Author Topic: [Music+Art] Making Melody Needs Love! Battle's Palette (OC Theme) (2/22/12)  (Read 191225 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs coffee, love...and uninspired Updates!
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2011, 04:44:02 PM »
For soundtables, I used Thinst.sf2 and Thdrums.sf2:
Acoustic and Bright Acoustic Pianos for string leads. Flutes and Whistles for wind leads. Vibraphones and Strings for accents.
Patch 49/0 (String Orchest) and Patch 53/0 (Choir Ahh) for padding and POWER drumkit for percussions.
Ah, THFont. Has a few good samples but not quite my cup of tea...or coffee....

As for VSTis, I just used Fruity Reverb and Parametric EQ to clean and refine the sounds. Added a Flanger to the pianos to get it sound a little more distorted. I used Fruity Limiter for monitoring the audio levels along with level compression. Finally, I slapped Maximus on the Master track for mastering purposes.

I don't like using too much of those fancy synths and VSTi, since I generally don't know how they work. I just read them up on the Internet whenever I think I need to use them. :P
Those are VSTs and not VSTis. The latter also has an instrument component, whether that be specialized instrument processors or MIDI synths or whatever.

I tend to use a crapton of these synths and VSTis, primarily to load SF2 files (via SFZ+ on Sonar and EXS24 synth on Logic).

Yeah, that exactly. At normal mp3 quality the music was over 90% of the game's filesize. (Read: twice as large as CtC)
I'm looking for the best way to compress it to a more reasonable size while maintaining as much of the original quality as possible.
This is the best I could come up with at the moment.
Usually normal MP3 is 128kbps CBR and doesn't take up much space (which is why so many use this format). If the sound file was THAT large chances are it is WAV (raw waveforms, uncompressed, lossless) and would obviously have to be converted for efficiency reasons.

I personally prefer OGG for game engines due to the need to license MP3 decoding with Thomson (...for commercial works and mass distribution, at least), however.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:05:11 PM by Miniscule Meiling's Picture Session »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Hyouga Kazu

• Legend Seekers, 0th Division Leader
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »
Usually normal MP3 is 128kbps CBR and doesn't take up much space (which is why so many use this format). If the sound file was THAT large chances are it is WAV (raw waveforms, uncompressed, lossless) and would obviously have to be converted for efficiency reasons.

I personally prefer OGG for game engines due to the need to license MP3 decoding with Thomson (...for commercial works and mass distribution, at least), however.
Hmm, my experience is that mp3 tends to be 256 or 512 kbps standard. Or maybe I just have oversized music files.
And hey, I never knew Danmakufu supports OGG files. Might as well convert them to OGG then.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2011, 01:41:20 AM »
Hmm, my experience is that mp3 tends to be 256 or 512 kbps standard. Or maybe I just have oversized music files.
And hey, I never knew Danmakufu supports OGG files. Might as well convert them to OGG then.
I really don't know much about Danmakufu and its sound file support, so I'd play it safe and go with MP3 for now.

My MP3s and M4As tend to be at 256kbps or 320kbps. 512 is far too much to be MP3, since most encoders only go up to 320. It can be M4A or AAC but usually those formats also follow the <=320 mark. Probably it is the oversized files, really.
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

• No errors for 5 seconds!
  • Currently fueled by Infinite Love!
« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2011, 06:49:22 AM »
Those are VSTs and not VSTis. The latter also has an instrument component, whether that be specialized instrument processors or MIDI synths or whatever.

I tend to use a crapton of these synths and VSTis, primarily to load SF2 files (via SFZ+ on Sonar and EXS24 synth on Logic).

Sorry, I didn't know the difference between the two until I read about it awhile ago. Anyway, the VSTi I usually use is PoiZone (the one I used in mixing Flan's theme), but I didn't use any for Mirage City. I find PoiZone (and other VSTi for that matter) a little intimidating to use, since they usually have so many things to tweak and learn.  :ohdear:
They're quite fun to use though. :D

...on another note Stage 1 boss theme is 50% complete. I just have to add a few more accents and stuff before I release it~

« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2011, 04:44:19 PM »
@VST types: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology#VST_plugins

Since you're into ZUN-style instruments, maybe you should try Edirol Hyper Canvas and Super Quartet. Both are pretty easy to use and edit IMO, and more flexible than soundfonts.
Hyper Canvas doesn't quite sound ZUN-ish (it does sound more ZUN-ish than THFont though...), but you can fool untrained ears with it. Overall it's not super good or anything, but it's better than most soundfonts out there.
Super Quartet has ok-ish stereo sampled pianos and ZUN's guitars/basses.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:46:35 PM by The only Master Bigode in the world »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2011, 04:54:30 PM »
@VST types: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology#VST_plugins

Since you're into ZUN-style instruments, maybe you should try Edirol Hyper Canvas and Super Quartet. Both are pretty easy to use and edit IMO, and more flexible than soundfonts.
Hyper Canvas doesn't quite sound ZUN-ish (it does sound more ZUN-ish than THFont though...), but you can fool untrained ears with it. Overall it's not super good or anything, but it's better than most soundfonts out there.
Super Quartet has ok-ish stereo sampled pianos and ZUN's guitars/basses.
I also recommend the Roland TTS-1, which is an upgraded version of Hyper Canvas that comes with Sonar and Home Studio. It sounds rather ZUN-ish (see Spaztique's TTS-1 remake project thread for examples) with proper tweaking.
Quick note on it: it is a DXi (DirectX Instrument) instead of a VSTi, and it will work on other DXi-supporting DAWs.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:56:59 PM by Miniscule Meiling's Picture Session »
Bad command or file name

« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2011, 05:01:15 PM »
I also recommend the Roland TTS-1, which is an upgraded version of Hyper Canvas that comes with Sonar and Home Studio. It sounds rather ZUN-ish (see Spaztique's TTS-1 remake project thread for examples) with proper tweaking.

Spoiler:
It's actually Hyper Canvas with an uglier interface.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »
Spoiler:
It's actually Hyper Canvas with an uglier interface.
Spoiler:
Unfortunately, that is true. On the other hand it interpolates slightly better with Sonar (likely because it's packed in).

@Anunsew: I also take it you're using ASIO when composing with the DAW? (WDM and DirectSound tend to do terribly for me....)
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2011, 04:58:46 AM »
@Anunsew: I also take it you're using ASIO when composing with the DAW? (WDM and DirectSound tend to do terribly for me....)

Nope, I only use DirectSound. I don't use any external synthesizers or input devices, so it doesn't make much difference.

I haven't checked out other synthesizers yet, but I might get around to it when I decide to take music making seriously. It's more of a hobby at the moment. :P
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:00:53 AM by Listless Anunsew »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2011, 05:12:53 AM »
Nope, I only use DirectSound. I don't use any external synthesizers or input devices, so it doesn't make much difference.

I haven't checked out other synthesizers yet, but I might get around to it when I decide to take music making seriously. It's more of a hobby at the moment. :P
I prefer ASIO for composition on Windows since it allows for more low-level interaction between OS and hardware, thus reducing latency and fuzziness and boosting DAW performance compared to background processes. ASIO, WDM, and DirectSound are all interaction methods for audio within a computer, and aren't as significant for external devices.
It can easily be used with the free ASIO4ALL (or even sound card drivers alone in a few cases) and configured within your DAW.

As for the other synths, it makes sense to expand later. At least you're starting with this, while I started back in 2007 with Anvil Studio (not good for serious work) and the built-in Windows-Roland MIDI synth (and we know how terrible that is). :D
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2011, 06:13:24 AM »
I prefer ASIO for composition on Windows since it allows for more low-level interaction between OS and hardware, thus reducing latency and fuzziness and boosting DAW performance compared to background processes. ASIO, WDM, and DirectSound are all interaction methods for audio within a computer, and aren't as significant for external devices.

So that's what it does. :O
I was confused with the definition from wikipedia.  :blush:
So can ASIO reduce the audio buffering problems whenever I run out of memory?

the built-in Windows-Roland MIDI synth (and we know how terrible that is). :D

I still use the piano and drum patches from that synth though.

...girls are now uploading...

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2011, 06:23:43 AM »
So that's what it does. :O
I was confused with the definition from wikipedia.  :blush:
So can ASIO reduce the audio buffering problems whenever I run out of memory?
Assuming by audio buffering you're referring to live playback, then it will lower buffering and latency issues.
Also, to put ASIO in slightly better terms (my past one was a bit off) it is a direct way to access sound hardware from software for primarily Windows systems.

I still use the piano and drum patches from that synth though.
OK. Drums are acceptable (Roland drum patches have been used very frequently in all sorts of music - even ZUN used to use them), piano not so much. But at least it's not the overdrive guitar or violin you're using (those are abysmal) :V
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

« Reply #162 on: April 30, 2011, 06:41:34 AM »

Stage 1 Boss Theme for 東方幻妖風 ~ City of Distortion
Jost's Theme

Same old 128kbps goodness within 2 loops + fadeout~

It was supposed to be aloof, but I...suppose it turned out a little more tsundere. (I think)
I was trying out an alternate drumkit (THdrum's TR-909 drumkit) along with some bass experimentation. It sounds a little rushed though.   :ohdear:

Assuming by audio buffering you're referring to live playback, then it will lower buffering and latency issues.

Hoh, I'll have to try this then. :D

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2011, 06:54:25 AM »

Stage 1 Boss Theme for 東方幻妖風 ~ City of Distortion
Jost's Theme

Same old 128kbps goodness within 2 loops + fadeout~

It was supposed to be aloof, but I...suppose it turned out a little more tsundere. (I think)
I was trying out an alternate drumkit (THdrum's TR-909 drumkit) along with some bass experimentation. It sounds a little rushed though.   :ohdear:
Definitely not aloof, IMO. More active if anything.

Good song. Though in the second trumpet melody the supporting electric pianos are a little strong for my taste.

As for the use of the analog kit and bass, I like those. Trumpet, though...seems a little bit too layered and could a little more reverb.

(Once exams are over I'll really need to get my works created and uploaded...and buy a new system to process them under both Logic and Sonar)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:56:10 AM by Miniscule Meiling's Picture Session »
Bad command or file name

Dark

• wait wat
  • this is some text
Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs coffee, love...and projects~!
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2011, 01:14:49 AM »
so i herd u use fl studio??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Memes aside, I've developed a GlaceVerb preset that combined with patch 57 of THFont, produces instant ZUNpets. You can find it here. Not that it only works with FL 10 sadly, as that's what I made it with, but it's pretty awesome.

Anunsew

As for the use of the analog kit and bass, I like those. Trumpet, though...seems a little bit too layered and could a little more reverb.

...That's one problem I've yet to fix when I try to submix more than three channels to one track. I'll try to add reverbs to see if it solves it. ~

Also, I've tried using ASIO4All, and it cuts down CPU overloads by half. :O
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:18:18 AM by Listless Anunsew »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
...That's one problem I've yet to fix when I try to submix more than three channels to one track. I'll try to add reverbs to see if it solves it. ~

Also, I've tried using ASIO4All, and it cuts down CPU overloads by half. :O
Maybe it's frequency conflict? Spaztique (TTS-1 remix project) suggests using compressor plugins to set specific frequencies for each instrument so that each one is clear and doesn't interfere with other similar-frequency instruments. Then again, I'm not sure if this is the issue at hand....

ASIO4ALL is really that impressive. I don't know how one could work with music in a Windows-based DAW and not use ASIO drivers...latency and overload are the problems with WDM and DirectSound. As for us Mac-based users, we already have Core Audio for that, so less configuration, whoo ~
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

Maybe it's frequency conflict? Spaztique (TTS-1 remix project) suggests using compressor plugins to set specific frequencies for each instrument so that each one is clear and doesn't interfere with other similar-frequency instruments. Then again, I'm not sure if this is the issue at hand....

I could try messing with my EQ settings on my next track. :P

Dark

• wait wat
  • this is some text
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2011, 01:46:31 AM »

ASIO4ALL is really that impressive. I don't know how one could work with music in a Windows-based DAW and not use ASIO drivers...latency and overload are the problems with WDM and DirectSound. As for us Mac-based users, we already have Core Audio for that, so less configuration, whoo ~

I wonder if WDM/DS is what's causing the preview distortion in FL on my end. Gonna look into that, as I installed ASIO with it.  :V

Netwarrior

• Yeah that's a very pleasant attitude to have
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2011, 01:45:47 PM »
Hello dude.
I remember when you released the Rin Satsuki's theme... Man, it was so long ago, now you're really getting it together when it comes to music composition.
Have you ever tried to find a music composer job or something related?

I was wondering... Can you make a, let's say, Rock N Roll version of Rin Satsuki's theme? You know, guitars, basses, solos... It would be very cool!
When a child dies, we call the corpse an ADULT.

Anunsew

Just me messing around again...
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2011, 08:16:10 AM »

Tried to do a different genre this time. It's actually Cirno's theme, but it's hardly noticeable until you get somewhere in the middle.

Have you ever tried to find a music composer job or something related?
Nope. My focus in real life is programming, and I'm still doing my studies.

I was wondering... Can you make a, let's say, Rock N Roll version of Rin Satsuki's theme? You know, guitars, basses, solos... It would be very cool!

I might try it out  sometime. I'm doing a bit of tinkering with guitars and basses lately, so it might be good practice.

flamezero16

• The Great Southern Trendkill
  • Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
I might try it out  sometime. I'm doing a bit of tinkering with guitars and basses lately, so it might be good practice.

Lemme know if ya want some help with the guitars Anney~ Im bored outa my skull over here.

Anunsew

Lemme know if ya want some help with the guitars Anney~ Im bored outa my skull over here.

I'll be sure to look you up if I need help, but as of the moment, I'm focusing on other stuff.
Plus, to be honest, guitars are kind of hard to mix. >.<

Anunsew

Oriental Love Consultation~!
« Reply #173 on: May 27, 2011, 07:16:56 AM »

My attempt to imitate Reimu's famous OHKO theme from TH12.3.
This theme didn't turn out as epic as the original though. It feels like it needs something more, but I can't seem to put my finger onto it.

Anyway, experimenting with GlaceVerb (introduced to me by DarkMeiling~) was fun, and it helped immensely in developing a proper EQ setting for the RomaT patch of thFont. Well, I think the trumpets in this track sounds more...trumpety.

I still wish that I can do ZUN guitars though. I heard that they're really tasty.

Three mugs of coffee...I feel like spinning around all day...
napasobra inom ko ngayon...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:21:45 AM by Kurozukin Anunsew »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Great rendition of this song. ZUNpets are quite accurate!

It isn't quite as epic, admittedly. I blame a few things -
 - Tinny drumset. Maybe a bit more amplification would help.
 - Guitars...eh, they sound like the cheap XG sets. If they were from an XG synth I wouldn't even be surprised! May need a better synth, soundfont, etc. to improve that....
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

- Tinny drumset. Maybe a bit more amplification would help.

Hmm, I did mix the drums a little softer than usual, my headset isn't being accurate again. I'll try to up the drums more next time.
Glad to know that percussions are still appreciated.

- Guitars...eh, they sound like the cheap XG sets. If they were from an XG synth I wouldn't even be surprised! May need a better synth, soundfont, etc. to improve that....

It's the Garcia patch from thInst.sf2. I don't have much info on guitar synths so any suggestion would help.  :ohdear:

EDIT:
On another note, I tried to remaster the drums and bass to offer a better alternative to my bad guitar samples:

In addition, it's hardloop-able, thus explaining the absence of fade-outs at the end...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:16:17 AM by Kurozukin Anunsew »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Sounds better, definitely! Liking the differences.

As for guitar synths...eh, this is always a tough one. I have about 30-40 guitar SF2s alone, and the overdrive and distortion ones all sound terrible. My MIDI softsynths and VSTis don't deliver justice for a full guitar sound either (but are plenty for "game-style").
For final mixes I use Logic for guitars. I start with a 80s guitar base sound and adjust the amp effects and reverb a good bit, add more overdrive, and there. One of my guitar-strumming friends noted that they sounded quite real.

Also, for a pretty mean (and rather easy to do) overdrive/distortion guitar, I'd recommend using an analog/digital synth instrument and couple it with a few amp effect and distortion/overdrive VSTs/effects. If done right it can sound really good (two examples being the "guitar solo" in Daft Punk's Aerodynamic and the melody FM guitar in this Tim Follin song on an unreleased Megadrive/Genesis game).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 02:06:11 AM by 칼장 (ナイフ長) »
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

Distortion and Overdriven guitar mixing
by Filix

It's Through the Fire and Flames. Mixing and soundfonting was done by my brother (I helped in mastering though).
The patches for the guitars used were Les_Sus_0_30 (patch 31 of thInst.sf2) and Garcia_0_29 (patch 30).
Er...disregard the trumpets, they're supposed to fill in as the vocals.

I found the Midi file from Google (Midi Plaza to be exact) then he asked if he can borrow it, and this is the result. This was done using thInst.sf2 and thdrums.sf2, no real instruments are used. The aim of this track is to emulate a realistic electric guitar amp sound using thInst.sf2.

Since the Midi and mixing wasn't done by me, I can't tell much about how this was done. However, I think it's related to how you fine tune the pitch bends of fast notes...I'm reading up some piano roll techniques for guitar synths from various forums.
:3

I wish I could mix guitars like this though. I guess its time to copy again...  :ohdear:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:15:34 AM by Kurozukin Anunsew »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Distortion and Overdriven guitar mixing
by Filix

It's Through the Fire and Flames. Mixing and soundfonting was done by my brother (I helped in mastering though).
The patches for the guitars used were Les_Sus_0_30 (patch 31 of thInst.sf2) and Garcia_0_29 (patch 30).
Er...disregard the trumpets, they're supposed to fill in as the vocals.

I found the Midi file from Google (Midi Plaza to be exact) then he asked if he can borrow it, and this is the result. This was done using thInst.sf2 and thdrums.sf2, no real instruments are used. The aim of this track is to emulate a realistic electric guitar amp sound using thInst.sf2.

Since the Midi and mixing wasn't done by me, I can't tell much about how this was done. However, I think it's related to how you fine tune the pitch bends of fast notes...
:3

I wish I could mix guitars like this though. I guess its time to copy again...  :ohdear:
Quite good for just THFont! Trumpets were great too - maybe this is progress towards DaiZUNke Senouwatari style! :D

Much of it comes from fine pitch, expression, etc. modifications that are often handled via SysEx messages and/or the SF2 wrapper (such as the VSTi SFZ+ or Logic's EXS2 sampler).

I can tell there was a bit of mastering, all right. Compression seems to be somewhat evident.
Bad command or file name

Anunsew

I can tell there was a bit of mastering, all right. Compression seems to be somewhat evident.

Er...is that a good thing, or bad? I'm not thoroughly confident with my music mastering knowledge.