Author Topic: [Music+Art] Making Melody Needs Love! Battle's Palette (OC Theme) (2/22/12)  (Read 191294 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Er...is that a good thing, or bad? I'm not thoroughly confident with my music mastering knowledge.
Quite good. Without it similar frequencies may conflict with each other and cause auditory distractions, keeping every part from being clear. It worked well in this case.

Granted, I'm also trying to learn more tricks and practices with composition and mastering as well, so....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:28:43 AM by 칼장 (ナイフ長) »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Anunsew

• No errors for 5 seconds!
  • Currently fueled by Infinite Love!
Decided to upload the Cirno remix on youtube
Youtube

:3

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Decided to upload the Cirno remix on youtube
Youtube

:3
Great remix!

I'll get a few notes down:

Guitars and drums seem a bit overpowering and the background pads/pizzicato strings are a tad quiet IMO. Also there's a bit of noise that can be patched with some more equalization and compression.
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

Guitars and drums seem a bit overpowering and the background pads/pizzicato strings are a tad quiet IMO. Also there's a bit of noise that can be patched with some more equalization and compression.

I always seem to mix drums a bit too loud, or too soft. Can't seem to get them to balance out properly. >.<
And my EQ skills is still a hit-and-miss.

Stage 2 Theme for 東方幻妖風 ~ City of Distortion
As requested by Karanum
Same 128kbps goodness, with hopefully improved techniques. :3

It's supposed to be an indoor theme, kind of like Parsee's stage, but then I kind of lost track in the middle...hehe. :P
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:32:31 AM by Kurozukin Anunsew »

Anunsew

Another uninspired update! YAY!
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2011, 01:38:14 AM »
An old midi, older than Highly Responsive to Prayers by around one year. Or more. I'm not really sure.
Deli Shop Quartet

I wonder if anybody even knows what game this track came from. O_o
It sounds really ZUN-ish, even before I applied any plugins to it. XD
And to think that this is a boss theme in an old shmup, it can pass off as a PC-98 game track. XD

So...I discovered that our family  PC had a weird sound card (really old, its a SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio card. It's around 7 years old...also the age of the PC itself). Since I've been feeling uninspired lately, I've messed around with the driver...(not normal behaviour, but  I was bored) and discovered that it had a built-in DLS loader and an alternate GM soundkit. Curious, I used the built-in Soundmax Yamaha XG-Lite soundbank on Marisa's theme, and this is what came out.

My only problem with the soundkit is that it doesn't route the music to my VST host when I use it. It routes the signal directly to Audio Out, thereby rendering any VST plugin useless. Still can't find a workaround. >.<

Oh yeah, this was recorded straight from WAVE OUT using Audacity. Tracks have not been edited in anyway.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:42:24 AM by Kurozukin Anunsew »

Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love...and Deli Shop Quartets~!
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2011, 02:26:54 AM »
Hmm, that sample set sounds MIDI-ish but more natural than the one that comes with Windows. That said, it sounds very fake for something from the middle 2000s, but I guess that's because MIDI wasn't a selling point anymore by then.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: Another uninspired update! YAY!
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2011, 03:13:03 AM »
So...I discovered that our family  PC had a weird sound card (really old, its a SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio card. It's around 7 years old...also the age of the PC itself). Since I've been feeling uninspired lately, I've messed around with the driver...(not normal behaviour, but  I was bored) and discovered that it had a built-in DLS loader and an alternate GM soundkit. Curious, I used the built-in Soundmax Yamaha XG-Lite soundbank on Marisa's theme, and this is what came out.

My only problem with the soundkit is that it doesn't route the music to my VST host when I use it. It routes the signal directly to Audio Out, thereby rendering any VST plugin useless. Still can't find a workaround. >.<

Oh yeah, this was recorded straight from WAVE OUT using Audacity. Tracks have not been edited in anyway.
Hey! This soundcard! I know what it is, and that soundbank is familiar (it was turned into a soundfont, and sounds like shit).

BTW here is an XG make of the song. It was done with the Yamaha S-YXG50, which is available from Windows Update for free (does not work post-XP). Sounds much better (even just raw samples), albeit editing and XG SysEx was used too.

I absolutely love the XG sounds despite their cheesiness, hence my reasons to try and get a MU 2000 EX (and SD-90 + SC-8850 but those are for different reasons).

EDIT: As for softsynths, I usually add them as synthesizer units rather than stick them in VST hosts, especially when using 6 or 7 of them (and <=50 Soundfonts, VSTis, and DXis) at once.

As a result of this I better get rtpMIDI working ASAP on my x201's 2k3 install so that I can use it as a synth module for Logic! YEAAAA ~
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:36:33 AM by HARU Channel Syndications »
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2011, 06:04:54 AM »
EDIT: As for softsynths, I usually add them as synthesizer units rather than stick them in VST hosts, especially when using 6 or 7 of them (and <=50 Soundfonts, VSTis, and DXis) at once.

As a result of this I better get rtpMIDI working ASAP on my x201's 2k3 install so that I can use it as a synth module for Logic! YEAAAA ~

First off, I have only little knowledge about soundcards and synthesis--if I sound stupid or it seems I don't know what I'm talking about...I don't. Anyway, here goes:

I have a problem with the relationship of the VST host on the midi table of my soundcard. When I play a midi file using SoundMax's Midi table (the one I tested with Marisa's theme) on FL, FL sends the midi signals just fine, but it does not detect the audio output (no level indicator changes, loaded VSTs doesn't affect audio output). Midi data and controllers work fine, however. Also, ASIO4ALL cannot be used while the SoundMax table is active (it generates a SynthCore Error).

While I cannot render the midi file into an audio format using FL, I can record the output audio via Audacity's Wave Out recorder.

I have little knowledge of how Midi signals are passed around in the system, and how the audio signal is routed from my software to the sound card, but I just want to ask if there is a way to work around this problem?

...maybe I'll just mess around with the configurations some more...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:27:48 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2011, 06:40:37 AM »
Try using Maple Virtual Midi Cable to link the output of the SoundMax card to ASIO.

I'm not entirely sure how this works, though, since I haven't needed it extensively.
Bad command or file name

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2011, 08:25:58 AM »
wow, the impact who do your last songs return me to here!!! i was looking songs in you tube, see your account and OH HOLY IMPROVED A LOT.
if you still taking requests...please do a song for Youki. please DO IT FOR THE LOVE OF ZUN. you are the chosen one. :3

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

Anunsew

« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2011, 08:53:47 AM »
Try using Maple Virtual Midi Cable to link the output of the SoundMax card to ASIO.

I'm not entirely sure how this works, though, since I haven't needed it extensively.

Hmm, I'll try it.

if you still taking requests...please do a song for Youki.

I might allocate some time for it. I need all the practice I can get. XD

for some reason, I have this urge to study 65c816...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:12:05 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2011, 09:23:36 AM »
for some reason, I have this urge to study 65c816...
...isn't that the SNES CPU? Also you may want to study the SPC700 (SNES sound chip).

I personally prefer the YM2610 though (SNK Neo-Geo's sound chip, which was FM + quite a few PCM channels). The other close ones are YM2612 (Sega Megadrive chip - FM + PSG) with the Ricoh RF5C164 (8-channel PCM on Mega CD) and the 32X's 2-channel PWM PCM (18 channels of glory) or the OPL3 (Sound Blaster 16) mixed with a wavetable synth like GUS and several MIDI boards (SC-55, MU-50, MT-32, etc.) Moreover PC98 was mostly FM synthesis on Yamaha chips (though different ones).
...yep, I love old sounds.

I find the Motorola 68K (Megadrive, Sharp X68K, Neo Geo, CPS1) plus Z80 (those, and more devices) easier to learn. Even if they are total nightmares in assembly (well the latter is from experience programming TI calculators D:), at least the former has good C compilers out there.

Alternate method of composing like the SPC700 or any of these older chips is to use a tracker software such as OpenMPT and write music with that instead, using VSTs, samples, etc. that are appropriate for the chip you desire to emulate (eg. for SNES sounds I'd have 8 channels, and put my samples at 16-bit 32kHz, though most games stuck to 8-bit mono 22kHz instead).

I'd note a few things about each system, but instead I'll tell you some things that are handy:
FM synthesis: VOPM is a great VSTi to use. Synth1 is also very good but is more general-purpose.
8-bit: Famitracker is the best for that NES/Famicom feel.
Sample-based: See the limits of the respective system.
Neo Geo-style: FM channels were used for bass as well as adding a few effects to the PCM base sounds (often reverb).
CPS1-style: PCM was at about 11kHz, hence those fuzzy drums in Street Fighter 2.
PC Speaker: Prepare to write at a VERY fast tempo if you want to simulate polyphony.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:45:27 AM by HARU Channel Syndications »
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #192 on: June 13, 2011, 01:59:52 AM »
Above post just saved me a lot of time for research. Thanks!  :D

Oriental Love Consultation

Tried to clean up my earlier version of Reimu's theme, then uploaded it to youtube. XD

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #193 on: June 13, 2011, 10:10:54 AM »
Eh, it was nothing :D

I'm trying to learn the gimmicks and whatnot of these older chips as well, while putting them into more modern contexts (eg. using VSTis or AUs to process FM sounds). Similar for MIDI stuff (in particular Yamaha MU modules and Roland Sound Canvas and SD modules such as the SD-90).

Feel free to ask me further about those chips, MIDI synthesis, etc. if it be needed.

I like this version of Oriental Love Consultation. Better and the sounds are more crisp. I can hear the parts rather distinctly (maybe except for the celesta).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:33:20 AM by HARU Channel Syndications »
Bad command or file name

Netwarrior

• Yeah that's a very pleasant attitude to have
Re: Just me messing around again...
« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »
Nope. My focus in real life is programming, and I'm still doing my studies.

Programming? Software Engineering, I guess?
I'm also in this thing, and I'm very fond of my skills (I'm currently studying Assembler SIMD extensions for 3D calculus optimization. Kinda tricky and rough, but gets easier by practice). I'm doing a game development course at college/university (I dunno the difference between these terms), but I already knew enough even before entering it.
What kind of software do you intend to make? More precisely, what area do you intend to work in?

I can teach you a thing or two. If you intend to work with games, I can recommend a handful of books that will surely be of great help.
When a child dies, we call the corpse an ADULT.

Dark

• wait wat
  • this is some text
« Reply #195 on: June 13, 2011, 10:51:58 PM »
Hey, it's DM again. I'd like to make a request for one of my (many) OCs. Sadly, I have no picture of her, but Ill profile her and send you it in a YT PM later.

Oh, I also know which plugin and patch ZUN used for the pianos post-PoFV: It's Super Quartet and the default Bright Piano patch.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:57:23 AM by The One Who Cannot Be Knifed »

Anunsew

Stage 2 Boss Theme for 東方幻妖風 ~ City of Distortion
as requested by Karanum. New and improved 128kbps goodness~
Now fortified with Zinc and Iron to boost your immune system, and Calcium for strong bones!

Melle's Theme

This is two loops + fadeout at the end.

I tried going for the classical "sonata" feeling at  the intro just to ready the mood, and then I made the verse piano part a little "song-ish". Since it's supposed to be depressing, I tried going with a negative movement in the chorus so it would sound desperate and miserable even at the tempo it's going.

It sounds pretty heavy for a second boss theme. XD

Experimented a lot with Sidechaining. It gives the illusion of bigger space, and makes mixing five or more instruments blaring out at once easier. This is especially essential in thInst.sf2, since some of their samples are badly recorded. Also, I had some fun with LFO2 and Envelope Controller of the Fruity Soundfont Player. :P

Sometimes, I wonder how The_EP do 50 tracks without having any frequency distortions...

Programming? Software Engineering, I guess?

What kind of software do you intend to make? More precisely, what area do you intend to work in?

I can teach you a thing or two. If you intend to work with games, I can recommend a handful of books that will surely be of great help.

I plan to focus on making games, but I'm still at the basic level. While I go to college, I'm pretty much self-taught on game libraries and stuff. I intended to learn XNA, but my PC doesn't have Pixel Shader (my PC uses and Intel Extreme Graphics card...it's as old as the soundcard). Right now I'm frolicking between C++'s Allegro, Python's pygame and ActionScript 2.0.

Also, I'm reading up on OOP, since I'm still confused about some basic concepts. I haven't even started on DirectX yet. :(

Internet is a great place to learn. :D

I like this version of Oriental Love Consultation. Better and the sounds are more crisp. I can hear the parts rather distinctly (maybe except for the celesta).
I gave up the celesta since it occupies way too much of the HF range (bad equalization from my part). Since it was meant to be a backer, I decided to drop it back into the background of instruments.

Well, that failure made me realize how important good EQ settings are. :3

Hey, it's DM again. I'd like to make a request for one of my (many) OCs. Sadly, I have no picture of her, but Ill profile her and send you it in a YT PM later.
Sure, but I can't cater to it right now. Aside from Karanum, I'm also doing another OC track. I hope it's okay for you to wait.  :ohdear:

But I plan to clear my backlog, eventually.
Dammit, it's like laundry.  :o

Oh, I also know which plugin and patch ZUN used for the pianos post-PoFV: It's Super Quartet and the default Bright Piano patch.

From what synthesizers/soundfonts are these?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:46:57 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Sometimes, I wonder how The_EP do 50 tracks without having any frequency distortions...
I can't do 50 tracks very well. Maybe up to 15 or 20, even 25, but 50? Eh...

I plan to focus on making games, but I'm still at the basic level. While I go to college, I'm pretty much self-taught on game libraries and stuff. I intended to learn XNA, but my PC doesn't have Pixel Shader (my PC uses and Intel Extreme Graphics card...it's as old as the soundcard). Right now I'm frolicking between C++'s Allegro, Python's pygame and ActionScript 2.0.

Also, I'm reading up on OOP, since I'm still confused about some basic concepts. I haven't even started on DirectX yet. :(
I don't like XNA and DirectX. Makes it difficult to port to other systems.
Allegro is good library. No idea about pygame. ActionScript is simple but *Flash*. Ugh, hate Flash like a bitch (run a few intensive Flash games on Mac OS and you'll quickly see what I mean).
I personally prefer SDL along with other middleware like OGRE (graphics), OpenAL (audio), and Bullet (physics), though. Much harder to write but also potentially more flexible for ports.

I gave up the celesta since it occupies way too much of the HF range (bad equalization from my part). Since it was meant to be a backer, I decided to drop it back into the background of instruments.

Well, that failure made me realize how important good EQ settings are. :3
Ah. Yep, EQ is most important.

From what synthesizers/soundfonts are these?
Super Quartet, a discontinued VSTi made by Edirol. The Jazz and Rock bass samples there are the same as the ones ZUN uses in the SD-90.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:05:34 AM by HARU Channel Syndications »
Bad command or file name

Dark

• wait wat
  • this is some text
Sure, but I can't cater to it right now. Aside from Karanum, I'm also doing another OC track. I hope it's okay for you to wait.  :ohdear:

It's alright -- I only wanted a midi anyway, I can handle the rest myself. XD

Netwarrior

• Yeah that's a very pleasant attitude to have
Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love...and Nightshades!
« Reply #199 on: June 17, 2011, 01:19:52 AM »

Internet is a great place to learn. :D

Problems with OOP? OOP is my speciality, but I had problems on learning it as well. It took me almost a year to finally understand Polymorphism (what is a hell of an useful feature of OOP, specially in ActionScript 3.0). One good way to learn these things is by reading about it on many different approaches, or at least it worked on me for understanding Polymorphism. A good book about C++ and OOP is Absolute C++, by Walter Savitch.

I studied XNA, but I found it way too complicated, or better, unnecessarily complicated. It's more worthwhile you study all the ways of DirectX than studying XNA. I recommend you start off with DirectX 9, and a good book about on it is Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX, SECOND EDITION (the first edition is on DirectX 8). But I would recommend you don't study anything graphic (SDL, Allegro, OpenGL, DirectGraphics...) until you can fully understand OOP. Take your time learning OOP, as well as at least two OOP languages other than C++/C#, such as Python or Java (I find Python more practical than Java).

About ActionScript, I know nothing about any ActionScript other than 3.0. But ActionScript 3.0+Flash CS4 or higher is a hell of an easy-to-use mean to make games. It is way, far more easier than C++ and any API, I guarantee it.

In short, I'd say it's way more worthwhile to study the rough and tough parts of programming than dwelling on tools and Engines. It doesn't pay to put lots of effort on learning things like Unreal Engine, Torque Game Engine, Irrlicht , and MFC or DirectX Wrappers alike, because you won't be really learning the ropes with them. It's better you to study the lowest levels as possible and then make your own tools and engines.
When a child dies, we call the corpse an ADULT.

Anunsew

Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love...and Nightshades!
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2011, 06:41:54 AM »
Triple Paradigm
Requested by: strawberrywitch from Youtube

This theme, while practically Gensokyo unrelated, was requested last December. Yes. Half a year ago. In December. What an inconsiderate, unorganized person I am. : /

Anyway, despite the long wait, I was able to improve on some things about mixing and composition. (Quite drastically, IMHO though there many more things I would like to improve upon, music-wise)

This mix is a lot more cleaner than some of my earlier works (Note the composition called "Eye of Painful Death" from Tanabata last year). I could say that I have improved a lot, like knowing when a mix is too over-compressed, and how it should be equalized properly. Composition-wise, I'm becoming more variant in melodies though I still need a lot more experience in that matter.

Well, I've gone past the first hill without much event, but the mountain is still over the horizon... -_-

Man, I hate it when I feel unmotivated...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:45:04 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

Dark

• wait wat
  • this is some text
Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love...and Paradigms!
« Reply #201 on: June 26, 2011, 04:57:16 AM »
Be thankful I'm mixing my own request. XD I'm terrible as a composer but I can mix stuff pretty well.

Anunsew

« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2011, 12:04:50 AM »
Be thankful I'm mixing my own request. XD I'm terrible as a composer but I can mix stuff pretty well.

Actually, it's kind of hard to make the composition as 'electric' as requested. :P

Dark

• wait wat
  • this is some text
« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2011, 08:08:43 PM »
It seems I'm terrible at description too! XD I merely meant the only "acoustic" instrument being drums.

Anunsew

Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love...and some witches!
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2011, 06:34:27 AM »

A sad attempt to make Witches' Ball~Magus...witchy. Call it a sad attempt in remastering/remixing, but I have the consolation of an excuse by saying that I only spent one hour fixing it from the original midi. So~

Anyway, I'm just taking a break from a break from my music breaks, but I plan to do another original theme soon. Probably DM's request, but I'm currently mentally unfit to hold any instrument at the moment.

Man, it's been so long since I smashed played a piano...

Is it just me or Witches' Ball is madness inducing?

I love harpsichords~ :P

Tired/Warm

• Apostatical Verdant Eudaemonaic
  • This is my danmaku.
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2011, 07:49:39 AM »
I *love* madness.

And even if it does end up inducing madness, it's plenty pleasurable to partake of. Actually, even though I've been feeling productive, I actually feel like writing... More. What is this bedevilry you have wrought upon me? Excellence! Saved and looped!

Awesome sig courtesy of Squawkers23! Thanks!

Oh, you're looking for words? My writing is here.
Do you remember me? I also remember you - and though we haven't met in so many days, I still know you and love your memories. If you stumbled upon this - good luck, in whatever you might do.

Anunsew

[Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love!
« Reply #206 on: July 07, 2011, 12:29:14 AM »
ビリビリパニック!  (Biri biri Panic!)
by: Anunsew
Biri Biri Panic! (MIDI)
Kinda sounds off in the typical Midi set native to Windows

Mp3 version (using SoundMAX XG-Lite synths, onboard integrated soundcard)

Bleh. I really do have a grandpa computer.

It sounds a little old, and repetitive. I guess it's my musical stump acting up again.

But it's kind of refreshing to compose in pure Midi (no plugins), and it was fun messing with the controllers... XD

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:31:26 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »

Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love!
« Reply #207 on: July 07, 2011, 02:45:27 AM »
Those saw and square waves have a very old school vibe to them. They might have been recorded from one of Yamaha's classic FM chips. The composition makes good use of them, and I think it could make for a good title screen theme for a early 90's-style shmup.

BTW, I noticed that the MIDI uses GM2 bank select MSB. Was that intentional ?

http://www.4shared.com/audio/k9ai50be/asdf.html
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:55:42 AM by Master Bigode the asdf »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #208 on: July 07, 2011, 04:04:41 AM »
Neat! It's got that retro Yamaha FM feel in the square waves. Sounds like PC-98 or Megadrive stuff.

I'd recommend getting hardware synths as well if you plan to keep this up. Prefer Roland and Yamaha ones, personally.
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
BTW, I noticed that the MIDI uses GM2 bank select MSB. Was that intentional ?

Yes. Needed it to access some of the other patches in the custom banks. (of course, it would probably have no effect on Microsoft GS Wavetable...)

I forgot to take them out when I finished recording the midi via Audacity. :ohdear:

http://www.4shared.com/audio/k9ai50be/asdf.html

What synths did you use for the above link? It sounds a lot cleaner. XD

Neat! It's got that retro Yamaha FM feel in the square waves. Sounds like PC-98 or Megadrive stuff.

I'd recommend getting hardware synths as well if you plan to keep this up. Prefer Roland and Yamaha ones, personally.

Thanks.
It could've been better if I used an analog drum set though. :P

Anyway, happy Tanabata~
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:29:23 AM by Anunsew of the Fake Moonlight »