_3",
L"古めかしい小銭。どこかに入リたそうな雰囲気です", L"An old fashioned coin that feels like it wants",
L"。", L"to be inserted into something.",
What did you do ? I don't see anything weird.

And now, I have a question for everyone. Should we use another font ?
I'm not sure all texts will fit if we keep the same font. Here is a list of possibilities :
  • We can deal with it, and shorten the text when needed.
  • We can change the font width and / or height to have some more place.
  • We can use another font, which will be smaller.
  • Any other idea ?
On the technical side, each solution will be as hard as others (yes, even the 1st one, because I have to do something to handle lowercase characters).
I wait for your answers
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:31:48 PM by brliron »

TwilightsCall

• 名探偵ヱリカ参上!
  • あなたの応手を拝見しましょう
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 05:55:18 AM »
The thing I was concerned with was, if the translator program works by saying "whenever I see String X in Japanese, I'll replace it with String Y in English," then having a string consisting of just a period would replace all periods with a bunch of English text.  Just thought I'd highlight it in case it would cause problems, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

Font-wise, I really like the font in the picture you posted, but if size is going to be a problem...I'd say if its not too difficult, do what you can to shrink it, but either way I'm pretty happy with how that looks.  Maybe it would be better to check for how much overflowing we have before doing anything difficult though.

Anyways, have some place names and intro dialogue.  It occurs to me now that it was probably a huge waste of time to put the syntax stuff in the place names, since its an image, but whatever.  I guess it makes it easier for the image editor since they have the Japanese they need to replace right beside the English they need to replace it with.

Also, I mentioned this in the intro file, but two things there:
-All quotation marks in the dialogue were replaced with Single quotes because I don't know how to deal with quotation marks in your syntax.  It's probably something simple like %" or whatever, and I was going to ask so I could change it myself, but...then I finished the translation unexpectedly quickly.  I'll probably fix up the file after hearing what you want to do with that, but that's whats there right now.
-Flandre at one point calls Remilia 'Onee-sama.'  From a translating standpoint, naturally this would be 'Sister' or 'Big Sister.'  From a person who speaks English's standpoint, neither of those are appropriate ways to address someone, so I instinctively want to replace it with Remi's name.  From a Touhou fan's standpoint, it might make more sense to just romanize it and leave it as Onee-sama.  I've put 'Sister' in for now, but I can't say I'm happy with it.  Suggestions welcome.

And last but not least, here's an updated translation for the Slot (thanks Heartnet!).  A lot of the descriptions (including this one) are somewhat cryptic and...useless, but I decided it was better to maintain the original feel then make up a new item description of my own lol.

L"SLOT", NULL,
L"謎の四角い輪っか。宙に浮かびながら着いて来ま", L"A mysterious square loop. While floating in the air, you can put something inside.",
L"す。", L" ",

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 06:57:28 AM »
The thing I was concerned with was, if the translator program works by saying "whenever I see String X in Japanese, I'll replace it with String Y in English," then having a string consisting of just a period would replace all periods with a bunch of English text.  Just thought I'd highlight it in case it would cause problems, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.
Oups. I didn't notice this.
Yes, my patch works like this, so... I'll have to do something...
I think I'll let you put 2 lines of text in 1 sentence.
The character for line endings is \n, so the line above will be :
L"SLOT", NULL,
L"謎の四角い輪っか。宙に浮かびながら着いて来ま\nす。", L"A mysterious square loop. While floating in the air, you can put something inside.",
I think you won't need to put a \n in the english text, because I may be able to find where to put it myself. But I'm not sure, I'll give more details when I'll have made this.

Anyways, have some place names and intro dialogue.  It occurs to me now that it was probably a huge waste of time to put the syntax stuff in the place names, since its an image, but whatever.  I guess it makes it easier for the image editor since they have the Japanese they need to replace right beside the English they need to replace it with.
I just found a typo in what I asked. I was asking for the levels names on the left, but I wrote "right" instead.
But your translation let me see what the texts on the left are for, and indeed we need to translate them, so thank you.

-All quotation marks in the dialogue were replaced with Single quotes because I don't know how to deal with quotation marks in your syntax.  It's probably something simple like %" or whatever, and I was going to ask so I could change it myself, but...then I finished the translation unexpectedly quickly.  I'll probably fix up the file after hearing what you want to do with that, but that's whats there right now.
You can prefix them with a backslash. For example :
L"レミリア『ちょっと霊夢ぬっころしたいわね……』", L"Remilia: \"I really feel like beating that Reimu up a little...\"",

-Flandre at one point calls Remilia 'Onee-sama.'  From a translating standpoint, naturally this would be 'Sister' or 'Big Sister.'  From a person who speaks English's standpoint, neither of those are appropriate ways to address someone, so I instinctively want to replace it with Remi's name.  From a Touhou fan's standpoint, it might make more sense to just romanize it and leave it as Onee-sama.  I've put 'Sister' in for now, but I can't say I'm happy with it.  Suggestions welcome.
I think most of Touhou fans will be able to understand "Onee-sama".

A lot of the descriptions (including this one) are somewhat cryptic and...useless, but I decided it was better to maintain the original feel then make up a new item description of my own lol.
Yes, I think it's better to stay close to the original. If the original text is totally useless, there isn't any reason for our translation to be useful.

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »
It seems I made a typo when I was transcribing the ending texts.
I updated the script (same link), but if you already downloaded the old one, just take note of this:

望むらくは、その力も私が続べる秩序の中で活かして欲しかった......。

Change "続" to "統".
I apologize if that single kanji typo made the whole sentence incomprehensible :ohdear:

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »
Oups. I didn't notice this.
Yes, my patch works like this, so... I'll have to do something...
I think I'll let you put 2 lines of text in 1 sentence.
The character for line endings is \n, so the line above will be :
L"SLOT", NULL,
L"謎の四角い輪っか。宙に浮かびながら着いて来ま\nす。", L"A mysterious square loop. While floating in the air, you can put something inside.",
I think you won't need to put a \n in the english text, because I may be able to find where to put it myself. But I'm not sure, I'll give more details when I'll have made this.
To solve this problem, I decided to make another replacing algorithm. I'll keep the old one somewhere because it can be useful for other games (mainly the untranslated ones), but for my next releases here, I'll always use the new one.

The old one splits the text in lines, then try to translate each line.

The new one will first translate as much text as it can, then display the remaining text (if it exists) as is.
For example :
L"KEY", NULL,
L"魔カに満ちた鍵。どこかの扉を開けるためのもので\nす。", L"A key filled with magic power. It can open a door\nsomewhere",
The entry string should be "KEY魔カに満ちた鍵。どこかの扉を開けるためのものです。​". It will first read "KEY", and put it as is.
Then, it will read "魔カに満ちた鍵。どこかの扉を開けるためのものです。". It will then calculate the 1st line's position basing on "魔カに満ちた鍵。どこかの扉を開けるためのもので", and the 2nd line's position basing on "す。​". Next, it will write "A key filled with magic power. It can open a door" using the 1st line's position, and "somewhere"​ using the 2nd line's position.
At this point, if there still are some characters in the string which can't be translated, I'll either apply the old algorithm or put the remaining characters as is (I haven't decided yet).

Now, I have to program this. I think it won't take too much time.

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »
Done.
Now, I need to reimplement the logging interface (because the way I store characters changed a bit, so the logging have to change a bit internally).
Also, this new algorithm is useless as long as there isn't any text to translate, and none of the texts given by TwilightsCall works with my patch (My program crashes when it tries to display lowercase characters, comas or dots, so...). Therefore, the next thing I'll do is to make my patch support the lowercase characters, comas, dots etc. When it will be done, I'll release a new version of my patch.